whoever said distance makes the heart grow fonder?

whoever said distance makes the heart grow fonder?

 

 

Hyukjae was bored.

 

For the past five hours that he had been awake, he had done nothing constructive whatsoever, besides brushing his teeth and making himself some boring breakfast after putting out the food for Kkoming and Melo. Currently, he was staring at the television programme blankly, processing absolutely nothing.

 

The apartment was oddly quiet, besides the random snuffling from Kkomelo here and there. Hyukjae turned his attention to the small puppies that were rough-housing each other at the corner and pouted.

 

“How are you guys not missing Jongwoon hyung…?”

 

Hyukjae mumbled to himself. He looked on forlornly at the way the puppies were playing with each other, tails wagging and big smiles on their faces, no signs of misery and loneliness.

 

Why… why… why!! Why couldn’t he be a tiny little puppy too so he would not have to experience stupid emotions like missing his stupid boyfriend because of a few days apart!!!

 

Jongwoon had been away for three days only and Hyukjae could tangibly feel the absence of his lover already. It was not like they had not gone longer away from each other either, they had very different and busy schedules after all. Just that this time, Hyukjae coincidentally had less schedules and more free time, which would usually be filled with spending time with Jongwoon instead. And even before Jongwoon had left to Japan for his album making, they didn’t get the chance to see each other properly for a date or anything because his hyung was too busy settling some finances at the cafes while he was busy tidying up loose ends with SMent. Hyukjae grumbled at the thought of how it had been more than two weeks since he last received a tight hug from Jongwoon, or had the chance to hog Jongwoon’s attention all to himself.

 

But it wasn’t as if he had completely no contact with Jongwoon too. In fact, just last night, they had a three hours long video call where they just went about their own mundane routines together. At one point, Hyukjae was even clipping his toenails while Jongwoon was picking at the split ends of his damaged hair — Hyukjae actually took a screenshot of how domesticated they looked like together on screen, even though they were miles apart from each other. There would be a curious question here and there from Hyukjae about the progress of Jongwoon’s filming, Jongwoon would ask for Hyukjae to hold up Kkoming and Melo so that he could coo at them (to which Hyukjae would pout jealously and complain about hyung, why didn’t you call me ‘cute’ too), or nag at Hyukjae for procrastinating all the administrative work for setting up the new company with Donghae.

 

But it still wasn’t enough!!! Hyukjae missed his boyfriend’s indulgent smiles, warm cuddles, and loud laughter in person — he even missed the random cursing and punches from Jongwoon. Curse whoever that said distance makes the heart grows fonder. He’s pretty sure he’s fond enough of Jongwoon already!

 

Hyukjae tuned out of his wistful thoughts when he realised that Kkomelo had stopped their play-fighting and quietened down. The two were now munching on a jerky that Hyukjae had left with them earlier.

 

Wanting to seek some company in the empty apartment, Hyukjae stumbled towards the dogs and laid on the ground beside them, on his stomach. Kkomelo paid him no attention as he reached out to pat their heads.

 

“Do you guys miss Jongwoon hyung too? How do you not miss him when he’s away?”

 

He only got chewing noises in reply.

 

Hyukjae sighed. “I haven’t seen him in so long… I miss going out on dates with him. Ah… I wonder if hyung misses me too. I bet he does. But he has so many dongsaengs around him now… does he know that I’m jealous? Should I act like I’m angry and get him to coddle me for it when he's back? Hmm…”

 

The younger turned his gaze to the ring on his pinkie finger, the one that Jongwoon made and gave to Super Junior. Hyukjae found himself smiling giddily at the fact that the inscription on the inside of his ring was different from other members’.

 

Love you, cutie Hyukjae.

 

Hyukjae felt his cheeks turning hotter and his smile becoming wider at the mere thought of his hyung looking at him fondly and calling him ‘cute’. Ahhh!!! This is so bad for his manliness!!

 

“Kkoming ah… Melo ah… how do you guys go about with your lives so easily when you have Jongwoon as your owner? If I got to sleep in his arms every night and have him bring me out on walks every day, I will be the happiest puppy in the world! Do you know how lucky you are?!”

 

“He spoils you guys so much too… not like he doesn’t spoil me enough… but that’s different! You guys are like his sugar babies! You don’t even have to to get his attention sometimes…”

 

"I miss him so much... I want to call him but I don't want to disturb him. Why can't he call me more? Stupid hyung. He better not be having too much fun without me!!! I'll feel left out. Hyung's voice in the new album sounds so good though... and he said he made the album thinking of me!! Ah, I'm embarrassed..."

 

Seeing how the puppies absolutely did not give a about his monologue, Hyukjae whined and rolled onto his back, ready to stare into the space in boredom for the next ten minutes or so.

 

However, there was a familiar shrill of ringtone from his phone suddenly that shook him out of his reverie. Hyukjae looked at the screen and beamed in excitement.

 

“Hyung!”

 

“Hyukjae-ya.” Hyukjae found his heart skipping a beat at his hyung’s husky voice saying his name.

 

“Hyunggg! What are you doing right now? Why did you call?”

 

“I’m thinking of you, Dongba-ya. I miss you.”

 

Hyukjae thanked god that Kkomelo were not able to tattle-tale to someone else the fact that he was smiling like a school girl right now just from a few words from his boyfriend. He had a reputation to maintain, okay.

 

“Of course you miss me. I’m the best boyfriend in the world!”

 

“Mhmm, yes. You’re the best. What have you been doing? Have you eaten? Have you started on your work? Yah, you better not leave all the work to Donghae.”

 

Hyukjae went on to complain about how Jongwoon seemed to care about his precious Donghae more than his actual lovely boyfriend since last night, to which Jongwoon could only laugh at how much of an attention-seeking brat he can be. They ended the call after a few minutes when Jongwoon got called back for the next part of filming.

 

Feeling visibly happier and lighter, Hyukjae got up from the floor and was about to make his way to their study room to get some work done, when his phone beeped with a message notification.

 

I love you, Dongba! Bought you some ramen packs that I think you’ll like. Oh, I’m going to shop for some clothes later too. Tell me what you want, okay? Let me spoil you a little. I miss you a lot! Always thinking of you. 

 

And if Donghae were to ask where did he get all his sudden energy from to stop procrastinating with his work, he is not going to admit that he spent the rest of the afternoon giggling to himself at a simple message from his hyung.