22

Haunted

It had been almost a week since Baekhyun and I had officially broken up. I wasn't terribly affected by it, but I could tell it was definitely hitting Baekhyun hard. I had only seen him a couple of times during the week; once when I was getting the mail and another time when he met up with Sehun to go down to the studio together. The first time I saw him, he really looked like a mess, but the second time he seemed a bit more put together. But that was probably for the reason that I saw him in such a horrible state a few days prior and he wanted to prove to me that he was actually okay; although, he clearly wasn't. 

Work was actually alright since I didn't have to work any of my shifts with Luhan, mostly for the reason that I had started going back to school again. My classes were in the morning, so I obviously couldn't work the mornings with him, which was quite a relief. I didn't want my little crush on him to develop even more. But my hopes of avoiding him shattered when Mrs. Lee told me that we'd be working on the weekends together. 

"Good morning," Luhan said, holding the door open for me. 

"Good morning," I replied, not making eye contact with him for obvious reasons. 

"I heard about what happened with Baekhyun. Are you alright?" 

"I'm fine," I said walking into the back room avoiding any more conversation with him. It was so frustrating how nice he could be. I wished that he would somehow turn into a jerk so that I wouldn't have to fall for him. "Good morning, Mrs. Lee," I said as I entered the kitchen. My eyes shifted around when there was no reply. "Mrs. Lee?" I called out again. I noticed a post it note stuck to one of the ovens. 

'There's been a family emergency, so I can't be at work today. Don't worry though, everything's baked and ready. I know Saturdays are busy and it's only you and Luhan working, but no one else can come in and I'll pay you guys extra for your hard work. Just don't get too distracted by Luhan's beauty!' My eyes widened at the last sentence. How did she know? And what if Luhan got a hold of this note before me? Before I was able to ask myself any other questions, I was startled by the sudden sound of a voice.

"What's that?" Luhan asked, peering over my shoulder. 

I immediately crumpled the paper up in my hands hoping he didn't see the last line. "Oh, um, Mrs. Lee had a family emergency," I stammered out. Smooth, I thought, mentally face palming myself. 

"Oh," he said as he scratched the top of his head and scrunched his face up. "So it's just you and me today?" My heart fluttered at his cute little scrunched up face and especially at his mention of it just being the two of us. "But it's Saturday..."

I quickly broke my gaze at him so I would be able to speak properly. "I think she trusts us too much. But, oh well, she's paying us extra. We'll just have to work a bit harder," I said quickly walking over to the pastries so I could place them in the display. I heard him sigh and mumble a few things in Chinese as he walked into the storage closet. I had to bite the inside of my lip to keep me from squealing at his cuteness. It was definitely going to be a long morning. 

Fortunately it was busy enough so that I didn't have to talk to Luhan at all except for a few 'excuse me's here and there. I felt relieved when I saw Eunji, Jihyun, and Yoseob walk in because it meant that our shifts were finally over. We quickly switched places with them and we were free to go. I briskly walked out the door and to my car, but my name being called stopped me in my tracks. I lightly sighed and turned around to see Luhan jogging over to me. 

"Yes?" I asked, trying to resist from dying of cuteness overload. His hair was going in all directions, probably from carelessly taking his apron off. And the wind wasn't really helping his hair much either. 

"I was wondering if-" I accidentally let out a giggle. His hair was going all over the place and it was driving me insane. I quickly slapped my hand over my mouth to try and prevent myself from falling into a fit of laughter. He narrowed his eyes at me. "What?" 

"It's nothing. Continue on," I said, trying to suppress my laughter, but failing as my eyes kept wandering up to his hair. 

He noticed my gaze at his hair and combed through his hair with his fingers as a blush crept on his face. "Is it okay now?" 

I shook my head and assisted him by placing strands of his hair back in the right direction. I tried not to notice my rapid beating heart, but his face was so close to mine and the look he was giving me almost made me faint, so I focused most of my attention to his hair. "There," I said, fixing the last strand of hair. 

"Uh, thanks..." he said looking down at his feet. "Anyways, I was wondering if you, if you maybe, if I could, if we could..." My heart was about to explode out of my chest at his bashfulness.

"Are you trying to ask me out on a date, Luhan?" I interrupted. 

"I- no, I was just-," he finally lifted his head to meet my eyes. "Well, yeah. I'm asking you on a date," he said, taking a deep breath. "You don't have to go if you don't want to. I know you just broke up with Baek-"

"Okay," I interrupted again. Although his rambling was so adorable that I almost didn't stop him. 

"Wait, really?" I nodded my head at him. "I mean, yes, cool. Okay, well, I'll pick you up at your house. Is 6 okay?" 

"6 is perfect."

"I'll see you later then," he said, giving me his usual eye smile and walking away. When he was out of sight, I stumbled into my car and immediately started squealing of joy. I quickly regained composure, when I noticed that my windows were cracked open and people walking on the sidewalk were staring at me. I hurriedly drove away from embarrassment, hoping that I didn't actually know any of those people. 

I felt kind of bad about going on a date with Luhan. It had only been a mere week since Baekhyun had broke it off with me. I wished that Baekhyun didn't live right across the street from me because it meant that there was a large chance of him seeing Luhan pick me up. 

As I pulled into my drive way, I almost hit our mailbox because I had to do a double take at what I saw across the street. Here I was feeling guilty about going on a little date with Luhan later and there was Baekhyun practically making out with a girl in his front yard. I gawked at them through my rearview mirror. I thought he was having a hard time dealing with things, but clearly he was doing more the okay. 

I waited for them to pull apart and leave before getting out of my car. I couldn't get a good look at the girl, but I felt a bit uneasy because she looked extremely familiar. I tried to shake off the strange feelings, but it was definitely shocking to see Baekhyun moving on that quickly. 

"Sehun!" I called out, as soon as I entered the house. "Sehun!" 

"I'm in my room!" he replied. I sighed as I walked up the stairs and into his room. 

"Does Baekhyun have a girlfriend?" 

"No," he said not looking away from his computer. "Why?"

"It's just... I saw him kissing some girl outside of his house."

"Kissing a girl? That's weird.  What? Are you jealous?" 

"No, I just thought you would know who the girl was. She looked famiiar." 

"Well, he hasn't told me anything. Maybe you should ask Chanyeol." 

I walked out of Sehun's room with a sigh. It wasn't really jealousy that was bugging me about Baekhyun's new relationship. It was just weird. It seemed like he really loved me and a week seemed like too short of a time to try and get over someone you loved. But I guess I should be happy. At least he's not moping around in depression...

 

 

lol you guys are killing me with your comments. Killing me in a good way, though. If that makes sense.