end

-gater
Please log in to read the full chapter

it all started with the choreography of their new song.

 

seungwan thought nothing of the gesture. she simply brushed it off as an unintentional placement of the hands but when it happens every single time they perform the song, seungwan knew it was more than a mere mistake. when her members guested on a show that their leader was the fixed mc, apparently the news of joohyun’s peculiar habit touching others’ was raised by the other senior mcs.

 

sooyoung and seulgi’s appearance on the episode only added heat to the news by mentioning that her was irene’s favourite to hit. the leader even told the very reason why seungwan’s was her favourite out of all. 

 

“it’s….. soft? i just like the feeling of hers and her reactions are the best too,” irene commented, a little too casually like it’s a question someone asks on any other day.

 

seungwan never had the chance to confront joohyun on the matter but when she heard she was going to guest on the show for another episode, she took the opportunity presented. joohyun was aware of the script and her appearance but made no comment on the matter.

 

“guess i’ll just have to see what she says for herself then.” 

 

she came in on the staff’s cue, smiling as she waved to the audiences. she sang as the music played in the background, her eyes catching a glimpse of her leader in the front row, swaying to her singing with a proud look on her face. joohyun always gives attention to her singing. from trainee days until now, even after years debuting, their leader never fails to provide seungwan a sense of confidence in her capabilities.


the show went on a short break while the staff rearranged the stage. seungwan headed towards joohyun and the latter stood up to meet her halfway. “you sang beautifully, seungwan. i told you that you don’t have anything to worry about,” joohyun complimented.

 

“it’s just the nerves, unnie,” seungwan replied sheepishly. “you know how i feel about these performances. i know we’re idols and singing in front of everyone is in our job description but i don’t want the nerves to ruin what i’ve spent on practising until it’s no less than perfect.” 

 

joohyun reached out to fix her hair. “that’s why i’m telling you, you did amazing.” her round doe eyes met hers and seungwan felt the stare crawling deep into her soul. her petite hands massaged seungwan’s arms–offering comfort as a leader, her member and importantly, someone she can rely on. her lips tugged up into a grin. “thank you, unnie. i appreciate it.”

 

a staff member approached them, signalling the end of the break. both of them sat in their assigned seats, facing each other. it felt strange, given that they always sat next to each other since they’re a group but it didn’t bother seungwan much. the leader was seated in her line of sight–not too near so it doesn’t seem obvious that she’s looking but also not too far that she needs to turn her head.

 

joohyun gave seungwan a smile of her own–one seungwan knew is reserved for hers–before the camera started rolling for the next segment. seungwan briefly introduced herself before the host immediately jumped right onto the topic discussed a few episodes ago: her leader’s -touching habits. 

 

“wendy-ssi, which out of the two is the truth of irene's -touching habit: was it done out of love or the power a senior possesses for her junior?” 

 

the audience laughed at the issue mentioned. seungwan wouldn’t really call it one but of course she had to play along with the script. the mc lets joohyun have a say in the matter first. joohyun gazed into her eyes as she calmly defended herself against her so-called habit. “i just think it’s very cute and it’s only a light pat.”

 

the way joohyun’s eyes stared directly into hers gave seungwan a sudden surge of confidence in which her reply got the audience–even the perpetrator–to burst out laughing.

 

“a light pat you say?”

 

it pleased her to see joohyun enjoying herself on the show, no traces of awkwardness were seen unlike the previous episodes when she was alone. the other hosts rode along with the comment she made. “of course the victim and the accused would feel differently about the situation. the accounts from each side will be different.”

Please log in to read the full chapter