On a random night before the showcase

Late Night Talks


Joonmyun, Baekhyun thinks, is working too hard.
Not working exactly, well yes working, the energy he puts into practice and taking care of the group as a whole is amazing,
But more than that, the amount of worrying he does over all the members.
All 11 of them.. perhaps too much.

Even going to the other dorm to make sure everyone goes where they should be.
Baekhyun goes with him once in a while, only because Joonmyun asks but usually he doesn't.
But on the days that he doesn’t, Baekhyun stays up with the light in the kitchen on until Joonmyun comes home at maybe 1 or 2 in the morning.

"You're still up?"
Baekhyun looks up from his laptop at Joonmyun with a confused look even though he knows well that Joonmyun knew that he'd still be awake.

How does he know?

Because Joonmyun has a big bag holding snacks and bottles of soju which he sets down on the table in front of him.

Baekhyun asks Joonmyun how the members are and Joonmyun says they are fine like he always does.
He adds how Baekhyun should come next time.
All the while, he is removing his coat and hat and says he’ll be back, disappearing into his room to change.
Baekhyun watches him disappear into the room and then says 'You should ask me next time’
But knowing that Joonmyun can’t hear him, he just shrugs and starts opening up the bags of snacks that he takes out from the bag.

By the time Joonmyun takes a seat at the kitchen table, Baekhyun had opened up all the bags and bottles which Joonmyun scolded him for, saying that they were going to waste food. Only Baekhyun knows for sure that all the alcohol would be drunk and that they should have something, even if it’s just snacks, in their systems or rather Joonmyun should since Baekhyun knows that Joonmyun forgets to eat on many occasions. Especially these past few days with all the stress and anxiety from the showcase coming up, he was even more of a mess than he was before.

Baekhyun looks at the older boy who just smiles at him.
The smile that could melt icebergs with how warm and welcoming it was.
The smile that he would see passing by in the corridors when he first entered the company.
The smile that made him feel at home the first time it was decided that he would debut in the group with the other members who had all formed bonds that he was excluded from.

That’s why he felt that he owed Joonmyun. He owed him for trying so hard for all the members and himself as well, making him feel like he belonged when there were so many others that would have been perfect for EXO rather than the new guy that had a pretty good voice.
That’s why he stayed up. That’s why he waited to listen to whatever Joonmyun says on those late nights.
Because during the day, he’s Suho, the cheerful and hard working EXO-K leader while at night, he’s just Joonmyun, the hyung that is relaxed and can be carefree, even for just a few moment, who smiles a special smile just for Baekhyun or so he’d like to think.  

Bringing his attention back to the situation at hand, they had been drinking silently.
Rather Joonmyun was drinking silently as that was his personality, quiet with a small smile on his face.
Baekhyun was the one that talked a lot, his cheerfulness bubbling over the more alcohol that was in him.
Baekhyun would talk about everything and anything, the members or something funny that happened during practice that Joonmyun might have missed when he was off doing leader things, or interesting facts that he learned while he was surfing the internet while he was waiting for the older boy. Just when Baekhyun thinks that he might be boring, Joonmyun gives Baekhyun a reaction or a response to show that he really was listening.
And a smile.
The famous Joonmyun smile that almost nobody could resist.

“Baekhyun ah.”

“Hmm?”

“Thanks.”

“For what, hyung?”

“For staying up.”

“……..I… don’t…”

“Oh? Well thanks for just being awake when I get home then.”

Baekhyun stays silent for a minute or two.
Joonmyun knows. He knew.
But Baekhyun’s not sure why his cheeks light up, feeling like he got caught.
So Baekhyun doesn’t respond and drinks more.
Not that that he stays quiet for long since he doesn’t like silence so he started talking again to which Joonmyun listens and occasionally laughs.

“Hyung…”

“Hmm?”

“Are you happy?”

Joonmyun lifts his head from his drink, obviously a little gone since there are now two empty bottles in front of him.
Baekhyun watches the older boy carefully to try to read him like he’s always been trying to.
Once Joonmyun catches a hint of that, he usually just hides behind his smile.
But for some reason today, the smile that he expected from the older boy didn’t come.
Instead, it’s a contemplating face, the older boys lips in a thin line, to which Baekhyun replies to with a curious look.
Then he stays silent.
Minutes pass, he’s sure, and still Joonmyun stays quiet.

“Joonmyun hyung?”

Baekhyun calls out, being unable to wait a second longer.
The call of his name seems to bring him back and he looks over at Baekhyun with the same look on his face.

“Are you happy?”

“…………… I guess so?”

“Are you happy?”

“Our showcase is coming up. I should be.”

“…Hyung. Are you?”

Joonmyun becomes quiet and gives a small nod.
Baekhyun is about to call him out on it, tell him that he wants to hear it.
He wants to hear the words come from his mouth.
But that beautifully cursed thing comes out again.

Joonmyun smiles.
Baekhyun freezes but turns his eyes away.
Though he can’t help but return the smile.

“Don’t worry, Baekhyun ah. Hyung is okay.”

Joonmyun’s hand reaches out to land on top of Baekhyun’s, giving the younger boys hand a few light pats.
When Baekhyun gives a small frown to show that he doens't believe Joonmyun's words, Joonmyun grabs the younger boys hand to give it a tight squeeze. Then he smiles again. That brilliant smile of his. This time Baekhyun can’t escape and he ends up just smiling like Joonmyun, though he knows it’s not as bright as the older boys smile.

One smile… and the whole world seemed to be fine.

That smile… and Baekhyun’s head clouds up with a hundred words that he will have to sort out again when he lays down to go to sleep.

Joonmyun's smile... and Baekhyun's heart settles before finally drifting off to sleep.