Short ONE

SHORTS
Please log in to read the full chapter

Karina's heart raced alongside her pounding footsteps as she sprinted through the narrow alley. The frigid rain, like icy daggers, pierced through her clothes. Her breaths came out in quick, visible puffs, and the chill in the air felt as if it seeped right into her very bones.

The dim, flickering streetlights cast long shadows, distorting the shapes of the surrounding buildings. The sound of her footfalls merged with the relentless patter of rain, creating a chaotic rhythm that matched the urgency of her escape. 

Karina's soaked hair and clothes clung uncomfortably to her skin, impeding her progress and restricting her movements. Glancing over her shoulder, she saw the beasts closing in on her at an alarming speed. The creatures' scaly skin, reflecting the streetlights, accentuated the gleam of razor-like teeth and wicked claws. Their red orbs fixated on her, their bodies writhing and wriggling as they pushed and shoved each other—racing to get a taste of fresh meat and blood. She tightened her grip on the soaked bundle she clutched in her arms and ran faster.

Her legs throbbed with exhaustion, and her lungs begged for reprieve. Karina, amidst the downpour, pressed her earpiece and shouted, "NINGNING, I COULD USE A HAND HERE!"

A melodic sing-song voice resonated through Karina's earpiece, "Take two lefts and a right, and you'll find yourself at the park. Winter and Giselle are on standby."

Following the instructions, Karina executed the initial two left turns, culminating in a decisive right. Before her, the park unfolded with its scattering of trees, benches, and swings, and she sprinted directly towards it. 

Once she reached the park, Karina hastily put the bundle in the inside pocket of her coat,  turned around, closed her fists and bumped them twice. Swiftly, silver-metal armour enshrouded her, extending from her fists to envelop her entire form. She raised both hands to her chin in anticipation and widened her stance like a seasoned boxer. Karina silently observed the approaching beasts and waited. Assessing that they were within striking range, she struck the ground beneath her, sending shockwaves surging towards the beasts, causing them to lose balance.

Taking advantage of the chaos, Karina launched herself into the midst of the pack, unleashing a barrage of punches. The beasts recoiled as their skin singed upon contact with the silver armour. 

It took no time for the remaining beasts to regain their composure and launch a fierce counterattack. W

Please log in to read the full chapter