One

The Last Time (Two-Shot)

 

“Oh. You’re back.” 
 
“Yeah. Why do you seem upset?”
 
Oh Hae, you’re so clueless. “I’m not. How come you’re back?”
 
“… I got a vacation. Are you sure you’re ok?”
 
I nodded. He just smiled. He really is clueless.
Ever since he got popular in the music industry, this is how things have always been. He would leave for weeks, months, and I would be here working three jobs just to afford this condo. 
I don’t know why I was so stupid before. Why did I even agree to this? Because I was an idiot and in love.
 
“Let’s run away.”
 
“W-what?”
 
Was Donghae really asking me to run away with him? I can’t believe this, of course I will! I will do anything for him.
 
“Run away. Get a condo. I can work on my music career.” He said, a confident smirk on his face.
 
“B-but, what would I do?” I asked. 
 
“Well, we need someone to work to support the condo right? And we need someone who will cook and clean. You should do it, so I can concentrate on my music.”
Who cares if I have to do all that? I will be together with Donghae, my love, and helping him accomplish his dream. Even if mine doesn’t come true, it’s ok. My new dream now is to make him happy.
 
Maybe he will finally return my feelings. Of course, if I do this, he will love me for sure!
“Ok. Let’s do it!”
 
He smiled and ruffled my hair. “Let’s go pack then!” 
 
That was a year and three months ago. The first couple of months were fine. We got along really well, and he was working on his album. I didn’t mind working the three jobs because I thought he appreciated it, even though he didn’t say anything. 
 
But a month before he debuted, things got different. He was irritable, and grumpy. He would stay home all day, eating all the food and making a huge mess. And I had to come back from my jobs and clean it all. I had to cook more too, because he was always hungry. I gave him my dinner some nights, because he would complain that I never made enough. 
 
Then after he debuted, things got worse. He was almost never home. I was alone, in this huge condo. I asked him if I could move into a smaller cheaper one; since he was never home anyway. 
 
“Donghae oppa. I was thinking… you know since you’re never home anyway, if I could just get a cheaper apartment…”
 
He looked up from stuffing his face with strawberry pudding. “You’re kidding me right?”
 
I sighed and sat next to him.  
 
“But oppa, all these jobs are just hard. I could probably quit one if I didn’t have to pay for this condo and-“
 
“Do you think that I, a pop star that is rising in popularity, should stay in a little apartment? Even though I don’t come home often, when I do, I deserve this for the work I do. Do you think it’s easy being in the music industry? Stop being selfish.”
 
I played with my fingers and pouted. “You’re right. I’m being selfish. I’m sorry.”
 
I expected him to ruffle my hair and tell me it was okay, and flash that beautiful smile of his. 
But he just grunted and turned his attention back to his pudding. I sighed again.
 
“You know, if you keep sighing, you’re going to run out of happiness.”
 
I looked up in shock. That was the first non-work related sentence he told me in months.
I smiled and got up, to prepare dinner. But I soon frowned again. What if I already ran out of happiness?
 
But that’s not the least of it. 
One night I told him I would be working late. But then it turns out I didn’t have to, so I came home early. I forgot to tell him that, he still thought I was working late.
 
I was in my bedroom, and it was around midnight. I was getting ready for bed, when I heard footsteps. I thought it was Donghae, so I got up to greet him. But then I heard a girl giggle…
 
Did he bring a girl home? I started feeling sick in my stomach. He couldn’t do that to me…
 
I walked out in the hallway. Donghae and the girl must’ve already gone in his bedroom. I put my ear to his door and just listened. At first I only heard the sound of sheets moving, but then I heard that obnoxious giggle.  
 
Then it turned into moans- and various other things. I put my hand on my mouth to stop the sobs that were threatening to come out.
 
How could he do this to me? I never told him I loved him, but he must’ve felt it. I admit, I can be obvious.
 
Suddenly I heard the girl speak. “Donghae, didn’t you say you lived with a girl here? Is she you’re girlfriend?”
 
Yes, Donghae! Tell her I’m your girlfriend and kick her out! If he wants this type of pleasure, I could give it to him… I could…
 
“She’s not my girlfriend. The only reason why I wanted her here was to cook and clean. She’s like my maid.”
“Are you sure?” The girl asked.
 
“Neh, noona. I like girls like you more. The ones that actually take care of themselves, and make themselves look pretty. She doesn’t even wear makeup.”
 
…I’ve heard enough. I ran back into my room and flopped on my bed, not even trying to hide the sobs.
 
That’s it? I’m only a ing maid to him? After all the I did for him, he says that… I thought he would love me! Why doesn’t he love me?
 
I did everything! I’m there for him to talk to, we’ve been friends since childhood, and not to mention I ran away from the chance of going to a university just to support his music. I cooked, cleaned, everything. 
 
I could make myself look pretty, but I don’t. I save my money to buy his food. To clean this house, I need cleaning supplies! Not to mention bills. Also, if I didn’t have to wake up at 4 in the morning and get home at 8 at night, I would have time.
 
But I didn’t think I needed makeup for him to love me. I thought he’d appreciate all the things I did for him…
I guess not…
 
you, Lee Donghae. 
 
 
That was only a couple weeks ago. That morning both the girl and Donghae were gone. I haven’t seen him until now.  
 
 
“How long is your vacation?” I asked, pretending to be interested. I couldn’t care less. I just want him to leave again. Whenever I look at him, I feel the same sick feeling in my stomach, the one I felt that night he broke my heart.
 
“A month,” He said happily. I dropped the plate I had in my hand, and it shattered on the ground.
 
“What the hell is wrong with you?” He said, cursing as he got the dustpan and broom. 
 
He held it in front of my face, expecting me to grab it from him. 
 
After a minute, he sighed. “Aren’t you going to-“
 
“Do you really want to know what the hell is wrong with me, Donghae?”
 
He paused, lowering the dustpan. He set the broom next to the table.
 
“I asked you if you were upset when I first got home. But sure, tell me.” He said, grinning so sarcastically, I wanted to slap him right there.
 
“Well, let’s see. Maybe it’s because I gave up my dream of going to a university. Just so I can come with you here. And what do I do here? Work my off at three jobs, come home, and clean. I’m always alone, I’m so lonely. Whenever you are here, you treat me like . You don’t ever say ‘thank you’, and you know what? I never wanted you too. But it would’ve been nice. And the worst part? I was so in love with you. But you only like pretty girls Donghae. You only like girls that aren’t maids, like the one you brought home that night.”
 
He didn’t say anything for a while. But then he groaned. “You were there that night?”
 
What kind of question is that? “Of course I was, you idiot! I heard you and her. I heard everything.”
 
He didn’t respond. He just stood there with this blank expression. Realizing he wasn’t going to respond anytime soon, I grabbed the dustpan and broom and shoved them at his chest. 
 
“Now you get to clean. It won’t make up for the year and three months I’ve been cleaning after you, but it’ll do.”
 
_________________________________________________
 
Ok some of you might be wondering, "wth? This is a romance story?" Just wait guys... just wait ;)