Our Anniversary

It's Our Anniversary. Again.

Onew and I, Kim Haeri, have been dating for 5 years now. Today, April 4th, is our 5 year anniversary. Every year, on our anniversary, Onew would buy me a present and prepare a romantic dinner. And every year, the present was the same.

Onew is a wonderful, loving, caring boyfriend who is just so sweet and adorable. I met him in high school, during a typical lunch hour.

 

Flashback begins.

I was standing in line to buy some lunch. A figure in the distance ran towards the line, hurrying to get their food. As the person got closer, he tripped on air and fell. Right. On. Top. Of. Me. 

Our lips crashed. I was shocked, too shocked to even push him off. He realized how awkward it was and sat up slowly, still dazed by the fact he kissed a girl.

"Kwenchana?" he asked, holding out his hand to help me up. I grabbed it and he pulled me up. I dusted off my skirt, then turned to look at him.

To be honest, he was cute, even with his nerdy glasses. I could feel that he gave off an awkward, but innocent and pure aura that reflected his personality and appearance.

"Mianhae. I'm really sorry. I'm always clumsy like this," he apologized continuously. 

"Stop it, it's fine. It was just an accident. Now, what's your name?" I asked.

"Lee Jinki. But my friends call me Onew. And that's where 'Onew Condition' came from... My clumsiness. And you are?"

"Kim Haeri."

"That's a pretty name. Haeri-ssi, let's be friends." Onew flashed an adorable smile at me, and I couldn't help but smile back.

Flashback ends. 

 

Ever since that day, we've been friends. Until this day 5 years ago...

 

Flashback begins.

I was walking home one day from school when my phone beeped. I checked my phone.

"1 new message from Onew huh?" I mumbled to myself while opening the text.

~Haeri-ah, meet me at the park at 7PM. Make sure you look nice (even though you always are). Love, Onew~

I smiled, knowing that he was planning something. I went home and looked throught my closet and found a plain, baby blue dress and put it on. I wore matching flats and added a bow to my hair. At 7, I walked over to the park and looked around for Onew. *Where is Onew oppa? Late again?* I wondered. I couldn't find him, so I sat down on a bench and waited. A few minutes later, a pair of hands covered my eyes. I was a bit surprised, but I knew it was Onew.

"Oppa, I know it's you." 

"Dang it." he started pouting and took his hands off my eyes.

I turned around to look at him, and found him in a tuxedo. I had no idea what was going on. Onew has been my best friend for ages, and he always does nice things for me, but what the heck is he doing now?

He grabbed my hands and led me over to a small table in the middle of a grassy area of the park. The table had a cream colored table cloth draped over it. On top was a bouquet of red roses and a big fluffy teddy bear. He pulled out the chair for me to sit down, then he went over and picked up the bouquet of roses and held it front of him. Stepping up in front of me, then kneeling, he said, "Uhm... Haeri-ah, we've been best friends for quite a while now, and I... uhm realized that ihavefeelingsforyouandsoimheretoconfesstoyousowillyoubemygirlfriend?" He said the last part so fast that I could barely understand it. But being his best friend and all, I was quite used to it and was able to figure out what he said.

He was staring at the ground and shuffling his feet. I could tell he was nervous, since he was blushing madly. *Typical Onew.*

I replied to his question with a hug. "Yes." I replied with my face buried in his chest. Onew was surprised by my sudden gesture, but he was okay with that.

Flashback ends.

 

Every year, ever since we started dating, Onew would always have our anniversary celebrations at the same park, same time. It was really sweet, but he would also get the same exact gifts every year. A cake, a teddy bear, and a bouquet of roses. Because of that, I now have 5 bears. As much as I love him, it's sort of annoying that he does the SAME THING EVERY YEAR. I don't expect fancy gifts or anything, but the same thing every year? What is he trying to do? Hmmmmm, maybe this year will be different... NO WAY. I highly doubt it.

He told me to meet him at the park again, at 7. Today, I decided to wear my flower print dress with a cardigan and light brown flats. Thank goodness he didn't make me wear the same clothes every year. 

Again, like every year, I sat down at the park bench, waiting patiently. A spring breeze flew by, whipping my hair gently to the side. As I pulled my bangs and hair out of my face, I felt someone's presence behind me. 

"Oppa, is that you?"

"You knew. Like you always do." Onew walked around the bench and sat down beside me. He took my hand and held onto it tightly. His hand gave me warmth, but also love. I could always feel his love for me, how much he cared for me, through every time he touched my skin.

"Honey, did I make you wait long?" he asked. I shook my head and then leaned onto his shoulder. 

"Jinki oppa, what do you have in store for our 5-year anniversary?"

"Shhhhh. It's a surprise." he led me to the same area where he asked me to become his girlfriend.

It wasn't much of a surprise. Once again, it was a teddy bear, a bouquet of roses, a cake, plus a romantic dinner.

"Again?" I sighed.

Onew turned to me. "You don't like it?" I could see sadness in his eyes.

"Ani, it's just, you do the same thing every year. You never change it. Don't you ever get tired of it?"

Onew shook his head. "Not at all. I have my reasons." I cocked my head to the side, quite confused by his answer.

We had our wonderful dinner that Onew somehow managed to make without hurting himself (I give him 2 thumbs up for that), and then afterwards we had cake. As I was eating my piece of cake, I bit something hard. I spit it out and examined it. Onew noticed that something was wrong and curiously looked over. It was a diamond ring.

"Oppa.. Why is there a ring in the cake?" 

Onew took the ring out of my hand and used a napkin and some water to wipe it clean. He got on his knee in front of me.

"O-o-oppa... What are you doing?" I stuttered.

Onew took a deep breath before speaking.

 

"Kim Haeri, will you marry me?"

 

I gasped. Never would I have thought that this would be happening. Especially on a day like today. I looked deep into Onew's eyes. I could see his true feelings for me inside. I knew he loved me. And I loved him. 

I made my decision. "Yes!"

Onew slipped the ring onto my finger and pulled me into a long, tender kiss. 

"I love you oppa~"

"I love you too Haeri-ah~"

"Onew oppa, I liked how you put the ring into the cake, it's really cute, like you are. But, what happened if I swallowed it or choked on it?!?"

Onew just bit his lip. He never thought about that. Having no answer to that question, he pulled me in for another sweet, romantic kiss.