Wh-what?

Please have a seat!

"Yes, please have a seat, Mr. Son. The doctor will see you shortly," you told the elderly man in front of you. He nodded solemnly with his eyes closed and moved slowly away from the counter to a seat along with the other patients that waited. No one came to accompany Mr. Son, even though he was nearing 90 and often complained of a sore back. 

"Hey," someone disturbed you with a pat on your shoulder. You turned back to look at Jina, a mother in her late 30's who you considered your own mother in the clinic. She took care of you when you first applied and she took care of you even now. "How much longer are you working today? You know it's going to be raining tonight, don't you?"

"Ah, really?!" you exclaimed, alarming some of the patients that were almost dozing off. After apologizing to them, you turned back to Jina. "I still have four hours to go, and I forgot my umbrella..." 

She laughed, rubbing your shoulder in reassurance. "I knew you'd forget, so I brought an extra one in case." she said, heading to her bag to produce a small yellow umbrella. 

You lavished her with your words of praise and went back to work, sorting the patient reports to the appropriate doctor and doing your fair share of entering data onto the system. Jina went to clean up after the patients when they left the rooms, coming once in a while to help enter data or sort reports.

The rain started two hours later and you sighed with relief, knowing you had an umbrella to keep your head dry on the way home. 

Patients came and went, some taking a maximum of five minutes with the doctor and some taking thirty. Some patients looked relieved after their appointment and some seemed hearttrodden, but the clinic's waiting room remained endlessly quiet. 

The clock struck 7:30 and you were preparing to leave at 8, so you took out your house keys and packed the rest of your belongings like your water bottle and ID into your bag. Jina was somewhere in the patient rooms, putting on new sheets on the beds and fixing the chairs before the next wave of patients came in, most likely. 

7:55pm and you were just about to head out when quick footsteps made their way toward the counter. "Miss, miss!" 

You looked at the watch on your wrist and sighed. Did this patient have to come at such an inconvenient time? "Jina-sshi," you called in the patient rooms but she didn't respond. Where could that woman be? "I'm sorry sir, but someone will come to you immedi—," you paused when you turned around. On his hand was a cloth that was wound several times around the palm, a red fluid fighting to stain the rest of the cloth. 

"A-ah!" you gasped, never having to deal with situations that involved open woundsbefore. You removed your bag and went to the front counter, placing a palm on his back and leading him into a procedure room to have him seated. 

He didn't say a word until he was seated on a chair. "Thank you," he smiled weakly, wincing at the throbbing pain coming from the laceration of his palm. "But don't you need my personal information first?" 

You looked out the hallway to see if any of the doctors were done with a patient. "Well, yes but... I can trust that right after the appointment, you'll give it to the lady in front, okay?"

"Why don't you take it?" he laughed, lightening the mood. "You don't like seeing blood?"

"Don't be silly," you lied, trying to look nonchalant. "I see blood all the time in this clinic."

He took it seriously and kept silent, even though he could have argued ahead. 

"Looks like the doctors are busy tonight.." you sighed, taking another peek at the hallway. "Here," you said, taking his arm and laying his palm on an absorbent pad. "While there's no doctor here yet, I can at least clean the wound a little and prepare the tools." You unwrapped the layers and layers of cloth, the red stain only getting darker and wetter. 

On a nearby procedure tray you placed the standard tools and some gauze to absorb some blood before and after the minor surgery. You took some cotton from the containers in the shelves and placed the alcohol nearby so the doctor would waste no time getting the stitches together. 

"So, I'm Park Yoochun. What about you?" 

"That's confidential." you smiled, looking at the shelves to see what other tools the doctor may need. It was a good thing you had already removed your ID and placed it in your bag. 

"Oh? But I just told you mine, didn't I?" he laughed, quirking his eyebrows. 

"That was your own choice, and mine is not to share my name." you gleamed at him like you did to the annoying patients that came by. 

"Ah, if that's how it is, then." he silently nodded, no longer trying to play around.

You took your rubber gloves off and threw them in the trash. "Well, until a doctor comes, please stay put and don't go anywhere. Have a pleasant evening!" you said and took off, running into Jina on the way to retrieve your bag. "Patient in the procedure room, don't forget to get his information, omonim." you bowed and took your leave. 

Under the rain, you walked quietly to the bus stop and found it hard to hear anything as the only thing ringing was your heart. "Park Yoochun, huh?"