Chapter 1

Pictures on the wall

Please read the foreword first. Kamsahamnida. :)

 

White Day. Today was White Day.

“Minwoo, quick! The van’s here. ” his manager rushed him. Blinking, he snapped out of his daze and quickly grabbed his phone, stuffing it into his bag before dashing out of the door.

“Yah! What took you so long?” Jeongmin grinned. “Being the last one out is Youngmin’s role.”

“Hyung-” Youngmin began his protest but it got cut off by their manager, who was pushing them into the van.

“It takes some time to get to the airport. We’re dead if we miss the plane to Thailand.” He explained. The guys nodded and quickly got in.

Minwoo was actually quite excited about the trip. He liked to travel, even if that made their schedule even more exhausting…but he’d taken a lot longer to get ready that day because he kept getting lost in his own thoughts. He’d never had a girlfriend before, so White Day had never meant that much to him…but this was the first time he’d spent it away from his friends and family. He would be missing out on the loving gaze his father would give his mum as he handed her the gifts (he did it every year, even though she was way too old to even be bothered about the sweets) and the lovely-dovey giggles that filled the school hallway as his friends attempted to impress their girlfriends…but it never did make him feel lonely, to be single on that day because she would always drag him out in the afternoon, forcing him to hang out with her (and that sometimes involved him having to fake sick just to skip his starship trainee schedule and lessons) just so she didn’t seem like a “boyfriend-less loser”…or at least that’s the reason she gave each year ever since they turned 14 and her friends all decided they’ll experiment with dating. As they roamed about the mall, she’ll complain to him about how people their age were way too young to start getting involved in romantic relationships and he’ll just listen and laugh, which usually led to her whacking him. At the end of the day, they’ll go back home together and they’ll assure their parents that nothing romantic happened…because they were just friends, weren’t they?

Youngmin’s head hit into his shoulder. Minwoo slowly pushed it up so that he slept upright. Seemed like all the other guys had fallen asleep already. Even his manager was snoring.

Minwoo dug into his bag and fished out his phone. The company had promised to return their phones to them some time after they debuted and fortunately for the six of them, they had indeed kept their promise. Minwoo scrolled down his contact list till he found her name. Lee Sumin. They’d been good friends and neighbours since five. She’d accompanied him to his first acting audition, he’d been there at her first school concert…They’d last met at Lunar new Year, when the company let the members go home to celebrate, though that felt like ages ago. And the last they’d actually met before Lunar New Year was before Boyfriend’s debut in May last year. It was crazy but he missed her as much as he did his mum…

Lee Sumin.

He pressed on her name and typed in a text message. He’d felt the need to say something to her ever since waking up that day and knowing it was White Day…that nerd was probably studying now, he thought and laughed to himself.

Happy White Day ^o^

The reply was quicker than he’d expected. Tsk, don’t you have a schedule to focus on? Your manager’s gonna kill you ~ heheh. Happy White Day :D where’s my candy? ;)

You didn’t give me anything for Valentine’s, so I don’t owe you any candy eheheh ;) Only after he sent the message did he realise the reason why the phrase “owe me candy” sounded so familiar…it was rather long ago but he remembered that moment very clearly…

They’d been at the nearby playground, two little kids sprawled out at the bottom of the yellow and blue slides.

“Oppa gave candy to his girlfriend today.” She told him, “And appa did the same to omma.”

“Really?” Minwoo had asked, his mouth a tiny ‘o’, “Appa did the same…and I asked for some but he said no.” The boy frowned slightly. The candy had looked really good.

“I think they did the same things last year too…” she thought out loud. “Do you think it’s some special day?”

Minwoo shrugged. “Nobody’s told me anything about that.”

“But you always don’t know anything.” She teased.

“Hey, that’s not true-”

“Well, I think it’s a special day.” She stated, interrupting his protest on purpose, “A day when guys give candy to girls. Like appa did to omma.”

“You owe me White Day candy! No Min Woo, you better not forget!”

…Soomin bit her lip. Thinking about it, she’d been really shameless when she was young, as well as quite crazy some times. I wonder how Minwoo dealt with it, she thought to herself, a small grin appearing on her face. Tsk, and he never did give me any White Day candy. I thought I’d told you not to forget…

In all honesty, she’d forgotten as well, only to recall it now while he was, unknown to her, recalling it too. Ah...White Day. She'd woken up that morning feeling that things were a little bit...weird. As if something was missing. After reading his text messages, she realised that it was him. She missed her friend. All those crazy conversations they used to have as they wasted time roaming about the mall on White Day, how they'd come up with insane excuses for him to give to his Starship Entertainment Trainers the next day to explain why he'd missed class...For some reason, she felt the senseless need to spend this day with him, to roam about the streets among lovey-dovey-to-the-extent-it’s-sickening couples with him at her side, to talk to him about anything and everything under the sun, to complain about her classmates and get teased by him as being too judgemental, to simply be with him and hear his voice again. She realised she missed him. She missed him a lot.