fin.

Fading Frames
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

She looked at the picture on her camera screen and smiled unconsciously, as always when capturing the subject's natural beauty. Zooming in on the girl's smile, she admired the shot, having nailed it perfectly once again. However, when she glanced up to observe her from afar, the girl was suddenly nowhere to be seen. "I guess I'll have to talk to her next time," Minjeong thought to herself with slight disappointment.

 

Scrolling through more photos of the girl saved on her camera, Minjeong was immersed in her work when a voice interrupted her thoughts. "That's a good shot. I look very happy there." Startled, she slowly lifted her head to find the girl standing beside her, having noticed Minjeong's discreet photography.

 

Minjeong's heart raced with nerves and embarrassment at being caught. Opening and closing like a fish, no words would come out to defend or explain herself. After a painfully long minute, she simply blurted out, "I'm sorry."

 

"Why?" the girl asked, eyes full of curiosity about Minjeong's actions.

 

"Uhm... B-Because I take pictures of you without your permission?" Minjeong replied hesitantly.

 

"Mhmm, it’s creepy. But the results are very impressive. Tell me, why do you take pictures of me?"

 

Minjeong had to restrain herself from taking another photo right then and there, so captivated by the girl's features. "I-I love to capture the beautiful things around me," she managed.

 

The girl looked around pensively before meeting Minjeong's gaze again. "What's your name?"

 

"Minjeong. K-kim Minjeong."

 

A pause followed as the girl seemed to consider Minjeong's flushed and nervous state. Finally, she asked with a chuckle, "S-so, K-kim Minjeong, are you saying that I'm beautiful?"

 

Holding the girl's eyes confidently now, Minjeong replied without hesitation, "Yes, I'm saying that you are."

 

---

 

"Kim Minjeong, you stupid!" Ryujin exclaimed as she gave Minjeong a hard smack on the head. They were eating lunch in the cafeteria when Minjeong had decided to tell Ryujin about her encounter with the mysterious girl from last week and how she neglected to ask for her name.

 

"I was creepy enough as it is. You don't expect me to scare her away and embarrass myself more," Minjeong defended. In truth, she deeply regretted not getting the stranger's name, though she wouldn't admit that to Ryujin.

 

"I actually expect you to be more embarrassing like getting her number and asking her out after taking her pictures every chance you get," Ryujin countered. "I mean, you should have taken advantage of the moment. She thinks you're creepy already, so why not be creepier, right?"

 

Ningning, who had joined them with her tray, interjected in the conversation. "That's the worst advice, Shin Ryujin. I think Minjeong knows what she's doing. And she's probably beating herself up enough as it is for not getting the girl's number, let alone her name." Ningning then burst into laughter with Ryujin, much to Minjeong's chagrin.

 

"And here I thought you were on my side, Ning," Minjeong complained.

 

More seriously, Ningning offered, "But in all honesty, next time you see her and before you start taking her picture, try befriending her first." She gave Minjeong a comforting pat on the head before digging into her food.

 

---

 

The weather was nice, so Minjeong decided to go to the park, hoping she might see the mysterious girl again. She spent hours wandering and snapping pictures of her surroundings, but still, there was no sign of her.

 

"Maybe she's busy," Minjeong thought as she started putting her camera away, feeling a bit disappointed at the thought of missing her favorite subject. It was as if something was lacking.

 

Suddenly, a familiar voice called out her name in the distance. Turning, Minjeong's heart skipped when she saw the girl waving at her, realizing it was the same person from before.

 

"Hey, you're the girl from last time, right?" she asked, approaching Minjeong. She nodded nervously, still feeling on edge around the girl.

 

"I remember you said you like capturing beauty. Well, I was thinking - maybe you could take my picture again?"

 

Minjeong's excitement and happiness surged at the request. "Of course, I'd love to," she replied smoothly, trying to hide her eagerness.

 

They walked through the park as Minjeong photographed the girl - Karina, as she'd learned her name was - and her beautiful smile. Conversation flowed easily as they discussed interests and hobbies, feeling a connection despite just meeting.

 

As the sun began to set, they sat on a bench gazing at the colorful sky. Karina leaned her head on Minjeong's shoulder, causing her heart to skip again.

 

"I'm sorry for calling you creepy before," Karina said with a smile. "You're not - you're just different, in a good way."

 

Minjeong looked away, cheeks reddening, trying to conceal how Karina's words made her feel.

 

---

 

As their weekly ritual went, Minjeong arrived at the park b with excitement. "The light is perfect by the roses today," she noted as Karina posed gracefully.

 

Snap after snap, Minjeong captured the beauty before her. "You're a natural," she praised, viewing the results on her camera screen.

 

Karina laughed. "I have a good photographer to make me look good." Their easy banter belied a bond strengthening with time.

 

Too soon the sun began to dip and colors exploded across the sky. "It never f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter