The Bad Me Who is Hurt

[oneshot] The Bad Me Who is Hurt

 

“Kyuhyun, I think I know where she is.”

Kyuhyun’s heart raced as his bestfriend and assistant Donghae rushed in front of his fully-loaded table and said those words. Those words that he’d been wanting to hear for the past five years. Those words that’ll finally lead him to where she is. Kyuhyun abruptly stood up from the very chair that separated him from her and shook Donghae’s body, his eyes full of excitement. His eyes showing how eager he is to see the said girl. “Where is she?”

“Kyuhyun I think you shouldn’t—“

“Where? Just tell me. Where?”

Donghae sighed in defeat. He knew that whenever his friend is as enthusiastic as this there is no possibility of him winning. Even if he didn’t want to say the answer, he had no choice but to give what Kyuhyun had wanted to hear. “Kangwondo. Hoengseong. She’s a pre-school teacher. You can actually find the school because it is the one and only in the county but Kyuhyun you—“

Kyuhyun suddenly hugged the person talking making him stop talking. After hugging Donghae veeeeery tight, Kyuhyun beamed making Donghae smile. It’s been so long since he saw Kyuhyun smiling like that. Since the tragic parting Kyuhyun never showed that side of him.  Then Kyuhyun immediately grabbed his coat on the table and ran to the door before turning to see his friend. “Donghae, thank you very much! I owe you my life!”

“But Kyuhyun you have tons of works to finish. You have a lot of time to visit her.”

Kyuhyun shook his head. “It has to be today Hae. You know how long I’ve wanted to see her. I miss her so much. Those works can wait. Oh and by the way, please tell Appa that I have an important meeting to attend to, please. I promise this will be the last time I’ll ask for a favor. Thank you!”

And with that Kyuhyun’s gone.

 

---

 

Several scenarios appeared in Kyuhyun’s mind as he was approaching the said province where he’ll see Ryeowook again. It’s been five years. Do you still love me? Will you still accept me? Kyuhyun’s mind was full of her, the possibilities, the regrets. After Ryeowook left Kyuhyun in her house five years ago, he never saw her again nor did he hear some news about her. He didn’t file any cases against Ryeowook, he will never do that. It’s his fault after all. Ryeowook wouldn’t act like that if he explained everything. He’d been selfish, both with Ryeowook and himself. He married the girl with his eyes closed. He never loved her, he didn’t give any kind of affection towards her, he didn’t present himself to her, he acted cold towards her. That resulted with her cheating and granting Kyuhyun’s request of divorce. It’s her fault from the start so she must pay for it. Within the five years he and Ryeowook were apart, he managed to save the company. The girl’s family didn’t cut the ties between their companies because it’s the least they could offer. Everything favored Kyuhyun and there’s only one missing right now. Ryeowook. He must fix everything between him and the love of his life.

After driving for an eternity, Kyuhyun finally reached Kangwondo. It is now almost dawn when he arrived in the province. His feet and felt numb from seating inside his car for God knows how long. Resting for a bit will not hurt. I need to compose myself too. Once he convinced himself, he went out of the car and inhaled the fresh scent of Kangwondo’s unpolluted air. He smiled thinking that Ryeowook lives in that kind of place. Admiration is very evident in his eyes. His smile grew wider as he roamed around the area. There is a mountain after the large field which he imagined that is colored yellow-green.   It’s autumn so he could hear the crisps of the golden leaves as he stepped on it. He could barely see buildings around the area, so as vehicles. It was like a masterpiece. The place was very clean and very peaceful; the kind of place Ryeowook would want to live in. He viewed the place until the breath-taking sunrise before heading towards the car again. He continued taking the path while his heart beat faster and faster. He knew every time he’d take a turn he’s actually getting closer and closer to Ryeowook. And there, he reached Hoengseong. He searched for a place to park his car before walking within the county. Every step was like a torture. A sweet torture. As he walked he saw a church, several bungalows and two-storey buildings, the municipal hall, and then a colorful building with a flagpole in front of it. As he moved closer, he saw the name of the place, Hoengseong Kindergarten. He smiled upon finding the only kindergarten in the county. He sure walked long but it is now over. A few more steps and he’ll see Ryeowook again. He paced towards the school gate and peeked at the rails. He jumped as he heard someone spoke.

“What are you doing there, ahjussi?”

Kyuhyun looked down and saw a chubby little girl beside him. He breathed hard before kneeling in front of the girl. “I am looking for someone.”

The girl tilted her head and asked, “Who?”

Good timing. He won’t be wandering around to ask for Ryeowook. “Do you know Miss Kim Ryeowook?”

“Aa! Teacher Wookie? I think she’s already inside. You know ahjussi, I am late. Hehe.”

“Oh! You need to hurry now.”

“Help me ahjussi! Please accompany me to the room. And tell Teacher Wookie that I helped you so that she won’t be angry because I’m late!”

Kyuhyun chuckled at the child’s wittiness. “But I just talked to you for a short period of time.”

The child started to whine after hearing Kyuhyun’s answer. “Ahjussi! You’re looking for Teacher Wookie right? If you won’t accompany me I’ll tell her not to see you!”

Kyuhyun started to laugh and offered his hand to the child. “Okay. Okay. Let’s go!”

They walk towards the school building. It feels like his going to have a heart attack any time soon. Without him noticing, he held the girl’s hand tighter that she winced in a little pain.

“Ahjussi! It hurts! And we’re here in front of the room now!”

Startled, Kyuhyun let go of the child’s hand while uttering his sincere apologies. He went to the side of the door where he won’t be seen when it opens. The little girl then knocked on the door. Tick. Tick. Tick. It opened. Kyuhyun couldn’t see the person who opened the door but his heart is beating at its loudest.

The little girl then bowed and started to talk. “Teacher, sorry I’m late! I helped a tall guy outside. He wants to see you.”

“Tall guy?”

Kyuhyun’s heart beat louder. Louder than the loudest it can. It’s her voice. It’s her. She’s here.

“Yes Teacher!” as the child answered, he pulled the now-sweating hands of Kyuhyun. “Woah Ahjussi, your hands are wet! Here he is teacher!”

Kyuhyun could not bring his eyes onto Ryeowook. He’s waiting for this moment to arrive right? He has his head bowed and looked at the ground like it’s the most beautiful thing on Earth. They remained silent for quite some time before the child broke it. Thank God for this child.

“Woah Teacher, why is your face like that? You’re too cute! I’ll come in now okay?”

Kyuhyun stood still, head kept down, but he heard footsteps going near and he started to panic. He saw from his peripheral view that Ryeowook stepped outside the room before patting the child’s shoulder. “Okay. Go in. And class please be quiet okay?” and Ryeowook closed the door.

No one talked. They stood still outside the classroom for so long. Kyuhyun was still keeping his head down. Ryeowook was looking at him. They couldn’t waste time. Ryeowook, having something to do at that very moment, broke the awkward silence between them.

“Long time no see, Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun nodded in response. He wanted to talk but his voice wasn’t really cooperating. Why couldn’t I bring to open my mouth in very important situations like this?

“Ugh, you see, I still need to teach. Maybe we’ll talk later? There’s a cafeteria at the left corner of the building. You can eat there. Uhm~ there’s a playground outside. Uhh, entertain yourself. We’ll talk later okay? Sorry!”

For the nth time, Kyuhyun nodded. Well, he can wait, but the whiny children cannot. Upon getting Kyuhyun’s answer, Ryeowook immediately went inside and closed the door. Kyuhyun sighed. Left without any other choices, he wandered around the school. They will talk later. He and Ryeowook will finally talk later.

 

---

 

The sun is proudly showing itself. Even so, it was still cold and refreshing, much to Kyuhyun’s delight. It was almost noon and Ryeowook still was not free yet. Later. He mumbled while playing with the leaves using his foot. It only took a short time before he heard the children shouting.

“BYE TEACHER!! SEE YOU TOMORROW!”

Kyuhyun immediately shifted his gaze from the leaves to the gate. There he saw a beaming Ryeowook. It has been five years. Finally he can see that smile again. He missed it. He missed how Ryeowook’s eyes disappear when she’s smiling. He missed her voice. He missed her.

The children quickly departed after that. Ryeowook turned around and pouted which made Kyuhyun smile. She’s looking for something. Well, it can only be me. She’s looking for me. When Ryeowook’s eyes landed on the playground, he waved. She saw that and waved back before walking towards him. There you go again. He told his heart. It beat harder and louder as Ryeowook stepped closer. When she finally reached the bench where Kyuhyun’s sitting, she offered her hand. A handshake. But Kyuhyun’s expecting a hug. Nevertheless, he also extended his hand and they shook hands. Her hand is still soft. It is still warm.

Noticing that they’ve been shaking hands a bit longer, Ryeowook gave an awkward smile before pulling her hand out of Kyuhyun’s grip. “Can I sit?”

Kyuhyun panicked. Oh yeah, she’s standing. What the hell Kyu? “Oh yes.” Ryeowook sat down beside him. Kyuhyun looked at her. Stunning as ever. Ryeowook’s hair’s now short, about shoulder length, with the tips of it curled up. So cute. Oh wait, I need to say something. “Ugh~ how are you?” Great. Just a great thing to start a conversation.

Ryeowook looked at him. For the first time after 5 years, his eyes met hers again. The doe eyes that he missed so much. The very eyes that mirrors Ryeowook’s emotions. The eyes that outshines all the stars in the night sky. Kyuhyun felt like he’s drowned in Ryeowook’s eyes. They were now calm, as if nothing bad ever happened to her in her entire life. She smiled and it made his heart jump. “I’ve been fine. How about you?”

“Uhm, actually I’ve –“

Ryeowook’s phone rang. She apologized before she answered it. I’ve been missing you. I’ve had a not-so-happy life after you left. That’s what he wanted to say. Even though he didn’t want to eavesdrop he couldn’t help it, Ryeowook answered it right beside him. All he could hear was “Uhm.” “Yeah.” And “Okay I’ll wait.” When the phone call ended, Ryeowook looked at Kyuhyun again and apologized.

“It’s okay. Can I ask who it is?”

Ryeowook became restless. She took a deep breath before saying words Kyuhyun didn’t expect to hear. “Oh. Ah. Actually, I’ve quite of managed to move on after what happened between us. Ugh.. Thanks to him I guess.”

Kyuhyun trembled. He’s more than shocked to hear that. “B-boyfriend?”

 

 

 

Ryeowook shook her head. “No...

 

 

 

 

My husband.”

 

Kyuhyun’s world broke apart. His heart torn into thousands of pieces. He felt water forming in his eyes and a big lump on his throat. I can never have her now, right? He wanted to cry, but he couldn’t. Not in front of the girl he loves. He managed to remove the big lump before speaking again. “H-how’s he like?”

Ryeowook smiled. An awkward one. “Actually, he’s  bit like you. At first I thought I liked him because of the characteristics both of you shared. But he’s a lot eviller than you. He didn’t care about any other people beside himself. He loves himself so much. He’s also from the same status as you, rich. I don’t know why, am I a magnet which attracts rich people?”

Kyuhyun let out a fake laugh at that one which made Ryeowook stop from talking. “Oh sorry. Then?”

“Then. Hmm. He’s not in good terms with his parents. He’d also undergone that stage when he needs to choose between me and his family.” Ryeowook breathed out before continuing. “And you know what, he chose me. We aren’t living in a wealthy way but we are happy. Uhh, I don’t know if I should tell you this, you know, it’s a bit awkward.”

He’s stronger than me. He fought for Ryeowook. Unlike me, who left her because of reasons that didn’t really matter. “Uhh. Yeah.” And then there’s a moment of silence.

 

 

 

“Kyuhyun, why didn’t you take me over to the police?”

I can’t! I love you. Of course I can’t. “It’s not your fault Wook, it’s my fault. All of it.”

“Uhm. How are you?”

“…”

 

 

“Wookie-ah!” someone shouted.

Ryeowook stood up. “Oh! Heechul!”

Kyuhyun eyed the man that was Heechul. He’s a bit feminine in looks, but he looked decent. After that he looked at Ryeowook who was currently looking at the approaching man. Her eyes were calm and loving. Kyuhyun felt a pang inside his chest. He didn’t know if he could take it any longer. Those eyes used to be only for him. Those eyes used to cheer him up. Those eyes used to bring heaven closer to him. Those eyes… weren’t for him anymore.

“Who’s he?” Heechul asked as he stood in front of Ryeowook and looked at Kyuhyun.

“Uh—Heechul-ah, this is Kyuhyun. A friend from Seoul. Kyuhyun, this is Heechul, my husband.”

Your husband. Is this the kind of pain I gave you when I broke it up? When I broke us up? “Oh. I’m Kyuhyun, Ryeowook’s friend.” He said as he continuously bowed.

Heechul chuckled. “Haha, stop that, you’ll break you know.”

Kyuhyun then stopped bowing. He stood straight, eyes wandering everywhere but Ryeowook and Heechul. “Uhh. I need to go now, I have some appointments to attend. Ryeowook, nice meeting you again. And nice to meet you Heechul.”

Ryeowook frowned. “Don’t you want to eat with us first?”

“No. Thank you.” And with that Kyuhyun hurriedly walked towards the gate and hid somewhere. His tears started to fall as soon as Ryeowook was out of his sight. He fell to the ground hard. Real hard that it hurt his knees but he didn’t mind. The pain he’s feeling right now was unbearable. Nothing can overpower that pain in his heart. While he’s trying hard to control the sobs, he heard a familiar laugh. He immediately stood up and squeezed himself. Ryeowook must not see him like this.

While trying so hard to hide, he heard a voice which he assumed to be Heechul said, “So is he the ex-boyfriend of yours?”

“Yep. Jealous?”

Heechul laughed. “Yes. What if you still love him then you’ll choose him and leave me?”

This time it’s Ryeowook whom he heard laughing. That sound that was like a wonderful melody in his ears. “Chul, he’s the past. And you’re the present. Shouldn’t we focus on the present instead?”

“Do you regret loving him?”

Kyuhyun anticipated for her answer. Did she regret loving some bastard like me? He heard the girl sigh before answering. “No.”

“WHAT?!”

“No. Because of that love I became stronger. Because of that love I met you. What if I didn’t love him, will you think I’ll be able to create a fight with you? Will you fall head over heels for me if I didn’t love him? Huh?” Ryeowook teased. “But seriously Chul, I didn’t regret it. It’s one of the bravest decisions I’ve ever made, to love. And I’m happy and grateful to experience it all.”

Heechul, whom Kyuhyun imagined to be satisfied with Ryeowook’s answer, laughed but this time in a loving way. “Ugh. Okay, let’s eat now. I’m hungry!”

Kyuhyun heard the fading footsteps. After making sure that the couple were far away now, he went out from where he was hiding. He looked at the retreating figure of Ryeowook and Heechul. They were holding each others’ hands. He and Ryeowook used to do that. He used to be the one walking beside Ryeowook. I was supposed to be the one Heechul is now.

This is the consequence. He was the one to break it off, he was the one who let her go. She tried to ask him back but he refused. He’s so stupid. He’s so weak. He’d thought there’s still a chance for their used-to-be-perfect relationship. He wasn’t thinking of Ryeowook at all. It’s not like she can’t meet somebody that can fix her and change her mind. Five years, it’s been five freaking years. He drowned himself with regret. He could only regret now. He blamed himself. Maybe it can ease a bit of pain by blaming someone. But it didn’t. He should be happy for Ryeowook, but not now. He couldn’t. This pain would kill him. He deserved this. He was the bad one afterall, and even the bad ones could be hurt.

After Ryeowook and Heechul disappeared in the horizon, Kyuhyun turned around and started to walk. Each step led him farther from Ryeowook. He should do this, Ryeowook was happy now, and she didn’t need him anymore. He walked and walked, making sure that in each step he wouldn’t cross with Ryeowook’s path again.

 

END

 

 

So, what do you think? Okay, I'm so sorry for breaking kyuwook up but ugh~ dunno, ETIHYILY's ending told me that they weren't really meant to be together from the start and oh wa dunno. But don't you think the rice brothers' adorable? I'd love to know what you think. Please? //hides