Stranger

One More Time

「m o m o k a」

 

I see him on my way out of the Literature club room. Sitting against a wall, head in hands. I can't remember the last time I saw him, let alone the last time I saw him like this. The Andou Takumi I know - or knew - is all about image, but I guess you don't have to worry about being seen when you're sitting in the darkest corner in the hallway. I mean, where do you even find corners in hallways?

I inch closer, suddenly nervous. The dusty box in my arms grows heavier as I loiter, and I figure I might as well give myself a little rest.

'Ano... daijobu desu ka?'

'Ah.' He lifts his head, one hand raised to hide his face. He is embarassed that I caught him here, sulking in a gloomy corridor.

Takumi tries for a cocky smile - it fails, but he doesn't know that. 'Sorry, have we met? Ah, are you one of my fans?' The sad, holey excuse for a crooked smile on his face nearly breaks my heart.

'No,' I say bluntly.

'Too bad,' he says. His smile is more genuine now, but even sadder than before.

'Y'know,' I say, plopping down on the floor next to him. 'It's easier to talk about stuff to strangers. They can't judge you if they don't know you, and if they do it doesn't matter.'

Nothing. I wriggle a bit, straightening my skirt, and lean my head back against the wall. I'm content to wait for the time being. Takumi is kind of stubborn usually, but even more so when you push. In fact, he can be really pig-headed. You just have to wait him out.

A minute slowly ticks by. Two, three, nearly four. I re-order the things inside the dusty box, even though I get the feeling students in general aren't supposed to poke around in the stuff.

Sensei must be wondering where I am by now. But I still have one more chance.

'I think I should be go-'

'Do you know,' he says suddenly, 'what it's like to watch the person you love being snatched away?'

I sit back down, hiding my smile. Really, I shouldn't be happy when he's in pain. Doubly so when I know exactly what he's talking about. 'Yes. Yes, I do.'

Takumi sighs, raises his head again and sits his chin on top of his knees. 'Baka...' I think I hear him say.

'You or me?' I ask. ''Cause if you mean you.. then yeah, you are.'

He turns his head to me. 'Hah? I thought you were one of my fans.'

'I told you, I'm not,' I insist.

'Do you like Ren?' he asks suddenly.

'Ichinose-senpai? No.'

Takumi gives a snort of laughter. 'Then do you hate him? Are you one of his rejects?'

'This world isn't divided into who loves and hates Ichinose-senpai,' I counter. 'He seems like a nice guy, I just don't know him really well.'

'Ichinose-senpai,' Takumi echoes. 'You both call him that.'

This time it's me who doesn't answer.

After a long pause, I get up and brush myself off. Takumi has his face covered again, and he says something but I don't catch it. His voice is muffled. Then he stands up too.

'I should get going,' he says.

I laugh. 'That's my line.'

Takumi shrugs, musses up his hair. 'What's your name?' he asks.

'You can call me Kuroki,' I offer.

'Kuroki..?' He waits for the rest, but when nothing else is forthcoming, he complains, 'Why so cold?' only it's not very effective because he's already halfway down the hall. 'You'll give me your first name next time I see you, Kuroki-san.' Then he turns and grins and winks all at the same time, and it's one of his really arrogant smiles too. A real one.

I can still feel it thrumming in my chest when he disappears around the corner.

~

 

Came up with this while I was washing the dishes, haha. Feedback is greatly appreciated :3

Glossary:

ano ~ umm
daijobu desu ka? ~ are you okay? (polite)
sensei ~ teacher
 baka ~ stupid / idiot
-senpai ~ senior
-san ~ ms / mr etc