Un.

say my name, and everything just stops
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Aeri almost stumbled despite the capability of her long legs to trek further up the stairs and towards the royal bedroom. Surely, she’d have to apologize for the ruckus she caused at the kitchen because really, who wouldn’t leave their business if the princess required more urgent matters? (The pie she was baking turned out burnt. That will have to wait.)

 

Slamming the door inwards, Aeri catches sight of Minjeong's figure, staring out from the open window. A brilliant shade of beige colored the silk dress she was wearing, justifying the emphasizing view of her all natural grace. 

 

“Your Highness! Am I in need of any assistance?” Aeri’s voice paraded concern. 

 

There was a lingering smile flashing upon Minjeong’s lips the moment she’s made aware of the other woman’s presence. As soon as Aeri shuts the door with a slight twist on the knob, unprepared as she was, it’s as if the princess suddenly teleported into her arms. 

 

“Aeri! How I have missed you…'' Minjeong sighs, resting her chin upon Aeri's shoulder. Her arms entangled around the firm frame of Aeri's body. she odored of swiss chocolates and a tad bit of vanilla essence despite the voluminous sweat perspiring out of her skin, and it was all the princess ever needed for her to feel better. 

 

“Y-your Highness—“

 

“It's Minjeong to you. How many times must we discuss about this?” Minjeong retreats, though she doesn’t let go just yet. Their gazes immediately meet, knocking the breath out of Aeri's chest. Oh how damned she feels at the moment. 

 

“Nonsense, Your Highness, for even without the presence of an assemblage, I shan't drop any formalities.” Aeri sternly regarded, earning a frown from Minjeong, causing her to lose their hold of each other. 

 

“Not even a tinge of becoming casual with me?”

 

“Most certainly not.”

 

“Oh come on, it’s just the two of us,” Minjeong retorted, and Aeri stiffened in place. There she goes again.  

 

“And it’s just how I should tend to you. Now what did you need, Your Highness? Having trouble with your garments?” Aeri shuns the way Minjeong's eyes gloomed as she immediately lifts her chin up to look at Aeri with her usual enthusiasm.

 

The princess shifts towards her wardrobe, pulling a familiar garment in her hands. Aeri recognizes it almost instantly, with the way there were stitch marks entwined within the fabric. Aeri’s stitchwork. Along the marks was a small hole that seemed to be torn purposely, yet Aeri doesn’t hold onto that assumption any longer.

 

“Well, a slight mishap on my end. One of my nightdresses wore a tear and.. they could use a little fixing.” 

 

How puckish, Aeri thinks. This was her fifth time regarding this matter!

 

“I'll be sure to mend it right away, Your Highness. A moment," Aeri bows, excusing herself out. 

 

With the thread and needle in her grasp, Aeri comes back to the princess tucked inside her sheets, somewhat already knocked out. Was she away for that long? 

 

Aeri tried to call for Minjeong to check if she’s gone deep, although it’s unnecessary as she doesn’t want to cause any more distress. She proceeded to the drawer beside the bed where the nightdress was placed as she sat on the wooden stool to begin sewing. She momentarily watches the princess’ back’s rise and fall at a tranquil pace, an indication that she was, indeed, asleep. 

 

After what seemed a while, Aeri was almost done with the chore that she didn't notice the princess tossing herself back, now facing Aeri's way. She halts her hand from stitching, and her breath hitches. Oh how damned she feels at the moment. 

 

Aeri looks— stares , if anything more, at Minjeong’s serene face. Her gaze traced Minjeong’s lavishly long lashes, to her perfectly bridged nose, down to her inviting lips—

 

God! Aeri feels filthy because how can such a commoner like her be able to admire the princess up close like this? She tightens the grip on Minjeong's nightdress, cutting the thread off as she finishes shortly. Emitting a sigh, Aeri rises and places the dress back into the closet. She moves conscientiously, making her way to the door.

 

Somehow, her footsteps were deemed to be heavy, as if she was reasoning with herself whether to depart so soon. 

 

But what else is there for her to sojourn? Even if she tried, the princess is still the princess, and Aeri—nothing but just a royal retainer; a servant .

 

And even if there is one other inducement—that Aeri and Minjeong used to be the best of pals; teens singing along to the tune of their favorite rhymes, tiring themselves out from silly little games, gone were those days and Aeri had grown to accept it.

 

She dismisses all this impractical pondering, finally leaving the princess to her peaceful slumber.

 

•━♛━•

“Leave her alone!”

 

Several heads turn to Minjeong’s direction, the expression on her face quite intimidating. 

 

“Your Highness…” The boys surrounding Aeri began to fumble into a line, paying their respects to the princess. The gesture only invoked minjeong in a more irately manner. 

 

Minjeong scoffs. “How delightful is it, no? How delightful of you gentlemen to heed me, a woman, with such grace and yet I find someone who is the same as I am, trickled on the floor, picked on by the very same gentlemen as if there’s nothing palpable about it.” 

 

Her tone was intrepid, catching the boys off guard. She momentarily glances at Aeri, whose eyes were watering in fear and shame. Such a sight evoked her fury even then. 

 

And just as she thought she’d feel any madder, one of the prats spouted.

 

“But, Your Highness, you deserve our respect for you are royalty. Have you not been primed to deal with commoners like this girl as much as you treat animals?”

 

A coup of gasps elicited as Minjeong felt her hand sting. The obvious mark on the prat’s cheek glowed bloody red, as if all the rage inside her system ran through her palm and onto the ’s face. Serves him right.

 

Minjeong then rushes and smooths a palm against her dress just so she could kneel down comfortably upon Aeri. “Are you alright?”

 

“Y-your Highness, please rise. Your dress, it’s going to get ruined—“

 

“It does not matter. Come with, I shall see to it that we’re away from these dissolute fellows.” Minjeong rests her hand on Aeri's shoulder. The princess’ gaze was tantalizing, the warmth of her touch incredulously secure. 

 

Aeri managed to let herself become dragged by Minjeong, along the unfamiliar walls of the mansion, and outside the vicinity where an abundant garden lay place. Though hesitant and denying, Aeri had no choice but to join the princess as she perched herself onto the soft grass. 

 

“You’re the newcomer, right? You look just like Mrs. Uchinaga.” Minjeong grins, a fond memory of her current royal retainer suddenly flashing through her mind. 

 

“Y-yes. Mother told me it’d be best if I join the royal service as early as now. Says I have a long tramp to tread upon.” 

 

“Wouldn’t that be mournful, is it not? Having to strip you off of your childhood at this early age?” The princess asked.

 

Aeri shakes her head most instantly, offering a chaste smile. “No, not quite. I love what I do, and I am utmost proud to be of service to the royal family.” 

 

Minjeong nods in amusement. Certainly, this girl is starting to become appealing to her. Perhaps because they’re of the same age? Or the way her lids crease into a shape of the crescent moon just as the one shining upon the sky—only that Aeri’s were far more… attractive.

 

“What about Your Highness, then?” Minjeong is exited from her trance upon Aeri's sudden inquiry.

 

“What about me?”

 

“Your Highness is an heiress, after all. Would that mean that you are stripped off of your childhood as well?” 

 

Clever. Minjeong tittered unexpectedly. “Is something the matter, Your Highness? Perhaps my words have offended?”

 

Minjeong dismisses as she shakes her head. “You’re endearing to bond with. We should start dropping some honorifics then, shall we? Please call me Minjeong instead. You are?”

 

Aeri's orbs widen out of shame. “B-but Your Highness, that is not—“

 

“It is, in fact, it shall be at my behest.” Minjeong geared a mischievous smirk, and Aeri was left helpless. She could never bring herself to defy the princess—no, not ever, especially that she’s just starting as a trainee, or some sort, on becoming her future retainer. 

 

Oh how damned she feels at the moment.

 

“Answer when you are asked. You are?” Minjeong reiterated, trying her best to keep the cunning grin crawling up her lips. 

 

Aeri blinked hastily, mouth hung ajar as she croaks out, “My name’s Aeri, Your High—M-minjeong.” Aeri almost slips out, if not for the princess’ piercing gaze. 

 

Minjeong then beams a lovely smile. A rather strange tenderness fluttered within Aeri as she mirrored the princess’ smile, a silent agreement of somewhat the root of a blossoming friendship. 

 

•━♛━•

 

Minjeong slides her fingers along the rim of the staircase, giddily dashing down the steps. 

 

She was called to breakfast with the king and the queen this morning, and since there are barely a countable number of days wherein the royal family dines as complete, this is truly a remarkable morning for the princess. Oh how she wishes mornings were like this every single day from thenforth.

 

“Good morning, Mamá, Papá” Minjeong bows her head, dallying to her seat.

 

“Pleasant morning, dearest. Woke up on the warm side of the mattress today?” The queen queried.

 

Minjeong shrugs, her ginger locks reflecting on the glass surface. “Just a bit thrilled. It’s not everyday I get to spend breakfast with Your Majesties.” 

 

The queen delightfully chuckles, resuming to eat. For quite a while, the silence began to become deafening. Even Minjeong could hear the incessant chewing of the king despite her seated across from him. 

 

Minjeong clears . “So… any tales from your travels, so far? How about you, Papá? I've been apprised that you journeyed from France. I heard they are comprised of beautiful landmarks.”  

 

The king throated a laugh. “And also home to only the finest gentlemen among the whole of Europe! A rather intricate decision for me to choose the righteous beholder for our grandest jewel.” 

 

The words shed Minjeong into an unamused guise. There goes the king and his adherences to the preservation of the Kim heir…

 

“Lovely, my lordship, but steady we are, as our Minjeong hath just bloomed into a young lady. I’m precise she has all the time in the world to discover more of her… interests.” The queen beckons, and Minjeong gave everything in her to pamper her mother with a wondrous thank you gaze.

 

“Those interests being coalescent and favored by the noblemen, is it not, dearest Minjeong?” The king asks, extending his arms to rest his elbows on the table, placing his chin on his knuckle. 

 

“I-I..”

 

“Your Majesty, I may to interrupt, but your blueberry pie, as thou requested.” They craned their attention unto Aeri’s sudden presence. She lowers intricately, preparing to head off. 

 

“Wait, Aeri, if you could accompany your princess to the dining table please?” Minjeong pats the side of her chair, and Aeri immediately obliges on her end. She swiftly walks and pauses right beside where Minjeong sits. 

 

As much as the princess would love to have Aeri actually seated beside her, it is one of the royal decree’s declarations that only the royal family accommodates the dining hall’s chairs. So Aeri stays put, not moving a single tendon. 

 

“As I was saying. The Jung kingdom in Germany will hold a grand ball this Saturday evening.” 

 

Minjeong’s ears perked alarmingly. “Germany? Another ball ? Papá, all we do is travel together to make appearances on these… balls you speak of.”

 

“Precisely, dear. A wonderful time for your exposure to possible suitors, isn’t it, loveliest?” The king turns to the queen, and then to her daughter.

 

It took all of Minjeong's resolve not to roll her eyes at the statement. “Alright. I would like to take Aeri with, then.” 

 

The hall fell into a dour atmosphere. Aeri began to tremble at her stance, confused by the princess’ demand. 

 

The king furrowed his brows. “Dearest, you know we cannot do that any more. not especially with the abhorring incident that occurred—“

 

“—that was ages ago, Papá. I apologized to Lord Lee and everything was settled. You know that.”

 

“Even so! What would it be then if the nobles caught sight of a commoner in such an event? Think practically, dearest.”

 

Aeri clutches the hem of her trousers. Her teeth gritted against each other inside of , an encompassing annoyance building up within her. 

 

“I will see to it that she’s going to use one of my dresses. Stop complicating any further, Papá.”

 

“Nonsense! You are to comply with my demand that we are not bringing your retainer with.”

 

“And I gladly reject, Your Majesty.” Minjeong smiles, rather forcibly. She rose from her seat and lowered her forehead. “Thank you for the scrumptious meal.” 

 

Minjeong rushes out, heading upstairs. She maneuvered to the palace library, slotting herself onto her favorite spot in the place. Grabbing one of the books, she engrosses herself in the text. 

 

“Your Highness,” Minjeong was startled to see Aeri prompting a glass of milk on her table. How did she not notice? Was she too absorbed from reading? “You have forgotten your milk intake for this morning. ‘Tis freshly drawn from the healthiest cow in the herd. Enjoy as you please, Your Highness.”

 

Aeri noticed how the princess was eyeing her amusingly, urging her to become aware of her consciousness all of a sudden. 

 

“How did you know where to find me?” 

 

“How would I not? This is your favorite spot. It always has been. Predictable of you, I must say." Aeri quips yet her eyes widen, abashed by her nature of words. “I-I mean, I’ve searched the royal bedroom and you were not there, Your Highness. The library would be the second best option you’d wander upon after that.” 

 

Aeri sees the princess hold a snicker, and she feels more embarrassed than ever. Minjeong, however, is quite buoyant, a creeping grin forming on her lips. Aeri hastened, informing her leave. 

 

“So soon?“ Minjeong doesn’t push her any longer. “Alright, then. see you around, Aeri.”

 

“As you are, Your Highness.” Aeri bows.

 

“Minjeong.” The princess rectified.

 

Aeri purses her lips, holding back a chuckle. “Your Highness.”

 

•━♛━•

 

Aeri gently squeezed herself within the bookshelves, caving her way into the narrowed corners. For a castle that’s so huge, the library surely is not a crowd favorite. She could tell by how poorly this room was built.

 

Though that’s not what Aeri should be thinking at the moment. She searches for the familiar indicators—a broken chair, followed by the sign which read fiction, and there she spots the apple of her eye.

 

“Minjeong...”

 

The princess hurriedly wiped the remnant tears on her cheeks, quietly sniffling as her best friend engulfed her in a warm embrace. Minjeong latches her arms around Aeri like it was second nature, allowing herself to drown into a pool of incomparable serenity. At that very moment, Minjeong knew Aeri was her peace. That she would’t ever have to breathe so pressuringly if Aeri was near. 

 

“H-how did you know where to find me?” Minjeong asks, beginning to calm down.

 

Aeri chuckles, caressing Minjeong’s scalp. “Silly you. How would I not? This is our favorite spot.”

 

•━♛━•

 

Saturday came by like the wind. 

 

After a few reconsiderations, the king gave in to her daughter’s request (thanks to the queen’s convincing remarks). With the carriages prepared, what’s left is the passengers. 

 

“Hold still, now.” Yizhuo tightens the lace to secure the garment on Aeri's body in place. 

 

The latter winces, absorbing the sharp pain on her waist. “Does it really have to be this dress? It feels a little.. prickly.”

 

“The princess handchose this. I’m sure you wouldn’t want her disappointed now, will you, Aeri?” Yizhuo hums frivolously, and Aeri rolls her eyes. 

 

After a questionable silence, Yizhuo finishes up with a light dab of the red dye on Aeri's lips.   “You’re lucky; that Her Highness attends so much liking to you.”

 

“You don’t say that..” Aeri dismisses. 

 

“Bah! Enough absurdity. What i’m forwarding is—try not to waste such viable affection being presented to you, let alone from someone who’s as genuine as princess Minjeong. I'm sure you understand.” 

 

Yizhuo then bade her goodbye, allowing Aeri out of her quarters. The retainer didn’t even had any chance to pry on whatever the seamstress just told her. It was too late.

 

Speaking of late.. 

 

“Make haste, Aeri darling. You are to board the second carriage with the princess.” The queen shambled her train of thoughts. 

 

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

 

“You look dashing, dear.” 

 

“Far behind compared to you, Your Majesty.” Aeri responds, rather timidly. 

 

The queen laughs gingerly. “Humble just as your mother, I see. I have truly missed her all of a sudden.” 

 

After a whole while, the royal squires informed of the princess’ arrival. All heads began to point towards the staircase, and with a small clack of a heeled sandal, Minjeong shows up in emergence. 

 

The plum and silky gold gown justified Minjeong’s charms too well. Attached to her neck was a pristine necklace—one of Kim's prestigious heirlooms, adorned with the purest of all diamonds forming its sides. Her hair was tied to a beautiful bun with excess ginger strands on each side of her ear. 

 

Steady as she might be, albeit Aeri's heart says otherwise. Her eyes bore onto the princess as if she was musing herself on a scenic film. With each step Minjeong takes, the louder Aeri thinks the pummeling is inside her chest. thump. thump. thump. 

 

Unaware and dumbfounded, Aeri fails to notice the crippling feel of silk snaking around her arms. It was Minjeong's gloves, latching onto her skin like a magnet. “You look lovely, Aeri!”

 

Where were the words? Alas, Aeri was left voiceless, as if there was a horrid spike of a ball blocking , preventing any sound from coming out. Oh how damned she feels at the moment.

 

“A-as you are, Your Highness…” 

 

Minjeong gave only a cheeky grin before they proceeded to mount the carriage. The travel was… indeed something. For two special friends that were inseparable and loud, the silence could almost slaughter the horses that were functioning the carriage. 

 

Aeri kept her eyes glued to the window all the time, while Minjeong was busy fidgeting her gloves that she forgets every word she should be uttering at the sheer moment. 

 

It is also concerning how Aeri might acquire a stiff neck at the end of the day because god, she is using all her willpower not to look straight ahead. 

 

“Fancying the pastures more than your princess?” 

 

Aeri blinked slowly. In her peripheral comes Minjeong’s potent stare and it seems like she isn’t planning to avert it at any cost, stripping Aeri off of her freedom of choice.

 

So she pans her head (good riddance) towards Minjeong, a split-second short circuit dangling through her brain from the princess’ astonishing appearance, and smiles. “Nonsense, Your Highness. Nothing is as more deserving of attention as you.” 

 

The carriages halted shortly, a sign that their destination had been reached. The royal couple emerged from the first carriage, followed by their guards. Next were princess minjeong and Aeri—or so to say, Miss Uchinaga. 

 

The assemblage, mostly of noblepersons, acknowledged their arrival. Just like a diamond in the eyes of several beholders, Minjeong garnered quite a handful of glances leaning towards her, considering she is, in fact, a princess. Aeri, on the other hand, made sure that she doesn’t attract even a pint of attention.

 

Except that it isn’t the case anymore, since the princess did not want her out of sight. Aeri found herself talking and dancing with them, though unsure if she’s blurting the right words just so she cannot be established as a commoner.

 

Aeri was exposed to the unfamiliar upbringings of these higher ranked mortals—and it just does not feel appropriate. The crowd was becoming larger and her chest began to tighten. The lights seemed to be brighter than before, and everyone’s faces were blurry. Why is it so loud yet so silent at the same time? Aeri feels like she’s trapped in a maze, and there was impossibly no way out.

 

“Aeri, come over here!” Minjeong whispers from behind, wrapping her fingers around the tip of Aeri's waist. There was a tingle—a jolt speeding down her spine just from the touch. She momentarily meets her gaze, a flash of Minjeong's jaunty smile that was so clear that all the unsettling cacophonies, the indistinct crowd— nonsense. It’s as if all that ever mattered right now was Minjeong, and Minjeong alone.

 

With a responsive touch along the princess’ shoulder, Aeri loses herself to her blinding desire. She spun and tapped her feet, all courtesy to Minjeong’s suaved moves. 

 

“Isn’t this fun? we’re dancing!” 

 

It was all Aeri ever did the whole evening. Stare into Minjeong’s brown orbs, taking in all her form as if she was the only person in the ball. It was selfish, but Aeri hopelessly wished this wouldn’t end any sooner.

 

•━♛━•

 

“Papá’s going to host another one of his balls, again.” 

 

Aeri chuckled as she steadied her hold onto the saddle strings of the horse Minjeong was mounted to. 

 

“Wouldn’t that be great, then? There’s a feast of food, lots of socialization, dancing, boys?” Aeri chortled as she spouted the last word. 

 

Minjeong threw her a look, one that’s of pure disgust. “Ew. Boys are sorry excuses for sore-eyes.” 

 

“You’re one to talk as if you won’t marry one someday!” 

 

“Aeri, please, can we talk about anything other than that?”

 

Aeri raises her other hand in defeat. The horse began to walk at a faster pace so she shushed it with a light tug. “I would love to join a ball. It’s fun to see people dancing, enjoying the melody with their bodies.” 

 

Minjeong nods, rather hesitantly. “Do you perhaps, uhm, want to dance yourself? with uh, you know, with boys; imagining that you’re with them, talking and laughing along?” 

 

Aeri raised a brow all of sudden. What a bedazzling question! 

 

“That wasn’t something I expected of you to ask, Min.” Aeri laughs, rather shortly. “I do want to dance. but I don’t see myself dancing with the boys. Can’t I dance on my own?” 

 

Minjeong’s breath hitched at the answer. She hardened her grip on the reins whilst biting her lip. What was she so worked up about all of a sudden? “H-how about uh, a girl, perhaps? Will you dance with a girl instead?” 

 

Aeri stops from her tracks, causing the horse to halt as well. Minjeong began to sweat internally. Was she asking the wrong questions? Perhaps she was being pushy too. 

 

“Well, it’s better than being alone, right?” Aeri shrugs, looking up at the princess, pretending she doesn’t notice how Minjeong bit her lip out of nervousness. 

 

“Ah, well, in that case..” Minjeong leaped off, startling aeri as she grabbed her cold-smitten hands, curling them against her warm gloved ones. “I promise I'll take you to dance someday. Maybe not soon enough, but I'll make sure it will happen.” 

 

Aeri's jaw hung taut, bewildered by the princess’ phrasing. “A-are you crazy? Why did you jump off like that all of a sudden?! You could’ve gotten injured!” 

 

Minjeong rolls her eyes at her friend’s overdramatic conduct. Aeri continued to feign ignorance upon the princess’ oath, perhaps when time encompasses, it shall long be forgotten.

 

•━♛━•

 

Aeri pulled away from their connection, leaving Minjeong baffled. “M-my apologies..” Aeri bows and rushes herself out of the picture.

 

“Aeri, wait!”

 

She doesn’t reply. Her feet led her anywhere but near the ballroom, preferably outside and far away from this castle, if that’s even possible. 

 

Minjeong is nearing her, five steps away. With repetitive calls of please , Aeri , wait , and slow down , Aeri is quite doing the opposite. She ran and ran until her thighs grew weary, risking her balance off. 

 

Aeri yelps as she falls onto the thick grass. It seemed that she reached the back of the castle from all the running. 

 

“Are you alright? did you get a cut?” Minjeong hovered over her, the worry in her tone too obvious not to be ignored. Their proximity was too close that Aeri accidentally shoves the princess off, perplexing her in sight. 

 

With a moment of realization dawning upon her, Aeri frantically shied. “Your Highness! I am terribly sorry for causing you distress. For now, I need some time alone. Please meet back with your fellow guests in the ballroom. They are surely looking for you now.” 

 

“No. I promised I would stand with you until the end of the ball so we should meet back with them.”

 

“Can’t I atleast have a little time for myself, Your Highness?”

 

“It’s Minjeong, Aeri. That was the order I have given you since then.”

 

“And I have the right to object. You may be the heiress, but the royal decree is much more powerful.”

 

Aeri could sense the tension with the way Minjeong's eyes were flaring. “Why are you being such a prick ? This is what you would have wanted! To take part in a ball, to eat a scrumptious feast, to dance with all your heart—“

 

“—except that it is not! Look at me, princess. I am under a royal dress! I am wearing the name Miss as if I am one of these.. wealthy aristocrats that disdain the people of my kind. Yes, I want to take part in a ball. Yes, I would enjoy a feast. Yes, I would

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter