CHAPTER 1 - Final

No Happy Endings

Jooyoung. Ugly. Nerd. Poor. These were only a small proportion of her flaws. She knew that the kingka was playing with her heart when he asked her out. But she was so used to the bad attention, she wanted to feel that someone cared. Even if it was pretend. And she had a crush on him for two years straight, anyhow.

But Baekhyun found himself falling in love with her. What reason, he didn’t know. But he started to be sincere. Jooyoung feeling tired of the fake relationship, confronted him.

“Yah! Baekhyun. When are you going to say you were playing with me? It’s already been a month. That’s longer than usual that you toy with girls.”

“Look. Jooyoung. Let me just say something. I admit I was playing with you at first, but I fell in love with you. Hard. I love you Jooyoung. Please believe me.”

Jooyoung, not seeing this coming looked down at her feet.

“How do I know you’re telling the truth?”

Baekhyun leaned in. Knowing that Jooyoung was shy he approached slowly. And he kissed her. Since it was Jooyoung’s first kiss she didn’t know how to react. And why was Baekhyun approaching her so slowly? He usually went on for a full on make out. She softened. He must really like me. She closed her eyes.

~

“Jooyoung-ah. We’ve been dating for a year already. Why do you still not want to meet my parents?”

“Oppa. I’m just worried they won’t accept me.”

“Don’t worry. They’re not that bad. You’ll have to meet them anyway”

Baekhyun tried to sound as convincing as possible. He himself didn’t know how his mother would react. She was different. She was arrogant in many ways. Wanting all the riches. Wanting the best for her and her son, even if it meant a few people’s lives were ruined along the way.

“Fine. I’ll come.”

But Baekhyun didn’t know that she’d react this badly.

Baekhyun winced as the vase just missed his ear. Jooyoung’s eyes were b with tears from the random insults Mrs. Byun was throwing at her. She bit her lip in embarrassment.

“That’s it! I don’t want to see this girl’s face anymore! She’s hideous. Baekhyun, you can’t be in love with her. If this is a joke, it’s not funny!”

Jooyoung bowed and left the house. Baekhyun stood up to run after her, but all he got was a slap on his left cheek.

“Omma!”

“Baekhyun-ah. This is for your own good. She won’t be a good housewife. Her dad works at a CONSTRUCTION SITE! It’s dangerous and you don’t even get that much money. I wonder if she’s even got 1000 won on her. And her kids anyway will puke at her face every morning. You don’t have to put up with her. Is this one of Chanyeol’s dares? Are you going to be this persistent for a rat?”

“SHE’S NOT A RAT!”

Baekhyun’s face was burning in the anger his mum was bringing him.

“Ok. You’ve made me decide. You’re getting married next month. Then she won’t get in the way.”

~

No matter how much Baekhyun tried, his mother just wouldn’t accept Jooyoung. Jooyoung was still in attempts to make his mother like her, even getting cooking lessons, so she could give Baekhyun lunchboxes so he could show his mother.

But she just looked at the rice in disgust.

“SHE touched this?! Did she even wash her hands?! Probably not. Not enough money for water bills.”

~

The day of the wedding got closer and closer. But Baekhyun didn’t have the heart to betray his mother.

Baekhyun sighed. It was the day to buy the wedding dress with his fiancé and also the first time he’d meet her since he refused to go on a date.

Walking into the store, he saw the girl. She was beautiful. But her beauty didn’t captivate Baekhyun like it used to.

“Annyeonghaseyo. Choi Minah imnida.”

She bowed in respect. Baekhyun didn’t reply. At least she’s not a . He thought that until she said,

“Oppa, can you look for a dress. You are my husband after all.”

She emphasized the word husband and smirked. She continued,

“At least appa didn’t set me up for someone ugly. You’re hot though.”

Baekhyun sighed. I take back all the nice things I said about her her.

“I don’t care. You’ll probably look ugly in everything. And listen, I’m not going to marry you. I’m going to marry my girlfriend. I’m meeting her later, so hurry and choose something.”

~

“Omma. Please don’t let me marry her.”

“Not until you dump your girlfriend, Baekhyun.”

“Fine. I’ll leave. I’m not marrying her. She’s a .”

“It would make more sense if you were saying that about your girlfriend. Minah is sophisticated and educated! She’s perfect for you!”

Baekhyun didn’t reply and just got out a small bag and packed his valuables. His mum stood in front of him and sneered.

“Leaving will do no good. I’ve already got bodyguards outside her house. When you step out of this house to leave, I’ll tell them to kill her. I’ll let her go if you stay. It’s just a call away.”

Baekhyun couldn’t believe what his mother said. But obviously not having a choice, he slumped upstairs without a word.

“I think I’ll go pay a visit to the girl.”

~

“Ah. Jooyoung. I need to speak to you.”

“Oh yes. Mrs. Byun. Come in.”

“It’s ok. I won’t be here for long.”

She faked a smile and held out a folded piece of paper. Jooyoung took it and absorbed the calligraphy writing.

You are cordially invited to celebrate

The wedding of

Byun Baekhyun

And

Choi Minah

On Saturday afternoon

June the21st

At one o’clock

Thirty-five East Olivet Avenue

Jooyoung froze. What could she do now? It was over. But she somehow had the feeling she still had a chance. That’s what happened in dramas and stories, right? Something would happen and she’d be accepted.

“I presume you’re coming?”

Jooyoung shot out of her thoughts and nodded slowly. She may as well see her boyfriend get married. But her mind couldn’t accept it. She’d have a happily ever after somehow.

~

This was it. Her boyfriend was getting married. But not to her. She couldn’t bear to talk to him so she ignored all his calls. She couldn’t do anything anyway.

Amongst the excited chatter, she was the only one silent. She sat down at the back, hoping that she’d look invisible to everyone and just be there.

Everyone turned their heads, including her when the bride walked down the aisle. Even she was mesmerized by her beauty. She couldn’t just say she was beautiful. It’d be an understatement. It was funny how her wedding dress showed a lot of innocence, but still screamed y .

When the priest asked for objections, Jooyoung suddenly stood up without thinking. This was her only chance to get what was rightfully hers back. She couldn’t just let it slip.

“I object.”

But what happened next was too fast for her to process. Baekhyun’s mother, red in fury immediately got her sent out. Baekhyun watched helplessly and Jooyoung struggled in the guard’s arms.

Jooyoung watched from outside as the vows were exchanged and Minah kissed Baekhyun. Her heart shattered into more pieces than they already were.

Nobody liked her. Nobody looked at her. Nobody wanted to look at her. Until Baekhyun. Then he was swept away in front of her very eyes.

In these situations, the wedding should have stopped after she objected right? She should have gotten wed to Baekhyun right?  Wrong. Girl, that only happens in dramas. This isn’t a drama. It’s reality. Even your father is no good to you. He comes home drunk and abuses you. Face it. Nobody wants you.

~

She traced Baekhyun’s name in the sand. Last time she came to the beach, Baekhyun was with her. And they played around all day, doing what couples did. Not too far away she saw Minah dragging Baekhyun along the beach and splashing water around. Baekhyun stood there emotionlessly, but Jooyoung still felt the jealousy. At least she could be around him. It really was a coincidence and sort of ironic that they were there.

Jooyoung walked over to the edge of the water and felt the wet sand under her feet and the cold water clutching her ankles. She walked lower and lower until her head was underneath the water. Tears slipped from her eyes, but you wouldn’t notice because of the water. She allowed the water to seep up her nose, not allowing herself to resurface to breathe. She closed her eyes as her life slowly left her.