my job is to straighten you up

Your Guardian Angel

Kibum cannot believe what he just heard. 

The girl he really loves and the one he gave everything to just tell him that it was a mistake being in a relationship with him. “If it’s about me in a gang then I’ll quit! Just don’t say you’ll leave me.” Kibum began to plead.

But the girl just looked at him with sorry but cold eyes, he knew that she has fall out of love of him but he just couldn’t bring himself to accept it. She removed the bracelet he gave her during their third anniversary and quietly walked out of the room and out of his life.

 

Few hours after that, Kibum drowned his self with alcohol, in had been a rare occasion but Kibum had gotten himself successfully drunk. He staggered through an alley and came across a group of thugs bullying a man.

“You! What are you doing in my turf?” he asked authoritatively though it was obvious he was drunk.

The five men stopped hitting the poor guy and stared at him, they were grinning to themselves as they thought of evil acts towards Kibum. Kibum was well-known in that area and to take advantage of the drunken Kibum would mean instant popularity and fear from anyone. They started ganging on Kibum but they weren’t expecting that he was as good or even better when he was sober and got them beaten up in the end. The guy went to Kibum side and thanked him, but Kibum ignored every word he said. “Here you can have that stupid ring!” Kibum said as he threw the small box at the man and left.

 

Early in the morning and Kibum was already in the principal’s office, his ‘best friend’, since he had been going in and out there since the day he entered high school.

“Could you pipe it down, I’m having a major head ache here.” Kibum said and rudely interrupted his principal’s lecture.

Kibum was punished to clean the gym for a month, and Kibum just shrugged. Every worker in the school has become Kibum’s boss at least for a week or month, he has become an all-rounder. The janitors or security guards or lunch lady wouldn’t mind having him around cause he scares the students making them disciplined.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Kibum had just finished mopping one fourth of the gym now he’s lying down in one of the bleachers.

“Hey, aren't you supposed to be mopping now?” Someone asked suddenly.

Kibum opened his eyes and looked at the person irately.

“I’m already done. Now get your stinking shoes off of my floor?!” he yelled.

The person kept standing in front of him.

“But there’s still a huge area left.” The person said as he turned to look at his right then left then back at Kibum.

Doesn’t this guy know who I am? Kibum thought annoyingly. He observed the guy from head to foot, and then he realized the accent was different.

“Psh! Foreigner?” the guy nodded with a smile.

“No wonder you’ve got the nerve to talk to me.” Kibum muttered as he began to stand up.

“Why? Are you supposed to be a bad person? You don’t look scary.”

Kibum laughed and looked at the guy. “That’s a good one, but seriously the next time you in with my space, you won’t leave this school without a black eye foreigner.” And with that Kibum left and the gym was still half done.

 

“Smoking is prohibited in school grounds. Besides the fact that it could kill you.” called out someone from behind the bushes. Kibum had a feeling that he knew who the know-it-all was. Kibum was somewhere behind the school, cutting classes.

“You again?” Kibum said as he rolled his eyes.

The guy moved towards him and removed the cigarette from his mouth.

“What the f~” Kibum began to curse until he was interrupted by a kiss. The annoying guy just kissed him --- on the lips!

“Haven’t your parents told you not to speak bad words?” the guy said in that strange accent. Kibum punched him as a reflex and left the guy on the ground who watched him walk away with a sweet smile on his face.

 

Kibum has crossed paths with the same person for quite awhile and it has both annoyed and intrigued him. Each time he breaks a rule or acts delinquently the same said person always pops out telling him that whatever he’s doing is wrong, keep reminding him of his mistakes. And the quick kisses he uses to silence him whenever he starts cursing has become quite delicious and made him want more, not just the quick ones but a longer, deeper kiss.

 

It had been five months since his break up with his girl friend who was actually his first love and every month he stays late at some pub until he gets satisfied. Its pass midnight and Kibum was still outside and still drinking.

“I think you have enough alcohol for one lifetime.” Came that annoying voice, Kibum looked up and raised his can of beer as if to give a toast. The man wasn’t smiling at him anymore rather he looked more of like an angry father and grabbed the can from his hand.

“Give that back, if you want go buy one yourself?!” Kibum demanded.

The guy threw away the can. Infuriated, Kibum punched him. His punch was still as strong as when he was in a normal state. “Who the hell are you to in my life? If you’re life isn’t that fun that you decide to mess with mine then do it just not on this day! Sicko!” Kibum yelled. The man simply stared at him.

“Don’t act like you care about me!” he said as tears began to trickle down his face, as if the words he just said brought back some forgotten pain in the past. The man stood up placed a hand over Kibum’s tear-stained cheek. He leaned forward and kissed his other cheek.

 

“I care about you, I’m not acting. Now sleep, you’re dead tired.” He whispered and as if put in a trance, Kibum dozed off and fell in the man’s arms.

 

Kibum woke up the next day and found himself lying on a soft unfamiliar bed. He scanned the entirety of the room; he was definitely not in his own bedroom. He climbed out of bed and felt the silky smooth touch of his… pajamas!

“What the…?!” Kibum muttered. Where was his clothes and who dressed him?!

“Don’t you ever get tired of saying bad words?” said the person who just got in with two cups of hot cocoa.

“And don’t you ever get tired on telling me those saintly stuff?” Kibum countered, letting his hands rest on his hips.

“Where’s my clothes, and what did you do to me? Did you take advantage of me?!” Kibum began asking the questions haunting him. The guy laughed and handed him one of the cups.

“You vomited on your clothes, I had them cleaned. Me? Take advantage of you?! Now that would be a sin, I just changed your clothes and tucked you in bed.” The man replied but seeing how skeptical Kibum looks he smiled at him.

“I have never lied my entire life. Besides, if I did do something last night you would be having a sore body now.” Kibum could feel himself blushing and smacked himself out of it.

 

He drank the contents of the cup in one gulp, never mind how it scalded his tongue, he was getting himself out of here, away from him. He spotted his freshly pressed clothes on the table, grabbed it and started undressing himself. He noticed that the man had his back on him.

“Why are you turning around?” Kibum asked as he slipped his foot inside his pants.

“It’s not polite.” The man simply replied.

“Whatever.” Kibum muttered, now slipping his feet in his shoes. He was about to open the door and see himself out when he heard that irritating voice again.

“Aren’t you going to say goodbye? Haven’t you learned anything from your parents?” Kibum stopped and turned to face him. “Why do you always act so… saintly? And stop bringing my parents up… who are you anyway?” this guy has been bothering him since the first time they met and Kibum never knew his name. The man tilted his head and smiled.

“Sorry, it was ill-mannered of me not to introduce myself.”

Kibum rolled his eyes, if he hears another ‘good’ word again he’s gonna go nuts. “I’m Hankyung, your guardian angel.” The man said. Of all the pick-up lines or lame jokes or lies Kibum has heard this must be the most outrageous one ever.

“Angel? Whatever, I’m leaving.” Kibum snorted and before he closed the door behind muttered beneath his breath ‘Bye’.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

“Hannie, I knew that we’re supposed to care for our wards but the way you’re caring is somewhat in a different level.” Siwon said in concern. They were somewhere above the clouds or even above the stars, somewhere that doesn’t reek of evil and chaos. Siwon has just finished his duty as well, by the looks of things; he has a hard time dealing with his ward too. Hankyung stared at his Scared Mirror for a while, watching over his ward – the person he was assigned to guard, and then turned to face Siwon.

“Don’t worry Siwon, I’m doing fine. Just take care of your own problems, by the looks of things it seems I’ll become a cherubim before you do.” Hankyung said with a laugh.

 

True, Kibum was a difficult ward but Hankyung has slowly turned him for the better. But Siwon was right; he was caring too much for his ward… he wasn’t back in heaven for his day-off Archangel Teuk has made it his day-off.

“Sorry, Hankyung but you just have to watch your ward here in heaven for awhile.”

 

~THE END?~

 

sequel: LOVE OR DUTY?