Home

Say No

Chapter One – Home

A frosty-brisk wind swept Kim AeSook’s dark hair toward the sky. It was nearing midnight and the night sky was shrouded with dark clouds. Her self-study sessions were becoming more and more intense by the day. She sighed, reminding herself that it was all for her goal—to become a doctor. A small smile crept onto her features—thinking of all the people she will be able to help once she had become one filled her with joy. As she turned the corner to the street where her modest home resided, something caught her eye. Under the illumination of the lone streetlight on her street, coincidentally in front of her house, stood a boy. AeSook’s first instinct was to run, then it hit her, she couldn’t really run if her house was right there. She huffed, and started a quick paced walk to the front gate of her house.
            The shuffle of her footsteps echoed off the black lacquered gates, hiding the lives and secrets of the families behind them. The boy looked up, his dark eyes following her movement toward her front gate. She kept her head low, pretending to have not noticed him as she shoved her hand into her bag, fingers desperately searching for her keys. A relieved sigh escaped AeSook’s lips as her cold fingers wrapped around the surprisingly warm metal. “Is this the residence of Miss Kim AeSook?” She her breath in. Slowly, she turned her head toward the lamp post. Her eyes were quickly met by the stranger’s own. She stuck her nose up, attempting to give herself a rather aloof air. Her voice betrayed her actions, as it was a shaky—almost hoarse—sound, “Who wants to know?” Rapidly closing the space between them, the boy’s warm breath was in her face, with AeSook against the front gate, her hands still clutching the keys. Her eyes darted from the boy to the rest of the street. There must be someone, anyone who can get me out of this, she thought. He chuckled, “Would the name Shin DongMin mean anything to you?” She twitched and that was all the reaction he would need. “He’ll meet you at Lotte Hotel World, same place, same time.” And with that, he was gone.
            She placed her forehead on the smooth wood of her front gate and released the breath she was holding. Whilst twisting the key, the thought of the finality of this meeting fluttered across her mind. She was frustrated, as she climbed the staircase toward her room, she grumbled inwardly toward herself. It was her last year in secondary school, if she didn’t get her act together for the College Scholastic Ability Test, she didn’t even want to think of the consequences. Shrugging off her uniform, a yawn escaped this stressed teenager’s lips. She glanced exhaustedly at her clock—fifteen past one—thank goodness it was a weekend tomorrow, she thought. Slumping onto her bed, AeSook snuggled closely to her pillow, falling into an undisturbed slumber.
            Bleep. Bleep. Bleep! An irritated groan escaped AeSook’s throat. Squinting her eyes shut in an attempt to fall back asleep, she waved her arm in the direction of her clock, failing to find it and turn off the alarm. The bright sunlight reflecting off the grey clouds outside her window fell over her in an almost mocking way—telling her that falling asleep would be a futile goal. As she rubbed the sleep away from her eyes, AeSook made the slow motions of one that had just awoken from a deep slumber. She dragged her feet as she lifted herself from her bed and made her way to the bathroom. It was still early, and the house was still quite silent. Grabbing a towel on her way, she closed the bathroom door quietly; turning the knob to make sure it was locked. Once she had the shower to let the water warm, she inspected herself in the mirror. Her straight black-brown hair was tangled, she had dark bags under her eyes from lack of sleep, and one small pimple was starting to grow on the tip of her nose. Her eyes zeroed in on the red bump, willing it with all her might to go away. She snapped back to reality when she noticed the mirror beginning to fog up with steam. Slamming her hand on the clock-radio upon the bathroom vanity, she let the melodies and harmonies of most current and popular musicians fill the heavily steamed room. Stripping her pajamas quickly she stuck her foot into the shower, testing the heat of the water.
            Letting the hot water and steam engulf her cold body, AeSook shivered, enjoying the contact of warm water on her cold bare flesh. Scrubbing away the dirt and dead skin cells, her ears picked up the soothing melody of one of her favorite ballads. Humming along quietly, she continued her routine cleansing herself of the filth from daily routines. Finally rinsing the shampoo suds from her hair, she stumbled out of the shower, wrapping herself in a warm fluffy towel just as another ballad ended. “And that was Presents by K.Will. You are tuned into KBS Cool FM Radio. Coming up next we have I Hope by F.T.Island, enjoy!” Midway through combing her soaking wet hair, AeSook’s eyes bulged—halting her actions abruptly. Her eyes glazed over, as an almost psychotic smile appeared on her lips. She finished brushing a length of hair just as her favorite part of the song came blasting from her speakers. As if her brush was a microphone, she screamed into it with a passion of a thousand suns, “I see you again and you, you are my love. I see you hundred times and I, I am your lov— Suddenly, before she could get to the best part, she was interrupted by a loud rapping upon the bathroom door. “AeSook! Get out of there; I need to go real bad!” She sighed. Slamming her fist on top of the clock-radio on the bathroom vanity, she swung open the door—revealing her older brother—who seemed to be dancing to an unknown beat. When he noticed the door was open, he pushed past AeSook to the toilet. She rolled her eyes, making her way back to her bedroom. It was twenty till ten, and then something clicked in her head. She began rushing around her sleeping quarters, grabbing clothes she deemed worthy of wearing today and tossing them upon her bed. I’m going to be late! This isn’t going to be good, she thought as she frantically dressing. Her white chiffon shirt was hastily tucked into her black pencil skirt. She grabbed her matching blazer from the closet as she flew out of her room, crashing right into her brother. “Oppa…” she groaned whilst she rubbed her now slightly bruised side. “Watch where you’re going stupid,” he managed to huff.
            AeSook laughed, rolling off her brother while grabbing his hand to help him up. Leaning on his younger sister for support, the siblings made their way toward his bedroom. Once she got him back in bed, AeSook scolded him, “You know you’re not suppose to run around. Omma would have killed you if she caught you.” She swept a stray tendril of hair away from his eyes. He stared at her with a gaze that oozed pure sorrow. Sighing, AeSook continued, “But don’t worry, I’ll get you better. I promise.” Smiling, she stood, wishing her brother a good day. Grabbing breakfast and a suitcase filled with paper work on the way out the front door, she ran out of her front gate.