Chapter O3

When you thought I speak Mandarin

 

No corner of Incheon Airport was spared. My feet have never moved so quickly, with paces so far apart, in my entire life. I nibbled on my thumb’s finger, scanning left and right for the man in the passport named Wu Fan. I’ve lost dignity a while back by peaking inside the men’s bathroom receiving cautious glares from women and men alike.

“Maybe I should page him?” I talked to myself just to remain calm. If only I had looked at the passport that I was getting, if only I wasn’t so damn excited over a sandwich I wouldn’t be desperately holding back tears of irritation right now.

His passport was tucked safely in my pocket, with his Chinese name and Chinese face in it. I groaned, pushing the sling of my backpack further up my shoulders.

I’ve been walking around for so long that I just collapsed to the floor, leaning on the wall. This is not how I imagined my first day of vacation.

“Ah seriously!” Thrashing on the floor like a child would do me no good. But I had to let my frustration out at some way or another.

I took his passport out from my jeans’ pocket. Wu Fan’s serious face stared at me from the thick page. For others, the passport picture is the worst picture ever. But a non smiling face suited him very well. Wait...what am I thinking? Instead of admiring his good facial features, I should be getting my passport back.

“Ma’am stand up please,” Two leather shoes appeared in front of me. My eyes trailed up to the guard’s scowling face. He looked like he had as bad a day as I had. I rolled my eyes and stood up.

I fell limply on a cushioned seat. It felt more comfortable than the ground that’s for sure. With all the hassle, I began thinking that I should just cancel this trip. The tickets weren’t from my savings and I’m not that ecstatic about going to China anyway. Not being able to use those tickets would be a great waste though.

My eyelids slowly fell. So this is the end of my trip to China then. Good luck to him when he finds out he has the wrong passport, that’s his problem now not mine.

Sun Mi would freak out when I go home later. I just need to take a rest first before I leave his passport in the lost and found office then leave. How I would get my passport is still a mystery I’m not eager to solve right now.

Suddenly a hard object nudged my shoulder. My eyelids opened to a small slit so I could see the rude person who just hit me with his bag; though my eyes opened wider when I saw the same face in the passport, leaning over his bag then leaving it immediately after.

This is my chance. He left his black bag on the chair beside me. I followed him with my eyes as he disappeared into the men’s bathroom. People would mistake me as a burglar with my next choice of actions.

I opened up his black backpack. Cautiously I looked up every now and then to the men’s bathroom door. His bag was filled with his clothes and a notebook computer. But where’s my passport? I looked around the area but found no other bag besides this one. He wasn’t carrying another bag to the bathroom either.

Someone coughed beside me. I was too busy rummaging through his bag that I took no notice of it until it coughed again. I quickly retreated my arms to my sides when I looked up and saw Wu Fan sending deathly glares at me.

He closed the zipper of his bag without taking his eyes off me. I felt the color of my cheeks rushing down to my feet. How could someone’s gaze be so frightening?

But what am I doing? Why am I just watching him? It's now or never. Before he could turn around and leave, I jolted to my feet and blocked his way.

What to say next was not pre-planned though. He’s Chinese. I don’t speak Chinese.

“Uhh….my…pass…port,” I made square figures in the air. His brows furrowed to the center.

I should’ve listened to my Mandarin class when I was in middle school. Now’s not the time to feel regret though. “Pass….port. Do … you…passport..uh…have mine?” I spoke with my poor Mandarin.

He took my passport out of his pockets. Looking inside probably for the first time, he noticed that it wasn’t his passport that he had. He placed the passport on my open palm. It felt good to finally have my passport back. I wanted to hug it and kiss it, my lovely passport.

 

“Can I have my passport?” He suddenly blurted in fluent Korean. My eyes just stared at him in disbelief. I was struggling to speak Mandarin, probably making a complete fool of myself, not knowing that this tall Chinese giant could understand me completely.

“You can speak Korean?” I asked.

“I teach Mandarin in Korea. Technically yes. Where’s my passport?” He opened his hands in front of me.

“I made a complete fool of myself trying to speak your language. Maybe you could’ve told me beforehand that you understood me,” I slammed his passport on his hand. “Have your stupid passport,” I had this attitude to speak boldly even to new people. Some found it a nice trait but for others, it’s completely rude.

But he’s equally as rude as me. “Xie xie,” His lip curved up teasingly before he left me jaw dropped.

Chinese jerk. I never want to see your face ever again.

 

 

 

Wahhh....EXO MAKES HISTORY. They've debuted guys. THEY.HAVE.DEBUTED. 

Thankyou for your comments. I really feel inspired when I know people read my work. :")

If you have suggestions feel free to tell me. ~~ ^^

 

- Kleo ♥