Oneshot

[Oneshot] Wedding Dress

 

Junhyung’s POV:

   “Hey, Junnie hyung!” You rest your chin on your hand and look at me with a rather entertaining attitude. You smile happily, that smile I always dream about. “Guess what? I’ve got some special news for you!”

   “What’s it, Seungie?” I stare at your beautiful dreamy eyes, my entire soul is wandering somewhere in its own little world. You take me away into an endless spiral, where other people can’t reach. That place is where true love belongs. That place is only for you and me…

   “Hyunah accepted my proposal!” You throw your hands around me and shriek happily. “She said yes!”

   “What?” I startle. The ring I am holding suddenly become cold. The warmth from my hand is leaving it, just like the way you are leaving me right now, right when I need you the most, right when I am going to dedicate my life to you.

   “Hyunah and I are going to get married.” You repeat, this time slower. Every word coming out of your rosy lips is like a sharp knife cutting my heart, making it bleed so badly. You are such a cruel person. But no, you didn’t do it on purpose. You don’t know that I love you. You always think that I will be happy if you are happy. You are too pure, too innocent to know that I’m not just the ‘hyung’ you think about. Simply talking, I’m too complicated for you to understand.

   “So…” You look at me and halt. “I know that you are the most talented pianist here, Junnie… Would you like to play in my wedding?”

   “Don’t over appreciate me.” I bend down and start to look at my shiny black sneakers. It is all for me to avoid your gaze. “You know I’m not that good. But of course I’ll play in your wedding. On one condition.”

   “Anything you want.”

   “I will help you prepare for your wedding, alright?” I can’t even believe what I have just said. I am supposed to avoid you all that time, going somewhere unknown. That should make me feel better. But I promised you. It is too late to regret.

   “It’s wonderful!” Your slender hand wraps tightly around mine. “I planned to do it alone, but if you are here… I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon at two, okay? We are going to that Yang Yoseob’s place.”

   “Anything you say.” I give you a bear hug. A tender scent of cologne and coffee on your wavy brown hair creeps into my lungs gently. Suddenly, just like the first day I met you, my face become red, my heart begins to pound like crazy and I feel like I can’t even stand on my own feet. I pull back gently from the hug and stammer:

   “Uhm… I have some work to do now… so… see you tomorrow, okay?”

   “Yeah, see you!” You beam happily. I walk away from the café and turn around one more time to stare at your fragile figure sitting there. I exhale deeply and begin to take long strides along the way while cursing myself. Why could I lose you to Hyunah, the little girl who is always losing me when it comes to getting your attention?

 

Author’s POV:

   The weak light from the white candle lights up a small part of a huge piano. He is sitting there in depression. He wants to write a song, just for his love. And he did. But he just can’t play it with his old passionate inspiration like before. The melodious sounds of the notes to him are nothing but sounds of hammers slamming against the wall. Everything is falling into silence, but his soul is screaming in agony. He is harassing himself, hoping that he can die at this very moment. He doesn’t want to be alive anymore, unless some kind of magic can bring him back into the past, into the days that he could still make the person of his dreams fall in love with him…

   He lifts his head up from the piano. A glimpse of the wind creeps through the open window and blows out the candle. The only light of the room left with the wind. Just like the way Hyunseung stepped away from his life. He tries to get the latter out of his mind. But how can he? Hyunseung, his little brother, is everything he ever has. He closes his eyes. Concentrating all of his feelings into his fingers, he begins to play. The music come out, tender and sweet. The harmonious melody is all over the place. The moonlight lights up his cold, emotionless face. And suddenly, he begins to sing:

Baby,

She won’t ever love you like I do

‘Cuz you should be my lady gentleman

Waited for so long to say to you

Please come back to me

It was so perfect in my dream

Don’t you know that I will always love you forever?

But baby, when those church bells ring

You know I wanted us to be together

Now she’s in her wedding dress

Now she’s in her wedding dress

How could she be the one?

Wedding dress

Should’ve been me

Should’ve been me, yeah

   The song seems to take away all of his energy. He scrawled the lyrics on the sheet of paper lying neatly on the piano, he stood up tiredly and trudged away. With his back on the comfortable couch, he writes an imaginable story in his head. He tells himself that when the song ends, Hyunseung will realize his feelings, and those words ‘I do’ will never be spoken. But a story is always a story. That won’t ever happen. Hyunseung doesn’t even know that he loves him. He chose Hyunah instead.            

 

Junhyung’s POV:

   “So… When do you want to get married?” Yoseob looks at you. His porcelain fingers are tracing along the paper.

   “December 19th.” You answer. The day you get married is going to be my birthday. I am supposed to be happy on that day. My birthday isn’t supposed to be the day my heart is shattered. My birthday isn’t the day for you to marry another person. If it was my birthday, you are supposed to marry me…

   “Alright…” Yoseob’s fingers glide along the keyboard. “December 19th… There is an available spot at four o’clock in the afternoon. Is that okay with you?”

   “Wonderful!” You beam happily. “Thank you very much!”

   “You can leave now.” Yoseob stands up and shakes your hand. “Call me if you need help. I will see you at our planned places. See you soon!”

   “Goodbye, Mr.Yang!” You wave and pull me away. We meet a guy at the door and he smiles at us cheerfully before heading to Yoseob.

   “Babe, I miss you!” He jumps on the huge desk and sits the while swinging his feet. Yoseob makes a desperate effort to push him down but fails. I gape at them as the guy says. “Let me kiss you!”

   “Joonie, I’m working!” Yoseob pouts and turns away. The Joonie guy cheerfully takes his hands and pecks him on the cheek. Yoseob shrieks happily and spins around, giggling at his lover.

   “Doojoon-ah!”

   I sigh and walk away. It is enough for me watching that lovey-dovey couple.

   “What took you so long, hyung?” You raise your eyebrow at me curiously. I smile and pat your head.

   “Nothing. Now where do you want to go?”

   “I need to get a dress for Hyunah!” Your smile lights up my heart, again. “She wants to wear her mother’s, but it got stained, so…”

   “I know exactly what she needs.” I open the door for you and fasten my seatbelt. “Call her. We are going to pick her up.”

   “Hi, oppa!” Hyunah greets me cheerfully as she sits down in the back seat. “Hubby, where are we going?”

   “It’s a surprise, wifey!” You turn around to look at her. I smirk. Hubby and wifey already. You two sure know how to break me apart.

  

Author’s POV:           

The black car stops in front of a classic house with an enormous garden in the front. He steps down from the car and rings the doorbell. The two lovebirds stand behind him, their faces light up with excitement.

   “Who’s that?” The owner opens the door, frowning in annoyance. “I told you I am NOT even familiar to her… Oh!” He changes his attitude in a blink of an eye. “Junnie, Seungie, darling! Long time no see! And Hyunah, too! You get prettier when you grow up, huh, cupcake?”

   “Kikwang?” Hyunseung looks at him.

   “Who else?” He ruffles the guy’s hair. “He is a famous designer! Er… Kwangie, my car…”

   “Let me take care of it, darling!” Kikwang says in an easy-going way. “Dongwoon, park Junnie’s car for me, now!”

   “I’m your lover, not your servant!” The latter growls, but stil take his car keys and drives away. Kikwang takes them to his room. It is simple, but grand in some way. The ceiling and the floor are covered with wood. The closet holds hundreds of wedding dresses. A drawing board made of wood is placed under a wide open window. A giant TV in the middle of the room and an elegant couch finish the touch of the room. Kikwang opens the closed at turns around:

   “So, Hyunah, which one do you want to try?”

   “She doesn’t need something that was made in advance.” He put his hands on the designer’s shoulder. “This is your cupcake Hyunah. She needs something original, but not too unique. Something that makes your Hyunah not someone else, but not the usual Hyunah. Understand?”

   “Got it.” Kikwang nods. He stands by the window for a long time and hurriedly takes the three outside, where the car is back in its rightful place.

   He drives Hyunseung and Hyunah home. The journey is quick and silent. He is drowned in misery. They are filled with happiness. Three people, two opposite sides of feelings. He understands Hyunseung, he understands the latter well. But would the latter ever understand him?

   He spends another sleepless night next to the old piano. All night long, he only thinks about what they have gone through. The picnics right on his car’s hood. The summer noons in that little café, where they often share one portion of sweet and creamy vanilla ice-cream of the nice owner…

   Things are supposed to be even sweeter than that, if he hadn’t hid his feelings all the time they were together. He will always have to ask himself ‘How did you lose his heart?’ Hyunseung’s love used to be in his reach, but now it’s far, far gone. He never thought that he can fall this hard. The abbyss that he is falling in is so deep that he haven’t reach the bottom of it yet until now.

   Why can he hold such a childish fear? He is afraid that when he tells his brother about all the feelings in his heart, there will be an invisible space expanding slowly between them until they become strangers again. The price he has to pay for his hesitation is them being torn apart; when Hyunseung moved on and he is still there waiting. He knows that Hyunah will never love Hyunseung like he does, and that Hyunseung should become his to make up for those times he waited…

   And everything now turns into a big mess, with their love lying somewhere unknown. Hyunseung blessed him with the best, how could he make his love cry?

   They have gone through a bitter game called ‘love’, and he is too tired to continue. He can’t continue anymore, when the winner of this game appears…

   A month going by seems to be like a century. Thirty days leaving thousands of scratches in his heart. Today is the last day, and he hopes that this pain can go away forever. Today is the day the person he loves gets married, to someone that is not him…

   The sun is shining. Snow seems to not come this winter. But he doesn’ care.

   He heads to the waiting room. Hyunah is standing there fixing her veil. Hyunseung is nowhere to be found.

   “Looking good.” He flashes a smile at Hyunah, and the future bride beams shyly.

   “Thanks, oppa.”

   “Where is your gloom-to-be?”

   “He is somewhere outside. Kikwang and the others are coming, too.”

   “I’m going out to prepare for the music. See you later.” He turns away with tears welling up in his eyes. He can’t cry, but he really wants to.

   “Wait, oppa!” Hyunah steps forward and held his hand. He turns back, raising his eyebrows questioningly. Hyunah blushes and pants, even though she didn’t do anything that makes her tired.

   “I know you like Hyunseung oppa.” She says simply. “But I don’t.”

   He gapes at her. “What?”

   “I don’t love Hyunseung oppa. I don’t want to marry him. I think this over a million, million times, and it seems like things aren’t right. You need to stand there with him near the preacher, not me.”

   “Hyunah…”

   “This is your chance, oppa. Run away. I will say no.”

   He doesn’t know whether to laugh happily or to scold Hyunah for her stupid thoughts. He just stands there, dumbfounded.

   All of the guests settle down. His hands begin to glide on the keys of the white piano. The traditional songs for weddings echo in the hall when the young lovebirds step into the church. Hyunah looks gorgeous in that well-fitted wedding dress – a gift from Kikwang’s dedicated hand. Hyunseung’s happy smile shines and covers everyone in the church. He is the only one who feels nothing. Well, he is extremely nervous to tell the truth. Hyunah and his eyes meet, and she nods at him with a playful smile. He stares at his hands in silence as the rituals begin. The preacher cleared his throat and asks.

   “Will you, Jang Hyunseung, agree to be Kim Hyunah’s lawful wife and take care of her for the rest of your life?”

   Hyunseung smiles brightly and looks at Hyunah. The bride beams nervously. He feels like his heart is going to explode any moment when he recognizes something wrong in Hyunseung’s eyes. The latter smiles again and shooks his head slowly.

   “I’m sorry, Hyunah. Sorry, everyone. But I don’t. I don’t want to marry her anymore.”

   “Oppa…” Hyunah halts, her eyes widen in surprise.

   “Sorry, Hyunah…” Hyunseung pulls her into a bear hug and smiles. “I don’t love you. It was just a lie. I wanted to use you as a cover, but now I realize I can’t. I need you to tell the truth.”

   He stands up from the piano, ready to leave. He can’t stand the sight of Hyunseung breaking up with Hyunah just to announce that he is in love with another girl. As his back turns again the preacher, someone calls him.

   “Wait, hyung!”

   He feels someone holding him back, that person’s arm wrapping around his waist.

   “Don’t leave.” Hyunseung whispers. “I have something to tell you. I love you.”

   He freezes in his spot.

   “I love you, hyung, I love you!” Hyunseung holds his hands and says. “I couldn’t confess, I’m scared that you will refuse me. I wanted to use Hyunah as a cover, but I can’t lie to people like that! Hyung… I-I love you! I want to marry you, not her!”

   Junhyung lets go of Hyunseung’s hands and kisses the latters hair as he begins to sob. “You should have told me at first place. You know, you really played a good game on me. I really wanted to kill myself, Jang Hyunseung, when you said you are going to marry Hyunah. Because I love you, too. Would you marry me?”

   Hyunseung’s eyes widen as Junhyung slides a rind into his fourth finger. Hyunah smiles as she slides the bouquet into Hyunseung’s hand.

   “My job is done. Now let’s get married, Seungie oppa.”

   “Thank you, Hyunah. I love you. Like a brother.” Hyunseung wipes his tears away and takes Junhyung’s hand, his face lights up with happiness. They step along the aisle again, and moments later…

   “I now pronounce you husband and wife!” The preacher says as the crowd blows up with cheers. Junhyung smiles again and kisses Hyunseung passionately.

   Out there, the sky is still blue like the first time they met.

   A happy ending?

   Who knows?

   All we need to know is that they are happy together now, that’s all!