Lucky Hojong Vers

Lucky

*H O J O N G

It was no surprise to everyone in school that Sungjong was back on the market again. Rumours had it that he ended it with boyfriend of 4 months, Jung Heechul. Nobody knows what really happened between them. Some say that Heechul cheated on Sungjong, some say Sungjong liked someone else. It was just a myriad of rumours going around. And nobody would know the truth.

You might ask, "How does Lee Howon fit in all of this?" Well, it's simple. He's Sungjong's best friend, as well as the one who told him to date Heechul. In fact, he's the one who usually hooks Sungjong up with all these people. And yet, almost 95% of the time, Sungjong's relationships end. Anybody who sees this would believe Sungjong to be the unluckiest guy on earth, but that's Howon's job. 

"Don't sweat it. It wouldn't have worked out, anyways." Sungjong says, as he pats his close friend on the back. He shrugs nonchalantly, as if breaking up was a completely normal thing for him. Which, it technically was. He never discloses the real information of why Sungjong breaks up with his boyfriends and or girlfriends. He just gives Howon the same reason and he accepts it for the most part. 

"But I feel like it's all my fault." Howon lays down on his bed as he hears Sungjong shuffling around his in room, moving over to sit at his desk chair. He hears the squeaky noise of the swivel chair and sits back up, staring at his friend. "Maybe I can hook you up with someone else? How about... Kim Sunggyu?"

Sungjong raises an eyebrow of judgment and stares hard. "Already dated him. Remember?" Howon blinks confused, before the memory replays in his head. He laughs awkward, before thinking of someone else. "Wu Yifan?" Sighing to himself, he launches one of the plushies on the floor at his friend, hitting him square in the chest. Hoya retaliates by throwing it back, but Sungjong dodges it, chuckling.

"He likes D.O. now. And before you go any further, so does Kim Jongdae and Kim Joonmyun. I don't even wanna hear it, but don't even say Son Dongwoon, Amber Liu. Actually, I'll just stop right there. I don't want to date anyone, Howon. Why are you so bent on me not being single?" Sungjong questions, still swiveling in the chair. 

"If anything, you've been single for a long time. I should be setting you up with people. What about that Yura girl? What's her real name again? Kim... " He holds his face in between his palms and thinks to himself, before snapping back up. "Kim Ahyoung, right! I think she likes you. Oh! What about—" 

He's cut off when Howon abruptly stands up and towers over him. "She can like me all she wants—I don't like her. Don't ever say that again." He realizes how he probably came off as and rubs the back of his neck, as he awkwardly stares at the ground. Sungjong catches a small, mumbled "Sorry" from the other, as he sits back down.

Sungjong swallows the lump in his throat and exhales a breath he didn't know he was holding. He's never seen his friend like that before. It actually terrified him. "Sorry. No Yura, got it.... How about—" He's cut off again and Howon shakes his head. "Can we just not talk about this? I don't feel like dating anyone. I just..." He pauses as he makes eye contact with Sungjong and shrugs his shoulders. "I just don't care enough." But he knows better. He knows Lee Howon and he's definitely sure that he meant to say something else. He'd find out, eventually.

The next day, Howon's been avoiding Sungjong and the latter definitely notices, but he decides not to voice out his annoyance with the older. Howon does a pretty decent job at avoiding the other, but unfortunately, his next class is with said person, so he decides to get there early and sit far in the back. Sungjong's certainly not surprised that the other is ignoring him, so when he enters the classroom and sees his friend all the way in the back, he turns away and sits next to the nearest person who just happens to be someone named Minwoo; he usually goes by T.K., though.

Said person smiles up at Sungjong and moves his thing from the seat to let Sungjong sit down. He's completely unaware of someone burning holes into the back of his head, but Sungjong sees it all. He doesn't know why Howon would be acting like this. He chose to ignore him, he chose to sit in the back; it wasn't his fault. If he was going to act like an , then so be it. Sungjong wasn't going to put up with his bull. 

"Umm... Sungjong-sshi..." He turns to the owner of the voice and tilts in his head in confusion. "Is something wrong, T.K.-sshi?" The blonde shakes his head, but then pauses. T.K. coughs into his fist awkwardly before speaking up again. "Actually... your friend. Hoya, right? He's been glaring at me and it's uncomfortable..."

Sungjong's smile falls off his face and he turns behind them to look at Howon, before the other just so happens to turn away. He furrows his eyebrows together and turns back to T.K and smiles apologetically. "I'm sorry about him. He's an . I don't know what's up with him today. Sometimes, I just want to punch him in the face, ugh."

Sungjong's seatmate laughs and nods his head. "I understand where you're coming from. Kinda. My boyfriend is like that, too. When he sees me with other people. Stop me if I'm wrong, but I think Hoya-ssi likes you very much, Sungjong-ssi." At the other's suggestion, Sungjong bursts out into laughter. "Yeah. That's really funny, but I doubt he'd like me. Why else would he try to set me up with a dozen people?"

T.K. pauses in thought and shrugs his shoulders. "Because he's trying to bury his feelings down for you, he's trying to get you to not be single. As a way of not confessing. At least, that's the way I see it." He receives a bright smile from the other. "I usually don't pry into other people's business. Especially love lives. But... do you like him, Sungjong-ssi?"

Being asked that question really stumped Sungjong. He hadn't really thought about it before. Usually, he was just so bent on having to date the people that his friend set him up with. He never really thought about the possibility of liking Howon. They were the best of friends. Sungjong was beautiful for a male. And Howon was handsome. So why shouldn't they not date? 

He thought about the things the older would do for him, with him. It made sense now. If Howon liked him, then of course he would ignore him and act jealous when Sungjong tried to set him up with someone. It all made sense now; everything was so clear. Turning towards the other, he began smiling and bowed his head in thanks. "You really opened my eyes on this, T.K-ssi."

"No problem. Barom hyung always did say I was almost like cupid. But well, he said I'm "infinitely times more cuter than a flying baby", which I hit him for using bad grammar... Uhh, anyways. How do you plan on confessing to him?" T.K asked curiously. How was he going to accomplish this? He absolutely had no idea where to begin in the first place. It wasn't going to be easy since Howon kept avoiding him. 

Sungjong smiles coyly, gesturing for the other to lean closer. "How would you like to help me out? I think I have a plan, but I really need help with this." T.K begins smiling and nods his head. "I'll help, definitely. And if we need anymore help, I know a few people."

By the end of the week, Howon has officially avoided Lee Sungjong. It was hard work, but he did it. He couldn't lie when he felt a little disappointed that the younger had stopped trying to talk to him just that Monday. Was he a terrible friend? Maybe. Sungjong would get over it... or would he?

His bad thoughts led to another and then another and then another, until he was snapped out of his reverie by a letter ed into his hands. Gasping slightly, he looked up towards the owner and furrowed his eyebrows when he came face to face with the one he was currently despising: Lee Minwoo, or T.K.

"Ummm. This is for you. It's not from me, though. I'm just a delivery boy, so don't get angry at me, please..." The quiet, but slightly deep voice murmurs before walking off, breathing a sigh of relief when he turns a corner. Howon just an eyebrow at the empty space that was left by the male. He remembers the letter and unfolds it, trying to read its contents.

    "My dearest hyung, Howonnie

You're an and I hope you know that. Although, I know you can't help it, you're still my best friend. This might be strange, but you probably don't want to be my best friend anymore, is that correct? Ah, I understand completely. Rather, I know you like me, hyung. It's a little obvious... Okay, actually, earlier this week T.K was telling me about the way you look at me and the glares you sent his way. That means you like me, right? At least, I think it does... Am I rambling, hyung, sorry? I just hope that you'll realize that I like you, too, and I read the signs right. If you actually want to reciprocate my feelings, follow the directions that my friends give you. I hope you do, hyung.

                                                  Love, Sungjongie

Howon has to double check what he was currently reading; his eyes had definitely widened in shock. Was this really real? Is this really happening? Did Sungjong just confess to him? The feelings were reciprocated... and yet, he's been acting like the biggest on the planet. To his best friend, to his crush. He felt so terrible, but just the thought of Sungjong waiting for him, somewhere. It gave him hope.

Looking to his left and then looking to his right, he found that he was alone in the halls. Sighing to himself, Howon starts walking towards the cafeteria. His eyes wander everywhere restlessly; he's waiting for the signs. He's about to just give up altogether when a voice calls out to him. "Hoya-ssi! There you are!"

Tilting his head, he looks at the young female. "You don't recognize me, Hoya? Well, screw you, too. It's Kyungri, you ?" He pauses slightly before he steps closer to look at the female. Realization dawns on his face and he nods slightly. "S-sorry, you just look different with that new hair color and all..."

Rolling her eyes, she passes him a note card before waving him off and heading into the direction of the cafeteria.

    "A R T R O O M"

His mind wanders to the memories of the art room. Memories of Sungjong and him fooling around in there, splaying canvas after canvas with paint, ditching their classes to go there instead. No wonder he chose that place, but what could possibly be in there? Surely, Sungjong wouldn't just be in there first.

Howon pushes open the door to the artroom and sighs when he realizes that Sungjong wasn't in there. He did notice someone else across the room with their head down on the table and light snores could be heard emitting from the other person. Making his way over, he lightly and gently nudged the sleeping stranger with his rough hands and soon the stranger awoke, sitting upright immediately with a look of bewilderment.

 "Oh, Hoya-ssi, it's just you." The stranger answered nonchalantly, as a yawn escaped past his lips. He was about to lay his head down again when he looked at the package sprawled before him and it was almost as if a lightbulb had gone off. "Oh crap, you're looking for this, aren't you? Sorry. I just like sleeping. Sleep is... good for the soul. Anyways, have fun, Hoya-ssi." 

Howon took the package with slight disgust as he eyed the drool spots on the package. He took one last look at the stranger, who oddly reminded him of a chipmunk or something. Wasn't there somebody in there grade like that? Henli? Henry or something? Whatever, it was close enough. 

Carefully maneuvering the brown package so he didn't touch the drool spots, he managed to get the item out after much difficulty. He raised an eyebrow at how all he managed to find was a guitar pick under all that newspaper — What a waste, he thought. Huffing to himself, he wandered off to the next destination.

"B A N D R O O M"

Groaning out loud, Howon dragged himself all the way across the school to the band room. Gripping the handle of the doorknob, he turns it and pushes the door open. Immediately, he wants to slap himself in the face for the umphteenth time that day. Sungjong never made things easy for him, even if they were best friends and all. 

"Someone looks peeved. in a twist or something...?" A voice speaks up from the trio that was already in the room. Howon recognizes the one that spoke as Jung Daehyun — someone that ticked him off for no apparent reason. Sitting in a chair to his left was Lee Minwoo, or T.K, or whatever he was called — the same one he was glaring at for a good amount of time just for chatting happily and sitting next to Sungjong. Even though it was technically his fault that Sungjong had to sit next to T.K. And finally, the last kid that he recognizes is Do Kyungsoo — some quiet, doe-eyed kid who he just realized still goes to this school.

"You're... friends with Sungjong, right? I'm just here for whatever it is you have to give me, so I can hurry up and get to him." Howon says in a voice full of impatience. Daehyun snorts back a laughter and gestures for Kyungsoo to hand over a piece of paper. The doe-eyed kid pauses for a second, before he begins digging through his bag and pulls out a neatly folded paper from a cream colored folder. Just as Daehyun is about to hand it over, he quickly pulls his hand back and laughs in Howon's face.

A scowl makes its way onto his face and he's full out glaring at said kid. "Give it here. Now." Daehyun raises an eyebrow before he passes the paper to T.K. "Or what, Hoya-ssi? What will you do? Nothing that's what. You can't do anything to us or else you don't get to Sungjong." He stands up and now he's face to face with Howon. They're basically having a staredown until T.K clears his throat and motions for Kyungsoo to intervene. T.K would have done something, but he's still slightly afraid of Howon. Poor, sweet Kyungsoo slides himself between Howon and Daehyun and attempts to push them away from each other, which actually works, surprising both Howon and Daehyun because the doe-eyed kid doesn't look all too masculine.

"Lee How—" "Daehyun!" Kyungsoo shouts, cutting the obnoxious boy off. He gestures with his eyes for the other boy to go sit down and cool off. Kyungsoo waits until the other sits down with a huff before he turns to Howon with a reassuring smile on his face. "I'm sorry about Daehyun — he's very protective of his cousin." Howon's eyes must have bulged out wide because T.K and Kyungsoo burst out into little fits of laughter.

"Did you not know that? Sungjong and Daehyun are cousins. Well, anyways, back to the matter at hand..." Clearing his throat, Kyungsoo sticks his hand out to T.K and accepts the folded paper without a second thought. He continues holding onto it and doesn't give it Howon just yet. "I — or rather we, need to know if you're serious about Sungjong. He's someone dear to our hearts and we know you're his best friend and all, but we can easily separate him from you in the blink of an eye, Hoya-ssi... So tell us. Do you truly like Lee Sungjong?"

Not even missing a beat, Howon instantly replies. "Yes, I do." He pauses and then continues on, seeing as how they didn't interrupt him. "He makes me happy and he makes me smile, or when I'm sad and he'll try to cheer me up and it oddly works. I like that about him. His laugh, his smile, his everything. We're best friends, but if I continue going on as just friends, I think I'm going to burst from my feelings for him. T—that's why I tried to set him up with people. So it'd try to cancel the feelings I have for him knowing that he's already taken. Too bad, since it never worked... So yes, I truly like Lee Sungjong. Heck, I might even fricken love him. Who knows? I probably do."

The little speech of Howon's make T.K and Kyungsoo smile widely, while it actually seems to be affecting Daehyun, as well. Kyungsoo looks to him and Daehyun shrugs his shoulders waving him off with his hand. The doe-eyed king enthusiastically hands Howon the paper and wishes him good luck on his journey to love, while T.K also does the same. Nodding his head slightly, Howon starts grinning and he pivots on his heel and makes his way for the exit. Just as he's about to leave, Daehyun calls out from behind him. "Good luck, Lee Howon! — If you make Sungjong upset again, I'll skin you alive!"

Howon scoffs to himself, keeping that in mind before he's unfolding the paper and scanning over the words quickly. The rooftop

"R O O F T O P"

He uses his energy to jog up the stairway that leads to the rooftop. With an exaggerated , he pushes open the door and frantically searches for Sungjong. He sees the object of his affection and smiles. Calming himself down, he tries to still his heartbeat to a normal pace and remind himself to not do anything brash. Quietly, he struts over to Sungjong and stops just before him. The other seems to sense the other because his fists are clenched tight that his knuckles turn white from the force of pressure. Sungjong turns around to fully face Howon and the older can't read the expression of the other at all. And usually, he can. After all, they are best friends. — But he finds it odd that he can't right now.

"You came..." was all that Sungjong said before he unclenched his fists and sighed. He seemed to be contemplating something, before he looks at anywhere but Howon's eyes. The older's gaze softens and the paper from his hand drops to the floor of the rooftop before he pulls the other into a bone-crushingly tight hug. — One that held promises of love and protection and warmth. Something that Howon wished he could say he'd do for Sungjong, but the words just get stuck in his throat. 

"I—I'm sorry." Howon buries his face in the crook of Sungjong's neck, his nose brushing against the other's soft, smooth skin. Sungjong has to admit that it tickles when his best friend starts talking because he's muffled by his neck. It doesn't mean Sungjong doesn't like it, though. Heck, he loves it. 

"Sungjong. I just—I don't know what I can say to you for you to accept my apology. I just want you to know that I'm truly sorry for the way I treated you this past week. It's just the accumulation of seeing you with other people being all buddy-buddy with that it gets me jealous. — I get that I shouldn't be jealous because I'm your best friend. I want to be your best friend, but not only that... I want—I want to be someone more to you. I want to be your boyfriend. I want to take care of you and love you and hold you and take you out on dates. I don't want other people taking you out on dates. I'm so sorry I made you go on those when you probably didn't even want to half the time, if not all. Pleeeease, forgive me, Sungjong? I'll do anything. I just want my Sungjong. My Lee Sungjong." 

How he managed to get all of that out, Howon honestly doesn't know. The feelings just came rushing out and he couldn't stop talking and he honestly didn't want to stop. He'd confess nonstop to Sungjong if it meant that he'd listen to him constantly. He's breathing heavy after his long speech that he doesn't even realize that Sungjong is hugging him back, his arms wrapped around his back. 

A laugh erupts from Sungjong's mouth and Howon pulls away to look at him with a look of surprise. "You're not going to cry, are you Howonnie? Shouldn't that be my job?" He's stunned for a moment before Howon breaks out into a smile, as well. "Does that mean you forgive me, Sungjong?"

"I guess, hyung."

"Does that mean you also accept my feelings?"

"Technically, I confessed to you first."

"So am I hearing a yes, Jongie?"

"Yes, you're hearing a yes..."

"Good, that's all I need to know."

Howon breaks out into a wide grin before he places his hands on both sides of Sungjong's face, cupping his cheeks and leans in close. "I must be lucky if my best friend turns into my boyfriend." He closes the minimal space between them, as he kisses Sungjong. They pull apart and they lean their foreheads against each other. Howon's still smiling like an idiot, while Sungjong's trying hard to keep the grin off his face. 

"You're an idiot, Howon. But I guess that's why I like you."


Author's note: Wow, okay. Hi guys! I finally finished the first oneshot after a little over a year? I am the greatest writer ever if I can do that.... LMFAO JK. I , PLEASE DON'T TAKE AFTER ME. It's just I've been a slump for a long time that writing fics just didn't appeal to me anymore that I had to go and try new things. But then I had an inkling for fanfics, but nobody ever writes about my favorite pairings, so I have to write my own. ; n ; / CRIES / It's okay. I'll be your rare pair author! AHAHAHA. HOJONG, GYUJONG, WOOJONG. For Infinite, anyways. I also write Exo - or rather, I'm starting to. I've only written Suho x Kyungsoo... and I'm probably only gonna write that, Kris x Kyungsoo, and Chen x Kyungsoo. And Tao x Kyungsoo BFFery. c: So anyways, enjoy this HOJONG ONESHOT. BECAUSE ISTG. I WILL FINISH GYUJONG AND WOOJONG ONESHOTS LATER THIS YEAR.