Final

Origamis and Dandelions
Please log in to read the full chapter
     

 

***

 

 

 

"Origami turtles represent wisdom and longevity."

 

A voice from behind abruptly speaks, causing the taller girl to shift her gaze away from the origami and toward the speaker. There, she saw a pale girl standing in the door frame, leaning on it, looking directly at the origami that she was holding.

 

"Hm?" the taller girl hums, unsure what to say to the stranger. After noticing the taller girl's puzzled expression, the stranger smiles. Taking small steps she walked closer to her direction.

 

"That origami turtle you're holding," the visitor remarks as she rests on the railing. Her body relaxes as she adds, "It means a protective and long-lasting symbol."

 

"Oh," the taller said.

 

She is astounded that such a simple paper craft can mean so much to others.

 

"Is that so?"

 

The newcomer nods and looks at the taller girl with a smile on her pale face.

 

"I always thought that paper crafts were just crafts done when people were bored," the taller girl said. "I had no idea they meant so much in this way."

 

The visitor chuckles as she adjusts her body to stare at the stars above.

 

The taller girl looks at the newcomer's face, thinking about what has just happened. As far as she remembers, she was just roaming earlier and happened to notice this origami on the table by coincidence when her foot brought her to the rooftop, and then this girl barged in and started a conversation with her.

 

It's as if everything is happening too fast for her to keep up!

 

"Everything has a meaning," replied the newcomer softly.

 

Sadness

 

Despite her bright eyes and soft voice, the taller girl could sense the sadness that surrounded the stranger's words, as well as the pain and defeat that laced every syllable she poured out. Hearing the familiar tone in the stranger's voice, the taller girl returned the origami to the tiny table, focusing her complete attention on the person in front of her.

"You sound sad," the taller girl said.  staring at the newcomer's face, hoping for a response.

 

"I'm not," the latter responded.

 

"But you sound sad," the taller girl pointed out.

 

The stranger turned her gaze from the stars to the girl.

 

"Well, I do sound sad, but I'm not," she answers as she fixes her stance and stands respectfully in front of the taller girl. 

 

The taller girl said nothing and simply stared at the other girl's face.

 

The latter simply smiles because she understands what that look means—pity.

 

"This is my first time seeing you here," the stranger commented, bringing her palm in front of the taller girl's face and motioning for a handshake.

 

"That's because I'm a new face," the taller girl explained as she carefully reached for the other girl's hand.

 

"Really? Then I hope you won't stay here for much longer," The stranger joked, her eyes beaming as she gave the handshake a gentle grip.

 

She didn't quite grasp the stranger's joke at first, but after a second, the taller girl chuckled as she realized what was going on.

 

She's joking, 

 

The taller girl is amazed at how this girl in front of her is so easygoing. She looks and sounds very easy to get along with.

 

"Oh well, Ms.?" she says, straining her words to imply she's asking for the stranger's name.

 

"Winter, Winter Kim," the stranger replies, smiling.

 

"Oh well, Winter," the taller girl scoffs, "I don't want to stay here any longer either, so don't worry about me bothering your origamis here." Hands motioning the origamis on the table, she gave Winter dirty stares, of course in a playful fashion.

 

Winter, the stranger, can't stop giggling, letting go of their handshake to hug her stomach as she busts out laughing. Seemingly liking how this girl in front of her can pick up on her sense of humor.

 

The taller girl on the other side looks at her with a smile on her face. Even though Winter ruined her quiet night earlier (not really!) And she has no idea who she is (earlier!). She can't deny that she prefers staring at this Winter with a cheerful face rather than the gloomy one earlier.

 

It is as if Winter's laugh is contagious; the taller girl gets infected too, and not long after, the taller girl lets out a laugh, which quickly evolves into a fit of laughter.

 

***

 

The laughter faded as two bodies lay exhausted on the cold floor, gazing at the night sky.

 

"That was fun," says Winter as she puffs some air. She was exhausted from laughing too much.

 

"We look stupid, what do you mean fun?" said the taller girl.

 

Winter simply shrugged her shoulders in response. "I'm not sure, but I laughed, so that means I had fun."

 

The taller girl simply shakes her head; even though they've only known each other for a short time, she seems to have picked up on the fact that Winter is a simple girl who appreciates small things and lastly, she's odd. She's also eccentric, so it's not surprising that she finds strange situations entertaining.

 

The taller simply stares at the night sky, clearly mesmerized by its beauty. She was so focused on the stars that she didn't notice the curious eyes staring at her.

 

“You know”

 

Winter breaks the silence that surrounds them.

 

"We've been talking for nearly an hour, but I still don't know what your name is." Winter shifts her position as she lies on her side, staring at the taller girl's face, waiting for her to respond to her question.

 

Winter's comment made her smile. She turned her gaze away from the sky to look at the person lying next to her on the cold, filthy floor. She says, a sly smirk on her face. "I assumed you'd never ask"

 

Winter scoffs and rolls her eyes. "Well, now I'm curious."

 

Winter paused for a brief moment, then a sly grin appeared on her face. She smirks at the girl in front of her.

 

"Or do you prefer to be referred to as Ms. Origami Stealer?"

 

The taller girl let out a scandalous gasp as she lightly punched the girl in front of her.

 

"What do you mean I'm a thief?"

 

"I didn't steal your origamis!" the taller girl said defensively as she punched Winter on the shoulder again. "take that back!"

 

“Nah uh”

 

Winter makes a left-to-right motion with her finger, indicating no. "If you don’t say your name, I'm going to call you Ms. Origami Stealer."

 

"Wow, Winter," the taller girl says as she brushes up against Winter's shoulder. " I can't believe you're going to resort to blackmailing me just to get my name."

Winter shrugged her shoulders, seemingly unbothered.

 

“So?”

 

The taller girl shakes her head as she realizes she is fighting a losing battle against the female in front of her.

 

"Karina"

 

"Hm?" Winter hums, her eyes filled with adoration. "Karina, who?"

 

"Yu"

 

"Pretty name for a lovely face"

 

Karina rolls her eyes for the umpteenth time. "And now you're flirting with me."

 

"Who says I'm flirting with you, Yu?" Winter asks teasingly. "I'm not going to flirt with someone who will be living here, in this place."

 

Despite Winter's lighthearted words, Karina can still hear the sorrowful tone in her voice.

 

"Why not?"

 

Winter gazed at her as if she had just overheard her utter something dumb.

 

"What do you mean by "why not?"

 

"You heard me. Why won't you flirt with someone who is staying here?"

 

Karina noticed how Winter's expression changed from joyful to solemn.

 

"Because I don't want to put myself in a situation that will break my heart again," Winter explained as she lay down on the floor, staring at the night sky.

 

"Win-"

 

"And I'm dying," Winter cut her off before she could continue her sentence.

 

"What?" Karina is confused. Winter's words aren't sinking in, as if she couldn't understand what the pale girl had just said.

 

"I'm dying, Karina. I only have three months left to live."

 

 

 

***

 

"You're quiet," Giselle, Karina's half-sister, observed, looking at Karina, who was staring out her glass window.

 

"I'm just tired," Karina said. "and bored."

 

Giselle hums in understanding. She, too, feels the same way. Giselle set down the apples as she approached Karina's bed and sat close to her feet. 

 

"You still haven't told me where you went that night." Karina paused in her trance as she heard Giselle ask.

 

"Rooftop," she quickly replied.

 

Giselle did not say anything as she stared at her sister. She is aware of Karina's sadness when the doctor says that she needs to stay in the hospital for more tests.

 

"Karina-"


"I'm okay," Karina said, looking away from the window and toward Giselle.

 

"I'm just tired, Gi, nothing else," Karina explains as she opens her arms and invites Giselle to hug her. "Promise"

 

Giselle sighs as she embraces Karina. Even though she wants to ask her more questions, she knows that Karina will simply avoid answering them.

 

"Okay"

 

 

 

***

Karina hadn't seen Winter in two days. The taller girl has no idea if the pale girl has already been discharged or not.

 

Karina still can't believe the shorter girl is dying. She recalls how Winter gazed at her that night. Sadness and acceptance flooded her eyes. It's as though Winter has long accepted that she will die.

 

Karina was about to ask her another question when the door on the rooftop slammed open forcefully.

 

"Win!"

 

A short boyish-looking girl yelled. She was clutching her knees, attempting to regain her breath. She motioned with her hands for Winter to come closer.

 

Winter laughed as she approached the breathless girl. 

 

"Now now Ryujin, take a deep breath," Winter says as she pats Ryujin on the back.

 

"Give me a second," Ryujin said, inhaling a large amount of air and exhaling it loudly. "ha!"

 

Karina stares at the two as she moves closer to them.

 

Ryujin gazed at her, puzzled.


" Who are you?" 


Karina smiled at the girl. "My name is Karina, and you are?" 

 

"Ryujin!" the boyish-looking girl exclaimed enthusiastically. She places her arms around Winter's shoulder and pulls her closer to her. 


"I'm Winter's cousin."

 

 

She recalls how Ryujin disrupted their conversation. She still has a lot of questions for Winter, but she has to go back to her room since her sister, according to Ryujin, is enraged with Winter for whatever reason. 

 

Karina sighed and reached for her wallet. She takes out a paper bill and inserts it into the vending machine. She's so caught up in her thoughts on whether to have a soda or a juice that she doesn't notice a certain pale girl approaching her.

 

"If I were you, I'd get the soda." 

 

Karina almost screams as a voice from behind her speaks suddenly. Karina turned around, ready to hit the person, but to her astonishment, she was met by a smiling Winter.

 

"Hello there, Ms. Origami Stealer."

 

Winter joyfully greeted Karina. She waved her hand as if she were a child, thrilled to see her parents after a hard day at school.

 

Karina rolls her eyes for two different reasons. First, Winter had the guts to smirk like that as if she hadn't already scared Karina earlier. Second, she addresses her as Ms. Origami Stealer again. AGAIN.

 

"Oh, shut it, Winter," Karina scoffs, bumping Winter's shoulder in annoyance.

 

"Woah, why are you so cranky?" Winter asked as she inserted money into the vending machine to get a cola.

 

Karina simply scoffed and walked over to the benches by the glass window. Winter follows her in her gaze as she inserts more money to purchase a chocolate bar.

Karina huffs as she sits on the chair, sipping her cola and staring out the window. 

 

"Here, Dr. Wendy once told me that chocolate improves our mood."

 

Winter handed Karina a chocolate bar as she occupied the space next to Karina.

 

Karina observes Winter. The girl simply smiled at her.

 

Winter nods, prompting Karina to get the chocolate bar. Karina takes the chocolate gingerly and says a quiet thank you.

 

They spend some quiet time together while Karina stares outdoors. Karina had no idea what Winter was up to, but hearing how the pale girl hummed as she chewed, she knew Winter was busy eating.

 

Soon after, Karina noticed a little palm in front of her. Karina turns to face the owner of the palm. Winter pointed to the wrapper and soda can on Karina's side.

 

"Give me those, and I'll throw it away" 

 

Karina carefully gathered her trash and handed it over to Winter. Winter stands up to dump their rubbish into the trash can.

 

Karina watches Winter throw their trash. Karina witnessed how the nurses greeted Winter as well. How the doctors appear to know who Winter is. Karina gradually realizes that Winter is telling her the truth—that she's going to die soon. Looking at how everyone here is familiar with Winter. Maybe Winter spends all of her time at the hospital.

 

"Are you dying?"

Karina asked. 


Winter responds with a hum. Winter slouched on the bench and adjusted her back. Staring out the window at the lovely sky. Winter raises her hand, pointing to the birds outside.

 

"I always envy those birds," she says, "They seem so carefree, and it makes me wonder what freedom tastes like."

 

Her fingers followed the flight paths of the birds. 

 

"They look so free," Winter said quietly. 

"Win-"

 

"It's true," Winter stated quietly. "They said I only have three months to live."

 

Winter lowered her arms as the stillness continued.

 

Karina is at a loss as to what to do or say. Karina is a person who never runs out of words, but to her chagrin, it appears like her words are being yanked out of .

 

"But it's all right," Winter exclaimed. As she stands up, she breaks the somber tension between them.

 

"I accepted it a long time ago, which is why I'm doing my best to live my remaining days to the fullest." 

 

Winter smiled brightly at Karina at that time.

 

If Karina met Winter under different circumstances, she would undoubtedly sneer at how this girl in front of her appeared to be so upbeat about her life. But it still amazes Karina that Winter doesn't concentrate on her approaching demise.

 

"If you're a flower, you're a dandelion."

 

Karina says as she stands up and faces Winter.

 

Winter tilted her head, resembling a lost puppy in Karina's eyes.

 

"Dandelion?" Winter asked, perplexed.

 

"Don't tell me you don't know what dandelions are," Karina said, raising her brow. There's no way a teen like Winter doesn't know what dandelions are, Karina reasoned.

 

Winter simply scratches her neck sheepishly. Her entire physique screams shyness as she appears so small in front of Karina.

 

Karina is confused as to why the girl is acting this way. It took her a minute to completely comprehend what Winter was trying to convey.

 

"Wait, don't tell me,"

 

Winter only nodded. The confirmation certainly made her shy.

 

"I grew up here," Winter explained. "And the garden here doesn't have that dandelion flower you keep telling me about."

 

After hearing the revelation, Karina's jaw hung open. She can't believe there are people on this earth who don't know what dandelions are.

 

"No, you've got to be kidding me!" cried Karina.

 

"Winter, there's no way you don't know what dandelions are."


Winter is taken aback when Karina flees from her. Winter believed she had weirded out Karina, but when Karina was about to turn to another hallway, she came to a halt in her tracks and abruptly turned her back to face Winter's direction again.

 

"Let's meet on the rooftop later at night!" yelled Karina.

 

"Why?"  Winter asked, half-shouting so Karina could hear her.

 

"I'm going to show you some dandelions!"

 

After that, Karina flees to the corridors, away from Winter's gaze.

 

"She's something else"

 

***

It's 6 p.m., and the sky is dark. The stars are sparkling, and Winter is left in silence to admire the splendor of the night sky.


If you ask Winter what her favorite hobby is, she will say looking at the night sky. Oh well, it's not like Winter has many options anyway. She's imprisoned here in the hospital, and there's no way she can sneak away without being discovered.


The disadvantage of having powerful parents.

Winter has almost forgotten how the outside world looks. She has spent her entire life in this hospital and is coming to believe that the world is made up of white-painted walls with glass windows.

 

Winter was so preoccupied with her thoughts that she didn't notice the door opening and closing. That's why she leaped in surprise when Karina dropped a little hefty box in front of her.

 

"Jesus Christ!" screamed Winter, terrified.

 

Karina was surprised by how quickly Winter jumped, but she quickly laughed and teased Winter for looking like a scared puppy.

 

"That's not funny!" Winter exclaimed, pointing to Karina, who was laughing.

 

"You nearly killed me!" 

 

Karina stopped giggling and fixed a deadpan expression on Winter.

 

"You're dying either way, so what's the big deal?"

 

Winter's jaw dropped wide in surprise as Karina walked towards the direction of the table and unwrapped the package she had brought earlier.

 

"Hey, that's rude," Winter sulked.

 

"Whatever, Winter"

 

Winter muttered curses as she walked to see what Karina was up to.

 

"Oh, come on, Winter, don't be a kid," Karina taunted as she removed a little pouch with soil from the box. That caught Winter's attention.

 

"What's that?" Winter inquired.

 

"Garden soil and dandelion seed" 

 

Winter asked, "Dandelion seeds?"

 

Karina nods, motioning for Winter to occupy the spot beside her. Winter obliged.

 

"We're going to plant a dandelion," Karina eagerly exclaimed.

 

"What?" Winter asked.

 

"You said earlier that you don't know what dandelions are, right?" Karina questioned. Winter responds by nodding her head.

 

"That's why I made Giselle buy me this stuff," Karina happily said.

 

"Giselle?"


"My half-sister"

 

"Okay"

 

"Now let's plant this"

 

"Okay!"

 

 

 

***

 

"And that's it! We're done!" Karina cried, clapping her hands joyfully.

 

Winter grins as she looks at the pot where the dandelions' seeds are buried.

 

"Dandelions are low-maintenance," Karina said. Winter gave her a look. "so it wouldn't be a problem because we don't have to take care of it all the time for it to grow."

 

"So we can leave it like this, and it will still grow?" Winter inquired.

 

"Yes, we just need to water it daily so it doesn't get dehydrated," Karina replied.

 

"How long does it take for a dandelion to grow?" 

 

"3 months-" Karina paused mid-sentence. Counting down the days till the dandelions bloom and the days until Winter dies. "Win-"

 

"I'm sure I'll get to see this little flower grow before I die," Winter asserted confidently. With much determination, she stared at the pot. "I'll do anything to see this flower bloom."

 

Karina felt something on her stomach. She's not sure if it's a pity or a comfort to hear Winter's voice laced with determination to live.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

It's not as if Karina didn't see it coming. The way they both spend their days together tending to the dandelions and their nights together on the rooftop admiring the night sky and sharing stories that only the two of them hear. Karina is aware that whatever she is feeling is wrong. Winter's comfort will do her no good. She'll be discharged soon, and Winter won't survive much longer. There's no way the butterflies in her tummy will bring her happiness if she let them. 

 

Karina is not stupid. She knew what she entered, but it still caught her off guard. Winter's smile used to irritate her, but now she can't go about her day if she can't see it on her face.

 

"Oh, I'm a mess," Karina exclaims, covering her face with her palm. She finishes watering the pot and takes a seat on the bench.

 

"Dumb dumb dumb," mumbled Karina as she softly hit her head. She is quite upset about what is happening to her.

 

"Hey, hey, hey. what's wrong?" A voice from behind asks, gently holding Karina's hands to keep them from hitting her head any farther.


"Why are you hurting yourself?" Winter asked Karina.


Karina didn't respond; instead, she pouted.

 

"Hey," Winter said softly. "Everything is fine?"

 

Karina merely shakes her head as she pulls Winter closer to her. It's been a month since they started nursing these dandelions, and in those days they've spent together, physical touch has become second nature to them.

 

"I'm just having a bad day." 

 

Winter didn't ask any more questions, as she had just shifted her position so that Karina could hug her comfortably.

 


Karina pressed herself against Winter, finding it soothing to be inside Winter's embrace.

 


"It's okay," Karina heard Winter say.

 


"It's just a bad day, not a bad life."

 


Karina nods and closes her eyes. Winter's embrace is so soothing that she can feel herself slowly walking to dreamland.

 


"I'm here, Karina," Winter said softly as she kissed Karina on the cheek. "Relax, I'll be here."

 

 

 

***

 

 

Days have passed, and Karina can see how her condition is improving. She should be pleased with the improvements, but a part of her feels saddened by the evident changes in Winter's body.


The girl turned paler than usual. She gets weary just laughing. Karina noticed how Winter was having difficulty carrying the watering pot. Every time they met on the rooftop at night, she could see the exhaustion in Winter's eyes. Karina saw the changes, and it was upsetting her.

 

Winter has three months to live, but her condition is rapidly deteriorating. Karina thought.

 

"-Karina."

 

Karina's trance was broken by the words.

 

"Huh?" Karina asked, startled. "What is it, Doctor?"

 

Karina's doctor, Dr. Irene, simply smiled at her. "The origamis."

 

Doctor Irene is glancing at Karina's tiny table. Karina followed her line of sight and understood what her doctor was trying to ask.

 

"Winter taught me how to do it," Karina replied.

 

"Winter?" doctor Irene asked, her brow furrowed.

 

"Yep, Winter Kim," Karina says, nodding to Irene. "Doc, you know her as well?"

 

Doctor Irene did not respond right away. Her doctor is staring at her, but her eyes are far away. It appears that she is staring at Karina, but she is not.

She seemed to be lost in thought.

 

"Doc?"

 

Karina calls her, waving her hands in front of her doctor, shattering her reverie.

 

Doctor Irene blinks and shakes her head slightly. 

 

"What happened, Doc?" Karina questioned.

 

Doctor Irene looks at Karina, open, ready to say something, but instead closes and shakes her head.

 

"Nothing"

 

The doctor continues to explain Karina's concerns in addition to the dos and don'ts. She then bid her goodbyes because the doctor still needed to finish her rounds.

 

 

"What was that?" Karina inquired of no one. She shrugged as she lay down on her bed, ready to sleep the night away.

 

On the other hand. A certain doctor is standing outside the door. As she walks away from the door and continues her rounds, her expression is filled with melancholy.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

"Win" 

 

Winter heard Ryujin calling her name. She could also hear her voice cracking. 

 

"Winter!"

 

Winter was used to it. Hearing bad news. It isn't something new to her. Growing up knowing that you're going to die? It is not something new to her.

 

She's used to her doctor saying that they'll try everything possible to find a cure. Even her sister, Taeyeon, promised her that. Her sister is traveling abroad to discover new things for her. But Winter knows that no matter what happens, she'll die. She had long ago accepted it. 

 

"Winter, please!"

 

She accepted it a long time ago, so why does it ache now?

 

"Leave me alone, Ryujin!"

 

Winter yelled as she hurried to the rooftop stairs.

 

Ryujin followed her, attempting to catch up as winter began to flee.

 

Winter doesn't get it. She's prepared to go, but hearing how quickly her health deteriorates saddens her. Her family is aware of this, as is Ryujin. Everyone in the hospital is aware of this, so why does it bother her now?

 

Winter pushed the door forcefully. She runs to the bench and sobs.

 

The ache inside her is excruciating. She's disintegrating, and nothing can make her feel better.

 

"I'm so sorry," Ryujin said softly as she drew Winter into a hug. "I'm so sorry, Winter."

 

Winter shook her head. It's no one's fault. It's no one's responsibility that she was born with poor health. No one.

 

Ryujin tightens the hug. Her eyes well up with tears as she hears Winter sob.

 

She is confused. The doctors have promised to do their best, but they still do not have a cure. Thinking about the day she won't see Winter again hurts her. She isn't ready. 

 

"I accepted it a long time ago," Winter said. "But why does it still hurt knowing I'm going to die?"

 

Ryujin does not reply. 

 

"All I want to do is play outside like everyone else."

 

Ryujin holds back a sob. She refuses to let Winter hear her cries. She should be strong for her.

 

"But why would my days be numbered?" 

 

Winter weakly punches Ryujin's chest. She's angry and in pain. She finds it unfair that everyone else can live their lives but she can't.

 

"Don't I deserve to live, too?" Winter sobs.

 

"Do I not deserve to live longer?"

 

"Win-"

 

"I don't even want a longer life all I want is to live my life without worrying about the fact that my days are numbered."

 

Ryujin does not respond, instead allowing Winter to weep inside her hug. She, too, finds it unfair that she may live her life for a long period while Winter cannot.

She tightens the grip and kisses the top of Winter's head. Caressing her back to ease her pain.

 

"All I want to do is make more origami."

 

If she could help Winter, she would have done it a long time ago. Only if.

 

"I'm sorry."

***

Ryujin

 

 

 

Ryujin was five years old when she learned that her beloved cousin was in the hospital. Her parents informed her that they would be visiting Winter over the holidays. Ryujin, who is only five years old, has no understanding of what it is like to be in a hospital. All she knows is that she'll be seeing her again, and they'll be able to play all day. She recalls seeing Winter with someone dressed entirely in white. She asked her mother who the man was, and she was told that he was Winter's doctor.

 

"Who is that white guy, Mama?" 

 

"He's Winter's Doctor, baby."

 

"A doctor?"

 

"Yes, a Doctor."


"What is a Doctor, mama?"


"someone who cares for and heals the sick, baby"


"Is Winter sick, Mama?"

 

 

She recalls her mother looking at her with sadness on her face. A young Ryujin doesn't grasp what it means. She had a lot of questions on her mind, but the instant the white-coated guy said goodbye and excused himself, all questions fled from her tiny mind.

 

"Ryu?"

 

Ryujin eagerly looks in the direction of the voice. Winter is looking at her, puzzled, but Ryujin ignores that. She dashed towards her and jumped on the bed, eliciting a barrage of scolding and yelling from the others in the room. 

 

"Ryujin!"

"Baby!"

"Be careful!"

"No!"

 

It was a shambles, but Ryujin gave little importance as Winter wrapped her arms around her and pulled her into a tight hug. Ryujin smiles as she returns the hug with equal intensity. She's thrilled at the moment because all the games they can play have flooded her little mind.

 

It was that simple. It was supposed to be that simple. They were kids, and all they had to do was have fun. But life is cruel, and a 15-year-old Ryujin experienced that. They were on the rooftop playing games on their PlayStation when Winter suddenly collapsed. Ryujin remembers how she thought Winter was pranking her at that moment. She remembers nudging her body, teasing her cousin. But it feels off. So Ryujin paused her game and shook Winter's body. No response. She tries her best to wake her cousin, and she remembers the feeling of dread creeping into her body.

 

It was so vivid in her mind. How she screamed for help that night. She remembers sliding down the stairs after missing a step. She remembers how hot and sticky the sensation of blood is and how her vision is becoming blurry. She also remembers a panicked stranger grabbing her as she was about to collapse. 

 

"Winter"

 

Ryujin is doing her hardest to stay conscious at the time. Her cousin needs help. She grabs the figure's clothes, hoping to get a reaction from them.

 

"Winter needs help."

 

"rooftop," she replies softly, remembering how her surroundings are dimming. "rooftop."

 

Everything went black.

-

 

 

 

 

 

As soon as she wakes up. Ryujin instantly asks where Winter is.

 

"Where is Winter? How is she?"  Ryujin asks. She's still dazed, and her head hurts, but she wants to know where winter is already.

 

"Where is she?"

She asks once more.

 

Her parents, though, remained silent. It made her nervous. As she struggles to get out of bed, negative ideas begin to flood her mind.

 

Ryujin's mother is holding the disoriented child. Ryujin is becoming anxious since the people around her are refusing to respond to her questions. She thrashed around violently because her emotions were raging and driving her mad. Her hands are starting to bleed. She recalls accidentally striking her father in the face and getting out of bed to remove the needles from her hands. She remembers how her mother frantically called her name. She has no recollection of what happened after that. All she remembers is a little frame supporting her frail body at that time. She attempted to push that person, but the person tightened their grip and refused to let go.

 

She recalls being on the verge of crying when a sweet voice called her.

 

"Ryu?"

 

She remembers how fast she moved her body away from the stranger and how quickly she tried to fall into Winter's hold.

 

She remembers how her body relaxes when she smells the comforting vanilla scent.

 

"Winter, you are safe."

 

Ryujin, who was on the edge of passing out, murmured as she reached for Winter's cheeks. Winter is looking at her with a worried expression on her face.

 

"You are safe."

 

Ryujin's world went black for the second time.

-

 

 

 

Living a normal life is what Winter wants. So Ryujin tried her best to let Winter experience a normal life.

 

Ryujin is an active student at her school. She plays baseball, and she's an honor student. It always makes Ryujin curious how her body seems not to get tired of living a triple life. Being a student, an athlete, and Winter's cousin and best friend.

 

But seeing how Winter's face lit up when Ryujin told her the good news of her being an honor student and her team winning the championship this season, it hit Ryujin straight in the heart. The reason she doesn't get tired is that she sees how her cousin appreciates the little things in Ryujin's life. Winter is her motivation.

 

So Ryujin made it an oath to do her best to make Winter proud.

-

 

 

 

 

Ryujin was on her way to visit Winter when she heard a group of nurses talking to each other.


"Didn't you hear the news?"


"What is the latest news?"


"The director has given up on Winter."


"What?"


"A resident overheard their conversation."


"Oh, my god."

"poor child"

 


Ryujin comes to a halt in her tracks.


She feels an outburst of rage. She turns on her heels and dashes towards the room where she knows the director is staying.


When the door suddenly opened with such power, it stunned all the adults inside.


They're even more surprised to see the director on the ground. Even the CEO is taken aback by what is happening.


Ryujin was about to throw another punch when an arm pulled her away from the director.

 

"Ryujin!"

 

It was only then that Ryujin recognized her father's presence.

 

"What are you doing?!" 

 

Her mother dragged her away and scolded her for what she had done.

 

She didn't respond as she looked around to see who was inside now. Her parents are here, as are Winter's parents. Her granddad is here with her grandmother too. They're all here. It hit her. They have all given up on Winter. Her family, her blood, has given up on Winter.

 

"What's wrong with you all?!"

 

Her voice is rife with anguish and hatred. She can't understand how the grownup in their family has given up on Winter. Winter, is doing everything she can to have a longer life.

 

Winter's only wish is to live like everyone else. Winter, who has faith in her. Winter is a person who believes in everyone. Winter, her playmate, cousin, and ride-or-die, wants nothing more than to be healthy again.

 

Ryujin is furious. How cruel that everyone around Winter has given up on her, but Winter is still battling for a longer life.

 

"Ryujin, show some respect!" 

 

Ryujin's father yelled at her, but she only gave her a furious look.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter