Chapter 1

Sarang♥

“Let’s make a song.”

 

Heechul turned around; his eyes meeting determined brown ones in the narrow corridor of SM Entertainment. 

 

“...I’m sorry?”

 

“You heard me.” Leeteuk strode forward, his gaze never once leaving Heechul’s. He could see the latter’s eyes slightly widen, as if the proposition was the wildest idea he could ever utter.

 

And it was. The two had not been on great terms ever since they were put into Super Junior 05, and realised that their working styles were just too different to ignore. While Heechul was tasked to focus on individual activities to promote himself and the group’s name, Leeteuk was tasked with team activities and he often appeared with other members on variety shows, unlike the former. 

 

Unbeknownst to each other, their different roles caused both men to be extremely envious of each other. Throughout all these years, Heechul had continued to hold onto a silent grudge that Leeteuk was able to be close to most of the members and had their support while he was forced to bear the stress of appearing alone on variety shows, well, alone. What he was unaware of, however, was the fact that Leeteuk was also holding onto a grudge that Heechul was able to be 100% himself on shows, and still received the love and adoration of all their fans and viewers, while he was forced to hide behind a mask in order to please their management.

 

That was not all. After the now-legendary Incheon Battle during their Bonamana and No Other promotions, the two felt even more alienated from each other, and sometimes, deep in the night, they wondered if they could ever return to what they were before; close, innocent, gullible to the horrors of the world. 

 

That was 5 years ago, however. In the most recent years, the members of Super Junior had enlisted in the army, one by one, and emerged as mature, strong-willed men who would do anything to keep their name in the spotlight and the mouths of the media. This, of course, included both Leeteuk and Heechul, who were willing to sacrifice any part of their souls and bodies in the name of Super Junior, but would rather die than to broadcast that fact.

 

Right now, the two men had a newly-established level of understanding and empathy for each other and what they had been through individually. To Heechul, however, it definitely was not enough to justify a new sub-unit to be born. 

 

Especially one that consisted of the two members with the most awkward relationship in the group.

 

“...So I did.” Was his short reply.

 

“Let’s make a song.” Leeteuk pressed on.

 

“Are you a parrot? Stop repeating yourself, I hate it when people do that.” He snapped, feeling his fingernails dig into his skin, which angered him further. Why is it always this guy that manages to get under my skin so easily? 

 

“You also hate it when people compliment you, but it happens. Deal with it.” Leeteuk knew that he was driving Heechul up a wall as he spoke, but a part of him couldn’t help but enjoy the knowledge that he was able to affect the latter in such a way that hardly anyone else could. 

 

In a sick way, he enjoyed being a ‘special person’ in that regard. And he was aware of it.

 

“If you are here to propose an idea, you don’t go around pissing people off. That is the number one rule when you are trying to make a living in society. I am surprised that you, of all people, are unaware of this fact, Leeteuk.” Hissing, Heechul spun on his feet and continued down the corridor. He had no time for this nonsense; his schedule was packed to the brim today, and God forbid that he waste another second with his infuriating leader.

 

Sensing that he was going too far with his little joke, Leeteuk raised his hands in surrender (although Heechul could not see it with his back turned), “Alright, alright, I was just pulling your leg, calm down. I am serious about it, though.”

 

Heechul stopped. Leeteuk could not help but smirk a little when he saw the brown mop of hair turn a little towards him.

 

“...Why?”

 

“What do you mean, why? Why not?”

 

“Why me?” 

 

“You’re a great singer, the fans love us together, and have been asking for a sub-unit for a while. Did you know that they burst the voting poll when management asked their opinions on a new sub-unit?” He tried to input as much sincerity into his voice as possible, going as far as to make his best puppy-dog eyes (even though Heechul still could not see it with his back turned). 

 

“...You think I’m a great singer?”

 

“Seriously? Was that all you got from it? You’re so full of yourself sometimes, Heenim.” Leeteuk huffed, blissfully unaware of his slip-up, which caused Heechul to whip his head back, and immediately suffer from a whip-lash.

 

“What did you just call me?” He rubbed his neck, his brain refusing to process the fact that Leeteuk just used an old nickname that he hadn’t heard in years, in such a casual manner too, that it was as if their old animosity was nothing but a dream.

 

Silence filled the corridor, as brown met brown. There was only a few metres of distance between them, but it felt as if the entire Indian Ocean lay between them. Such was the irreconcilability between two oldest members of Super Junior. That ached Heechul’s heart because he never intended for it to be that way. He had never wanted to defy Leeteuk, the member that he respected the most, nor wished for him to hate him, but reality always cuts, and cuts deep.

 

“...You are a great singer. That is a fact. Think about it, ok? I’m a text away if you are up for it and want to discuss in greater detail. Now go to your schedule, you’re ten minutes late.” 

 

Heechul watched as Leeteuk turned and sauntered away, leaving behind yet another chance to repair their broken friendship.