FIN - Neighbors

Neighbors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As a lawyer, Joohyun usually works inside her office at her Law Firm. Most of her workers are always intimidated by her power, and let us remember to state her intellect and beauty. Joohyun takes any of her cases seriously and always looks up to her mother, a well-known judge. “Attorney Bae, a client is waiting for you.” Joohyun looks at her secretary before she nods and heads inside the conference room. She is a well-known Criminal Defense Lawyer, and she worked with many clients in her four-year career.

“Good afternoon, Miss Bae.” Joohyun bows back as she pulls a chair to sit, her eyes going towards the file in front of her. The lawyer looks at her client before she looks at the case in front of her. A smirk was evident before she closed the file. Joohyun drinks her tea before she breathes out.

“Did you do it?” Joohyun is an easy-to-deal lawyer. Honestly, she won tons of cases because of her great reasoning. Every time she enters the court, she’ll look at every possible angle of the case.

“I didn’t, Miss Bae, I swear….” Joohyun raised her hand before she nodded and signaled her secretary to bring the files into her office. The brunette lawyer stood up from her seat. That made the woman in front of her gulp.

“Okay, that is enough for me to hear now. I’ll let my other staff contact you once we need more. For now, please stay at home and avoid doing anything.” the woman nods like an obedient kid, making the brunette sigh as she shakes her head before heading out of the conference room.

This new case will undoubtedly take a lot of her time. “Attorney Bae, do you need anything else?” Joohyun shook her head before she opened her office’s door. Her eyes went toward the photo frame on her table. A photo of her and her mom after her oath-taking.

Joohyun remembers that her mom is in town right now, she finally returned from her trip to Paris, and the Judge is finally here to annoy her workaholic daughter. “Sakura, uhm, please ensure the maid prepares a full-course meal at home. My mother is coming back from her trip.” the secretary smiles before she nods and finally heads back to her table.

The brunette breathes out before leaning back into her swivel chair and reading the case. Her eyes were trained on the folder before she heard the door open. “Attorney Bae, Judge Bae is here.” Joohyun stood up and even closed her folder. The brunette was surprised when she saw her mother standing before the door.

“Aigoo, our ever-hard-working Attorney Bae.” Joohyun’s mother giggled as she removed her coat and placed it on the couch. The brunette lawyer could only smile at her mother. She got used to seeing her mother at home, but the judge decided to meet some of her friends from Law School in France and spent almost one month there.

“Mother, how was France? Did you manage to find a new French Man there?” Joohyun grinned before she sat on the couch right in front of Mother, who only rolled her eyes like she was one sort of teenager. The younger lawyer chuckled before she gave a folder to her mother. “Do you think I can win this case?” the judge reached for the folder before she gestured for Joohyun to continue. “The client hit the plaintiff with a baseball bat after a heated argument. The victim is under observation at the hospital after sustaining injuries.” The judge looked at the photos provided before she met Joohyun’s eyes. In the four years of being a lawyer, this was the first time she consulted her mother about the chances of winning a case. “The victim is a professional baseball player, while my client is the only daughter of a rich businessman in Korea.” Joohyun drank her tea before she breathed out and looked at her mother. She is trying her very best to read the judge’s face.

“What is your possible argument in this case?” the judge placed the folder down to look at her daughter. Joohyun was looking at her before she stood up from the couch. The lawyer reached for a photo on her desk and showed it to her mother.

“Upon the initial check-up after the emergency team responded, many bruises and fresh scratches were seen on my client’s body. They ran some medical examinations and figured the bruises were from a week ago.” Joohyun opened the medical report and let her mother see it. This again feels like law student Joohyun while her mother quizzes her as she prepares for her exams and recitation. “The victim is manipulative, and he is an abusive partner. We can have a psychological test for my client. To prove in court that he didn’t only cause some physical abuse to my client but also emotional abuse.” the judge nodded before she placed the photo in front of her daughter. An unmistakable grin was seen as she met her eyes.

“What if the jury thinks this is insufficient to support your claim? So you will argue that this is self-defense and your client just wants to free herself from this man?” Joohyun took a few seconds to recover, and her hand was placed at her back, her habit whenever she felt nervous. The judge noticed it, and she could only smile. Her daughter is a good lawyer but still feels shaken and anxious about her cases.

“I might need some time to gather more evidence to support this claim.” the judge nodded before she gave Joohyun the folder and the photos back. The older lawyer can see her daughter's troubled face, so she immediately pats her shoulder.

“And let your team do that. How about you take your mother to dinner now?” Joohyun could only chuckle before she grabbed her coat and wallet from her table. The judge was smiling before she clung to her daughter. “My pretty lawyer kid will treat me to dinner, and Mommy wants to eat some king crab.” these are the moments that Joohyun will always look forward to, going home to see her mother looking at her and listening to her case.

-

Joohyun was sitting in her living room, wearing her round eyeglasses and holding a tub of popcorn that her maid had just prepared. The lawyer was enjoying her peaceful rest day not until her mother showed up wearing a scream mask. The tub of popcorn almost fell from Joohyun’s grasp. “EOMMA!!!” the judge was laughing, making Joohyun roll her eyes and place the tub of popcorn on the table.

“Joohyun! Why don’t we put some Halloween decorations in your front yard? I will go buy some today.” Joohyun breathed out because she felt so done, especially when she saw her mother holding a fairy wand, which she handed to Joohyun. “Aigoo, look at our fairy Joohyunie.” the lawyer sighed like a defeated woman as she waved the wand, which made her mother giggle. “You won’t give me a grandchild, so I’m still stuck doing this with you.” Joohyun could only laugh as she watched how her mom was now ordering some Halloween decorations.

“Are we seriously doing this, eomma? Come on, it’s not like Halloween is something that we should celebrate.” the judge glared at her daughter before she stood up from the couch. That gesture made Joohyun chuckle before she started eating some of her popcorn.

“Whether you like it or not, I will place some Halloween decorations. I’ll also tell our neighbors that I’ll be giving out some candies to little kids.” the younger lawyer could only shrug and laugh as she watched her mother head upstairs while holding a Mario hat.

“Ya! Eomma, I got that from Universal Studios! Give that one back!” Joohyun laughed hard, especially when she saw her mother sticking her tongue while holding the Mario Hat in her hand.

“No! You told me that Halloween is not something that we should celebrate! You can’t have this hat back.” Joohyun was smiling as she found her mom adorable. Now, she started to wonder if the people back in court would believe her that this respected judge was throwing a tantrum because of Halloween.

That is how Joohyun wakes up a few days later, and her front yard is filled with different Halloween decorations. “Can’t believe eomma is this serious.” Joohyun shook her head before she reversed her car out of the garage. She stopped for a few seconds before she looked at the different decorations. The lawyer chuckled when she saw a giant pumpkin and cat inflatable, and the cat was black. Meanwhile, the pumpkin is a smiling one. “Now I wonder if the neighbors will believe that a Lawyer is residing here.” the lawyer gives it a final look before she starts to drive to her law firm.

The law firm is only a few minutes away from home. She immediately went inside and was welcomed by her team and her secretary. “Attorney Bae, we have new leads. We also spoke to Miss Choi regarding the case.” Joohyun extended her hand and was handed a folder with a new report written by her staff. “They have been in an on-and-off relationship for three years. During the past months, they have been having some sort of problems. The plaintiff has also been arrested before this happened.” Joohyun nods. She looks at her staff, who immediately starts to continue her report. “He was charged with physical assault, so he has an obvious temper.” the lawyer nods before she looks at her secretary. Sakura immediately went near to give her the iPad.

“I need you to get a copy of the previous case presented to the plaintiff. If you can secure a copy of the CCTV during the night of the incident, that would be better.” Karina, who is Joohyun’s staff nods as she starts to write everything. “Also, can you please call Miss Choi? I need to speak to her.” the intern nodded before she bowed and returned to her table. Joohyun breathes out before she enters her office.

A smile was seen on her face, and she knew she was ready to win this case and bring justice to her client.

-

Seungwan feels excited. She finally moved into this new house, away from the bustling life in Myeongdong. The street was peaceful, filled with flowers, and had a great park where she and her beloved samoyed baby Snow could walk daily. The veterinarian mentally took note to reward her secretary for finding this excellent street and place. “Snow, this will be our new home. Are you excited about our first morning walk?” Wendy was sitting on her couch while watching her dog look at her, and she was busy tying her shoelace and setting up her smartwatch. “Aigoo, look at you wagging your tail. My baby is so excited. Come on! Come on!” Seungwan’s dog is very well-trained. She goes out without leashing Snow. The samoyed follows her everywhere she goes and is usually well-behaved.

The blonde vet opens the door before she heads out. Snow follows her like an obedient dog. Seungwan smiles before she starts tapping Snow. The dog barks before they start running. Snow looked so fluffy, and Seungwan couldn’t help but admire her baby. The dog looks so free and happy, enough to make Seungwan happy. “Omo! The dog looks cute!” Seungwan heard a woman’s voice, which made her smile at her, and she was also snapping photos of Snow while they continued their routine.

Seungwan stopped running when they finally reached the park. She sat on one of the benches. Snow immediately lay flat on the ground, making Seungwan chuckle. “Aigoo, my Snow is tired. Here here, drink up.” Seungwan placed Snow’s portable bottle in a bowl before she drank her energy drink. “Do you like it here, Snow? It’s more peaceful and quiet here. I like it here.” Seungwan finishes her drink before she looks at Snow. Her baby is peacefully drinking her drink, and that makes her smile. “Thank you for making this walk so wonderful, Snow.” the vet stood up before she took the bottle and put it back inside her small bag.

Seungwan was shocked when Snow started running, so she immediately tried chasing her. Her samoyed started running to a house filled with Halloween decorations, and Seungwan couldn’t stop her baby from wrestling with the Cat and Pumpkin Inflatables. The veterinarian could only close her eyes as she watched how the giant pumpkin and cat earlier were now flat. Seungwan breathes out when she hears Snow barking and giving her the Cat inflatable.

The veterinarian could only hope that the woman living in this house was not a sort of Karen.

-

Joohyun was waiting for her client when she received a notification from her ring doorbell cam. The lawyer could only reach for her phone to check. She was confused when she saw a woman who looked so troubled while standing in front of their door. “Thank goodness you have a ring doorbell camera.” The woman's voice was soft as she gulped and bowed three times in a row. Joohyun chuckles as she feels so amused with how things are going. “Hi, my name is S…Seungwan. I’m sorry for stuttering. I’m just so nervous right now, and this is the only thing I can do.” the lawyer spins her swivel chair while holding her phone. She heard a deep sigh from the other line. “I just moved here a few days ago. So I’m sorry if I’m introducing myself in this way.” Joohyun was smiling, and she didn’t even know why. She’s looking at the woman like she hanged the stars for her. “Uhm, me and my dog were just having our morning routine walking around, but I think she thought that your Halloween decorations were so cute, and she decided to play with some of them?” the woman’s awkward chuckle made Joohyun chuckle. The lawyer is not into animals and is often scared and uncomfortable with them. “So… I’m sorry to inform you, but your giant pumpkin and catto is now a flaty flaty babie.” Joohyun’s laugh was heard inside her office as she saw how the woman showed the now flat inflatable into the ring doorbell camera. The lawyer herself thinks it is adorable to watch the woman show it and owes it to her dog’s mistake. “As compensation, I tried searching for where you bought all of those decorations. I guess you are someone who is into Halloween.” the woman is scrambling, and Joohyun can read that the woman is trying to crack a joke and chuckle to remove how tense she is. “S…so the cat inflatable is one hundred thousand Korean won, and the Pumpkin is one hundred fifty thousand Korean won aigoo Snow-ah, you are robbing mommy because you are playing too much.” Seungwan was seen to get some cash from her wallet, making Joohyun stand up from her swivel chair. “My sincere apologies. I know you value Halloween, and I’m sorry if my baby ruined some of your decorations. I..I’m leaving the payment here. You can find me across the street if you want to discuss it. My sincere apologies once again.” Joohyun could only smile when she saw Seungwan bowing as she exited the ring doorbell camera view. The lawyer placed her phone down as she stood up and looked at the view from her office.

“It is not like I will charge her with property damage. Well, I’m not sure about Halloween, girl.” Joohyun whispers before grabbing her phone and heading towards the conference room to meet her client.

The lawyer saw her client sitting while looking at her, and she could only offer a light smile before she sat in the chair in front of her. “Hello, Miss Bae. Your associate informed me that you wanted to talk with me.” Joohyun nods as she opens the folder containing a piece of new information to support the case.

“My associate made a few investigations, and we backtracked some of them. Your partner got the temper?” Miss Choi nodded as she looked down. Joohyun saw the woman before her shaking as she met her lawyer’s eye. “He was once charged with Physical Assault, and we can use it against him in court. We can say that you hit him for self-defense.” Joohyun’s voice was low as she looked at her client. The woman was shaking, so Joohyun reached for her hand. “Am I right? You did it because you were scared that he might do something bad to you. I need you to tell me what happened. I’m here to help you win this case and for you to get what you deserve.” her client nods as the tears fall from her eyes. The lawyer could only flash a soft smile before she patted her shoulders. “I’ll make sure we will win this case. Trust me.” Joohyun breathed out before she stood up from her seat.

Mentally taking notes that she won’t let her client suffer just because she wants to free herself and protect herself.

-

Joohyun looked at the inflatable at her front door, and the lawyer could only chuckle as she picked it up and looked at it. She also spots the cash hidden underneath it. “Damn, who the hell carries cash like this many today.” Joohyun picked it up before entering her garage to get her electric scooter. The lawyer returns the cash and says thank you to the woman.

The brunette was riding her scooter when she spotted a white samoyed puppy walking around the street. Fear immediately strikes Joohyun, and all she can do is hit her scooter's brake and stand there as she froze like ice. The dog, who looks so harmless and friendly, looks like a predator for the lawyer. Joohyun saw how the dog was looking at her and wagging her tail.

Snow, also clueless, starts barking and making her way near the lawyer, who looks like she’s experiencing constipation. Joohyun didn’t even know what she should do. She quietly hoped that a meteor would just drop and kill her on the spot. The lawyer could only take a step back as the dog gets closer. Just when Joohyun was close to fainting, she heard a familiar voice. “Snow-ah! Baby! Come, come!” Joohyun was surprised when she saw the same woman from her ring doorbell camera. The same blonde woman broke and paid for her Halloween decorations. “I’m sorry. Did she scare you by chance?” the lawyer froze there. She was staring

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter