one

of high heels and runways
Please log in to read the full chapter

Touching down in Seoul is always a breath of fresh air. Not to draw comparison with her homeland but the industry is so cutthroat here. If someone had told Sana about the trials and tribulations of the modeling industry before she even applied; maybe she wouldn’t have wasted almost eight years of her life trying to stand out from the crowd. Years of watching out for others only resulted in Sana getting stabbed in the back for nothing. She wanted to get along with her peers, without any unnecessary drama and petty fighting. Women fighting women is not her thing, and it sickens her to witness it for herself. 

Working with at least a hundred different models over the years, Sana can only name two other models that she formed genuine, close-knitted friendships with: Hirai Momo and Myoui Mina. In fact, they are the very people who encouraged her to come to Korea to try her luck again since they’re also here on two different schedules. 

“SATANG! OVER HERE!” 

Sana looks over and facepalms when she sees a bright, neon pink sign staring back at her face. What’s the point in a disguise if her face is plastered on a huge board like that? She pulls her cap even lower and brisk-walks to her friend. 

“You’re killing me, Momoring. I should have just turned up in my Prada dress and shoes if you were going to announce my arrival to the entire airport.” 

Momo pouts, throwing her arms around Sana. “I was just excited! I haven’t seen you since Korea’s fashion week last year.”  

Her very first fashion week in Korea was actually the definition of hell on earth. Not only was Sana the sole representative from her agency in Osaka, her roster was completely different from both Mina and Momo. It wasn’t Sana’s first time venturing on her own, far from it, but it was the first time she nearly got into a brawl – not really, she was like a kicked puppy through it all – with another model. 

 

“Sana! You’re going up right after Tzuyu!”

Korea Fashion Week was surprisingly more diverse than Sana expected, with models flying in from multiple countries to participate as well. She already had friendly encounters with a model from Canada, Tzuyu from Taiwan and of course, a five-minute meet up with Mina backstage. 

“Okay, coming!” 

Now in Sana’s defence first and foremost, this is far from one of her many clumsy moments. She makes an extra effort to be mindful of her surroundings especially when they're about to go on the runway with their heels and long dresses. The six-inch stilettos paired with lacey trails already looked horribly hazardous from the get-go, but imagine the heightened levels of danger when there are countless people rushing to and fro in such a small space. Quite predictably, Sana bumps into another model and sends the latter crashing to the ground with a shrill scream.

“I’m so sor–” 

“Are you ing blind? What are eyes for if you don't make good use of them?”  

Sana unconsciously retracts her outstretched hand, the initial shame of causing an accident doubling down into embarrassment after receiving the brunt of the other model’s anger. Her face is already warm, but this is making her entire body shake with discomfort. 

“I… I was unstable because of my heels. I’m really really sorry.” 

“Whatever. Your little accidents can cost a person their entire career so be more careful, will you? The next time this happens, I’ll be reporting you to your agency and making sure you don’t get to walk here. Hell, you shouldn't even be here when you definitely have senior models who are more deserving.” 

Sure, Sana’s been in the industry for two years already but she shouldn't be surprised by the possible conflicts but this really hurt for some reason. It’s literally Sana’s first show here in Korea, and donning such a big brand like Prada. It can't be that she’s a threat, or that she already stepped on her toes. She doesn't even know this model personally, nor have they worked together before. As to why her hostility feels so targeted, Sana is at a loss too; does she really deserve to be embarrassed in front of everyone in that manner? The quote, ‘a pretty face always comes with an attitude’, which Sana never took to heart until today, might just prove to be true.

“Okay… again, I’m sorry. I hope your ankle is alright.” 

Not even a single glance or any hint of emotion on the other woman’s face, just another huff before she leaves. 

Thankfully, the show went on without further hiccups but Sana’s night was absolutely ruined. She doesn’t even know how she completed her rounds for the evening; her brain filled with the Korean model angrily yelling at her in front of so many people. Prior warnings from both models and staff from her Japanese agency proved fruitless, because no one or anything could have prepared Sana for that heartbreaking incident. 

 

Traumatizing is a pretty accurate description of Sana’s experience here in Korea, and she refused the next three offers for Korea’s fashion week because she couldn’t shake off the shame from that fateful night. On top of that, she was also uninvited to other shows subsequently because of that particular video, which went viral on several social media platforms. 

“Are you still thinking about what happened?” Momo asks softly, rearranging the stray strands of hair on Sana’s face. She only heard about the incident almost a week after, and immediately went to Sana’s hotel room to comfort her. “I know you were really affected but I didn’t realize it stuck with you till today.” 

Sana just flashes one of the brightest smiles she can muster at the moment, refusing to let this dampen her original excitement of meeting Momo again. “Forget about it. We’re finally working together again and on the same night too! It would be perfect if Mina and Tzuyu were here too though…” 

The two women make their way out of the arrival hall, engrossed in their own conversation that they fail to realize a particular car pulling up to the entrance. Momo can’t help but mentally pat herself on the back for arranging this on her own; Sana is going to love this. 

“So… I asked a friend for a favour, because we both can’t drive. She’ll drop us off at my hotel and then we can get a room upgrade to a suite. That way, neither of us will be too lonely or homesick!” Momo exclaims.  

“... You’re just scared to sleep alone, aren’t you?” 

Momo deliberately ignores the question and excitedly pulls Sana by the hand towards the white BMW parked along the roadside with its hazard lights on. She was half-sceptical about whether her friend would actually keep to her word because the latter has two shows tomorrow.  

“Unnie! I knew you would come!” Sana is shoved into the backseat with Momo barrelling in beside her, unbothered by the scowl on the driver’s face. “Sana, this is Nayeon-unnie. Nayeon-unnie, this is the one I was telling you about, Minatozaki Sana.” 

The Tommy Hilfiger sunglasses and Rolex on her thin wrist are already a little intimidating for our first meeting , but Sana won’t ever voice that thought aloud; she is sitting in her car after all. Her innermost emotions are probably plastered on her face because the driver soon takes off the glasses, hand combing through her silky, auburn-coloured hair. Is it weird to assume that Momo’s friend is probably very beautiful? When Sana finally comes face to face with Momo’s mysterious friend though, goes dry and her entire body tenses up in Momo’s hold.

“Hi, I’m Nayeon. It’s nice to meet you, Sana.” 

“H-Hello…”

Now, Sana occasionally takes time to warm up to a new face but she’s just quietly staring out the window without engaging in any conversation. For a chatterbox who never keeps shut around Momo, her behaviour is extremely worrying. 

 

Text message from Momoring

Satang…

What’s wrong

 

Sana looks up with semi-closed eyes, exhaustion from back-to-back flights and now with the same pretty woman from that night.   

 

Text message from Satang

remember the model who shouted at me during KR Fashion week?

i didn’t know her name at the time.

i guess I know it now. 

 

“Thanks, Unnie. I’ll take it from here.” Momo smiles at Nayeon, holding the passenger car door open.

Nayeon looks at the reflection from her mirror, clearly taken with Sana. She tried to initiate several topics of interest but Sana either gave her one-word answers or tired smiles as a response. “Is your friend feeling unwell? She was so quiet during the ride.” 

Maybe because you yelled at her and embarrassed her in front of at least a hundred people during her first event here, Momo clenched her fist to maintain her facade. She might be friends with both of them but she knows Nayeon can be a bit of a firecracker, sometimes lashing out at undeserving people before beating herself up for it. Impulsive behaviour does not necessarily categorize a person as bad, but it can hurt feelings and Nayeon should know that. Sana is no pushover by any means, but anyone with half a surviving brain cell would know she can be fragile. 

“She’s fine, don’t worry.”

“Oh, wait!”  Nayeon leans over and holds onto Momo’s wrist, big eyes peering up at her friend. “Are we still on for dinner tonight, Momo? I booked us a table at one of your favourite Japanese restaurants here so both you and your friend can have something that reminds you of home. Jihyo’s coming too, by the way.” 

Momo contemplates the relatively innocent suggestion as if it’s a life-or-death situation, face pulling into a frown. What if Sana storms off during dinner? Hell, what if she tried to switch hotels after Momo tells her about dinner? 

“Come on…. You two need to eat dinner and I think your friend’s super cute!” 

Sana probably doesn’t see you the same way, is what Momo wants to say but her brain malfunctioned for a hot second and instead she says, “We’ll see you at the restaurant tonight then. Text me the address.”

Once Momo closes the door, Nayeon can’t help but laugh to herself; it’s wildly embarrassing to be giggling and kicking her feet at the thought of having dinner with Momo’s beautiful friend. She was so ready to apologize to Momo for not being able to pick them up because her photoshoot ended at almost three in the morning, so there was only three hours for her to rest. God certainly showed pity and rewarded Nayeon for being a good friend because Minatozaki Sana is the most gorgeous, ethereal woman she has ever seen in her life, and they literally work in an industry with godly-looking folks. 

Acting like a teenager with a crush was never in Nayeon’s dictionary but Sana already has her wrapped around her pinky and the latter doesn’t even know it yet. 

Can’t wait to charm the socks off you, Minatozaki Sana. 

 

 

“I can’t believe you agreed to dinner even after I hinted at you, Momo. You’re unbelievable useless around pretty women.” Sana grumbles, putting on eyeliner in front of the full body mirror. She glares at her friend on their combined beds, Momo lying flat like a starfish so she can avoid Sana’s gaze. “I mean I can barely function around hot women too but you… you traitor.” 

“That was not the reason!” Momo sits up, crossing her legs with a sullen expression. “I just think things can be ironed out with a little conversation. Satang, you want an apology and she needs to give it to you but she needs to remember that night. Right now, she’s so into you that even I find it embarrassing!” Momo looks away and cuddles a pillow into her chest. “Besides, I’m already sleeping with her best friend . ”  

Despite the mundane look on Sana’s features, her stomach does a couple of flips at Momo’s revelation. The same woman who basically put her in a negative spotlight is now attracted to her? What kind of romantic comedy movie did Sana magically teleport herself into? 

Until she registers the whisper at the end of Momo’s excuses.

“I’m sorry, you what?” 

“Listen, Nayeon-unnie has a hot best friend and that’s all I’m going to say about it.” 

Sana crosses her arms over her chest, leaning back against the mirror with a -eating smirk. Just a few months ago, she offered to set Momo up with one of her childhood friends only to be turned down harshly by the latter. In fact, her jumpiness and firm denial during their Facetime call makes complete sense now. 

“And is that hot friend coming tonight? Maybe I want to charm her instead of the loudmouth.” 

“Her hot friend, who is mine and mine alone,” Momo makes sure to emphasize her words with good measure before wrinkling her nose at Sana, “is even louder than Nayeon-unnie so you can forget about that.” 

Momo is an easy target, always falling for random people she sees and then getting herself hurt… one of the biggest reasons why Sana wants to see this very woman that Momo is currently obsessed with. Plus, if she’s anything like Momo’s other friend-who-shall-not-be-named, Sana needs to be there tonight. Speaking of said woman, Sana is thoroughly convinced that she doesn’t recognise her from that night at all. Not only did Nayeon try to make the car ride as comfortable as possible, her not-so-subtle attempts at flirting with Sana did not escape her.

“I can see why you’ve been flying to so many countries, Sana. You look like a masterpiece.” 

“If you’re going to Paris fashion week in April, I will be there! If you’re flying alone, we can go around together and explore.” 

“Momo has great taste in friends.” 

It’s so ing confusing because Sana still has the events of that night etched in her mind like a stain, one that seems to get fainter with time but it’s never truly gone. The more rational part of her knows that Nayeon’s shouting wasn’t the absolute worst; the looks and gazes laced with disdain from other experienced models takes the cake easily. So, while Nayeon isn’t the sole perpetrator, she is the one who made a mountain out of a molehill and drew negative attention to Sana. 

Why did Im Nayeon have to be appealing, attractive, yet dumb and forgetful? 

At least if she did remember, maybe she would continue being a and terrorizing Sana till the end of Korea’s fashion week. That way, Sana can hate, despise and detest the woman without feeling guilty about it. 

“Satang, we’ll leave the moment you feel uncomfortable or need to step back.”

“I’ll also do my best to be civil, for your sake.” Sana isn't really comfortable now but it doesn't matter, they're already in the taxi anyway. “Plus, I do wanna meet your woman too.” 

 

In the restaurant, Park Jihyo sits across Nayeon with a bored gaze. The reservation was for seven, so why were they early by half an hour? 

“You brought me here because you wanted Momo’s friend to come, didn’t you?”

“Well, yes.” Nayeon mumbles, her eyes fixated on the front door. She knows they probably won’t be here yet, but the excitement just keeps building. “Momo is coming and you’re getting a free meal so I don’t know why you’re complaining at all!”

The slightest mention of Hirai Momo shouldn’t be igniting a flame in Jihyo’s gut; they’re clearly nothing but buddies in the eyes of the Japanese woman. She previously considered asking Momo out after breakfast together but the same morning, Momo left her in bed with no note whatsoever. Oh wait, she did leave a note - a pathetic text that said ‘ thank you for an amazing night as always, see you around x ’. Sleeping together on multiple occasions wouldn’t have given Jihyo the wrong idea by any means, but Momo would sometimes bring her breakfast in bed or show up at her home randomly just to spend time together.

God, Jihyo is tired of it all. 

“Hyo? Look alive, here they come.” 

Jihyo’s eyes skip over Momo intentionally, pretending they didn’t just make eye contact and ignore the million-dollar smile on the latter’s face.

“Hey, Unnie, Jihyo…” Momo clears , cheeks flaring rather uncharacteristically at Jihyo’s stern gaze. “This is Minatozaki Sana. We’ve worked on several shows together in Japan for a couple of years before Korea so she’s pretty much my best friend.” 

Sana bites the inside of her cheek, feeling Nayeon’s eyes on her. She bows politely at Jihyo, “It’s nice to meet you, Jihyo.”

“Likewise! Please have a seat.” 

The orders were sent in a jiffy, with Jihyo and Nayeon going along with whatever they wanted. Sana came here with the intention to see how compatible Momo is with Jihyo but the latter seems to be ignoring her friend, quite similar to how she attempts to ignore Nayeon for the second time today. Thankfully, Jihyo ordered another two bottles of sake as a welcoming gift for Sana.

“Sana… have we met before? I find you quite familiar but I can’t put my finger on it.”

“If you were also at Korea’s fashion week back in 2018, maybe we have…” Now normal Sana would remember that she promised Momo to behave, but this is three-glasses Sana who doesn’t recall a single thing from the entire day. “There was a viral video of someone screaming at me backstage after a minor collision; maybe that’s where you’ve seen me. Although, I’m pretty sure half of the world’s models already know me as the ditzy Japanese who can’t complete simple preparation without being a hazard.” 

The silence that befalls the table beats the silence in a library hands-down, with the three women staring at Sana like she’s grown a horn in the middle of her forehead. Momo, just pure flabbergasted that Sana’s honesty was taken to higher levels; Jihyo, not expecting such a blunt answer (which most people in the industry would keep secretive for the sake of their reputation). Nayeon, on the other hand, can’t seem to lift her head. With how hard she’s staring at the table, she might as well have carved a hole in it. 

“Well, don't stop talking on my account! I'm not at all bothered anymore.” Sana downs another shot, giggling into Momo's shoulder after when the latter tries to steady her. She ignores Nayeon (again), wondering why her chest feels so heavy. “Anywho, I’m very glad to meet you, Jihyo. I think you're perfect for Momoring.” 

Momo is half-expecting one of Jihyo’s coy expressions or a shy giggle that is typically directed at her often, not one that screams hurt. She has only good memories with Jihyo, either that or she ed up unknowingly and Jihyo is too nice to give her for it. 

“S-Sana… I… I am so sorry…” 

“It’s fine, whatever.” Sana stands up too fast, swaying a little before putting her hands on the table. “I’m.. I’m going to pee.”

It’s a golden opportunity for Jihyo to avoid this awkward situation and prevent Sana from falling over and hurting herself. She leaves the table - not before informing Nayeon - and scurries after Sana. 

“Unnie…”

Momo wants to apologise on Sana’s behalf, but nothing Sana said is short of the cold, hard truth. She feels bad for Nayeon; Nayeon looks utterly wrecked by Sana’s shocking rant, her eyes filled with hot, scalding tears. Perhaps Sana could have worded things better but no one knows the consequences it had on her career for the entirety of last year. Brand deals began to drop her without sympathy, taking the video as bad publicity and recognition. Fortunately, Sana’s agency stood by her and maintained it as a misunderstanding, continuously clearing up false rumors about her. 

If it wasn’t for that unwavering faith in Sana, God knows what she would have done if the company had fired her.

“Momo… did you know?”

“I found out when you were driving us to the hotel.” 

A stray tear makes its way down Nayeon’s cheek; no wonder Sana only gave one-word replies and paid zero attention to her flirting, very unlike Momo’s initial description of her.

It’s because of Nayeon herself. 

“Sana was going to speak to you about it, we just didn't foresee her getting drunk tonight.” Momo tries her best to comfort her friend, admittedly she isn't very good at it but she's trying. “Maybe once she's sober, you two could talk it out and let bygones be bygones.” 

To think the first woman that actually makes her heart race is the same woman she screamed at one year ago. This is karma at its finest, she just knows it. Nayeon buries her face into her palms, not used to letting people see her show any sign of weakness. She’s been in the industry for a good twelve years now, and she does training for the newer models. Every single day, Nayeon thinks about that night she lashed out at a junior model without hesitation. The devastated, crestfallen expression haunts her every time she’s preparing to go on the runway. She should have known better than to be so impulsive, despite having a horrible morning.

 

“Nayeon! Didn’t you say your ankle was hurting? Why are you here?”

“I got an injection from the doctor. He said it’ll keep the pain away for a couple of hours so I came back!” 

It’s a good thing to be hardworking, is it not? Despite a nagging ache in her ankle, Nayeon refuses to sit on the backburner. After all, doing more shows for her agency means they get more recognition, more deals, more revenue. 

“If your ankle acts up in the midst of your walk, then what’s going to happen? What can we possibly do to salvage the situation?” 

“But I-”

“No. You're not walking tonight, and that's final. We already found someone to replace you for this week, till next month. Use the time to recover.” 

Nayeon barely restrains from hitting the table with her fists, indignant about this new arrangement. She ignored the pain, forced herself to finish the previous night and took the initiative to get painkillers. The agency she’s under is the very same one she joined as a rookie, and she put the lights on in their building when they were going bankrupt. Now, they repay her with zero thanks, zero encouragement and on top of it, she's benched. She blindly squeezes through groups of people, head down to prevent people from noticing she's on the verge of a breakdown.  

Within a few seconds of running, she’s on the floor.

“I’m so sor–” 

 

The agency had ed her over that day, and Nayeon in turn took it out on Sana. She knew she overstepped within an hour, when the video started making its way around the models. The lighting had (unfortunately) worked towards Nayeon’s advantage, the top half of her face hidden in the dark while Sana’s was fully visible. The next day, Nayeon pleaded with her manager to find out who the model is and from which agency but to no avail, because the latter had left the country the same night. 

“I don’t think she will forgive me. The look on her face… Momo, you weren't there to witness it. God, I destroyed her confidence that night.” Nayeon whispers into her sweater paw, her sleeves probably damp with snort and tears. “I swear I tried to look for her; I even asked Jihyo and Jeong to help out but neither of them knew Sana.”

This is the exact explanation that Sana needs to hear but of course, she’s probably in the bathroom throwing up.  

“I might not have been there when you yelled, but I was at the same show and we stayed close for years. I think it’s safe to say I know what my best friend is like, and I know she’s not someone who likes holding grudges if the issue can be resolved.” 

Nayeon wants to tell Momo that people can change on a case-by-case basis; just because Sana is a forgiving person, it might not apply to her at all. With the things she spat that night, Nayeon knows she wouldn’t take it lying down if someone else had said those hurtful, cutthroat words to her. 

“Um… Sana refuses to come out. She’s crying and whining but I can’t make out what she’s saying.”

Momo leaps to her feet and about to bolt but is promptly stopped by Nayeon, much to Jihyo’s surprise. “I’ll go. I promise I’ll take care of her. Send me the room number, and accompany Jihyo home.”

The two women stand in awkward silence as Nayeon strides to the women’s toilet, her brain already forming different scenarios of how their conversation can go. She is definitely the last person Sana wants to see but maybe this could be a start; her redemption arc cannot be delayed any longer. It’s been six years since that mistake and it’s time to give Sana the apology she deserves. Once she takes care of Sana and makes good on her word, she’s going to owe Jihyo something else, because the brewing tension between them? Not something she wants to get in.

“MOMO! WHERE ARE YOU?” 

Oh, Sana is drunk drunk.

Whatever, Nayeon is no stranger to drunk folks. 

Clearing , she gently knocks on the door; maybe if she addresses Sana like Momo does, the woman will be fooled into coming out. “Satang?” 

“Momoring? I’m coming… ”

A loud echo from the metal bar in the toilet rings in Nayeon’s ears, but she smiles because it means Sana is trying to at least come out after spending a good half an hour on the floor… until Sana begins to whimper again. 

“Momo… the door is locked. I can’t open it…”

It probably isn’t the most appropriate time t

Please log in to read the full chapter