Jonghyun: Amusement Park Date!

Jonghyun - Ferris Wheels

 

   “I bet I could do it,” Jonghyun said confidently, closing one eye and aiming the fake rifle at the target.

   “No way, it’s almost ten feet away!” I replied doubtfully.

   He lowered his rifle to look at me, pretending to be shocked and hurt. “Hey! If you don’t have faith in your boyfriend, who will?”

   “I’m sure your mommy has tons of faith in you,” I giggled.

   “I’ll bet you anything that I can hit it. Anything you want? I’ll win it.”

   We both silently scanned the prizes on the wall for a moment. A stuffed monkey, a gigantic rubber duck, a stuffed version of a yo-yo, a plush turtle, a giant squeaky hammer – “Ah!” I cried. “I want that one!” I pointed to the hammer. It was one of those blow-up toys.

   “That’s so you…I’ll hit you on the head with it once I win, for not believing in me.”

   “Keep on talking! Actions speak louder than words,” I smirked. “What do I get if you don’t win?”

   He contemplated for a moment. “Not the hammer,” he joked.

   I shoved him lightly on the shoulder, and then motioned for him to shoot. “Go then, prove me wrong.”

   BANG.

   I tried to keep the awe from showing on my face as his first shot already hit the second ring, right next to the target. He shot a quick, proud smile at me, before aiming his second shot.

   BANG.

   He hit the target this time, and I couldn’t help but applaud, bouncing up and down. I saw him smirking at me though, and quickly stopped. “I mean…that was impressive,” I said nonchalantly. I gave him a bright smile while he chuckled.

   I went off to the side and sat on the bench while he went to retrieve our prize. Or, I suppose, his prize. We had been at the amusement park for a couple of hours now, and we had already gone through a majority of the attractions.

   He had held my hand through the Haunted House, trying to lead the way – “Like a man,” he had stated – although he had flinched almost as much as I did. He had followed my whims and went along with me up and down the gigantic slide, even though we were surrounded by children. He had let me drag him along to the souvenir shop, where we tried on little hats and masks for a good half hour. Against my many protests, he had dragged me onto a roller coaster, where I felt as though my guts were turning inside out. Although, getting to cling onto his arm the entire time, and hearing him scream right along with me almost made the ride worth it. It was getting late now, and the sun was starting to set, basking the entire park in a warm, orange glow.

   SQUEAK.

   I jumped in surprise as I felt something hit my head softly. I twisted my head around to find Jonghyun standing behind the bench, with the squeaky hammer in his hand.

   “I told you that I’d hit you on the head after I won. You owe me now,” he said teasingly.

   “Hey!” I stood, and we began walking around aimlessly. “Owe you what? We didn’t actually bet on anything!”

   “I’ll think about it and get back to you. Look forward to it.”

   “I’m not going on another roller coaster!”

   “I wasn’t thinking anything like that, but that sounds like a good idea…”

   “Do you want to die?” I took the hammer from him, and bonked him playfully on the head.

   “It’s getting late, we have to leave soon…”

   “Can we go on one more thing? Just one more?”

   “No,” he said, so bluntly that I just stared at him blankly. I was way too used to him following every one of my wishes, I realized. I was starting to get spoiled by him. “We have to do two more things, because I want to do something too,” he grinned.

   I grinned right back. “That’s fine with me,” I replied, glancing at him. “But could we please, please, go – “

   “On the Ferris wheel?” He interrupted me, but he had caught right onto my train of thought.

   “Yes! How’d you know?”

   “It seems like a couple thing to do…and we’re a couple,” he said, grabbing my free hand. “I guess we’re only doing one thing, then, because that was what I was thinking of too.”

   “Well then, I guess great minds think alike.”

----

   “Here,” he said softly, holding out his hand and leading me into the compartment. It swung a little as we both clumsily climbed in, but we held onto each others’ arms for support.

   Happiness rushed through me as soon as the door closed, and we began to slowly ascend towards the sky.

   “I had a lot of fun today,” I sighed, relaxed.

   Jonghyun lay a hand on my thigh, as a sweet gesture. “So did I. Though I could’ve gone without the haunted house part.”

   “You were more scared than I was.”

   “You were this close to ripping my arm off.”

   “I won’t hold your arm next time then!” I giggled, before sliding a little bit closer to him on the bench-like seat.

   “Are you being shy? Come closer,” he smiled, before putting an arm around my shoulder and tugging me until I was right up against his side.
   I felt myself grow warm at how close we were now, but my heart swelled with happiness.

   “I know what you owe me now,” he started.

   “What do I owe?” I said warily.

   “A kiss.”

   I stared at him, shocked speechless. We had been on dates. We had held hands. He had put his arm across my back and on my shoulder, just like now. But a kiss? Not yet.

   “I want one…on the lips.” He said, leaning his head down and looking me in the eye.

   I smile shyly. I actually really did want to have our first kiss, and this was a perfect moment. On the Ferris wheel, after an incredible date…

   I bumped his nose with mine, and smiled, as he started to close the distance between our lips. I shut my lids slowly, just as our lips collided. So smooth, soft and warm. With the sun slowly setting, the amusement park far below us, and the perfect boyfriend who still had his arm around me, my heart was ready to burst with content.

   We pulled apart, slowly opening our eyes to stare at each other sappily.

   “Today is perfect,” I said, before leaning in for another kiss.

   I had a feeling that I was never going to get enough.