01

Memories of a Love Sonata

 Memories of a Love Sonata: Chapter 01

 

            Yuri giggles happily when a snowflake lands directly onto her cute button like nose. Her father warm-heartedly chuckles along with her giggles as he wraps her favorite red scarf around her neck to keep her warm. Her father had just closed his piano store for the day, it was nighttime and they were finally heading out. It was also going to be the start of a new year tomorrow and Yuri couldn’t wait since her father said she would be meeting someone special. That person was a boy around her age, her father said with a smile, and she knew in her heart that this person would definitely become her new best friend.

            Her father is now standing up after wrapping the scarf around her. She beams him a beautiful smile and reaches out for his hand. He smiles back and gently takes his daughter’s tiny little hand into his. Yuri then drags him down the sidewalk enjoying the feel of her father’s warm hand wrapped comfortingly around hers. She then begins to skip, while her father leisurely strides alongside her. He smiles once again upon seeing Yuri’s determined expression. He loved how her face would scrunch up adorably in concentration as she tried her hardest not to step on the cracks that were embedded deeply into the cement of the sidewalk. So cute just like her mother he thought to himself.

            The snow begins to fall in larger clumps, creating a new layer of snow to form on the snow that had already been piled up from the day before. Yuri immediately jumps into a small white mound of snow and starts to laugh from the cold fluffy touch of the flying flakes. Her father shakes his head while smiling and lifts her body up, placing her on top his shoulders now. She giggles again and looks up. The sight of falling snow leaves her in awe. She was up so high and she loved the feeling of freedom that it gave her. Yuri then spread her arms out wide pretending that they were wings and closed her eyes. Being on top of her father’s shoulders was one of the best feelings in the world.

            They finally came to a small park. It was covered in a thick layer of the new fallen snow adding to the childish winter wonderland feel to it. Yuri knew this place well and she widened her eyes in excitement when she saw the familiar hanging garden up in the distance. She patted her father’s head repeatedly to get his attention.

            “Appa? Appa? Are you going to play me your song again, appa?”

            He tilted his head backwards to see her and smiled, “Yes, my little Yuri.”

            She instantly smiles at his response.

            They entered the hanging garden and were greeted by some of the surviving plants that resided in there. Seeing all of the lifeless plants, Yuri couldn’t wait for it to be spring again. She loved coming here when it was spring. The hanging garden would transform into the most beautiful and amazing place to be for it would be covered in a lovely mixture of blooming flowers, all sorted out in an extravagant array of vibrant colors and the green vines would loop around each other, fully flushed in various green hues and textures. The air was also always very refreshing here, mostly due to the sweet aromas that the flowers would give off. This was Yuri’s favorite getaway and spring would always make it much more magical to her, although what she loved most about this place was her father’s perfect porcelain like piano.

            Yuri’s father placed her down on her feet and approached the white grand piano that was stationed exactly in the middle of the hanging garden. This piano was a gift he gave to the towns people when the park was first made. It was used for special occasions the town would host during festivities. He opened the lid and pulled the seat out before gesturing Yuri to come over to sit next to him. She quickly sat herself down not wanting to wait another second. Her father placed his fingers onto the piano keys and began to play out a soothing melody. Yuri eyed her father’s flexible and long fingers as he played. No matter how many times her father would play this song over and over for her, she would never tire from hearing it again and again.

            She quietly raised her small hands before her, giving a small glance to her father’s before looking back at her own again. Her hands were so small compared to her father’s. She frowned. She didn’t like how small they were. Her attention broke away from her tiny little hands when her father spoke out to her.

            “Play with me Yuri-ah. Appa wants to hear you play.”

            She nodded and brought her tiny hands up to the piano keys. Recently her father has been teaching her how to play the piano and she doesn’t want to disappoint him. Her fingers lightly trail over the keys, the notes coming out a bit too soft and choppy from her touch, but it doesn’t stop her father from smiling proudly down at her.

            They both finish the song together, the last note echoing delicately around the hanging garden. Yuri felt a burst of joy come over her body. Playing the piano with her father always made her feel this way. He ruffled her hair affectionately.

            “You’ve gotten better my little Yuri. Appa is happy.”

            Yuri hugged her father in response to his compliment, filled with too much happiness to reply with words. He lightly laughed at her adorable behavior before wrapping her tightly into his arms.

            “Appa?”

            “Yes, Yuri?”

            “We’ll always be together no matter what, right, appa?”

            He loosens his hold and looks down at his daughter. She was looking at him with curious eyes. He felt strange and unsure for some reason, not really understanding why Yuri would ask such a thing. He could only smile the thought away as he tapped her nose lightly.

            “Of course, silly. Appa and Yuri will always be together.”

            “And umma, too?”

            He chuckles, “Yes, my little Yuri, umma too. We’ll always be together.”

            She tackles her father with another hug as she smiles widely into his chest.

            Yes, we’ll always be together.

 

---

 

            A car screeches to a stop after hitting an unknown figure that had suddenly come out from nowhere.

            “APPA!”

            The young boy grabs a hold of her arms in attempt to hold her back. She struggles in his grip, fighting the stinging pain coming from her bleeding scraped up knees from when she hit the hard asphalt. She finally prevails against the boy’s strong hold and quickly runs to her father’s limp figure. Yuri desperately shakes her father’s shoulder with all her might.

            “Appa? Appa? APPA, ANSWER ME! APPA!”

            “Yuri-ah! Yuri! Yuri, there’s nothing you can do!” The boy shouts in broken sobs as he tries his hardest to pry her off her father’s body, “Yuri-ah! Yuri-ah!”

            She shakes her head roughly back and forth completely forgetting about the boy’s presence. The sounds of sirens are heard in the distance, but Yuri continues to ignore everything around her and taps her father’s face.

            “Appa, don’t leave me…appa wake up…” Large tears streak down her face, the water mixing together with dirt and blood, “Please, appa…don’t leave me…”

            She grabs onto her father’s hand. They’re turning cold. How can this be? Her father’s hands are always so warm. How can they be cold? Yuri begins to cry loudly as she continues to hold onto her father’s cold hand with both of her small tiny hands. She eyes them in disgust. Her hands are still too small compared to her father’s.

            The boy finally manages to break her away from her father. She does her best to resist against him again, but stops when he roughly turns her shoulders around, caging her tightly into his embrace. She clings onto his shirt before burying her face into it, having her tears soak into the fabric. The boy holds her as close as possible as he cries along with her. He begins to say a string of ‘mianhaes’ into her ears and ‘it’s going to be okays’ even though he knows that nothing was going to be okay.

            “W-wae…? A-andwae…andwae…a-appa…” She cries out brokenly.

            “I’m sorry, Yuri-ah. It’s my fault…it’s all my fault…I’m sorry…I’m so sorry…” The boy says to her while rocking her back and forth.

            The boy looks up. The paramedics have finally arrived. Yuri breaks away from the boy and stands up weakly. She watches as the paramedics surround her father’s lifeless body.

            It isn’t fair. How could he? She clenched her fist in confused anger and sadness. Why did you leave me appa? You said we would always be together…

            The wind begins to blow picking up cherry blossoms petals from nearby. They brush lightly against her cheek before flying away to the sky.

            Appa…

             New tears form on her face.

            The boy gently takes her small hand in his and gives it a tight squeeze. She watches as the cherry blossoms float around her father. It’s like they’re taking his soul away when the wind blows.

            Cherry blossoms are like spring’s falling snow. It’s spring, Yuri’s favorite season. Yuri decides she hates spring.

 

---

A/N:

How was it? I hope it was good.

First chapter reflects the main character’s past. The next chapter will be in present time.

I would also really love it if you left comments. =)

Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day! ^^

<3 dububrit-on