Forever Scared

Goodbye Chicken? (One-shot)

Onew chewed into the drumstick with angst and delicious passion like he always did. Onew loved fried chicken very much. There were crumbs scattering all over around his lips to his puffed, smooth cheeks as he continued to savour the crispy delight of his KFC. Eating chicken was better than all the noonas in the world, he thought to himself.

“You know, hyung, you eat that more often and you won’t be able to fit into any clothing,” Minho pointed out, staring at his hyung with slightly glaring eyes, biting into his own piece of chicken - but with less… aggression.

“Yeah, and you don’t even work out as much,” Key added, crunching his nose in disgust with all the chicken on the table. Maybe having chicken for dinner wasn’t such a good idea for tonight. Key continued to the cupboards to find a bag of cookies, and took them.

Onew kept eating, oblivious of his dongsaengs’ comments.

“You won’t help us finish all these?” Jonghyun looked up at the sound of plastic crumpling, and gave Key a confused look.

“No, I don’t feel like eating… that… tonight,” Key spitted out bitterly, successfully ripping open the bag and gently picking up a cookie and bit into it.

“Fine, more chicken for me then,” Onew said, grabbing more drumsticks and onto his plate, with a stack of about 15 other chicken bone on the side. Key crunched his nose once again and sat on the empty chair next to Jonghyun, chewing on the same cookie.

“I’m full,” Taemin pouted, patting his flat stomach. It was usually hard to convince his hyungs that he was full, considering he had always looked so skinny. Sometimes the others think he’s just starving himself and pretending to not want to eat so he could maintain that body, “I’m gonna go sit and watch T.V.,” he added while standing up.

Everyone else shrugged, and Taemin walked out of the dining room. The low-volumed sounds of the T.V. echoing moments later.

“That’s enough chicken for me… for this month,” Minho finished as he tossed a chicken bone on his empty plate. He had already ate about 8 drumsticks. He wiped his mouth and stood up to go and join Taemin in the lounge.

There was silence, only the raging sounds of chewing from Onew filled the room.

After about 32 drumsticks, Onew leaned back in his chair, wiping his mouth and patting his washboard abs. It was huge. It seemed bigger than the other washboard abs seen before.

Finally out of the trance of his chicken paradise, Onew snapped to reality to find Jonghyun and Key staring at him blankly, both frozen to holding pieces of food in their slim fingers.

“What?” Onew asked, picking up a toothpick and picking through traces of chicken that were stuck between his pearly whites.

The two didn’t respond, and kept staring, they eyes shifting in unison to the mountain of chicken bone beside Onew’s plate. There was so much. No-one could understand how someone can devour so much poultry in one sitting.

Surely Onew-hyung can.

Onew frozed all of a sudden, his sparkling eyes growing wide as he quickly covered his mouth with a hand, his other placed on his stomach.

“O-Onew-hyung… are you okay?” Jonghyun propped forward in concern.

It looked like Onew was going to throw up. But he didn’t looked green.

The next thing they knew Onew was bloating up. His cheeks were inflating without stopping, his stomach growing bigger and bigger by the second. The violent stretching of his skin almost hurt. They heard ripping, and realised it was Onew’s pants.

They all started to panic, and Key screamed.

He screamed to the top of his lungs at the horror that was before his eyes.

Minho and Taemin dashed into the dining room to check on what happened, and both froze by the entrance, their eyes growing wide at the sight of Onew growing incessantly. It was worse than any of the horror movies they’ve watched.

Onew grew wider by the minute, it was uncomfortable. He already broke his chair and tumbled the table over and got Jonghyun and panic-stricken Key to run as far away from him as possible.

They were all scrunched together by the entrance: Jonghyun, Key, Minho and Taemin. Holding tight onto each other as if trying to get themselves small enough not to get squished.

Onew stared with huge eyes at his dongsaengs, panic filling every inch of what now is his fat-saturated body. He attempted to look up to see how far he’s growing, but instead hit his head hard into the ceiling, making him pass out.

 

AHHHHHHH!” Onew screamed, shooting up from his covers. There was sweat covering every inch of his skin. He panted and inhaled so much air that his lungs were aching.

The door swung open, revealing Minho with his eyes wide in alarm.

What happened, hyung!?” Minho asked furiously.

Onew stared at the nothingness in front of him, and flinched. He looked down on his stomach. It was flat. He lifted his muscly arms up and scrutinized them, still panting for air. He finally slapped both his clammy hands onto his face, letting his palms and fingers run through the smooth contours of his cheeks and jaw. He finally sighed in relief.

“…hyung?” Minho pressed, slowly walking towards his sweaty hyung.

Onew dropped his arms onto his lap, and quickly turned to Minho, a forced smile crawling up his cheeks.

“Are you okay?” Minho added, still worrying.

“I had a bad dream,” Onew replied, his eyebrows crunching as he flinched at the memory of the nightmare.

“Oh,” Minho said, and chuckled, “Well maybe breakfast will make you feel better,” he added, inviting his hyung to stand up and walk with him downstairs where everyone else was.

Onew followed, still limp from the horror he just experienced, he even tripped over missing a step on the stairs.

 

“So what’s for breakfast?” Onew inquired before they got in the dining room.

“Chicken!” Minho replied gleefully as he gestured to the bucket of KFC that was at the center of the table, with everyone getting their piece of drumstick.

Onew froze in his place. He felt like fainting.

No. Not chicken. Anything but chicken.

“Onew-hyung, are you okay?” Taemin asked through his filled mouth.

Onew was green.

He shook his head, “No, I don’t want chicken,” he managed to spit out nervously.

Huh?” everyone mused in unison. Did Onew just say he didn’t want chicken?

Onew. The Chicken Man. The one who would trade everything he had for KFC… just refused a bucket of glorious, crispy chicken for breakfast?

Everyone watched in disbelief as Onew slowly and limply walked to the cupboards to grab a bag of cookies, and walked, dazed, out of the dining room to the lounge.

Lee Jin Ki just turned down chicken. It was still so hard to believe.

 

Onew slumped into the couch and the T.V., picking up a cookie with his shaking fingers. He bit a small piece, chewed, and swallowed. His throat was so dry that the crumbs hurt going down.

The other four slowly walked into the lounge to find their hyung curled into a ball, silently munching on dry cookies.

“…hyung?” Key broke the silence, leaning over to see Onew’s horrified face.

“I don’t think I’d want another piece of chicken… ever,” Onew breathed out.

“Now, let’s not be too sudden. You wanna tell us what happened?” Jonghyun said, patting his hyung’s shoulders.

“Oh it’s horrible! I WAS FAT! Because of chicken…” Onew screamed, tears forming around his eyes.

Everyone fell silent for a while, and then they snorted in unison.

Onew turned furiously and shot glares at everyone, making the bag of cookies tumble over the floor.

Key chuckled, “Hyung, don’t worry. With all the work you do it’s impossible for you to gain weight,” he said reassuringly, trying to calm the panicking Onew.

Onew sighed. It’s true. He wasn’t going to get any fatter. But…

“I think I’m gonna lay off chicken for now,” he sighed again. Everyone blinked.

“Didn’t you just hear what I sa-” Key started, but Onew interrupted him.

“I heard what you said. But I’m a bit put off right now,” Onew replied, shoving the rest of the cookie in his mouth.

Key sighed, “Whatever makes you feel better, hyung,” he finished.

“Thanks,” Onew smiled weakly, and picked up the bag from the floor to get more cookies.

The rest left their hyung at peace with his cookies as they all got ready for the day ahead.

 

Onew thought about the chicken that was probably still in the dining room, and flinched.

He walked to the kitchen to return the bag in the cupboards, and glanced at the bucket of KFC everyone left standing.

He walked up to it, and picked up a drumstick, scrutinizing the imperfect bumps of the coating before putting it under his nose. He breathed in.

The smell. It was quite mouthwatering.

Maybe biting into you would make things better, he thought to himself.

He slowly opened his mouth, and then it hit him-

Bloating. Fat. Hitting head on the ceiling.

He had another look at the drumstick, scrutinizing it one more time. The grease was saturating in the crispy skin.

Grease, he thought. Grease… is fat. Fat. Hitting head on the ceiling.

He flinched hard, dropping the drumstick, letting it crash on the floor.

He stumbled aback, leaning his shaking palms on the kitchen counter, gasping for air. He glared at the lifeless piece of chicken on the floor with wide eyes, silently cursing at it.

With all the energy he could possibly grab, he ran for it. He ran out of the kitchen, up the stairs and back to his room, slamming the door shut loudly after running past it.

He curled himself into a ball, rocking himself back and forth against the side of his bed.

I need to keep myself sane, he thought. No more chicken.

That day no-one dared to show him not even a glimpse of chicken. No-one knew what happened, exactly.

But from then on, Onew was… afraid… of chicken.

 

The End.

Readers: I really appreciate comments (even constructive criticisms) so please don't be selfish to send me some 'cause I'm thinking of continuing with one-shots and I want you guys to help me to be a better writer.

kthxbai ♥