Final

Symbol for love (drabble)

"Look Donghae," a very jubilant, young Eunhyuk called from a few diameters away, "Forget-me-nots!"

7 year old Donghae stopped kicking over the dirt, and looked up from his spot on the home-made tire swing that him and his bestfriend, Eunhyuk made in the backwoods of Donghae's house. It was a nice place. Full of luscious green leaves that casted a dark green shadow over the whole clearing, Little critters, and bugs that hid in every dark corner of the forest, and baby blue birds that chirped the song of life from their home up in the tree tops. Donghae hopped down to the ground, and jogged over to where his monkey-looking friend was crouched down.

"For... Forget-me-nots? Why would a flower be called such a thing?" Donghae asked in a bored tone as he lowered himself into a squatting position to get a closer look at the bundle of bright blue flowers that were starting to grow under the big oak tree.

Eunhyuk shook his head, causing his black locks to sway side to side. "It's a special kind of flower, Donghae-ah." He said while replacing his gummy smile with a small frown.

Donghae tilted his head to the side, and reached out until his small finger tips came into contact with the delicate petals. He looked at Eunhyuk who seemed to be in total bliss, mesmerized by the simple looking plant.

"Special how?"

Eunhyuk looked at his best friend with innocent eyes, and chuckled. "It's a flower that represents love, Fishy. Sometimes they are given at funerals too as.. well.. as a forget me not! Do you understand now?" He ruffled the younger's hair.

"Yah!" Donghae shouted playfully as he chased Eunhyuk around the clearing. After a few minutes, both boys fell down in a fit of laughter, tears forming in their eyes.

"Yes, Hyukjae.. I get it." Donghae stood up and offered a hand to his best friend. Brushing off the back of their jeans, they made their way back home as the first signs of rain came hurling towards the ground, and hitting the top of their heads.

                                                                                                                                            - - -

"I like you.."

Eunhyuk stood frozen in his spot, back against the lockers as Donghae took another step foward, making the gap between them even smaller. He couldn't believe what he had just heard. Donghae... likes him? No, he obviously means he likes him as a friend! They've known each other since they were small children. They played together everyday, taking turns at each others house. He has to be talking about their good friendship.... was he? Soon, Eunhyuk could feel Donghae's warm breath, and he fluttered his eyes closed as he started to close the gap inbetween their lips as well. This was Eunhyuk's first ever real kiss, and it was the most sensual thing he has ever experienced in his whole 17 years of living.

He pulled back for air, and looked at Donghae with half- lidded eyes, and said the five words that he had longed to say since 5 years ago.

"I like you too, Donghae..."

                                                                                                                                            - - -

The weather had turned dark, ugly, and grey as the crowd walked towards the big, old oak tree that was located in the clearing behind Donghae's backyard. Everyone gathered silently around the freshly dug, and sniffles, and cried were heard scattered throughout the bunch. Donghae's once bright image was now replaced with a besotted one as the funeral service dragged on.

"We are gathered here today, to lay our beloved Lee Hyukjae to rest..."

Donghae looked up at the sky and let out a sigh, refusing to let the tears fall again. He rocked back and forth on his feet as thunder began to roar from afar, and he let out a slight chuckle. Eunhyuk would have been complaining about how he hated the rain because they could never do anything fun in such horrid weather, and Donghae would shut him up with a kiss, making Eunhyuk turn a bright shade of pink. Then the two of them would snuggle into each other's arms, and watch in silence as the rain pounded against their apartment window.

Soon enough, the service ended, and everyone left with soft spoken condolences to Eunhyuk's family, and Donghae. Although everyone had left, Donghae lingered for a bit, and just stared off into space as the light sprinkle wet his weary face. With a soft farewell, he his heel to leave, but stopped short as he saw a small batch of bright blue from the corner of his eyes. Turning his head, he let out a sob, and dropped to his knees at the sight before him. Putting a hand over his eye, his held back tears of sorrow, and grief all came flooding out at once.

"Forget-me-nots, Hyukjae-ah... Forget-me-nots.."