expressions

the early strawberry catches the girl

As I walked across the room to sit down next to him as I always did - or as he always did because normally, I arrived earlier than him - I took a look at my watch. The lesson wouldn't start until 5 pm and right now there were not more than a few minutes left. It was a new low for me, but a new high for him. "No, seriously", I began anew, "this is your new highscore. You're supposed to arrive like ten minutes late with some lame excuse." I slightly cocked my head and scanned his face as if I was suspecting him to have a fever or something similar. He shrugged but it seemed to me that he took my suspicion as some sort of compliment - and actually, it was. Because every minute that we got to spend apart from the lesson itself felt like a second, so being able to spend more than just one was a blessing to me.

"I guess I just couldn't wait", he said and sat up so his hands were now just laying on the wooden lid, ready to open it and play. I took a deep breath and put the small bag I always brought on the floor next to the bench. "Who can, right?", I asked a bit ironically when in fact, I really couldn't. But not because of the piano lesson itself, at least not entirely. He laughed his boyish, light laugh and ran his hand over his neck that was covered by his blond, fluffy hair. (A/N: I'm thinking http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad94/LaScarlet/taehair.png ) "You got me", he admits, "my mom dropped me off early because she was on her way to work." I shook my head in slight disbelief but joined his laughter. "Don't make it sound unmeant. It's a good thing. This is the most unexpected thing you've ever done to Ahn-sungsaenim."

Taemin nodded in agreement, then stretched out his arm and pulled some piano sheets from the folder he used for collecting everything our teacher hands us during the lessons. But since she always signed her sheets and his weren't signed, I assumed he must have brought them from home. I blinked at the titles of the songs - they really matched what we had been practising last time. "Ladies and gentlemen", I announced, "the shocking series of events continues." We both loved playing the piano, but normally, we didn't give the lessons a lot of thoughts. The teacher wanted us to play whatever she brought, and because we needed something to practice at home anyway, we were okay with that. So bringing our own sheets was a new thing.

  "Lee Taemin actually even gave it some more thoughts", he continued and I couldn't help but laugh at how he picked up my announcing voice, "what will happen next?!" It didn't really sound thrilling the way he said it, but he still had me interested in the sheets. Noticing that from the look on my face, he handed me the papers and I looked them through. It was Beethoven's "Mondscheinsonate", the famous Moonlight Sonata, my favorite piece - written down to be played by two people. My heart skipped a beat at that detail but I gave my best not to let it show. Taemin waited until he was sure I had quickly skimmed over the sheets, then he pointed at the title. "Remember how she was announcing that we were going to do Beethoven but it wasn't Moonlight Sonata?" I sighed and looked at him over the edge of the papers. "Sure", I said, "biggest disappointment of my life." He smiled at me as if this was the answer he had already read in my face last time we had a lesson and I shivered. He actually paid attention to my expressions?

 "So", he said, "I decided that we could at least offer this to her. Maybe she'll let us play it." I swear I could see his eyes suddenly lighten up when I sat up and started to smile. "This is propably the best idea you ever had!", I exclaimed breathlessly. He looked somewhat relieved but happy at the same time and I can imagine that I must have looked pretty stunned. Not only had he memorized my favorite piece that one time I mentioned it before the previous lesson, but he also wanted to treat me to these sheets.  I felt the sudden urge to hug him but surpressed it last second so it looked like I was just bouncing up and down on my seat in excitement. Just like me. Aish.