LEE HYUKJAE AND KIM SAERA

A Gift Called Love

Created on Sunday, ‎30 ‎October, ‎2011, ‏‎10:35:32 PM

CHARACTERS     : LEE HYUKJAE, KIM SAERA

 

23 December 2011, 8.00 p.m.

 

“This is great. Just great.”

                Lee Hyukjae massaged his forehead. He looked around, wondering if he could stop someone and ask for direction. But Hyukjae knew it was impossible. In this foreign country, he knew nothing; not even a single word. Hyukjae sighed heavily. He stretched out his right hand, palm up. Tiny snowflakes fell onto his palm. After few seconds, he hid his hand inside the pocket of his jacket. He felt cold, very cold.

“I need to find something hot to drink, fast.”

                When Hyukjae made a decision to travel to various countries alone, it caused a huge commotion among Super Junior members and his family. On top of that, he wanted to do it on Christmas. His mother firmly disagreed with his decision.

“Can’t you wait until Christmas is over?” His mother looked at him with a concern. His son was acting weird in these few days.

“I told you, remember. I want to see how other people celebrate Christmas. That’s all.”

“Of course they celebrate just like us. Christmas trees and decorations, presents and even Santa Claus. There’s no difference at all.” His mother tried to give a good reason to his son, but Hyukjae just shook his head.

“I want to see it by myself.”

“Hyukjae honey, tell me. I know something is not right.”

                Hyukjae looked away. His heart felt heavy. He did not know the cause of it but he felt there was a force that revolved around him, choking him. How could he tell her something that he was unsure of? All he knew that he needed some space to clear his mind.

“I’m tired.” Hyukjae answered slowly but loud enough for his mother to hear.

She was quiet for a few second before giving a big, warm hug to her youngest child. She noticed how tired he was lately. She knew he was overworked. She realized that his son need some time for himself.

“Must you go alone? Ask Donghae to go with you.” She asked worriedly.

“No. I can’t.” He hoped she understands. He needed to be alone.

 

 

                Hyukjae stood in front of a shop with a big sign. He knew it was a cafe since there was a big picture of a cup and a saucer in front of its door. He pushed the door and let himself in. There was barely any customer at all in the cafe. He rubbed both of his hand before walking towards the counter.

“Coffee.” He told the worker. The nice worker smiled at him before fetching him his order.

“I’m relieved that people in this country called coffee, coffee.” He muttered to himself while taking a seat near the window. He looked out of the window and all he could see was white everywhere. This sure was a heavy snowfall.

                This country supposed to be the last country he visited. In the past two weeks, he saw various countries with different language and culture. Every shops in every country displayed many products special for Christmas and he enjoyed buying something as tokens from countries that he went. He decided to return home after spending two or three days in this country.

“Okay, let’s see. I’m supposed to see that plaza here... Wait a minute... Have I passed it already?” Hyukjae muttered slowly under his breath. He discarded the map of the town aside, annoyed.

“Well, if you want to go to the Plaza, it’ll only take a couple of minutes by walking.”

                Hyukjae’s body jerked up. It felt weird to hear the language that he missed so much. He glanced to his right. A girl was holding her tray while taking seat next to the table beside him. When she noticed that Hyukjae was looking at her, she smiled a little before sipping her coffee. Hyukjae turned his attention back to his coffee and drank his own coffee.

                Hyukjae took out a notebook from his backpack. He closed his eyes for a while. Then, his hand slowly moved, writing some words on the blank page of the notebook. He hummed the melody, trying to match the lyric with the rhythm. After some time, Hyukjae gave up. He tossed his pen and crossed his arms. He had been trying to write something for his group’s next album but for the past two weeks, all he managed so far was four lines.

                He stretched his tired arms and his gaze fell on that girl. She was reading a book with headphones covered her ears. She curled up and even put a small soft toy that looked like a caterpillar on her stomach. Hyukjae chuckled. He put his head on the hard wooden table and continued to look at her. He did not know how long he did this because he felt like time wasn’t moving at all.

 

 

                When she moved to take her coffee cup, Hyukjae sat straight again. He looked at his watch. It was almost 10.30 p.m. Hyukjae stole a last glance at her before opening his notebook. Like water, the idea spilled. He wrote and wrote until a complete song was finished and he only took half an hour to do so. He massaged the back of his neck and turned to watch her. She was putting her things into her greenish gray coloured backpack.

“You said you wanted to see the Plaza. It looks beautiful at midnight.”

                Hyukjae smiled at her words and packed his things too. The girl stood beside his table, waiting for him to finish up packing.

“You’ll take me there?” Hyukjae asked, with a little begging tone.

“Hmm... Okay. I want to go to the Plaza too.” She told him while hugging her caterpillar.

“That’s cute.” He pointed.

“This? His name is Irumi.”

“Irumi?”

“Yes, Irumi.” She smiled and all Hyukjae knew that he was smiling back.

                They left the shop, walking side by side. The snowflakes already stopped falling and caused everything to be covered with white. Some shops were closed but there were still flashing signboards that could be seen here and there. It was a short trip to the Plaza. The first thing that Hyukjae spotted was a huge fountain.

“Why people called this place beautiful?” Hyukjae took a seat beside her on the bench.

“Wait until midnight and you’ll know.” She answered.

Hyukjae nodded and stared at the fountain in front of him. The silence crept in. There were so many things Hyukjae wanted to ask about the place but when he noticed how she remained quiet in her seat, Hyukjae pushed the thoughts away.

“Why you are alone?”

“Huh?” Hyukjae turned to the girl. Her eyes were still looking forward.

“Where are the other people?” This time, she was looking at him.

“You know who am I?”

                The girl nodded and Hyukjae sighed. He thought no one knew him in this country. Instead of feeling troubled by it, he felt relieved. At least, someone knew him and was kind enough to show him around.

“You know it was dangerous to travel alone? You don’t even familiar with the language.”

“Well, I managed for the last two weeks.”

                She pouted. Hyukjae laughed and poked her ‘Irumi’ that was placed between them.

“You’re famous. What would happen if someone kidnapped you and asked ransom and killed you?”

“Well, I admit I’m famous but I’m not rich.” Hyukjae showed his gummy smile. But the girl beside him still did not want to give up.

“Then, they’ll not ask ransom but immediately kill you.”

“What would be good to them if they killed me?”

                She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. Hyukjae imitated her and caused the latter to laugh. She shook her head.

“You’re definitely Eunhyuk that I knew.”

“Now, I prefer to be called Hyukjae.”

                She raised her eyebrows. Hyukjae took a deep breath and played with his jacket button. He did not feel like talking about it.

“Why? I mean, are you okay?”

“How much do you like me?”

“A lot.” Her blunt answer made Hyukjae laughed.

“You looked tired. People are worrying about you.” She said that before closing her eyes. Hyukjae was waiting for her to continue speaking but after some time, he knew that she did not want to be bothered. She was hurt.

“I’m tired of being called Eunhyuk.”

                Her eyes snapped open.

“I mean, Hyukjae was my real name but I barely heard it. Hyukjae is an ordinary boy who loves to dance but Eunhyuk... Eunhyuk is another story. Eunhyuk is a superstar, a dancing machine, have good sense of humour, loved by girls. Somehow, it doesn’t feel like Eunhyuk and Hyukjae is the same person.”

“You are the same person.”

“Huh?”

“Well, Eunhyuk doesn’t exist without Hyukjae. The one who cracks jokes in reality shows is always Hyukjae. Only he uses another name. The one who standing on the stage doing amazing dances is always Hyukjae too. The one who is loved by girls...” She rolled her eyes again. “Is always you, Hyukjae.”

Hyukjae smiled. He felt warm inside. He noticed something vibrating in his pant pocket. He took out his phone. There was Donghae’s 200th message saying ‘Where the hell are you?!!’ Hyukjae put the phone back and look at the girl. She was clasping her hands, watching the fountain.

“I come here every year, on my birthdays. I always believe that this fountain has special power. Don’t ask me what power it has, I don’t know.” She said quickly when Hyukjae opened his mouth to ask when the word ‘power’ was mentioned.

“So, tomorrow is your birthday. You have 5 minutes more.” Hyukjae looked at his watch.

“I always wish that I wanted to meet you, to see you since I did not have a chance to see your performance live. Now, I guess that the fountain really makes people’s wish comes true, only it took years to fulfil it.”

                She stood up and Hyukjae did the same thing. They continue to stare at the fountain. When the big clock twelve and the ‘ding dong’ sound could be heard across entire town, the fountain spilled its water, majestically went down. The water changed colour to red, blue, orange, purple and many more with the help of hundreds of small lights that were attached to the fountain. It was so beautiful. So beautiful beyond words like... Like the girl who was standing beside him. Hyukjae took her hand and she turned her head to look at him.

“Happy birthday.”

                The girl smiled and held Hyukjae’s hand tightly. It was like a dream, a dream that she always wanted it to be real. There were tears forming on the corner of her eyes but she did not bother to wipe it.

“What is your name?”

“Kim Saera.”

It was very quiet except for the sound of water splashing. Both of them were still watching the fountain, holding hands.

 

 

“What is your name, superstar?”

He smiled widely. “Lee Hyukjae.”

 

 

THE END

Finished on Saturday, ‎19 ‎November, ‎2011, 10:09:43 AM ‏‎