fin

Möbius
Please log in to read the full chapter

Dahyun finally realized that life is not as beautiful as Korean drama. The main characters won't live happily ever after. It's just fiction. In the real world, disputes and fights will always occur in a relationship. Those things might even end a relationship, like what happened to Dahyun and Nayeon's relationship.

At that time, Dahyun had just returned to her apartment. She intended to go straight to her bed because she was so tired. However, her phone suddenly rang. At first, Dahyun didn't want to pick up the call, but the name on her phone screen made her reluctant to reject the call.

"Hi, babe. How was your day?” Dahyun heard Nayeon's voice. It instantly made her smile.

"I'm so tired right now. I just finished my final assignment from cryptography class," Dahyun answered while closing her eyes. She hoped she wouldn't fall asleep in the middle of their conversation. "Are you walking to your class now?"

“Oh, yeah. This is my first class for today," Nayeon answered. Dahyun could hear rustling as Nayeon walked towards her class. “I just started my day and you are about to end yours. Kinda sad, isn't it?"

Dahyun understood why Nayeon spoke like that. She understood that long distance relationship wasn't easy. At that time, Nayeon was pursuing her master's degree in Massachusetts, while Dahyun was still a third year student. Therefore, they couldn't keep in touch as often as they used to.

"Yeah.." was all Dahyun could say.

"Have you had dinner yet?" Nayeon asked.

"Yeah.." Dahyun was too tired to answer Nayeon. "I'm sorry, Nayeon. I want to sleep now."

Dahyun could hear Nayeon exhaling her breath. She knew Nayeon was disappointed. They hadn't had a long discussion in weeks. Their conversation was just "Have you eaten?" and “Good night.”

"Dahyun, I'm tired." Dahyun didn't expect to hear these words. "This relationship is not going to work."

"What are you talking about?" Dahyun's drowsiness suddenly disappeared. "We can still fight for this relationship.." Dahyun's tears started  rolling down on her cheeks.

“How do we make this relationship work? I have no idea how to do that..” Dahyun could hear Nayeon crying too. Dahyun also didn't know how to make their relationship work. So, she just fell silent.

"I think this is the end for us." Those were Nayeon's last words. Those words haunted Dahyun's mind for years. She wouldn't be able to forget the words that shattered her world.

 

—————————

Dahyun fixed her suit before entering a hall. Her heart was pounding seeing hundreds of people in the room. They were all waiting for her arrival. She could see people starting to whisper the moment she set foot in the room.

“Hi, guys!” Dahyun tried to hide her nervousness. 

Everyone cheered when they heard her voice. They all looked happy to see Dahyun. Some of them started taking pictures of Dahyun. Several others screamed with joy. Who doesn't like to see a famous person in front of their eyes?

“Please calm down. We will start our career talk," Nayeon ordered. Then, Nayeon glanced at Dahyun. Nayeon didn't know that her glances made Dahyun's lingering feelings start to resurface.

"As you all know, today we have a special guest. She is the CEO of a startup engaged in the field of Machine Learning,” Nayeon said while smiling. Dahyun really missed her smile. “She is Kim Dahyun.” Nayeon turned her face to look at Dahyun and their eyes met. Dahyun knew there was tension between them.

“You can speak now,” Nayeon whispered. Dahyun just nodded.

“I am Kim Dahyun, the CEO of Star Kim. Nice to meet you all.” Dahyun tried to smile. Dahyun was still nervous even though this wasn't her first time giving a career talk.

Dahyun started showing the presentation deck she made and gave a career speech to all the students there. At that time, all the student were seniors. They were given the opportunity to gain insight into the career world before plunging into it.

“So, these are the reasons I started the company.” Dahyun explained the history of her company. Dahyun used to hate history, but now she gives 'history' classes instead.

Dahyun didn't realize that Nayeon was looking at her the whole time she was talking. Occasionally, Nayeon chuckled when Dahyun joked in the middle of her career speech. If Dahyun realized this, maybe she would stop talking and ask Nayeon to elope with her right away. Or maybe this is just an overstatement.

"So, any questions?" Dahyun had prepared her answers for every question the students might ask. However, Dahyun never expected to get this question.

"Is 'Love Countdown' really about you, Miss Dahyun?" Someone asked her. Dahyun didn't expect to hear about that song again. Dahyun hadn't heard that song in years. If she heard that song again, her heart would probably break into pieces.

"What?" That was the only response Dahyun could give. She didn't know why these students knew about that song. "Why do you know—"

"You shouldn't ask off-topic questions." Nayeon cut the conversation. "You need to get insights into the career world, not into that rumour."

What rumor? Dahyun thought after hearing Nayeon's words. Dahyun was definitely worried if there were rumors about her. If it was a bad rumor, her reputation as CEO could be ruined.

"I'm so sorry, professor." That person bowed to Dahyun and Nayeon. Then, people started whispering. Dahyun couldn't guess what they were talking about. Therefore, Dahyun glanced at Nayeon as if she asked for an explanation. However, Nayeon just smiled as if it would reassure Dahyun. What the hell was that? Dahyun asked herself.

After that, the other students started asking about Dahyun's company and how Mathematics plays a role in her job. Dahyun answered and explained everything well. All students seemed satisfied with this discussion.

“How was your life in college, Miss Dahyun? Were you one of the top students?" Dahyun didn't expect anyone to ask about her past. Dahyun knew if she revealed her past, the tension between her and Nayeon would increase.

"Back then I wasn't a top student, like your professor." Dahyun glanced at Nayeon. In the end, Dahyun chose to reveal her past. “But, your professor always helped me. She played the biggest role in my college life.” Dahyun smiled at Nayeon. I wish you would still play the biggest role in my life, that's just Dahyun's wishful thinking.

The students cheered for Dahyun and Nayeon as if they knew Dahyun and Nayeon had dated before. Or did they actually know? Dahyun wanted to ask this to Nayeon.

“Okay, that's enough for today. Thank you for coming, Miss Dahyun," Nayeon said, smiling at Dahyun. Miss Dahyun huh? Those two words kept ringing in Dahyun's ears.

"Oh, I almost forgot to give you this." Nayeon took a certificate, then gave it to Dahyun. “This is a certificate given to you by our university because you became our speaker for this event. Thank you, Miss Dahyun.”

It's kinda sad when you call me like that. But, I'm nothing to you anymore, Dahyun thought while accepting the certificate. When their hands touched, Dahyun felt electricity in her hands. Dahyun knew she still had feelings for Nayeon.

"Thank you for inviting me, Miss Nayeon," Dahyun said with a smile. Dahyun missed calling Nayeon 'babe'.

After that, the students left the hall. Only the two of them were left in the room. Dahyun knew she could leave Nayeon alone because her business was done. However, she wanted to be with Nayeon a little longer.

"To be honest, I didn't expect you to come," Nayeon said while tidying up her things.

"I also didn't think you'd invite me.." Dahyun paused. “Unnie.” It had been a long time since the last time Dahyun called Nayeon 'unnie'.

Dahyun thought the last time she called Nayeon 'unnie' was before they were dating. When they were dating, Nayeon said she would rather Dahyun call her by her name or 'babe'. Now, Dahyun wondered if Nayeon would still rather Dahyun call her by her name. Or maybe 'babe'? Oh, that's just Dahyun's wishful thinking.

"Don't you have to go back to work?" Nayeon was surprised to see Dahyun still with her.

"I've cleared my schedule for today," Dahyun replied. “Are you going to give a lecture after this?”

"Yeah, I'll give a lecture on Linear Algebra after this." At that time, Nayeon had finished tidying up her things.

"Can I come to your class?" Nayeon didn't expect to hear this question from Dahyun. "I'd love to see you give a lecture if you don't mind." Dahyun scratched the back of her neck.

Nayeon raised an eyebrow after hearing Dahyun's words. Seeing Nayeon's expression made Dahyun doubt that Nayeon would accept her in her class. "If you won't let me, I'll-"

"OK, come with me." Dahyun was surprised to hear that answer. Therefore, Dahyun wanted to make sure by asking one more time. But before Dahyun could ask, Nayeon had already walked away from her

Dahyun eventually could catch up with Nayeon. At that time, they finally walked side by side. As they walked together, Dahyun could see all eyes on them. Dahyun wondered why everyone seemed interested in them.

"Just ignore these kids," Nayeon said as if she could read Dahyun's mind. Then, Dahyun suddenly remembered the question she wanted to ask.

“Oh, I wanna ask something. Why do your students know about that song?” Dahyun asked while looking at Nayeon.

Nayeon sighed as if she didn't want to answer that question. However, Dahyun still wanted an answer. So, she waited for Nayeon to speak.

“That song is still popular today. At every campus event, someone always performs that song.” Nayeon finally explained. “But, I don't know why they know that it's a song from me to you. Or technically, it's a song from me and Tzuyu to you and Chaeyoung," Nayeon continued.

"Oh, I see." Dahyun finally understood. Somehow Dahyun found it very funny. So, she laughed.

"Why are you suddenly laughing?" Nayeon also laughed because of Dahyun.

"I don't know either. I just found it funny.” Dahyun was still laughing. Maybe Dahyun was lauging because of their naive love.

"Oh, we've arrived," Nayeon said when they arrived in front of a classroom. Dahyun recognized that classroom. It was the place where their story began.

Dahyun still remembers all of that clearly. She still remembers a moment when Nayeon suddenly asked her to be her partner for an assignment. Dahyun wanted to refuse because she didn't like dealing with popular people. However, she was too scared to turn down a senior.

"Dahyun?" Nayeon waved her hand in front of Dahyun's face.

“Oh, I'm sorry, unnie.” Dahyun finally came back to their reality. A reality where they were no longer lovers.

"Let's go. I have to start giving a lecture now," Nayeon said. Then, she walked into the classroom. Dahyun followed her from behind.

"I'll sit in the back, unnie," Dahyun said before they parted ways. Then, Dahyun chose to be in the farthest seat.

"Good afternoon all. Before I start giving a lecture, I would like to ask you to ignore that person.” Nayeon pointed at Dahyun. Then, all eyes were on Dahyun. Dahyun just waved her hand. "Pretend that person doesn't exist." Dahyun chuckled hearing that.

After that, Nayeon started giving a lecture on Linear Algebra and Dahyun watched her closely. When Nayeon started writing on the blackboard, Dahyun was suddenly hit by nostalgia. It had been years since the last time Dahyun saw the Greek letters used in Mathematics. Dahyun never thought she would miss the letters that used to make her cry.

"So, any questions?" Nayeon asked after proving a theorem.

Dahyun saw several students raise their hands. Then, Nayeon allowed the students to ask their questions. This reminds me of our old study group, Dahyun thought with a chuckle.

"Any other questions?" Nayeon after answering all the questions.

"I want to ask you something." Everyone, including Nayeon, was shocked when they heard that voice. Yes, it was Dahyun's voice.

"What do you want to ask?" Even though Dahyun wasn't an official student, Nayeon still considered her as a valid audience. So, Nayeon thought maybe Dahyun wanted to correct her mistake in proving a theorem.

"Would you like to have dinner with me tonight?" All the students squealed with joy when they heard that. Nayeon felt like she wanted to throw a book at Dahyun. Or maybe throw a kiss at Dahyun?

"Come on, answer that, professor~" A student teased Nayeon.

"You can answer all questions, except this one, professor?" Another student also teased Nayeon. They were lucky because Nayeon was the chillest lecturer in their department. If they treated other lecturers like this, they would receive a huge punishment.

Nayeon sighed and rolled her eyes before finally answering, "Let's have dinner together, shall we?" Then, Nayeon glanced at Dahyun with a smile.

All the students cheered for them as if their ship had sailed. Dahyun and Nayeon could only lower their heads to hide their blushing faces. But deep down, Dahyun thanked these students. They're the crews of our ship, aren't they? Dahyun thought.

 

—————————

Dahyun took Nayeon for dinner at a restaurant that provides Korean BBQ. Dahyun still remembers that Nayeon really likes to eat Korean BBQ. Therefore, she chose that place.

"Choose whatever you want. I'll treat you," Dahyun said, smiling at Nayeon.

"Thanks, Dahyun. It still feels surreal to see you as a CEO.” Nayeon chuckled. Then, Nayeon spoke to a waiter to order their foods.

"Then, can I be your sugar mommy?" Dahyun suddenly cracked a joke. Two pairs of eyes instantly fixed on Dahyun. Nayeon looked at Dahyun sharply, while the waiter looked at Dahyun awkwardly.

"What the hell was that?" Nayeon hit Dahyun's arm. Then, she laughed. The waiter also laughed when he realized that Dahyun was just kidding.

Is it really just a joke to me? Dahyun wondered. But after that, Dahyun chose to snap herself out of her thought. "Sorry, I'm just kidding." Dahyun laughed while wiping her fake tears.

"I don't mind to be your sugar baby tho." Those words almost made Dahyun spit out her water and the waiter drop his pen. "Just kidding." Nayeon smiled innocently.

Please don't play with my heart, Dahyun hoped that Nayeon would stop continuing this joke. If Nayeon didn't stop, Dahyun would become her sugar mommy for real.

"Is there anything else you'd like to order?" the waiter asked awkwardly. Actually, he wanted to get away from them as soon as possible. He realized that he would become a third wheel if he stayed there. Oh no, it's getting awkward for me to be here. I need to go now, the waiter thought.

“I guess that's all I want to order. Would you like to order something else?” Nayeon asked Dahyun. Then, Dahyun just shook her head. Finally, the waiter could breathe a sigh of relief.

“I will bring your orders soon” the waiter said before leaving them.

Nayeon was the first to break the silence after the waiter left. Nayeon started asking about how Dahyun's life was after they decided not to keep in touch anymore. Dahyun didn't want to lie about how difficult it was for her to face reality after they broke up. So, she told everything.

“I cried for weeks because we broke up. I also didn't attend any classes for weeks. Chaeyoung had to force me out of my apartment," Dahyun told Nayeon. Then, Dahyun saw Nayeon lowering her head. Dahyun thought maybe Nayeon felt guilty because of that. “But, it's okay now. Honestly, I also didn't think that relationship would work out." Dahyun tried to smile.

"Dahyun, I want—"

"How about we talk about something else?" Dahyun cut Nayeon off. She didn't want to increase the tension between them. "Hey, did you know Tzuyu and Chaeyoung will get married next week?" Dahyun changed the topic of their conversation.

“Oh yeah, I know. Tzuyu invited me to their wedding." Nayeon's answer made Dahyun's eyes widen. She didn't expect Tzuyu to invite Nayeon. Tzuyu is still in touch with Nayeon?! That was the first question that popped into Dahyun's mind.

"I'm still in touch with Tzuyu in case you were wondering." Nayeon could read Dahyun's mind.

"Woah, she never said anything to me," Dahyun said, shaking her head.

"Where do you think I got your number? Tzuyu was the one who gave it to me." Nayeon chuckled. Finally, everything made sense to Dahyun.

“Ah, I thought you hired the FBI to get my number,” Dahyun joked. Then, she saw Nayeon laughing. I miss your laugh, you know? Dahyun thought while smiling at Nayeon.

"Yeah, I thought that way too." Nayeon was still laughing while wiping her fake tears.

"Oh by the way, will you come to their wedding?" Dahyun asked. Dahyun knew that not everyone could attend Tzuyu and Chaeyoung's wedding because the wedding would be held in Tzuyu's hometown in Taiwan.

"Yeah, I will come. How about you?" Dahyun was very happy to hear that answer.

“I will come too. When is your flight? My flight is on Saturday at 12 PM.” Dahyun was scrolling on her phone to see her flight schedule. Then, she glanced at Nayeon.

"Oh, me too!" Nayeon exclaimed.

“Then, do you wanna go to the airport with me? I'll pick you up, unnie." Dahyun looked so excited. She couldn't hold back her smile.

"If you don't mind... I'll go with you." Nayeon smiled widely. Dahyun didn't know how excited Nayeon was when Dahyun proposed that idea. Nayeon hid her feelings well.

After that, they changed their subject and started talking about their jobs. Dahyun always had a hunch that Nayeon would become a professor. Nayeon really likes to study, especially Pure Mathematics. Therefore, Dahyun wasn't surprised when she saw Nayeon becoming a professor.

On the other hand, Dahyun really likes Applied Mathematics. While she was in college, she always took Applied Mathematics courses. Therefore, Nayeon was also not surprised when she saw Dahyun starting a company engaged in the field of Machine Learning.

“Since I became a CEO, I haven't done any programming. I'm just doing business, business, and business.” Dahyun complained to Nayeon. “Honestly, I miss doing programming,” Dahyun continued.

“You talk like that as if you don't like being a CEO. Didn't you offer yourself to be my sugar mommy because you're a CEO?” Nayeon teased Dahyun. Dahyun could only bite her own tongue. , why did I offer myself to be her sugar mommy? Dahyun cursed herself.

“Ahem!” That voice suddenly distracted Dahyun and Nayeon. Then, they found the waiter carrying a tray in his hands. On that tray, there were various types of meat that Nayeon ordered. “Here are your orders,” the waiter said, then he placed all the meats on their table.

“Thank you very much,” Dahyun said.

“Enjoy your meal!” the waiter said. Dahyun thought the waiter would immediately leave them after saying that. However, the waiter suddenly spoke again. "Hope you will finally resolve the 'sugar mommy' thing." He winked at them before leaving.

Dahyun choked on her own spit and Nayeon burst out laughing. No one thought that the waiter would bring up the 'sugar mommy' thing again. Dahyun eventually regretted making that joke.

"That's why you shouldn't joke around like that." Nayeon was still laughing.

"Yeah, I know." Dahyun looked down. She felt so ashamed because of that joke. I won't say 'sugar mommy' again for the rest of my life, Dahyun promised herself.

"Let's eat. I'm so hungry now," Nayeon said, then she took a tong and started to cook their meats.

Since there was only one tong, Dahyun let Nayeon cook their meats. While Nayeon was cooking, they started talking again. This time they talked about their old friends.

"Are you still in touch with Jeongyeon unnie?" Dahyun asked. Dahyun hadn't heard from Jeongyeon in a long time. The last time they met, Jeongyeon was still pursuing her master's degree in Japan. After that, she never heard from Jeongyeon again.

“Oh, I'm still in touch with her. She's a banker now," Nayeon answered while placing the cooked meat on Dahyun's plate.

“Is she still in Japan or has she returned here?” Dahyun asked, then she ate the meat that Nayeon just gave her.

"She has returned," Nayeon answered. Then, she put the cooked meat on Dahyun's plate again.

“Oh, I see. Then, what about Jihyo unnie?" Dahyun asked, then she ate the meat that was cooked for her.

"Erm about Jihyo.." Nayeon said while cooking the meat. "She said I shouldn't tell anyone about her job," Nayeon continued. Then, Nayeon put the cooked meat on Dahyun's plate again.

At first, Dahyun didn't realize that she was the only one eating. Nayeon was just cooking the meats for her. However, Dahyun finally realized it when she was full and Nayeon kept giving her the cooked meat.

"Unnie, you haven't eaten anything.." Dahyun immediately took the tong from Nayeon's hand. "Let me cook. You don't have to feed me anymore.”

"Are already you full?" Nayeon chuckled.

“I'm already full because you keep feeding me. Why aren't you eating too?" Dahyun felt guilty because she just realized it.

"Because I love taking care of you." Nayeon smiled widely. Nayeon didn't know that it almost gave Dahyun a heart attack. "But, I also love it when you take care of me." Dahyun almost dropped the tong she was holding because of those words.

Ma'am, please spare my heart, Dahyun hoped that Nayeon would stop giving her the wrong idea. She didn't want to raise any false hopes. She didn't want to be heartbroken again.

“Please eat, eat, eat.” Every time Dahyun said 'eat', she put one piece of cooked meat on Nayeon's plate. “And eat, eat, eat.” Dahyun piled all the cooked meats on Nayeon's plate. Dahyun hoped that Nayeon would stop talking when she started eating.

“Love you~” Nayeon caught Dahyun off guard. Dahyun didn't expect Nayeon to say that.

"What do you mean you love me?" Dahyun's face was already red and her heart was pounding hard.

“What? I didn't say that. I just said 'love you.' Maybe he loves you, she loves you, or God loves you." After saying that, Nayeon stucked out her tongue. She was just messing with Dahyun.

Damn it! Dahyun could only roll her eyes and curse herself. Dahyun knew Nayeon wouldn't say those words so easily.

 

—————————

"Damn, it's raining," Dahyun said while holding out her hands. At that time, they had finished their dinner and were standing in front of the restaurant. Dahyun didn't expect it to rain. So, she didn't bring an umbrella.

"You're not made of sugar, Dahyun," Nayeon said before pulling Dahyun into the middle of the parking lot.

Dahyun didn't resist. She let Nayeon take the lead. She didn't even ask why they just passed her car. She didn't know what was going on inside Nayeon's head, but she didn't mind to follow Nayeon's lead.

“It's so fun.” Nayeon was spinning in the rain. Dahyun was just looking at her and smiling. "Join me," Nayeon said before pulling Dahyun's wrist and spinning with her in the middle of the rain.

“What are we? Kids?" Dahyun chuckled. They were still spinning in the rain.

"My inner child said yes," Nayeon answered while laughing. For a few moments, they were just spinning in the rain and ignoring the people around them.

"I think we should stop," Dahyun said breathlessly after spinning for the nth time. Then, they stopped spinning, but their hands were still holding each other.

"It's fun, right?" Nayeon asked before releasing Dahyun's hand. Then, she ran her hands through her hair. She absentmindedly made Dahyun want her even more. Ma’am please stop doing that or I would bring you to my home, Dahyun thought.

"We have to go home now. It's already late," Dahyun said while looking at her watch. Then, she gave her hand to Nayeon.

“Okay, let's go home. I already had a lot of fun," Nayeon replied with a smile. Then, she took Dahyun's hand and held it tightly.

After that, they walked together to Dahyun's car and got in it. At first, Nayeon was hesitant to get in Dahyun's car because they were soaked. However, Dahyun assured Nayeon that she didn't mind if her car seat got wet.

"Sorry I made your car seat wet," Nayeon said after they sat in the car.

"I told you I don't mind," Dahyun replied before she started her car. Then, she started driving her car to Nayeon's apartement.

During the ride to Nayeon's apartment, they didn't say a single word and were just silent. Only the sound of music accompanied their ride. Maybe it was because they were already tired. However, Dahyun didn't mind that. She was instead enjoying their quiet ride.

"You can pull up there," Nayeon said, pointing to a building not far from them. After that, Dahyun pulled up in front of that building. "Thank you for today," Nayeon said, smiling at Dahyun.

"Thank you for coming with me, unnie," Dahyun replied. She thought this was the end of their friendly date. However, Nayeon suddenly said something that made her heart flutter.

“Come with me. I don't want you to drive while you're soaked to the skin like that," Nayeon asked. Little did she know that those words made Dahyun's brain malfunction.

.

.

.

"Are you done?" Nayeon asked after seeing Dahyun coming out of the bathroom. Dahyun just nodded. Then, Nayeon told Dahyun to sit in front of her. At that time, Nayeon was sitting on the floor.

Dahyun walked towards Nayeon while using a towel to dry her hair. Then, she sat in front of Nayeon as she was told to. When she was in front of Nayeon, her heart couldn't stop beating fast. My heart, please calm down, Dahyun begged her heart.

"Let me help you dry your hair," Nayeon said before taking the towel from Dahyun's hand. Then, she was drying Dahyun's hair using the towel. Dahyun was just staring at her blankly. "You look like a puppy." Nayeon chuckled.

"What?" That was the only response Dahyun could give. Her brain wasn't functioning properly.

“Love you~” Dahyun didn't understand why Nayeon suddenly said those words again. Luckily, Dahyun wasn't fooled the second time.

"Yeah, God loves me," Dahyun said, then she rolled her eyes. But, if He really loves me, can I get the second chance to be with you? Dahyun wondered.

"Maybe this time it's an 'I'?" Nayeon caught her off guard for the second time. But before Dahyun could respond, Nayeon threw the towel at her face and stood up. Then, Nayeon left her to get a hair dryer.

Stop playing with my heart, Dahyun begged. Then, Dahyun covered her face with the towel and silently screamed. Dahyun didn't know that Nayeon was watching her from behind while secretly laughing.

"I'm going to dry your hair using a hair dryer." Nayeon's voice made Dahyun flinch.

“O-oh, yeah s-sure,” Dahyun stuttered.

This time Nayeon was sitting behind Dahyun and drying Dahyun's hair using a hair dryer. When the wind blew Dahyun's hair, Nayeon could smell Dahyun's scent. She missed Dahyun's scent. However, she certainly wouldn't tell Dahyun her feelings.

"It's already past 12. Are you sure you're going home this late?” Nayeon asked while drying Dahyun's hair. After that, Dahyun was frozen in place because all she heard was 'You can stay at my place tonight'.

No, I can't do that. I don't know what will happen if I stay, Dahyun thought. She wasn't sure she would stay sane if she stayed at Nayeon's apartment. Maybe she would pin Nayeon on her bed at some point if she stayed.

"Sorry, but I'll just go home," Dahyun said while looking down.

"Sorry? Why did you say 'sorry'? Did you think I asked you to stay at my place?” Nayeon chuckled. She accurately read Dahyun's mind.

“Ugh, whatever..” Dahyun sighed and threw her hands up in disappointment. After that, Dahyun sealed so she wouldn't say anything embarrassing again. That day she felt so much shame.

"You know I won't do that because I might pin you on my bed at some point." Nayeon said that as if those words meant nothing to Dahyun.

Dahyun instantly wanted to hit her head on the floor so her brain would stop imagining what would happen if she asked Nayeon to marry her right then and there. She is your ex! She is your ex! Dahyun reminded herself.

"Done," Nayeon said after drying Dahyun's hair. Then, she suddenly grabbed Dahyun's arm and led her to the door. Dahyun didn't even have time to give any response. "It's time for you to go home," she said before opening the door and pushing Dahyun out.

"What—" Nayeon closed the door before Dahyun finished her sentence. Dahyun didn't even understand why Nayeon suddenly kicked her out. What the hell? Dahyun wondered what just happened to her.

"Hey, at least say goodbye?" Dahyun said while raising one eyebrow.

Dahyun didn't know that Nayeon was still behind the door. She was leaning against the door while closing her eyes. Not long after that, she slumped into the floor. She then hugged her knees and hid her face between her knees.

"I don't know what to do.." Nayeon muttered.

 

—————————

"Good morning, milady," Dahyun said, smiling at Nayeon. At that time, Dahyun had just opened the door for Nayeon. So, she was standing beside her car. “Just put your luggage there and come in,” Dahyun asked.

"I guess chivalry isn't dead, huh." Nayeon chuckled. Then, she got into Dahyun's car and let Dahyun put her suitcase in the trunk.

"To the airport, right?" Dahyun asked after getting into the car and sitting in the driver's seat. Nayeon just smiled and nodded.

After that, Dahyun started driving her car and Nayeon started playing some songs to accompany their ride. Dahyun didn't know why Nayeon chose to play songs that used to be popular when they were in college. So, the ride felt like a ride to the past.

“We were in the backseat. Drunk on something stronger then drinks in the bar.” Nayeon started singing while looking out the window.

"'I rent a place on Cornelia Street.' I say casually in the car." Dahyun also started singing, while her gaze was still on the road.

"We were a fresh page on the desk, filling in the blanks as we go." Nayeon sang that verse.

“As if the streetlights pointed in an arrowhead, leading us home” This time it was Dahyun who sang that verse.

"And I hope I never lose you. Hope it never ends. I'd never walk Cornelia Street again.” Nayeon and Dahyun sang that verse together. Then, they glanced at each other. When their eyes met, they laughed. No one knows why they laughed. Maybe it was because they tried to hide their true feelings.

After that, they continued to sing throughout the ride and turned Dahyun's car into a mobile karaoke room.

.

.

.

"It's lucky we'll be sitting next to each other, unnie," Dahyun said while looking at the boarding pass she was holding. At that time, they had just finished checking in and were walking towards the waiting room.

"What's wrong if we won't be sitting next to each other?" Nayeon teased Dahyun.

"Y-yeah.. there's nothing wrong with that," Dahyun replied while looking down. Dahyun thought Nayeon didn't feel happy sitting next to her. I'm the only one feeling happy huh, Dahyun was disappointed.

"But, it's better if we sit next to each other," Nayeon said. Then, she suddenly held Dahyun's arm and walked beside her. Nayeon didn't realize how red Dahyun's cheeks were when she did that.

After walking for a few minutes, they finally arrived at the waiting room. Dahyun actually wanted to take Nayeon to the lounge. She was willing to pay for everything. However, Nayeon chose the waiting room over the lounge. She said that the lounge was too far from their departure gate. Besides that, she didn't want to be Dahyun's 'sugar baby'.

"Unnie, whose dinner party are you going to attend?" Dahyun asked Nayeon who was sitting next to her.

Dahyun asked that because there would be two dinner parties that night, one held by the Tzuyu family and the other by the Chaeyoung family. According to Tzuyu's family tradition, whoever is getting married must have a dinner party before the wedding day. However, the bride and groom cannot see each other until the wedding day. Therefore, there are always two dinner parties before the wedding day.

(Basically, Tzuyu and Chaeyoung couldn't attend the same party before the wedding day. Or they would have bad luck according to Tzuyu's family superstition.)

"To be honest.. I haven't thought about that," Nayeon answered. Then, she took out her phone to look at the invations. "At the same time, but in two different places.. How about you, Dahyun?"

"I.. haven't thought about that either." Dahyun scratched the back of her neck. "I'm Tzuyu and Chaeyoung's friend. So, it was very difficult for me to choose," Dahyun continued.

"How about if you attend Chaeyoung's party and I attend Tzuyu's party? You'll attend Chaeyoung's party on your behalf and mine. I'll attend Tzuyu's party on my behalf and yours." Nayeon gave her idea.

“Oh! That's not a bad idea," Dahyun replied.

"It's settled then," Nayeon said. Then, she put her phone back in her purse.

"Hmm.. there is still one more problem," Dahyun said while looking down.

"What's that?" Nayeon raised one eyebrow.

"Eh.. you know.." Dahyun scratched the back of her neck and averted her eyes. Something made her hesitate to speak.

"What is it, Dahyun?" Nayeon rolled her eyes.

Please log in to read the full chapter