A Destructive Conflagration

Fire

“Hyung, drive faster!”

“I’m trying!” Heechul growled, concerned not only with getting them to their intended destination as fast as he could but also making sure that they got their safely.

Yunho couldn’t keep still. It was probably the understatement of the millennium.

                As he sat on the passenger seat, his feet were drumming tirelessly on the floor of Heechul’s car and his knuckles had turned white from gripping his phone too tight. He glanced worriedly at the time on the dashboard every few seconds and when he wasn’t doing that, he was busy pushing unwanted images out of his mind. Though Siwon kept reminding them to pray and Jaejoong kept a supportive hand on his shoulder, the efforts of the two in the backseat did nothing to ease his mind after he got the devastating phone call from Jessica.

Yunho oppa, something happened… Sooyoung’s village caught fire and I can’t contact her.

                It didn’t take long before they caught sight of the dark smoke polluting the air and judging by the blackness and the size of it, the fire was undoubtedly a big one; that thought nearly making Yunho yell at Heechul to step on it. Heechul had gotten them near the village in five minutes’ time, the four men stepping out of the car as soon as they saw Jessica, Tiffany and Yoona standing by Jessica’s car. Ignoring caution tape that blocked the entrance to Sooyoung’s street, Yunho led the way to Sooyoung;s house only to be blocked by an officer.

“I’m sorry, son.” A middle aged policeman shook his head. “You cannot go in there.”

“Sir, please. Sooyoung’s in there!” Yunho begged, pointing at the house blazing a few meters from him. “I need to save her!”

“We’ve got fire fighters in there, my boy. We’ll get her out there.” He told him reassuringly. “She’ll be fine.”

“I can’t let anything happen to her! Please!” Tears openly running down his face but he didn’t care. Opening his mouth to beg one more, he was interrupted by a chorus of shouts coming from the house.”

“She’s out! She’s out!”

                Yunho and everyone else could only watch with wide eyes as two fire fighters came out of the flaming home with a familiar tall and slender figure of a woman in their arms. Sooyoung kept her eyes squeezed shut as her nose took in the fresh air, causing her to cough repeatedly after inhaling too much smoke inside. Yunho swept past the officer, taking Sooyoung in his arms once he reached her. He could hear Heechul and Jessica yelling for the stretcher from the distance but he soon tuned them out; his only concern was the woman in his arms.

Sooyoung finally opened her eyes and upon seeing Yunho’s face, she allowed herself to cry. She was safe.