One

octopus hot dogs yakisoba
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It's lunch time for the seniors and Giselle is sitting at their usual spot in the cafeteria, listening to Ningning's woes of crushing on a straight girl. Although, from Giselle's research, Shuhua doesn't seem so straight? She can't figure it out, but ever since Soojin graduated early, Shuhua seems to keep to herself instead of the overactive theatrical star the school has come to know her as. Still, she entertains Ningning, giving her supportive comments to always pursue what she wants.

 

As for Giselle? Romance can wait until she gets to college, especially when the social circles here at this school are so firmly established, it's like going through security guards to get a chance to talk to someone within the clique.

 

(Probably because the security guards are waiting for a chance to date their queens. Quite loyal, these security guards.) 

 

Ningning blabbers about her day and Giselle listens, her cheeks inflating as she crunches on the limited edition Xxtra Flamin' Hot Ahh gochujang flavored potato crisps. As she munches on the delectable treats, she hums in approval, musing to herself that she'll leave a comment to the company's website (begs Megan thee Stallion in her DM's) to have these snacks become a permanent edition to the snack line for their region.

 

Giselle is very passionate about snacks.

 

Still lost in her world, Giselle feels her shoulders violently shaken, probably Ningning wanting her attention, but she pays her no mind. High school is so stressful, she just wants to enjoy her chips.

 

"Really? Great!! I'll see you tomorrow and we can talk about what to wear for the dance!"

 

Giselle opens her eyes and sees a beaming Karina smiling and waving at her before skipping away when the transition bell rings.

 

She blanches. Oh no, what has she gotten herself into?

 

Ningning gives her a stern look before picking up her lunch tray, "We'll talk later." 

 

Giselle nods, packing up to go to her next class.

 

-------


 

Giselle doesn't share any classes with Ningning after lunch, but she's all caught up with the drama when she gets home over the phone. She wishes Ningning could have slapped her harder or something while she was in her limited edition Xxtra Flamin' Hot Ahh gochujang flavored potato crisps haze.

 

"Girl, it's not like I didn't try. Next thing I know she was so happy, jumping and shrieking and clapping like a seal. And it's not fair how you got a girl to ask you out and you're not even gay." Ningning complains.

 

Giselle hesitates, she's still young, how could anyone dictate their life's truth with a mere 18 years of existence? 

 

"I'm not... I don't mind... I mean, I'm not sure until I try it out, but yeah no, that's crazy. She thought I said yes?" 

 

"Apparently," Ningning says exasperatedly, "you had red chips crumbs all over your mouth looking real gross and you nodded, so she thinks you're her date to the senior dance." 

 

"Oh my god," Giselle groans, rubbing her temples at the predicament she's in. 

 

"She'll probably wants a corsage and matching outfits, maybe a kiss in the moonlight and a late night dinner while you guys get to know each other more and then oh I don't know, you guys make out ugh that could be me and Shuhua,"

 

Giselle chuckles, this is exactly why she doesn't do crushes. She had taken an interest in someone just for a brief moment, the tiniest of moments, and when she realized it was all she could think about for a month, she said nope.

 

"Tomorrow, Gigi, break the news to her that you don't like her like that." 

 

"Totally. On it." 

 

"And do you have any more of those chips?" 

 

"I sure do."

 

"Great. Trash them." 

 

"How about no?"

 

-------

 

Giselle scans the hallway for a tall blonde. She's going to do it. She's nervous about rejecting Karina's invitation but she knows that it's the right thing to do to clear up the misunderstanding. Who knows, maybe there is someone at this school who would rather go with Karina. 

 

With a pep in her step, she marches towards what she thinks is a blonde head. 

 

Instead, Giselle gets yanked and gently pushed against the lockers with a menacing girl in front of her. 

 

. It's Winter, her crush from freshman year. Nobigdealnobigdealnobigdeal totally not a big deal. 

 

Giselle smiles endearingly, the one she uses to placate boys at school and men at stores. "Long time no see, Winter." 

 

Winter pauses before glowering and takes one step closer to Giselle. Giselle has nowhere to go. 

 

"Cut the crap. Why are you after my woman?"

 

Giselle laughs, she can't help it, there's actually a girl who likes that clumsy nerd? She'll admit that Karina's pretty so it's common for boys to like her, but she's so lame, a total wallflower.

 

"Your woman? You actually like her? Does she even know?"

 

Winter grips her shirt and growls. 

 

Growls? Did she just--yeah, no. Giselle sees red and pushes her back, a hand cocked on her hip, glaring at the ginger haired pile of rubbish--a hot pile of rubbish, ugh, no whatever, what the , she just crumpled her shirt. 

 

"Clothes may be hand-me-downs in your family, but please don't ruin it for others."

 

Winter looks like she's boiling in rage, so hilarious. Giselle smirks and crosses her arms when Winter invades her personal space again.

 

"Listen here you--" 

 

Yup, totally normal business in this hallway. A girl threatening another girl but like, in a homo way? No big deal.

 

"Karina is supposed to go to the dance with me."

 

"So why did she ask me?" Giselle quirks an eyebrow. Ningning is so going to love today's tea.

 

Winter huffs, "I-i don't know? Because you're gorgeous at some angles? I-I'm playing the long game. I've been leaving positive notes in her locker and I... I say hello to her everyday." 

 

Giselle laughs again and Winter slaps her arm. 

 

"I swear to God, I will kill you right in this hallway and it'll give me a chance to talk to Karina and I'll ask her to the dance since her date unfortunately died." 

 

"You look like you can't even pick up a 30 pound dumbbell with both of your arms, babe." 

 

Winter looks like she has had it, like she's about to knock Giselle unconscious and that's her cue to stop being a .

 

"Look, just--" Giselle is going to regret this, but she's not terrible. "Sit with me at lunch. I promise you I don't like Karina like that."

 

"Then why are you going with her?" 

 

"I'm not."

 

Winter looks at her dumbfounded like she just said that the earth is flat. 

 

"I'll explain everything."

 

-----

 

"H-hi." Winter sits gently with Giselle and Ningning. "Um, Giselle invited me."

 

Ningning stops eating her banana mid-bite, "Wow, is this like, your harem now?" 

 

Giselle groans, "Winter, this is Ningning. Ningning, this is Winter." 

 

Ningning looks like she has so many questions, but Giselle can count on her to still be friendly. 

 

"Hi, nice to meet you. So how do you know Giselle?" 

 

"It's nice to meet you too. As for Giselle," Winter glances at the modern geisha, "How do I word this? Do you know the saying, "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer?" Ningning nods. "We're like that." 

 

"What did you do now?" Ningning sighs.

 

"She stole my woman," Winter glares.

 

"What?" 

 

"Karina doesn't know she exists," Giselle pops in an Xxtra Flamin' Hot Ahh gochujang flavored potato chip, munching happily like om nom nom.

 

"Huh?"

 

"She does too! When someone says hello to you everyday, you know them!"

 

"Mr. Habizura says hello to everyone but he called me Krystal today," 

 

"And? Your point?"

 

"Hold on--"

 

"Wow, not only do you have a low iQ, but you're delusional as well. Think Karina dodged a bullet going for me instead of you." 

 

"I am not delusional, you egomaniac! She may have been blinded temporarily by your charms but she'll come around and see that I am the superior one!"

 

"Like a Korean supremacist? Red flag."

 

Giselle smirks looking at Winter clenching and unclenching her hands like she wants to strangle her. Hah, not in front of her bestie, loser.

 

"Ok fine, maybe Karina and I aren't as close as I thought. Why did you call me here?" 

 

Ningning is quietly slurping her noodles, eavesdropping, don't mind her. She was out of the conversation the moment the conversation started.

 

"I wanted to say I didn't mean to say yes when she asked yesterday. The crunch from my chips was really loud and I had my eyes closed, nodding to whatever Ningning said and that's what Karina saw. So," Giselle says solemnly, "I'm going to turn Karina down so you can ask her instead." 

 

"You are?" Winter asks hopefully.

 

"Yup, she's all yours." Giselle assures, "Do you know where she'll be during 6th?" 

 

"Yeah, she has Honors Calculus with Dr. Chen, but she's coming from World Civilizations with Ms. Park, so you'll see her along that route unless she goes to her locker or the restroom." 

 

"Stalker." 

 

"Giselle Uchinaga, I will seriously murder you and toss your remains into the ocean." 

 

Ningning is enraptured at the sight. She hasn't seen Giselle this lively and playful with anyone. And she wonders just how engrossed they are in their argument that they failed to notice the anime club president Karina Yu, holding her lunch tray wondering if she should sit down.

 

Ningning motions for her to stay, across from her and adjacent to Winter. 

 

Winter freezes and Giselle stutters. 

 

Ningning rolls her eyes. Why must it be the confident gay (aka herself) that gets no es? 

 

"Hi Karina, are you excited about the dance?"

 

Karina grins so heartedly Giselle wonders if she carried her sunglasses in her knapsack. 

 

"I sure am!! It's my first dance!! Giselle, do you have any preferences for colors? I still have my Ino cosplay, so I was wondering if we can dress up like Sai and Ino?"

 

Giselle clocks out at cosplay talk, her brain is already driving home.

 

"Here's a photo of them if you don't know," Karina reaches over diagonally to show Giselle her phone, "We can get you a wig and--" 

 

Giselle raises her hand to stop Karina from rambling, her fashion sense screaming at the atrocity of this "Sai" apparel. Ino would be a good look on Karina but hell to the no to her wearing a boy wig and compressing her chest.

 

"Karina, I'm going to stop you right there." 

 

"Is the cosplay too weird? We can wear dresses instead!" Karina rushes. "I'm sorry, I'm really excited to go to the dance with someone other than my grandpa. He kinda just shows up to eat all the snacks and catches up with the principal while I wait when he's done to dance."

 

A fellow snack connoisseur, Giselle can respect that, but damn, her grandpa? Aw Karina come on now, this is making it difficult for Giselle to let her down gently.

 

Winter looks like she's preoccupied, probably because she's shoulder to shoulder with Karina. She's probably screaming at the innocent contact.

 

So weird not to see an aggravated Winter.

 

"Karina sweetie," Giselle grimaces like it's painful to say the following words, like she's in a breath before downing bitter cough medicine.

 

Karina straightens up eagerly. "Yes?" 

 

"I appreciate you asking me to go to the dance with you, but I only see you as a friend. Yesterday was a misunderstanding. I was nodding at something else. I hope you can forgive me."

 

"Oh." Karina registers what she heard.

 

"That's... It's OK. It's fine. I'm fine. I'm OK. I'm--I'm going to go get something from the vending machine." Karina word vomits, retracting her phone. 

 

"Karina! Wait!" Ningning gets up to chase the fleeing blonde.

 

Giselle feels so bad seeing Karina holding back her tears trying to run away from them and even more perplexed to see Winter just sitting there.

 

God, this girl is useless.

 

"What are you doing? Go after her!" Giselle admonishes. 

 

"I'm nervous," Winter reveals. 

 

"Just get your up and say literally anything," 

 

"Like what?" 

 

"Like, 'Hi. I liked you all this time. We might not know each other, but I think we might get along well. Will you go to the dance with me?'" 

 

Winter doesn't say anything. 

 

Giselle feels a headache pulsating against her temple. She cannot do this. Winter better say something or she's going to catch these hands.

 

"Oh." Karina trembles, her voice lingers from behind Winter with Ningning by her side. "I..." She wipes her nose against her sleeve, "Top 10 Anime Betrayals by WatchMojo.com... I'm sorry, I'm going to go now." 

 

Ningning stares defeatedly, the pity dampening across the three of them like a blanket of shame and embarrassment.

 

Giselle covers her face and groans. She did not sign her soul contract to be born on this earth to torment Karina Yu or however the universe works. She's just here to eat snacks and make money to eat snacks. Maybe find someone that likes snacks like her, but like she said, that's a goal for College Giselle, not this Giselle. This Giselle wants to ignore Karina Yu until graduation where they'll never cross paths again. 

 

And then there's Winter, still sitting there, staring lost in her food. The is up with her? Just sitting there? If it were her and she liked somebody, she would maintain proximity and stay in constant communication.

 

"Why'd you choke?" 

 

Winter glares at her, stabbing her fork into the vegetables, "I-I don't know. I got shy." 

 

It's now Giselle's turn to refrain from strangling Winter. 

 

------

 

"Ew no, what is the matter with you? Just because I liked her during freshman year and she's all I could think about for like a month doesn't mean we're an interesting pair," 

 

"WHAT?" 

 

"Can you hear me?" Giselle touches the speaker icon and the mute button twice. "Yeah, and also! not a great start being pushed and getting bruises after ignoring me for three years," 

 

"I don't even know where to begin. That's some . But also... three years? Are you... upset that this is how she contacts you again after three years? Violent and rude?" 

 

"What? Pfft no. She's annoying." 

 

"Ok..."

 

"And Karina's just there."

 

"Any other girl you want to put down and regress the queer and feminist movement for 100 years?"

 

"Sorry, I'll be a good ally now."

 

"That's what I thought."

 

------

 

"Have you ever noticed how pretty Yuqi is? She looks like a puppy, a very mean and adorable puppy." Ningning mentions as they walk to their lunch table. 

 

"She does look like a puppy," Giselle agrees and continues walking like a train headed into a car collision with no way to stop. 

 

Because there at their table is Winter hesitantly waving at them in greeting. 

 

Giselle wonders. Are they friends now? Acquaintances? Contractor and hired help? 

 

Ningning breaks the tension by asking if Winter asked Karina to the dance. 

 

"I did, and she said it's okay, don't worry about it, she's going with her grandpa and that I should have fun with you," Winter frowns. 

 

Giselle covers to laugh, and Ningning whacks her arm to give her a look that says to be respectful and pay attention. 

 

"Did you tell her we aren't going?"

 

"I tried, but she wouldn't believe me." 

 

"I'm glad. Karina has standards for herself. Attagirl, Karina." 

 

This time Ningning pretends to cough, her bestie's clapbacks are absolutely savage. 

 

"I was wondering if you can get involved now and help me ask her out. Her self-esteem is so shot that she won't hear me," 

 

"Alright fine," Giselle gets up and ushers Winter to follow her. She holds her hand so Winter doesn't run away, "Let's do it right now." 

 

Winter is oddly silent. Ugh, whatever. 

 

She finds Karina eating outside at the school's patio, drawing comic panels or whatever. They look decently well-drawn for people with no faces. 

 

"Hey Karina, got a moment?" 

 

Karina turns around, immediately closing her book. She frowns seeing the interlocked hands. 

 

"Winter has something to tell you so I'll leave you be. Really consider what she has to say, ok?" Giselle gives her her trademarked smile, and she sees Karina's pale skin reddens. Hah, still got it. 

 

Feeling good, Giselle tries testing it out on Winter too. She pats Winter's cheek and coos, "Be a dear and use your big girl words, ok?"

 

Winter looks away, ears redder than her skin. 

 

Giselle sees it and basks in the moment, a smug grin on her lips. Winter probably wants to karate chop so hard but she can't because her precious Karina is here. 

 

Giselle's eyes twinkle, glancing between a blushing Karina and an enraged, but complacent Winter. She hasn't let go of her hand. 

 

Interesting. 

 

In her head, she cackles sinisterly because Bad Giselle's confidence is overflowing today and she's going to use it to find Yuqi after this and have her sit with Ningning. What can't she do, she's Giselle Uchinaga, and she's going to get done.

 

Giselle coyly rubs Winter's arm to get her attention, "Babygirl, did you hear what I said?" 

 

Winter shivers and squeaks out a stutter, looking at the ground.

 

Giselle uses the momentum of their skin contact to throw Winter towards Karina's lap. 

 

Karina manages to catch her safely before she stumbles, holding on to her hips to balance her.

 

Giselle doesn't need to see more. Giselle is done. 

 

Giselle leaves with a sashay of her hips, now where's that puppy? 

 

-------

 

"Winter told me that Karina rejected her again," 

 

Giselle screams into her phone.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter