01

Beyond The Grave

“We need to move fast. She’s losing too much blood.”



“She’s unstable. Get the doctor. Quick!”



“He’s in Room 117A.”



“Then go get him, Minseok!”



The nurses dressed in plain white uniforms had splatters of red on their shirts as they continued to push the hospital bed to the operating room. Practically all of them were yelling directions, and swarmed around the bleeding, unconscious girl.

 

"My baby!" wailed a hysterical, brown haired woman, her head buried in her shaking hands. A man who looked like he was in his 40s whispered comforting words into her ear, but his hands were also shaking, his voice wavered, his breaths were short and weary, and his eyes held thousands of different emotions – with the dominance of fear. For some reason, Minseok felt nervous on talking to the couple since it was his first day of being an official nurse. His steps were uncertain but nonetheless, he approached them.

 

“Excuse me ma’am, are you the girl’s mother?” The older woman didn’t say a word. She was crying her heart out at the sight of her daughter’s bloody appearance.

 

Her husband came to her rescue as he intervened. “Kwon Ilsoo. I am Myungji’s father and this is my wife, Kim Gyura,” he said in a strained voice.

 

Dr. Song strode quickly around the corner, almost in a run.”Minseok-ssi, give me a briefing,” he asked in a stern, determined voice.

 

“Doc, it was a car accident. There were 4 people involved and 2 of them were dead on arrival. We’re trying to save the remaining two and Kim Myungji, ” Minseok quickly drifted his eyes to the couple who were listening to him as if assuring that he said their daughter’s name right. “She’s in critical condition right now.”

 

“She’s lost too much blood.” Minseok lowered his voice so the parents couldn’t hear them. “We don’t know if she’ll survive.”

 

Dr. Song then bowed to the parents and assured them that they’ll do the best they can to save the girl’s life. Both of them left the couple and went inside the operating room.



 

Baekyun’s POV

 

There was something about the night that made me so uneasy the whole time I was sitting next to my family for a Saturday night dinner at our house. Myungji and her family’s suppose to be here with us since my dad and her dad are close friends. It’s odd how they’re not here yet.

I played with the green peas on my plate as I tried to poke them with my fork. I stared blankly at my food when my mom tapped my shoulder.”It’s bad etiquette to play with your food, Baekyun-ah,” she weakly smiled.


 

“I know,” I said nonchalantly while I continued to play with the peas. “But mom... where’s Myungji and her parents?”

 

Mom’s brows raised as she breathed in. “I don’t know, son.” And as if on cue, mom’s phone rung. “Hello, Ilsoo?” All of a sudden, my mom’s face turned paled and gaped at what Myungji’s father had said on the other side of the phone. “Where are you? We’ll go there right now...yes..I understand,” mom said in an anxious voice.

 

“What happened?” My dad asked without lifting his gaze from his food.

 

“It’s Myungji. She got into a car accident.” Dad and I practically shot Mom a shocked face. Did I hear it right? No it couldn’t be. Just NO.

 

“Mom, where is she?” She flashed me the address from her cellphone and i automatically stood up and exited the dining area.

 

“I’ll be taking hyung’s motorcycle,” I yelled while hovering towards the garage. I heard mom protesting but I’m not sure what she said exactly. What ever it is, it won’t stop me from getting to that hospital as fast as I could.

 

I threw a leg on the other side of the bike, putting on my crash gear and sitting myself comfortably. I acquainted myself with the footpeg and inserted the key. As I pressed the power, I quickly twisted the accelerator and shifted the gear from it’s neutral state. I knobbed the grip and made my way out of our house gate.

 

The wind gushed all through out my body and just the thought of Myungji being hurt was enough to make me go into full throttle. I can’t lose her, no, not like this. And to think I hadn’t been able to tell her how sorry I am and how I love her so much. I shouldn’t have made her cry -- I regretted everything that happened that night. And as I fought back the tears inside, I replayed that one faithful night -- 5 days ago.




“Why did you hide the truth from me, Ji?”



“I didn’t intend to do that. It’s just that...”



“It’s just that... what? So we’re going to be like this now?”



“Baekyun-ah, you have to listen to me.”

 



“I am listening, Ji. I have always been but you didn’t trust me -- you never did.”

 


“I-- I...”


 


“What am I to you, Ji?” Her head suddenly dropped to the ground and painful silence deafened the both of us. “Myungji-ah, answer me. What am I to you?”

 

 


“I-- I’m sorry, Baekyun-ah... I’m really sorry...” Tears started falling off her precious eyes. The sight of it made me ache so much that I felt my lungs crushing my heart, making it hard to breathe. She her heels and ran far away from me.


 

 


I could have chased her that day and told her I’m sorry and that I’ll try to understand her but it seemed like my pride took over me. What have I done?

 


I carelessly parked the motorcycle in front of the hospital and ran inside. I flipped my phone open and called Mr. Kim, Myungji’s father.


 


“Abeoji, where are you?” Her father informed me that they were at the operating room 117A. When I got there, Myungji’s mom was weeping sorrowfully at the side benches as Mr. Kwon comforted her.

 


“Where is she?” I spoke between pants.

 


“Baekyun-ah!” Myungji’s mother stood up and launched herself towards me. I quickly pulled her into a hug as she cried.


 


“Eomeoni, it’s going to be alright.”

 


“Baekyun-ah, what have I done wrong that the heavens punished my daughter like this? Tell me. What have I done wrong to deserve this?”


 


Mr. Kwon stood up at the sound of the operating room door opening. The doctor was still wearing a mask and he was holding a clipboard. “How’s my daughter,” he asked.


 



The doctor heaved a sigh and formed a thin line with his lips. “She’s doing fine... for now”

 


 


“But you sound like you’re unsure of yourself,” Myungji’s mother spoke in a firm voice.


 



“It’s just that she has lost too much blood and the fact that the injury was mainly on the head makes it more critical than it could ever be.” The doctor removed his mask, giving us a better view of his face.

 


“What’s her status?”


 


“50-50, I’m afraid to say but it was a miracle how she survived the impact. Judging from the people involved, only 2 out of 4 survived the crash. I’m really sorry Mr. & Mrs. Kwon. This is the best we could get at the time being. If she pushes through tonight then there’s a higher chance that she’ll live. But if she does...”

 



“But if she does, then what?” I butted in their conversation, earning a knowing look from the doctor.

 


“It’s either she stays in a coma or have a serious damage to her brain which sometimes causes memory loss and retardation.”

 


The doctor excused himself and left. I couldn’t help the tears from falling. She may or may not live for tomorrow and if she does, it’s either she’ll be in a coma or have serious brain damage effects. Either way, she had suffered so much and there’s nothing i could do to help her. Myungji-ah, please don’t give up on this -- please don’t give up on us.  

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

 

First chapter up after Bacon's birthday ♥ Hope you like this! Comments are loves =) ADIOS!