1-Start

Not What I expected

Kun was only a guest, a plus one so to speak, because Sicheng can’t accompany his boyfriend to attend a wedding at Neo City. Sicheng is Kun’s cousin and the said boyfriend is none other than his frienemy Ten.

 

“Do they even know you’ve invited me?” Kun asked Ten as they drove the highway to Neo City.

 

“Yeah, Taeyong hyung understood that Sicheng has to prioritize his work in Beiping but he said I could invite a friend over since the seat has been budgeted into the food.” Ten explained.

 

“Well that is true, but don’t you have friends in Neo City that you can invite?” Kun asked.

 

“Yeah, but obviously they are already invited by Taeyong hyung.” Ten answered. “You’ll enjoy the food, maybe pick up a few dishes from Taeyong hyung, he’s a chef for a reason.” Ten added and it made Kun sigh.

 

“Well I surely would appreciate the food.” Kun’s reply came and sped up down the highway.

 

They arrived in Neo City in record time, Ten gaping as he did not know his best friend could do speed racing and drifting.

 

“You severely underestimate me Ten.” Kun chuckled as he backed into a garage of a large house. “you lived here?” Kun asked and Ten nodded.

 

“Jung family estate. Our clan is a big deal here.” Ten replied like it was a common knowledge but Kun gasped at how large the estate is. “Old money.” Ten added with a grin. “It is impressive I know, but it’s not like the Zhangs aren’t old money.” He teased his friend, because fact of the matter is, Weishen is known for the rich clans whose ancestries were believed to be from gods.

 

Ten led Kun inside and it was an Auntie who greeted Ten and Kun. Ten introduced Kun, his best friend and boyfriend’s cousin. It did not take long before Taeyong made an appearance, hugging his cousin tightly and spinning him around like he was a doll. Kun smiled at them, it was in fact endearing since Ten rarely goes back home ever since him and Sicheng got together and found permanent work in Weishen.

 

“You must be Kun!” Taeyong greeted and extended a hand.

 

“Yes. It’s nice to meet you Taeyong-ssi.” Kun greeted back formally and Taeyong scrunched his nose at that.

 

“Just Taeyong hyung.” Taeyong corrected Kun then called out his fiance.  “Yuta Come here! Ten arrived!” Taeyong said and in a few moments, Yuta walked towards them, enveloping Ten in a hug before smilign and extending a hand towards Kun.

 

“I’m Yuta, call me hyung cause I am not that old.” Yuta winked at Kun and it made Kun chuckle.

 

“I’m Kun.” He replied.

 

“Cutie, where did you find him Ten?” Yuta asked and Ten once again explained their relationship. “Oh, no wonder you’re a cutie, Sicheng is such a cutie too! Must run in the family.” Yuta remarked.

 

“You must be tired, auntie Hera should lead you to your rooms.” Taeyong suggested.

 

“Like I didn’t live here, I know my way hyung.” Ten dismissed him.

 

“We separated Kun’s room though. We figured since he is not your boyfriend, he would want a different room.” Taeyong explained.

 

“Oh thank you!” Kun replied with a wide smile and Ten narrowed his eyes at his friend. “Remember when we had to share a room before?” Kun asked and Ten laughed at that. “This is the best option.” Kun added and Ten sighed.

 

“Yeah, that was a disaster.” Ten replied.

 

“Auntie Hera will lead you to the guest house. You’ll be sharing them with a few people but you all have your own rooms.” Taeyong explained and the helper bowed at Kun to lead him towards the guest house.

 

Once Kun was out of the main house, Taeyong turned to Ten with a glare.

 

“A Human, a defenseless human?” Taeyong asked his cousin.

 

“He’s a good person, and he can defend himself.” Ten countered.

 

‘Still, how can you send a human into the pack of wolves?” Taeyong was not having it.

 

“You liked Sicheng, he’s human too!” Ten argued.

 

“Sicheng has Mage blood Ten, Kun is so innocent he could be devoured by anyone if we are not careful.” Yuta interjected.

 

“Why did Sicheng agree? He knew his cousin can take care of himself. It’s not like Kun is a prey or something.” Ten said back.

 

Taeyong sighed and rubbed his temple. “There has been reports of rogue activities and the nearer the mating date, the more that they are making their presence known. If I knew you’d bring an innocent human, I would’ve stopped you.” Taeyong sighed. “Stick to him at all times.” Taeyong instructed.

 

“You made him stay in the guest house.” Ten informed him.

 

“It’s for his safety.” Yuta was the one to answer him. “The main house is sheltering the elders, you know how they are. Taeil hyung and Doyoung are staying in the guest house, our omegas can at least protect him and for measure, their alphas are on the other guest house.” Yuta added.

 

“Jaehyun willingly agreed to be separated with Doyoung?” Ten asked and Taeyong shook his head.

 

“Had to bribe him. Jungwoo was easier to persuade. And Johnny’s with them too, we can’t be too sure.” Taeyong said.

 

“oh, he’s not mated yet?” Ten asked and Taeyong shook his head.

 

“Nah, he’s not interested.” Taeyong replied.

 

“Is it because I broke off the engagement?” Ten asked and Yuta shook his head.

 

“Nope, he’s sees you as his brother, he was willing to go through the engagement to protect you, or else you might be mated to someone else of your parents’ choosing.” Yuta answered.

 

“Speaking of the devil.” Taeyong hissed as they saw a grinning giant walked towards them.

 

 

“Hey Ten!” Johnny greeted and gave him a hug.

 

“You’re still not mated hyung?” Ten inquired and Johnny nodded.

 

“Listen Ten, it’s not you okay? You are like a brother to me, not my mate material.” Johnny assured him for the nth time.

 

“But are you looking?” Ten asked and Johnny shook his head.

 

“It’ll come don’t worry about it.” Johnny shrugged. ‘So where is the human?” Johnny asked and Ten frowned at him.

 

“kun is a good person, don’t call him human.” Ten informed him of his discomfort.

 

“You know me Ten, I won’t do that to your friend.” Johnny assured him and dragged his friend out of the main house to meet Kun.

 

 

Kun was not sure about the guest house but two pretty males greeted him inside.

 

“I’m Taeil, you can call me hyung.” Taeil extended a hand.

 

“and I am Doyoung, Same age as Ten, so no formalities.” Doyoung offered a hand as well.

 

“I’m Kun.” Kun firmly shook their hands.

 

“Oh you have dimples!” Doyoung exclaimed. “My boyfriend has one too!” Doyoung was happy to share.

 

“Really?” Kun chuckled.

 

“To your room first, you need to unpack.” Taeil pulled him up the stairs to the bedrooms.

 

They climbed up the stairs and Taeil led him to the last room at the end of the hall. It was roomy, kind of like a hotel room and Kun liked it. He found his suitcase by the foot of the bed and was pleased with how the day is unfolding.

 

“So you’re Sicheng’s cousin?” Doyoung asked and Kun nodded.

 

“paternal cousins.” Kun answered.

 

“So how is Weishen? We’re curious.” Taeil asked.

 

“uhm, traditional? I guess we are that. Scenery is beautiful though, we have this beautiful beach, you should go sometimes.” Kun invited them and the two smiled and nodded.

 

Kun started unpacking and both Taeil and Doyoung entertained him with chitchat. There was a knock on the door and Ten entered with Johnny.

 

“Kun, meet Johnny, my childhood friend.” Ten introduced the two and Johnny extended a hand to which Kun shook as he smiled at the tall man.

 

 Johnny scrunched his nose and frowned a bit before he smiled at Kun. “Did someone spray perfume here?” Johnny asked and they all shook their heads.

 

“oh, must be my perfume, got spilled a bit in my bag.” Kun shared and Johnny nodded.

 

“Sorry, just sensitive to strong smells.” Johnny offered as an explanation.

 

“I understand.” Kun replied.

 

----

 

Johnny wasn’t sure if it was the smell of perfume because it was distinct, it was the scent of sunset, Tangerine and sea breeze. It’s not an artificial smell. He was confused and intrigued at the situation that he did not hear the knock on the door.

 

“Hey, we are requested for dinner.” Jaehyun entered and Johnny nodded. “Are you pacing out hyung?” Jaehyun asked and Johnny nodded.

 

“Just thinking. Meet you outside.” Johnny said and Jaehyun nodded and left him.

 

Johnny made a quick change of clothes, appropriate for dinner, and went out to meet Jaehyun and Jungwoo. Since Ten brought in a human companion, they were tasked to protect him at all cost. Not a problem for Johnny as it is innate in him to be protective as an alpha. The three alphas went out and knocked on the adjacent guest house, informing them that they needed to go for dinner. Taeil went out first and instantly, Jungwoo was all over him. Doyoung followed, dragging Kun with him to meet Jaehyun.

 

“See, you both have dimples! Cute right?” Doyoung remarked and Jaehyun nodded.

 

“He really likes dimples!” Jaehyun informed Kun who laughed at them.

 

“You are a cute couple!” Kun remarked.

 

“and we’re not?” Kun turned to see a slightly taller man hugging Taeil who was pouting.

 

“Excuse my boyfriend, Kun, this is Jungwoo.” Taeil introduced him and Jungwoo gladly shook his hands.

 

“Are you single Kun Hyung?” Jungwoo asked and Kun blinked at him while Taeil slapped him in the arm for such insensitivity.

 

“oh, yeah I am single. My dad is kind of strict?” Kun was not sure how to put it. “uhm protective I guess, traditional thinking.” Kun expounded.

 

“Oh, well each to their own,” Jungwoo shrugged his shoulders.

 

“Let’s go, Uncle Yunho would skin us if we are late.” Johnny reminded them and they all walked towards the main house, with Kun in between Doyoung and Jaehyun.

 

The main house was buzzing and Ten eagerly pulled him to sit next to him, with Doyoung sitting on his other side. It was still a good five days before  the wedding and to thank everyone in attendance, a dinner was prepared for them. Yuta, Taeyong’s childhood sweetheart,  thanked his future father-in-law and his parents gave Taeyong their gift; Yunho also gave Yuta a gift for his wedding.

 

“Is this typical for a wedding here in Neo City to have such large dinners?” Kun asked and Ten shook his head.

 

“Uncle Yunho just throws parties for the heck of it. It’s been a while since the family last gathered so he went all out.” Ten explained.

 

“How is your wedding in Weishen.” Doyoung asked, curious about a different tradition.

 

“We do tea ceremonies.” Kun answered him.

 

“I want to do that when I marry Sicheng.” Ten was all giddy.

 

“You sure you want him as your cousin-in-law?” Doyoung asked and Ten almost threw his knife at Doyoung lest the hand that stopped him and a glare from Johnny who was sitting next to him.

 

“Don’t scare Kun.” Johnny whispered and Ten chuckled then glared at Doyoung who just raised an eye brow.

 

“You sure you want him as your cousin-in-law?” Jaehyun asked and Kun looked at him confused. “Taeyong’s my brother.” Jaehyun explained and Kun blinked at him and then laughed.

 

“We are stuck in the same boat then.” He raised a hand and Doyoung laughed then hi-fived him.

 

“and I considered the two of you as my best friend.” Ten glared at them.

 

---

 

There was an emergency meeting at the main house and Taeyong was not happy about it. Johnny tried to console him but it is something they have to take seriously.

 

“It is a demand letter, they want Yuta.” Yunho explained and Taeyong rolled his eyes.

 

“They’ll never get him.” Taeyong would not let his omega go.

 

“We won’t let it happen.” Johnny assured him, of course his long time friend will never let him down.

 

“Should anything happen, prioritize Kun.” Yunho said and both Taeyong and Johnny looked at him. “Of course I know the minute he stepped in, he is human.” Yunho smirked.

 

“yeah about that.” Taeyong scratched the back of his head.

 

“He’s here already, the least we could do is to ensure his safety, Johnny, you are to be with him at all times.” Yunho instructed and Johnny nodded.

 

---

 

There was some time so Ten invited Kun to spend the day at the beach and since it is a rare off chance that the group can bond, the rest of them tagged along. Ten had dragged Kun inside Johnny’s jeep and pushed him towards the back seat which was weird, he could have driven himself with his car.

 

“You’re not familiar with the roads here, and let’s save on gas.” Ten said and Kun shook his head as he settled at the back seat.

 

Johnny suddenly sneezed and rubbed his nose. “You okay hyung” Ten asked and Johnny nodded.

 

“yeah, smelled something strong, did you wear a perfume?” Johnny asked and both Kun and Ten shook their heads. Johnny knew Ten’s scent so it couldn’t be him. He narrowed his eyes as he looked at the rear view mirror, something is really odd. “Must be the dust.” Johnny shrugged then started the engine.

 

The drive was peaceful and Kun took out his phone to take some photos here and there. The beach came into view and Kun smiled so wide in excitement, he had strong affinity to beaches, and their sunsets. Johnny parked in the designated area and helped to carry the stuff for them to lounge on. Ten had practically dragged Kun towards the sea which made Johnny chuckle, Ten is still as playful to his friends as he was. Despite the fact that they were to have fun, the alphas of the friend group knew they needed to be alert, an attack could happen anytime and they are not taking any risk; the first priority would be Kun as he is the most vulnerable. The omegas can defend themselves at least.

 

Ten was slathering Kun in sunscreen when Johnny arrived in the area to set up the umbrellas and towels.

 

“You’re too fair, you’re gonna burn the easiest!” Ten huffed as he made sure that Kun was completely covered with the sunscreen.

 

“I am not a child Ten.” Kun huffed.

 

“I don’t want to hear any complaints Kun, uncle Yixing is scary! And if I return you sun burnt, I would be tied to a stake and burned alive.” Ten explained

 

“Bab is not barbaric!” Kun countered his friend.

 

After setting up the umbrellas and towels, Johnny took off his shirt and Kun choked on his own spit, Johnny smirked, he knew he was ripped and he was not afraid to show it off.

 

“Show off!” Ten threw him a bottle of sunscreen.

 

“Don’t need it.” Johnny shrugged, took his surfboard and made a dash towards the water where their other friends were already playing.

 

“not taking off your shirt?” Ten asked and Kun nodded.

 

“You do know I am insecure with my scar.” Kun said and Ten nodded.

 

“Of course, I won’t pressure you. There are too many bodies in here anyway.” Ten remarked, laughing as Kun pushed him lightly. “Johnny hyung’s  a good guy Kun. I won’t put it against you if you fall for him.” Ten sighed.

 

“I don’t think that would happen.” Kun assured him.

 

“And why not?” Ten asked curiously.

 

“He seemed to be a little on edge with me.” Kun shared.

 

“He’s wary, as one of the eldest in our group, he’s innately protective of everyone.” Ten shared. “he’ll warm up to you and you’ll see he’s quite charming.” Ten said then stood up and pulled Kun with him  and the older of the two just laughed as he followed Ten.

 

One thing that the pack learned about Kun was that he was a determined person who easily  learns anything. Though his house was far away from the beach and he goes occasionally for summer, unlike Ten who had lived most of his life near a coastline, Kun had learned surfing at record speed.

 

“You are a monster!” Taeil remarked. “How did you even learn that fast?” Taeil asked and Kun shrugged his shoulders.

 

“I’ve always been a fast learner; I even skipped grades due to this.” Kun shared and Taeil was impressed.

 

“So do you have hobbies?” Jaehyun asked as they took a break surfing and just sitting on their boards floating by the shoreline.

 

“Yeah, sky diving and flying.” Kun shared.

 

“Sky diving?” Johnny repeated and Kun nodded.


”I have a skydiving license. If anyone of you wants to try it, I can join you.” Kun beamed a proud smile.”

”He is a licensed pilot too. IF Uncle Yixing isn’t so strict he’ll be a commercial pilot by now.” Ten shared and everyone was at awe with Kun.

 

“Are you really human because damn, you are a monster for doing that.” Jungwoo remarked and it made Kun chuckle.

 

“Yeah perfectly human.” Kun assured him.

 

 The day was going good and they had some late lunch before starting a fire to roast some seafood for dinner. The sunset was beautiful and so Kun took the opportunity to take pictures of it.

 

“Kun, let Johnny hyung take your picture, he’s good with photographs!” Ten bellowed and Johnny glared at him. “Take it, he likes the sunset so it would be a waste if he doesn’t have photos with it.” Ten nudged Johnny who sighed, got up from his beach towel and ran to get Kun’s camera.

 

“I’ll take it, just pose as you would like.” Johnny informed Kun who smiled and thanked him.

 

Johnny adjusted the settings to his liking and informed Kun that he was ready. Kun posed with wide smiles and  Johnny for some unexplainable reason, was drawn to take more photos than needed.

 

“Ten, Join me!” Kun shouted and Ten snorted but he did run towards Kun, and Johnny was ready to take the candid photos.

 

“Unfair, Let us join too!” Taeyong shouted and the rest of the squad ran and they did group photos.

 

“Set it on timer hyung, join us.” Kun bellowed making Johnny sigh but grabbed a cooler to set up the camera and then ran towards them to get the money shot.

 

They were gathered around a bonfire eating the grilled seafood when Yuta offered raw fish to Kun and the horror in Kun’s face surprised everyone.

 

“Oh, sorry, Kun doesn’t eat raw fish.” Ten quickly said and handed him a glass of water. “it’s nothing to worry about, just some childhood experience Kun encountered.” Ten explained.

 

‘Oh apologies, I didn’t know. Here. Taeyong can you give him the shrimp?” Yuta asked and Taeyong immediately handed Yuta the dish and Yuta smiled at Kun. “Sorry, here, have some shrimp.” Yuta said and Kun thanked him.

 

“Sorry, I should’ve warned you.” Kun replied but Yuta assured him that it was okay.

 

They were having fun sharing stories when the pack became alert and they could hear something from afar. Taeyong immediately looked at Johnny who nodded. Ten, who was seated next to Kun, had an eye-contact with Johnny and the two had an understanding, they need to leave right now.

 

“Kun, I’m sleepy, let’s go first.” Ten suggested.

 

“But it’s rude to just leave.” Kun replied.

 

“Don’t worry, you are our guest, we’ll handle this.” Taeyong assured him.

 

“nah-ah, you two should also go back now, we’ll clean up.” Jaehyun stopped his brother, knowing fully that the target is Yuta.

 

Though it pained both Johnny and Taeyong to leave their pack, they have full confidence with jaehyun leading them. Ten had practically dragged Kun towards their vehicle and Johnny was driving as soon as they were settled.

 

“I feel guilty not helping clean up.” Kun sighed.

 

“Don’t worry about it.” Johnny reassured him once more. “it is getting late and Ten needs his beauty sleep, I don’t want Sicheng doing a flying kick at me once he found out the princess got dark circles for staying up late.” Johnny joked and it made Kun laugh.

 

“You both have such a cringe sense of humor.” Ten gritted out but sharing eye contact with Johnny, they both knew that what they did was the best thing.

 

They returned to the compound and Ten pulled Kun towards his room while Johnny looked for Yunho. The two knew that it was the safest option for now and when Yunho learns of the situation, he won’t mind this. So Ten pushed Kun towards the shower to change while Johnny had entered Yunho’s office to report to him. Yuta and Taeyong entered the office not long after and Yunho rubbed his temple as he felt the impending headache forming.

 

“Is Kun okay?” Yunho asked and they all nodded. “Good, keep it in a down low, I’ll talk to Jaehyun when he returns.” Yunho instructed and they all dismissed themselves.

 

There was no altercation and Jaehyun had reported that there was just a stand off and the rouges left them when they found out Yuta wasn’t with them. It was good that Yuta and Taeyong left already so there were no fights that broke out. But they had to be extra careful and that they stick to their territory for now. Kun was perfectly oblivious to the tension and the pack made sure that it stayed that way, there were only a few days till the mating, they don’t need to raise unnecessary panic.

 

---

A/n: Cutting it here for now. There is like 1 more chapter depending on how I am able to write it