Chapter 1

The Nearness of You
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

 

The melodious sound of the door chime always brought her passing peace, while it offered the café potential money.  The sweet aroma of the coffee beans was the main ambiance, but Aria was fond of appreciating the smaller things—the cups clanking against saucer plates, footsteps against the mahogany floor, and even the small taps from the laptop keyboard of customers within her earshot. It wasn’t a big, fancy café and that is exactly why she loved it there. It was simple, homey, and peaceful.

Aria sipped on her Americano.

The momentary tranquility passed by so soon when she received an email on her phone.

 

Ms. Aria Kim,

 

We are appreciative of your efforts in applying as a Language Specialist in our office. However, while we were impressed with your qualifications, we have decided to move forward with other applicants whose skills and experience better meet our needs at this time.

 

We wish you luck with your job search.

 

Even though this was not the first rejection letter she read for the past week—month, rather—a sigh still escaped her lips. It was one of the many companies she applied for and she really hoped to have a shot at this one, but she understood clearly why they decided a refusal.

“I cannot believe you’re very unenthusiastic today.” A girl wearing the café’s uniform interrupted as she placed down a box of cookies on Aria’s table.

Aria slid her phone back into her bag and she offered a gentle smile to her younger sister, Haera. “These look really good, Haera. Thank you.”

“I’m not talking about the cookies!” Haera propped herself onto a chair, “I would literally die if I were in your shoes right now. Today’s your first day to teach the KPOP princes!”

Aria chuckled, “Of course, I am very thankful for this opportunity. This is all thanks to papa. But you know that this is just temporary and after that… it will all go back to the way it was.”

Haera knew that her gentle sister always tried to ensure everyone that she was fine, but she had this ability to notice even the slightest sadness on her tone.

“We don’t know that yet.” She encouraged, “You’re very smart, hardworking, and kind. Way too kind for your own good sometimes. I’m sure this will be the start for a change. A good one at that.”

Her sister was five years younger than Aria, but despite her childish demeanor at times, she knew exactly how to give her comfort. “Thank you, Haera.” She then extended her hand, motioning the younger sibling to hand over something.

“What?”

“I promised, didn’t I? I’ll get your Stray Kids album signed.”

A squeal escaped Haera’s tiny body, making the other people in the café look. “You’re the best! Wait here, I’ll get it from my locker!”

“Silly girl.” Aria muttered under her breath as she watched Haera practically skip into the staff lounge.

The bell at the door chimed again, and this time it was her father who walked in.

“Aria, I’m sorry for being late. It was quite busy today.”

“It’s fine, papa. It’s just five minutes past three, you’re not very late.”

Her father, Kim Yang-Jin, has been the company driver of the famous entertainment and record label company, JYP Entertainment. It was all because of him that she landed a job as a private tutor for one of the hottest KPOP boy group for the last three years, Stray Kids. She wasn’t a very big fan of KPOP, but she knew more senior groups like Red Velvet, Twice, and DAY6. Though her younger sister was gung-ho about the boys and will continue to be for the next five to ten years. She learned from Haera as well that they call themselves “Stay”.

“Well, if you’re ready, we can go now. The kids are back in their dorm.”

‘The Kids’. It made Aria happy how fond her father was of these boys. Though she never met them before, it felt like her father added sons to their family tree.

“I’m just waiting for Haera to—”

“Unnie!!! Here it is!”

The girl came sprinting out of the staff room, holding her treasured Stray Kids album. This has caused their father to sigh.

“Haera,” he said in a reprimanding tone, “What have I told you about this?”

She pouted.

“Papa~ But she said she’ll get this signed. And this is just not any album! This is their first album and unnie bought this for me when it came out, so it’s very special.”

Haera had her father ask the idols to sign her other posters and albums, and he was getting quite embarrassed at this point. Aria found it funny that he still came home with these merchandise signed despite the obvious dismay. These idols must really care a lot for their fans, and she appreciated that they get to reciprocate her sister’s undying love.

“Don’t worry about i

Please log in to read the full chapter