21

Haunted

Luckily the crowd died down fast and the cafe became rather quiet again. I kind of wished that the cafe would have remained busy because we still had an hour until our shifts were over. An hour was far too much time to try and avoid talking to Luhan. I didn't know why I was so scared to talk to him either. He was one of my close friends and I had never really felt this way about him. But then again, I was dating Baekhyun back then, so why would I have? I quickly came into the realization that even though I didn't have the emotional atatchment to him, I was still dating Baekhyun. 

As the last customer in the cafe walked out, I grabbed a towel and walked around the counter to wipe the tables down. It would hopefully prevent Luhan from talking to me. My hopes were crushed when Luhan also grabbed a towel and followed behind me. I inwardly groaned and dragged my feet to the farthest table in the back corner. Fortunately, Luhan was cleaning tables on the other side of the cafe, so I didn't have to go through another self questioning episode with myself. But much to my dismay, it only took about ten minutes getting the tables cleaned and the floor swept.

I trudged back behind the counter and sighed. I rested my elbows on the counter and stared at the clock on the wall, wishing that time would just move a little faster. 

"Something wrong?" Luhan said, mimicking my position on the counter. 

I almost jumped from how close his face was to my own. "I kind of have something to do..." I said, keeping my gaze low. I knew the minute I met his eyes again, that same strange feeling would return. 

"Well, considering the fact that no one is really coming in right now, I think you can just go. If Mrs. Lee asks, I can just tell her you had something important to do. I don't think she'll mind."

My head involuntarily snapped towards his direction. "Really?" I said as my eyes locked onto his. I immediately regretted ever looking into his eyes because the butterflies inside of me seemed to be fluttering like no tomorrow. 

He chuckled. "Yes, really. I'm sure it'll be fine. Just go," he said with his stupid crescent eyes glistening down at me. 

Without thinking, I wrapped my arms around his back and embraced him in a tight hug. I lingered there for a little bit listening to his own rapid beating heart, but I instantly pulled away, realizing my mistake. "Thank you so much," I said feeling my face heat up once again. "Uh, bye," I said awkwardly as I escaped out the front door. 

I quickly scurried into my car, as I let my head fall onto the steering wheel. I didn't know why I was making such a big deal out of everything. Luhan was just a friend. Just a friend, I repeated over and over in my mind. But if he was just a friend, why was his heart also beating so fast? Could it be that Luhan's old feelings for me still existed? Did he actually like me back? My eyes widened at the thought. Back? I didn't like Luhan. Therefore, there would be no liking back occuring. I groaned as the image of Luhan's stupid eye smile was replaying in my head. I shouldn't be developing any feelings towards him. All of my feelings should be directed towards Baekhyun. 

Baekhyun. I lifted my head off of the steering wheel and immediately started the car. I could finally tell him that I remembered. I could finally cheer him up. I rushed home, thinking of how I would tell him. He was going to be so happy. 

I arrived home and quickly changed out of my uniform and into casual clothes. I stepped out onto my balcony to mentally prepare myself for the huge lie I was about to tell, but it seemed I didn't have any time to do so. Baekhyun was also out on his balcony. It's now or never, I said to myself. I took a deep breath and yelled at the top of my lungs, "BAEKHYUN, I REMEMBER!" 

I saw Baekhyun's head snap towards my direction with a complete look of shock on his face. He just stared at me for a few seconds before mouthing 'Really?' at me. I lightly nodded my head. His eyes widened and he darted back into his bedroom. As Baekhyun was probably running out of his house, Sehun appeared behind me. 

"Liar," he whispered. 

Guilt immediately rushed over me. This was such a bad idea. "It's too late to turn back now, Sehun," I said as I glanced down at Baekhyun sprinting out of his house. 

"Why are you doing this to yourself? You shouldn't force yourself to love him," he said placing a hand on my shoulder. 

"I-I think you should go, Sehun. He'll be here soon," I said, not knowing how to reply to him. I really didn't know why I was forcing myself to love Baekhyun. It seemed like my only choice. 

He heaved a sigh and pulled his hand down. "Good luck, liar," he said as he walked out of my room. As soon as I heard Sehun's door close, I heard loud footsteps coming from the staircase. I took a deep breath as Baekhyun arrived in my room, panting. 

"Is it true?" he asked in between breaths. He took a few steps closer to me before cupping the sides of my face with his hands. I noticed that tears were starting to form in his eyes, causing more guilt to sweep over me. 

I took a deep breath and swallowed. "Yes... Bacon." I cringed on the inside from calling him that. It was so cheesy and embarrassing, but it was what I used to call him when we younger. 

He started laughing as a tear fell out of his eye. "You really do remember," he said as he pulling me into a tight hug. I mentally sighed in relief. He believed me. Everything was going to be okay because he believed me. He would finally be happy again and well, I was sure that I too would someday be happy with it. He pulled away and looked at me with concern. "Are you okay? It didn't hurt remembering did it?" I shook my head and wiped the tears falling from his eyes with my thumb. 

"Are you going to be okay?" 

He let out a chuckle. "I'm going to be more than okay."

He gazed at me with the biggest smile on his face. He was so happy. I did it. I finally brought him his happiness. But I couldn't help but feel so bad at the same time. His happiness was built off of a lie. A lie that I would have to keep up for the rest of my life. My thoughts were interrupted when I felt Baekhyun's lips pressing against my own. My eyes widened, but I immediately shut them and kissed back, knowing that anything I did could set him off into the realization that I didn't actually remember. 

I thought we were just going to share a simple sweet kiss, but it was apparent that Baekhyun obviously wanted more. I mentally sighed again. Of course this was going to happen. He was a guy after all and guys have needs. I reluctantly pushed him down onto my bed. He pulled away from me and looked at me with a strange look. I immediately felt super awkward and got off of him. Maybe this wasn't what he wanted...

He dug behind his back and pulled the stuffed dog from under him. He sat up and skeptically looked at the stuffed toy. "Why is this on your bed?" 

"...because you won it for me on our first date..." I said carefully, not looking him in the eyes. 

"Yes, I know that, but you took it off because it reminded you too much of King..." 

"What?" I accidentally said. But I really didn't know what he was talking about at all.

"Your dog? King? Remember, he died a couple of years ago and you decided to put this away because it reminded you too much of him?" 

My eyes rounded. The sudden memory of my deceased dog played in my mind. I remembered losing my dog, but never anything about the stuffed animal. It wasn't in my diary either. I suddenly felt extremely uneasy. I didn't think that I would face any discrepancies this early... 

I slowly looked up and Baekhyun was looking at me questioningly. My worst fear came true when he spoke. "You don't actually remember me at all, do you?" he quietly asked. I wanted to tell him so badly to tell him that I did remember, but it seemed as though my mind didn't allow me to speak because it knew I was just getting myself into a bigger mess down the line if I did.

He stood up from my bed and turned to walk away. I quickly stood up and grabbed his wrist. "I'm sorry," I whispered. My throat felt like it was on fire. Almost as if it was a punishment for lying to him in the first place. 

He turned around and removed my grip on his wrist. "No, I'm sorry. You don't have to do this to yourself. You don't have to love me because I love you." 

"But I loved you before-"

"Yes. Before. You loved me before."

"I just wanted you to be happy..."

The tears returned in his eyes as he let out a sob. "What about you? Don't you want to be happy? I'm flattered that you would do this for me, but you really shouldn't have. As much as I love you right now, it's probably best to let you go," he said placing a small kiss on my forehead and walking out of my room. 

 

 

._. sorry...

On a side note, I almost died of laughter when I wrote 'turn back' because she was talking to Sehun. And I don't know why I'm letting myself publish this chapter when it still has that Bacon line in it... LOL.