Finding Past Memories

Letters To The Future [KAI]

[SuYun’s POV]

I walked into the familiar room, the one from my childhood. It felt so nostalgic to be back in this room. To be back in Korea. To revisit those memories from the past.

At the time, I always thought these memories would cause me pain, but I was happy I had them now. They made me who I am today.

Even though the memories were rushing back to me, I looked through the room as if this was my first time seeing it.

I looked through every cabinet, every drawer and every piece of paper. Trying to remember where each had come from and why I kept it. Then I came across something.

Something I forgot has ever existed, something that had changed my life.

It was my EXO CD’s I had every album of their since they debuted. Every. Single. One.

I never thought I’d see them again, they were placed all the way in the back of my mind, because they’d been surreal. Almost like cartoon characters. They weren’t like everyday people to me.

With those albums, I also found a stack of letters. A stack of letters I wrote to Kai. To the Kai that was never real. He was merely a character on television. A voice in my ipod. An image in my mind.

That’s all he was and yet, he was so much more. He was the one to save me from society, to save me from falling, and to glue me back together when I was broken.

It was weird, reading through those letters and experiencing what I’d felt once again, it almost took me 3 hours to finish reading them. Where was Kai now? Was he still as imaginary as he was back then or had he become human?

I decided to look it up on the internet. Google was one of my best friends after all, and then I saw it. Kai was real. He wasn’t an idolized singer anymore or anyone famous. He was just someone forgotten in the entertainment industry, like many others.

Someone who wasn’t recognizable to most when he walked down the streets now.

A businessman. He was just one of us. A young man that was applying himself to be able to achieve something.

I stared at the letter for a long period of time before finally making my decision.

It was best to let him know now. He’d probably forgotten himself that he’d helped so many people, so many girls. Not just me probably.

I hurried to put it in an envelope and write the address shown on the internet on the envelope. However, I hesitated to put it in the mailbox.

He should know right? It was a comforting thought. That even without knowing it, just by doing what you do best you could help so many people. A comforting thought in times of stress. A happy thought.

After contemplating it, and finally deciding to do it, I slipped one of the letters in the mailbox. I also included a note on a yellow post it inside the envelope.

“I wrote you letters, years ago. When you used to be part of that band EXO. I think… this is the most important letter I’ve ever written, not only to you, but to anyone in my life. So I thought you should read it…

Be happy that you exist, because if you didn’t I might not have.”