seolbo - unconditionally

to be one with the cosmos
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

WJSN SHIP: seolbo (seola x bona)
WORD COUNT: 8,867 
TITLE: unconditionally
GENRE: romance/fantasy/slight-angst

 

--

 

PROMPT:

 

In most fairy tales we read, the witch kidnaps the princess and the prince rescues her, but not in this story.

The princess has been abducted by the witch, but in an unexpectedly wholesome twist, the witch has spared the princess from an arranged marriage, leaving the princess feeling obligated to the witch. She assists her with housework, brewing, and running errands; gradually but surely, they fall in love with their unintentionally classic cottagecore way of life.

But the loss of the woman he was supposed to marry didn’t exactly make the prince feel overjoyed. Along with his loyal guards, they track the witch down, "save" the princess, and prepare for the witch’s execution. To save the witch and ensure their own happily ever after, the princess, who was full of wrath, fights her way through her family through a politically engaged betrayal.

 

--

 

Kim Jiyeon, who was born with blue blood and is admired by almost all the people, has almost all of the characteristics of a good leader. She’s kind, brave, confident, speaks her mind well, is confident with her beliefs, and takes pride in the way she presents herself to the public and in who she really is. For the past few years, she's been trained by the king and queen on how to rule their kingdom because she’s the only daughter they’ve had since her older sister passed away from a severe illness when she was only twelve years old. Jiyeon has, throughout the course of her life, held the conviction that she has a duty to prioritize her parents’ orders because she was told that they only want what’s best for her, so she’s currently taking part in a royal dinner with the prince and the king and queen of the kingdom, with whom her parents intend to form an alliance of strategic importance in order to expand their domain, make it even stronger, and of course, help their people through trading goods.

"My, my. How much time has passed since the last time I saw Princess Jiyeon? I can still remember the times when our guards used to catch her playing around that river that is close to the eerie forest," the queen questioned, after which she let out a quiet chuckle. "Indeed, she has developed into a really exquisite lady as she has grown older. She also resembles her late sister, your highness."

Jiyeon only gave the queen a brief smile before stealing a quick glance in her mother's direction and noticing that the moment her older sister was mentioned, she appeared to experience a certain amount of discomfort. However, the queen chose to disregard the comment altogether because she considered the royal dinner to be of greater significance than any other matter at the moment.

"That is true. Jiyeon was the most troublesome child when she was younger, and her older sister has always been there to take care of her, especially when both her father and I have been really busy with our royal duties," the queen agreed, chuckling too. "But if it's okay with you, may I also compliment Prince Dohwan? Even though it has been a long time since I've seen him, he seems to have grown both taller and more handsome in that time. I'm sure you must feel a great sense of pride in him because I've heard that he's been participating in and winning royal archery competitions recently."

Dohwan could only muster a sincere grin in response to the remark because his full attention was currently fixed on Jiyeon, the woman who would one day become his bride. The fact that the two royalties were supposed to have an arranged marriage in the next three months is the primary reason why the rulers of both kingdoms decided to have their very first meal together. Jiyeon had some concerns about the decisions that her parents made, but in her role as princess and as the person who will rule over their kingdom in the future, she made a deliberate choice to dwell on the fact that she’s only acting in this matter for the sake of her subjects, and of course, for the happiness of her parents, even though this required her to set aside how she truly felt.

"Ah, absolutely. My Dohwan triumphed in a recent archery duel against the crown prince of Yi. Following the event, we hosted a royal party where we offered the finest and most expensive wine to members of the royal family as well as guests of the palace."

Jiyeon was suffering from listener fatigue as she continued to take in their discussion. She is not the type of person who enjoys engaging in conversations about topics of this nature because it essentially consists of bragging about their royal children and the accomplishments they have attained over the years. She is the type of person who doesn't want to be known only for the beauty she possesses or the accomplishments she receives; rather, she wants to be known for the kind of person she is and the topics with which she has an enduring fascination. As soon as she had finished her meal, she politely excused herself and remarked that there were a few books in the palace library that she had been longing to read for a while now. Thankfully, her parents didn't even give it a second thought before letting her leave.

She lied to her parents and said that she went to the library at the palace, but she never actually went there. Instead, the princess sneaked out of the palace without the royal guards noticing her in order to avoid being caught. She wandered her way through the deepest part of the forest until she reached the river, which she had always felt unusually drawn to ever since she was a child. Jiyeon considered it one of the safest places to be, considering that she and her elder sister used to swim and hang out there when they were younger. The palace library was, of course, at the top of her list of safe places.

Jiyeon mumbled to herself, "Taeri unnie, I miss you a lot," as she gazed at the placid waters of the river. Before removing her shoes and putting her toes in the water, she emitted a muffled sigh of disappointment. Although it was quite chilly due to the fact that winter was going to arrive in less than a month's time, it was a really soothing environment.

"Could you possibly believe it? I'm getting married in three months," she continued to rant, despite the fact that she knew her sister wouldn't hear it. “I suppose that Prince Dohwan is a respectable person. However, I'm just not prepared for any of this at this time. What options do I have? It’s not just what mom and dad desire, but it’s also for the sake of our kingdom and the people who live here. But I really wish they had asked me how I felt about various things before ordering me around. That would have been much more empathetic. It seems a little bit unjust to me."

Silence.

The only sounds that can be heard are the gentle of the wind and the rustling of the leaves. Jiyeon let out another sigh as she contemplated the possibility that she ought to finally quit talking to nothing but the vast air surrounding her. But for an unfathomable reason, releasing all of the unpleasant thoughts that are hurting her helps her feel more at peace. Aside from that, she continues to hold the belief that her elder sister is constantly with her, just not physically.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but who are you speaking to?"

When Jiyeon heard a voice not more than a few feet away from her, she came dangerously close to dropping the shoes she was carrying. Turning her head in astonishment, she saw a girl who appeared to be around the same age and stared at her with a perplexed face. The princess was preoccupied with the question of how she could have missed hearing or seeing the approaching footsteps of the mysterious stranger, despite the fact that she was dressed in all black clothing and a blood red coat. She chose to overlook the fact that she seemed creepy too, despite how beautiful she looked under the moonlight and how her soft, doe eyes slowly pulled her in.

"Ah, did my arrival startle you? I’m sorry about that. I was walking home when I heard voices, and then I saw you here. You were drowning in your thoughts to even notice I was near," she explained as she gently scratched her nape. "I hope this question doesn’t offend you, but are you perhaps seeing things? Like, you know, entities."

Jiyeon was incapable of suppressing her feelings of embarrassment. Someone really witnessed her talking to nothing but air, and that someone is a peculiar yet gorgeous girl who apparently lives in the middle of the forest.

"I'm not, so please ignore that," Jiyeon said. "However, if I could ask, you stated that you were going to walk home. Do you reside within this area?"

“Yes,” the girl answered, beaming. “I live a few walks away from the river. If you go further, you’ll see a small hut made of bamboo and a chicken coop right beside it. There’s also a garden of various flowers on the front yard.

Jiyeon merely nodded. She is quite familiar with her surroundings since her mom taught her about the places in which she would rule, but she is either unaware of the fact that someone actually resides in the midst of the forest or has never heard of such a person. Knowing that there is a girl who lives there caused her a great deal of confusion since her parents had always cautioned her and her sister from venturing any farther into the location because of the risk it posed, and they had done so ever since she was a child. In any case, she appeared to be pleasant and outgoing; nonetheless, the princess could not shake the feeling that there was something off-putting about her.

The girl sat beside her and offered her a handshake.

"My name is Hyunjung; what’s yours?"

"Jiyeon," she answered while also extending her hand, which prompted a loud gasp from Hyunjung, who was taken aback by her reply.

"You’re the crowned princess."

Because Jiyeon's parents frequently engage in bragging about their daughter, she was under the impression that everyone would be familiar with her. It's not that she wanted anybody to recognize her; she just assumed they would. Since it’s quite clear that she will one day rule the kingdom as queen, it is almost obligatory for everyone to be aware of the person to whom they will be devoting the highest reverence in the not-too-distant future.

"I truly apologize. Your highness, do you feel that my response was insensitive to you? It's true that I've heard a lot of people talking about you, so I'm aware of who you are; nevertheless, this is the very first time I've seen your face, which is why I didn't immediately identify that you're a royal."

"Please don't feel bad about it. It doesn't bother me in the least. To tell you the truth, I would much rather meet with people who are completely unaware of who I am and what I do in life than those who already recognize me. I just believe it would be better if they liked me because I'm me and not because I'm the princess and everyone is expected to like and respect me."

"I want to know about the real you and your interests, then."

For Jiyeon, the night was unlike any other night she had ever experienced. Since the passing of her cherished sister many years ago, she has experienced true contentment for the first time in that period. Since she was able to observe Hyunjung in her natural state, her preconceived notions that she was creepy had completely vanished. They related stories to one another, and the princess was astonished to learn that they were both interested in almost the same things. Hyunjung was another person who enjoyed reading books, and she even mentioned how much she liked annotating them. Jiyeon wanted the girl to come with her to the palace library because there would be more books there than Hyunjung could ever read, but her parents weren't particularly supportive of the idea of having to let anybody who isn't royalty walk further into the palace unless it was for a crucial reason.

Jiyeon and Hyunjung engaged in a lengthy conversation, during which Hyunjung shared with Jiyeon her passion for gardening and revealed that she had spent the majority of her life devoted to tending to the garden. She had a life that was uncomplicated yet full of warmth, and the princess secretly harbored a desire to live like that herself.

"It’s getting pretty late. Won’t the king and queen notice you’ve been gone?" Hyunjung suddenly asked after having a good laugh with Jiyeon.

"Oh my, I lost track of the time! I’ll be going now, Hyunjung. But will I still see you again?"

"This is the only place you will ever find me."

The next morning, Jiyeon was given orders to meet Prince Dohwan in the garden of the palace so that the two of them could have breakfast together. She didn't want to come and even made up a bunch of reasons in her brain, but she was opposed to letting down the people around her, so she forced herself to get up and go. Now, she’s having an awkward conversation with her groom-to-be, and the prince seemed nonchalant about it.

Jiyeon was quiet for the most part, but she is someone who is highly observant, so she does her best to soak in everything that the prince talks about even if she doesn't speak much.

"What about you, your highness? What do you like to do?"

"Oh, I like reading."

The princess picked up on her observation that Prince Dohwan was on the verge of laughing at her remark very quickly. She got up from her seat and tried to offer the man a polite, modest smile as she did so, but truthfully, she was frustrated by the fact that the prince thought the thing that she enjoyed doing the most was something that was humorous.

"I'm going to head inside now," she said.

"Please accept my sincere apologies; have I hurt you in any way?" Jiyeon graciously declined Prince Dohwan's offer to take her towards the front door, despite the fact that he had extended the invitation.

"It’s alright; don’t worry about it. I would like to walk alone. Take care on your way back to the palace, your highness."

Throughout the entirety of the day, Jiyeon's primary concern was meeting with Hyunjung. Since the king and queen were in attendance at an important ceremony and since she was appointed to tend to the palace while they were gone, she has had a lot of errands to run. She also had her horse-riding lessons in the afternoon, which depleted her stamina quite a bit because her new instructor didn't really make it easy for her to cross a few obstacles. She also had her music class before supper, and pleasantly, she didn't screw up any of the keys on the piano like she did the last time she took it.

"Great work today, your highness. Your warm bath is ready. Make sure to get ready for bed after," one of the palace maids informed her. Jiyeon just smiled and thanked her before dismissing her.

Of course, Jiyeon didn’t exactly go to bed.

She snuck out of the castle once more by exiting through her bedroom window and carefully climbing down the brick wall that surrounded the building. Hyunjung didn’t lie when she said it was the only place Jiyeon could ever find her because the girl was beside the river with half of her legs dipped in the water. The princess beamed as she took in the scene and then grinned as she crept stealthily toward Hyunjung with the intention of surprising the latter.

"You’re not very silent upon your arrival, princess."

Jiyeon grumbled, "Oh, that's a bummer," as she sat down on the spot that was vacant next to Hyunjung. "I'm pleased to see you again. I missed you!"

"You… missed me?"

When Hyunjung was listening to the princess, she had a sensation in her stomach that was foreign to her. She did not know exactly why she had this feeling. Was it because she had spent her entire life alone and that this was the first time she had someone who could make her feel the warmth that she had been wishing to experience for such a significant amount of time? Or was it just due to the fact that she is Jiyeon, and she innately possesses the charms necessary to captivate the attention of others due to the fact that she was born this way?

"Of course! I'm not sure why, but being in the company of someone like you makes me feel really ecstatic. It's almost as if I can do whatever I want without fear of anyone judging me for it."

Hyunjung extended her arm and gave Jiyeon a gentle pat on the head.

"You seem restless. Have you had a stressful day?"

The princess complained, "Ugh, it really was a very stressful situation," as she said. "This morning, Prince Dohwan and I had breakfast together, and it was a really dull experience. He spent most of his time talking about himself, and all I did was sit and listen. I was able to catch him trying very hard not to laugh when I responded to his inquiry about my hobbies. What exactly is the joke about reading? Simply due to the fact that he has a strong athletic background. Anyway, in addition to that, I was given the responsibility of taking care of the palace while both of my parents were away. After lunch, I had lessons in horseback riding, and then, right before evening, I had music class with that demanding instructor. It was a lot of work!"

Hyunjung fought so hard not to smile because Jiyeon's complaining and ranting appeared so adorable.

"I’m sorry you had to go through all that. Well, now that you’re here, let me make you happy."

It was a lovely evening, and the moon was shining brightly in all of its splendor. Even though Hyunjung didn't really find anything enticing about her own property, she ultimately made the decision to accompany the princess to her cottage. The princess, on the other hand, lived in a very elegant castle, which is why Hyunjung wasn't very proud of her place. When Jiyeon saw the flowers that Hyunjung had grown, she felt an overwhelming sense of joy. There was a great deal of them, including tulips that are in full bloom as well as sunflowers, roses, lavender, daisies, peonies, carnations, and lavender. Jiyeon questioned how Hyunjung was able to produce such plants and have them in bloom despite the change in weather. Alternatively, Jiyeon considered the possibility that she just did not have sufficient understanding of plants.

Jiyeon also took a quick peek inside Hyunjung's chicken coop, where she found a number of healthy chickens snoozing on their own nests. This made her giggle.

"Thanks for bringing me here. It feels like home," Jiyeon stated.

"Don’t you feel at home in your fancy palace? I’ve heard you also have maids serving you, bringing you meals, preparing your baths, and even making all the beautiful dresses you wear. You can eat anything you like, too. That sounds more like home to me."

The princess sighed.

"You should realize that it's not quite as good as it sounds. Being a member of a royal family is not enjoyable. You have to have a decent appearance, be able to talk well, follow in the footsteps of the king and queen, eventually control a vast kingdom, not make mistakes, and even worse, marry a prince you hardly know and don't even love just so you may strengthen the links between other kingdoms and make it grow larger for the sake of your people. Where exactly is the comfort in that?"

Hyunjung was taken aback. The princess, who was almost perfect and loved by all, doesn’t like the life that was given to her.

They never spoke again after the unforgettable evening that they shared together. Hyunjung waited and waited at the same spot where Jiyeon had come to see her, believing that Jiyeon must have been preoccupied with her royal responsibilities, but she never showed up. Hyunjung eventually g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter