-merry christmas-

bring me your crush
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bring me your crush

 

“Okay, okay, let’s make this game exciting.” Mark jumps up from sitting on the teacher’s table. He smirks mischievously like he has something devious planned. This was nothing new in their class. Usually when their professor doesn’t show up, either Mark or Christopher orchestrates something ridiculous to pass time. It’s nothing crazy. No one gets hurt. It’s usually funny and more often than not, Mark fishes out his wallet when he’s really bored.

 

Like right now.

 

When he pulls out his leather Ralph Lauren wallet, the boys holler and whistle because for sure, Mark has something up his sleeves again. 

 

“500 pesos!” He yells over the noise. The rest of class ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ as he pulls out the bill. “500 pesos is all yours if you’re brave enough to bring me your crush.” 

 

Everyone erupts in cheers, some pushing their friends to the person they supposedly like and some yelling out confessions from across the room. It doesn’t seem serious when both parties laugh and don't make a move to go to Mark. There are others who are whispering, eyes wandering around the room hoping to meet their crush’s eyes. 

 

Karina can only laugh. Her class can be annoying but she doesn’t mind them at times. She’s actually thankful that Mark does something stupid sometimes because it’s needed. For a breather. Karina doesn’t make any move whatsoever and continues to talk to Ning about their plans for the holidays. She's so engrossed in their conversation that she doesn’t realize that Ning has stopped talking.

 

“What?” Karina finally questions when she notices Ning looking at something…or someone behind her. Ning purses her lips, pointing. Karina turns and finds a red-faced Winter who looks like she doesn’t know if she should be standing in front of Karina or not. But she already got far enough that it’s useless for her to back down. “Winter?” Karina asks curiously.

 

“Uh, K-Karina,” Winter nervously gnaws on her lip. She looks everywhere but at Karina. “Can I — is it okay…I mean is it okay if I take you to Mark?” 

 

Confusion paints Karina’s face. Winter’s question seems to buzz in her ears and she’s suddenly frozen in her seat. Surprised is an understatement. For as long as Karina can remember, Winter rarely ever spoke to her. Not even when their families have been friends for the longest time. 

 

Back in grade school when Karina’s older sister would take them to school and home together, Winter never really talked to Karina. She would only walk quietly a few paces behind them. Karina would look back from time to time to see if Winter was still following them but that was about it. In high school, even with the same route, it seemed like the two didn’t know each other. Karina never minded it. She always thought that Winter preferred being alone. So she didn’t bother. And Karina isn’t one to initiate something especially if she doesn’t need to. Aside from the occasional small talk Karina does when their families get together, Karina leaves Winter to her own thoughts.

 

So it’s surprising that Winter suddenly mustered up whatever courage she had to basically confess. 

 

It’s basically a confession, right? What else would it be?

 

It’s a slight pinch in Karina’s arm that wakes her up in her sudden flashback. She doesn't realize how long she has been oddly staring (or spacing out) in front of Winter until she hears someone shriek from the other side of the room. It seems that someone has started chasing their crush. Karina frantically looks around and has to breathe a sigh of relief when she sees that only the ones in Karina’s vicinity are paying attention to them. It would have been embarrassing and yet even with the small amount of attention, Karina suddenly feels weird.

 

When she turns to look at Winter again, she sees her smile weakly at her and nods in what seems to be understanding. Winter whispers an ‘okay’ before she goes back to her seat. Karina’s eyes follow her walk across the room and watches her as Winter’s shoulder deflates as she breathes out a really long sigh. And it confuses Karina even more when she sees Winter’s only friend pat her back. 

 

“What was that about?” Ning immediately pounces on Karina as soon as Winter is out of earshot. “Winter likes you?” 

 

Not really knowing that answer to that question herself, Karina replies, “I really don’t know.” 

 

And when she sees Winter walking home in the same direction as her, she hangs behind, wondering what’s going on in Winter’s mind as she watches her long-time neighbour walk slowly towards her house. 

 

When Winter stops and turns to look at her, Karina almost trips in surprise and is left dumbfounded when Winter shyly wishes her ‘good night’ so softly, Karina would not have heard it if she wasn’t so attuned to Winter at that moment. 




 

***




 

Despite waking up at the crack of dawn, Karina really enjoys going to Simbang Gabi or Night Mass. It’s a Catholic Filipino tradition — a devotion

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter