(mintomi) farewell

hiistories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a warm sunny Saturday. Usually, on weekends, Minju would be lying in bed, lazing around till her husband finished cooking breakfast, then the newly-wed couple would share breakfast together. But today, her husband was out of town on a business trip. Alone and bored, she decided to go take a walk outside, and that’s how she ended up sitting on a park bench looking at kids playing in the sandbox.

“Hello, Minju.” 

When she looked up, she wasn’t expecting to see the smiling face of Honda Hitomi. It’s been a while since they had last talked. When was it exactly? When they broke up a year ago? When she informed her of her marriage? It was three months ago so was more recent.

Minju was feeling awkward because she was one who asked for the break-up, the one who ended a perfectly healthy and happy relationship. In contrast, Hitomi looked relaxed, even happy to see her ex who unilaterally cut ties with her. 

“How have you been?” The Japanese said as she took seat at the other end of the bench. 

“Fine” busy moving into new place but Minju held her tongue. She didn’t want to make things more awkward, at least for herself. “How about you?”

“I’m doing okay, I guess,” Hitomi shrugged. She was sporting shoulder-length purple hair which complemented her fair skin, Minju thought. “You look great with that hair.”

“Thank you,” Hitomi looked satisfied, and that somehow eased Minju’s nerves a little bit.

“How’s marriage? Does he treat you well?” 

Here came the question Minju had been dreading. She gulped and unable to continue looking into those brown eyes, she diverted her gaze to the ground. “It’s been great so far. Yes, he treat me well. He’s a good man.”

“I’m glad to hear that.”

When Minju looked up, Hitomi was staring at her with warm eyes, the smile never leaving her face. She looked so soft and angelic and forgiving that waves of guilt kept rising and rising inside Minju’s chest till she couldn’t take anymore.

“T-Tomi, I’m so sorry. Sorry for breaking your heart, sorry for being a jerk. You deserve so much better, someone better than me.”

“What are you apologizing for?”

“I-”

“For falling out of love? It’s not something you can control, is it? Remember when I asked you ‘Why did you fall for me?’, you said ‘I don’t know, it just happened’.” That memory brought a warm feeling to Minju. When she nodded, the other continued, “Like you can ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter