and i might be okay

you, my fall

Jang Wonyoung doesn't remember a life without An Yujin. 

 

Quite literally. 

 

It was a given with how their parents were the closest friends - and next door neighbors too, at that. 

 

So, Wonyoung had practically known the girl all her life, Yujin was just a year older than her after all. 

 

(“It's just 11 months and 30 days!” is how Wonyoung argues every time Yujin tries to use the 'I’m older' card on her) 

 

It's sort of funny too, how all of the memories that Wonyoung has, good or bad (the first one a lot more than the second) have always had Yujin involved in them somehow. 

 

Neither of them had siblings so it was only natural for the two of them to stick with each other throughout everything - be it hanging out, studying, going to school, spending vacations, sharing secrets, visiting the new cafés, pulling pranks on their friends - everything. 

 

For Wonyoung, things have always come naturally when it's with Yujin. 

 

Like when those boys back in first grade and Yujin was the first person she turned to, crying and going on about how she had the worst first day at school (and Yujin was furious, made sure the boys learnt a lesson and never bothered Wonyoung again)

 

Or when Wonyoung placed first in a cooking competition in 5th grade, and Yujin was the first person to see her trophy. She even treated her to ice cream that day with her own pocket money. (Wonyoung had lost count of how many times Yujin said, “I'm so proud of you Wony!” that day) 

 

Or that time when Wonyoung caught a flu in 8th grade and although it wasn't that serious, Yujin stayed by her side until the moment she recovered fully (She refused to go home even if her house was right next door)

 

Oh, or that time when Yujin and Wonyoung shared their first kiss together. 

 


 

It was the night of her date. 

 

It was not one of her and Yujin's numerous random (platonic) dates, the thought of which alone made Wonyoung dread the night ahead of her.

 

Seoyun, one of the boys in her class (captain of the school football team, bleached hair, certain girls swooning over him for doing the bare minimum - that typical highschool guy) asked her out on a date. 

 

That had been happening a lot lately, and Wonyoung honestly never understood the reason why. She was asked out on dates or confessed to at least five times a month (Wonyoung wishes she was exaggerating) and although she never said yes to anyone, always apologising profusely before saying she wasn't interested, it still confused her as to why people liked her at all. 

 

( “Wony you're like, the prettiest girl in the school. Of course they want to take you on dates” Yujin had told her on one of their countless sleepovers. 

 

“But you're the prettiest” Wonyoung had replied, eyebrows etched together, speaking her thoughts. 

 

And it was true, Yujin had her fair share of suitors too, of course. 

 

“Well” Yujin had shrugged. “You're the prettiest to me”

 

Wonyoung grinned then, “Too bad for them I only like going on dates with you”

 

Yujin had smiled. 

 

A soft "Me too" followed) 

 

The only reason Wonyoung agreed to this date was because 1) This was Seoyun's fourth time asking her in this week alone and 2) Her friends (that did not include Yujin) had practically forced her to say yes. 

 

(Wonyoung could still hear Gaeul's “You never know unless you try!” in her head) 

 

When she had asked Yujin for a suggestion, the girl had simply turned to her and said, “Maybe you should go Wony. He doesn't look like he's going to give up easily so might as well give it a try, right? And in case anything goes wrong, I'm just one call away, you know that”

 

And that was that. 

 

To her surprise, the date wasn't too bad. Seoyun had taken her out to a nice restaurant where they (he) talked (Wonyoung listened) about different things. And the food was good too. So really, Wonyoung didn't have much to complain about. 

 

That was until he dropped Wonyoung off at home. 

 

Wonyoung unbuckled her seatbelt, turning towards him with a slight smile, “Goodnight Seoyun”

 

He looked at her, smiling from ear to ear, “Thanks for tonight”

 

“Thank you, too. It was nice” Wonyoung replied politely. 

 

“I still feel bad that you didn't let me pay for your meal though, the date was my idea after all” Seoyun says, looking a little upset (and if he was trying to pout, that was surely a failed attempt)

 

Wonyoung quickly shakes her head, “I don't like it when people pay for my stuff” (except Yujin - but that's different. They often do that for each other) 

 

"Well, next time then I guess" The boy says, sighing. 

 

(Wonyoung doesn't think there will be a next time, but she keeps the thought to herself) 

 

Wonyoung just smiles a bit and is about to leave the vehicle when she feels a grip on her arm. 

 

“Wait Wonyoung!” Seoyun hurriedly says. 

 

The hold on her forearm is uncomfortable but as much as she wants to, Wonyoung doesn't want to seem rude by yanking it away

 

She looks at him in question. 

 

“When can I see you again?” The boy asks. 

 

“On Monday? At school?” Wonyoung answers, matter-of-factly 

 

“No I meant…” He trails off and suddenly Wonyoung feels even more uncomfortable, she can see him subtly lean towards her and all she wants to do is run. 

 

His gaze flickers towards her lips and lower and..

 

Wonyoung feels a terrified shiver run down her spine 

 

He comes closer and closer and Wonyoung shifts backwards until her back is pressed against the car door. 

 

Just as he is about to close whatever gap is left between them, in a last attempt, Wonyoung brings her hands to his shoulders and pushes him away from her. 

 

“Oh” the guy mutters as he realises in disappointment that Wonyoung does not want him. “Sorry”

 

“Drive safe” Wonyoung says before she opens the door and leaves the vehicle, finally able to breathe. 

 

He drives away after that, and Wonyoung is thankful to say the least. 

 

Without a second thought, she starts walking towards Yujin’s house. She needs to see her right this moment or she thinks she would lose her mind. 

 

She knocks on the front door thrice, tapping her foot on the ground anxiously. 

 

“Wh- Wonyoung?? What are you doing here? Are you okay?” Yujin's worried expression stares at her. 

 

Wonyoung hesitantly nods, “Can I come in?”

 

Yujin almost rolls her eyes as she takes the younger girl's hand and pulls her inside. 

 

Wonyoung smiles in greeting towards Yujin's parents before they take the stairs and make their way towards Yujin's room. 

 

“So, what happened?” Yujin asks once they're both seated on her bed. “How did the date go?”

 

“It was… okay” Wonyoung answers.

 

“You know I can read right through you, don't you” Yujin tells her. 

 

Wonyoung finds herself smiling a bit, because yes, no one else could quite read her the way Yujin could. 

 

“I'm being honest Jinnie, the date was alright” Wonyoung says. "But.." 

 

Wonyoung can practically see the worry swimming in Yujin's eyes as she impatiently asks her to continue. 

 

The taller of the two sighs, resting her hands in her lap and staring at her nails like they are the most interesting thing, “Seoyun tried to kiss me” 

 

“He did what?! That BASTARD-” Yujin immediately stands up - and to say that she looks furious would be an understatement. 

 

“No no, Jinnie calm down” Wonyoung quickly grabs her hand and pulls her back to sit. “He wasn't able to, I stopped him before he could”

 

“Still? Who the does he think he is?” Yujin says angrily. 

 

“Yujin” The younger girl says a little sternly and Yujin huffs, pinching the bridge of her nose to calm herself. 

 

“Okay tell me what happened”

 

And so Wonyoung sits there and explains everything, from the start to the moment she reached Yujin's doorstep. 

 

“If you see him with a broken nose on Monday, don't question it” Yujin tells Wonyoung once she's done, and instead of scaring her, the determined look on her face makes Wonyoung chuckle. 

 

It's like a puppy throwing a fit. It's cute. 

 

In a fleeting thought, Wonyoung thinks : Yujin is cute. 

 

“You're doing no such thing” Wonyoung says. “I don't want you getting in any trouble. Plus it's not like it's a big deal.. most of our friends have already had their first kiss haven't they?”

 

“Right” Yujin snorts, “Remember when Eunbi had hers with a guy and realised she was gay right that moment” 

 

Wonyoung laughs. It was true, all of their friends still tease Eunbi because of it.

 

“It's one of the reasons that I'm so scared of regretting my first kiss.. it's stupid I know” Wonyoung says as she watches Yujin stand up and walk towards her closet to pull out an oversized t-shirt and some sleep shorts. “I sound like one of those people from the 90's, don't I?”

 

Yujin throws the clothes in her direction, and Wonyoung realises that they are her clothes but at this point, it's natural for them to have their stuff over at each other's places. 

 

Everything is natural when it's with Yujin, afterall. 

 

Yujin turns around then, facing the wall to give Wonyoung her privacy as she speaks, “It's not stupid Wony”

 

Wonyoung s her dress and god does her entire body appreciate finally being free from the tight piece of clothing. 

 

“It is though” Wonyoung says as she slips on the more comfortable clothes. “Who cares about such things nowadays?”

 

She taps Yujin's shoulder, silently telling her that she's done and Yujin speaks then, “I do”

 

“You do?”

 

Yujin sighs as she picks Wonyoung's dress from the bed and puts it away neatly, “I mean it's better to give it to someone you actually care about then regretting it for the rest of your life, right?”

 

Wonyoung nods to herself as she slips under the covers of Yujin's bed, quickly leaving a text for her mom to tell her that she's staying here tonight (She receives a smile and thumbs up emoji as an answer just a minute later) 

 

She checks a few other texts (mostly from their friends and group chat) and by the time she puts her phone away, Yujin is already laying down beside her and the lights are turned off, the only source of light being the small lamp on the nightstand - Yujin leaves it on whenever Wonyoung stays over, knowing well that the girl hates sleeping in the dark. 

 

Yujin turns around, and Wonyoung hugs her from the back in the way that she's used to, resting her head against Yujin's shoulder comfortably and finally feeling the exhaustion of the day catching up. 

 

She's almost drifting off to sleep when she feels Yujin turn around in her arms. 

 

“Wony”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Who's the most important person to you?” Yujin asks in the space between them. 

 

“You” Wonyoung answers without missing a beat, opening her eyes to meet the chocolate brown ones that she has always adored.

 

“Then kiss me” Yujin says it so softly that for a solid ten seconds Wonyoung thinks that she imagined it. 

 

But with the older girl staring into her eyes expectantly, she realises that this is in fact real . 

 

What? 

 

“I said kiss me, Wony" Yujin repeats. 

 

(Wonyoung hadn't meant to say that out loud) 

 

“Why?” Wonyoung would like to think that the question comes out strong and demanding, but it really doesn't. Not with how her voice is barely over a whisper and how her fists hold onto Yujin's shirt a little tighter. 

 

And alright, she's nervous. (more so because she has no idea where Yujin is going with this) 

 

“Isn't it better for us to be each other's? I don't know, it just makes sense” Yujin shrugs. “You're the most important person to me too, afterall”

 

“You're crazy” Wonyoung laughs a little to cover up how her voice comes out shaky. 

 

“Perhaps so” Yujin smiles, and Wonyoung feels a little more at ease at the sight. “But you love me anyway, don't you?”

 

“You're lucky I do” Wonyoung retorts. 

 

“So are you gonna kiss me or..?” The older girl asks after a moment. 

 

At that moment, Wonyoung has a bunch of realisations. 

 

One : An Yujin can be ridiculous sometimes. 

 

Two : Yujin is very, very pretty up close. 

 

Three : She really wants to kiss her.

 

As much as Wonyoung wants to be surprised at the final realisation, she really can't bring herself to be. Not when she has thought about it countless times before - never on purpose, but she had nonetheless. 

 

She takes in a sharp breath before inching closer to Yujin, “Okay”

 

They were just two girls - two best friends - thinking of sharing their first kiss. Really, it's not like something could go wrong 

 

(She's mistaken) 

 

Yujin's eyes widen a bit in surprise, like she hadn't expected Wonyoung to agree so easily. 

 

She doesn't let it show for long however, opting to wrap her arms around the younger girl's torso as she pulls her in closer, “Okay?”

 

Wonyoung nods slowly, letting her eyes move lower to where the older's lips are. Those pretty, soft lips that Wonyoung had caught herself staring at time and time again whenever she talked to her best friend. 

 

She hadn't really given it much thought before tonight, however. 

 

All idle thoughts fly out of her mind when one of Yujin's hands rests against her cheek, pulling her in, and Wonyoung finds herself automatically closing her eyes. 

 

It isn't long before she feels Yujin's lips pressed against her own and her first reaction is to freeze up because what the , she's actually kissing Yujin

 

Or more like, Yujin's kissing her - slowly guiding her into it, the hand on her cheek moving to her nape. 

 

(Wonyoung finds herself sinking further and further into a feeling that she can't quite label) 

 

Wonyoung holds onto Yujin just a little bit tighter as she kisses the girl back and if she's not wrong - she isn't - Yujin smiles into the kiss. 

 

(The feeling that she has never been able to label) 

 

Wonyoung rests her hands against Yujin's lower back, letting the older deepen the contact as she slowly gets the hang of it - liking the feeling of the way Yujin's lips seemingly dance against her own. 

 

While her heart beats faster with every moment, she holds onto the girl tighter, not sure if she'll ever have enough of how it feels. 

 

When Yujin pulls away a bit, Wonyoung is quick to close the distance again - it's rushed, but she doesn't care. It's too soon. 

 

Too soon to let anything disrupt a moment she doesn't know if she'll ever live again. 

 

Wonyoung lets herself melt under the girl's touches, and when Yujin cups her cheeks, she tilts her head to deepen the kiss. 

 

A gasp escapes Wonyoung when Yujin (accidentally) bites her lip and the older is quick to pull away, looking at her with concern, “, did I hurt you?”

 

Wonyoung shakes her head, bravely (nervously) moving forward to press a small kiss on Yujin's lips, “You didn't” 

 

Yujin breaks into a grin then, “You're so cute”

 

Betraying herself, Wonyoung feels heat rise onto her cheeks. “Shut up” She mumbles. 

 

Yujin chuckles, albeit she doesn't try to put any distance between them as she says, “Let's sleep”

 

Wonyoung nods, still a little dazed, “Okay”

 

Yujin shifts a bit as Wonyoung snuggles into her, letting the younger rest her head against her shoulder. 

 

“Thanks Wony” Yujin says softly after a while. 

 

Wonyoung doesn't need to ask, understands the girl without the words being said, “Thank you too”

 

“Goodnight”

 

“Goodnight Jinnie” 

 

Wonyoung feels a kiss being pressed to her temple before she finally lets sleep overtake her. 

 


 

 

Turns out a lot could go wrong by kissing Yujin. 

 

On the surface nothing really changes, things go by just as normally as they usually do. 

 

And it's not like Yujin avoids talking about their kiss either - no, on the contrary the girl seems pretty glad about it - but there's something bothering Wonyoung that she can't speak out loud. 

 

Her feelings. 

 

The feelings that she repressed for so long, avoided thinking about at all, all came crashing up to the surface, suffocating her. 

 

Wonyoung has always been aware of her feelings towards Yujin, alright. She knows she likes the girl - has liked her for years. 

 

Only now she's hyper aware of her ever growing feelings. How the rose seems to be planted deep within her, its roots and leaves spreading through her, its thorns pricking at her insides. 

 

And really, there's nothing she can do about it. 

 

Not when Yujin is constantly with her, invading her senses, robbing her of air. 

 

Breathtaking . 

 

Breathtaking is exactly what An Yujin is. 

 


 

 

Wonyoung thinks that it's only natural. 

 

It's only natural when months later one night she turns in bed and realises that oh, she's in love with Yujin. 

 

Perhaps she has always been. 


 


 

 

December. 

 

End of the year, but a new beginning for them. 

 

It's the start of a new school year - their last one for high school - after all. 

 

“Jinnie! Wake up!” Wonyoung yells for the third time. 

 

Yujin mumbles something incoherent before burying her face further in her pillow

 

Wonyoung rolls her eyes at the childishness before grabbing the covers and pulling them down, successfully making Yujin whine and open her eyes to look at her. 

 

“Get your off that bed, we have school” Wonyoung tells her. 

 

“Oh , we do?! God I completely forgot!” Yujin exclaims as she hurriedly sits up on her bed, now taking in the sight of Wonyoung standing in front of her. “And you're ready, are we late?!”

 

Wonyoung chuckles before ruffling her hair, “We are not. We have an hour before school starts but you should hurry before we do end up being late”

 

Yujin nods, though she still stares at Wonyoung, “I'm assuming you left your jacket downstairs?”

 

“What? No, this is what I'm wearing”

 

“Are you telling me you plan on going to school in just a shirt and denims? Are you insane?” Yujin laughs as she stands up. 

 

“Hey my outfit isn't bad!” Wonyoung protests. 

 

“It's really not, but have you seen the temperature outside?” Yujin says as she rummages through her closet. “Unless you wanna catch a cold or something”

 

Wonyoung pouts as she waits for Yujin to finish whatever she is doing. 

 

A moment later, Yujin finally faces her again, one of her favorite turtleneck sweaters in hand, “Wear this alright?”

 

“Bu-”

 

“No buts, just wear it” Yujin says, handing the sweater to the younger girl then making her way towards the shower before the girl can complain. 

 

Wonyoung shakes her head, thinking 'when will this girl ever change?' before realising that perhaps nevermind, she prefers the girl just as she is now - a little dorky, some parts stupid, and the most caring person ever. 

 

She makes her way back downstairs after she puts the sweater on, sitting at the dining table where Yujin's mom had already fixed her some breakfast. 

 

“Thanks Mrs An” Wonyoung grins. 

 

“You're most welcome honey. Did Yujin wake up?” The older woman asks as she hands a cup of coffee to her husband. 

 

“Oh yeah, she did. She will be down any minute” Wonyoung says as she takes a bite of her sandwich, humming in bliss. 

 

It only takes about ten minutes before Yujin joins them at the breakfast table, sitting beside Wonyoung as she usually does whenever they eat together at either of their places. 

 

Not much conversation passes as they finish their breakfast and soon leave for school, Yujin driving them there as usual. 

 

(It’s not that Wonyoung doesn't have a car, she just prefers going with Yujin instead) 

 

As Yujin parks her car, Wonyoung catches sight of four of their other best friends standing near the school entrance. She wastes no time in making her way towards them - Yujin following right behind. 

 

“Wonyoung my daughter!” Yena squeals as soon as Wonyoung comes into view, making the girl chuckle, “And Yujinie!”

 

“Morning Yena” Yujin smiles at her friend, also greeting the rest of the girls once she's close enough. 

 

“It's been ten minutes at school and I already feel tired” Hyewon says as she lets out a faux yawn. 

 

“That's because Eunbi isn't here anymore and we all know it” Gauel says. 

 

“Shut up” Hyewon rolls her eyes, although silently agreeing. 

 

Yuri rolls her eyes at their interaction, “This is why I can't stand people who are dating. We singles have a life too, you know?”

 

“You wouldn't have to be single if you gave me a chance" Yena comments without missing a beat. 

 

Wonyoung laughs at how Yuri scowls at the girl and yet blushes, “Can we just go inside the school already please?”

 

“Right, first period starts in ten minutes. What do you have?”  asks Yujin as they finally enter the school building. 

 

“Both Wonyoung and I have Psychology, what about y'all?”

 

“So do Yuri and I” Yena says, wrapping her arm around the said girl's shoulders. 

 

“Alright then I suppose Hyewon and I will see you guys at lunch. We have Sociology” Gaeul says as they reach the stairs. 

 

“Cool, see you later then” Wonyoung waves at them as the girls part ways. 

 

The four of them make their ways towards their class with meaningless chatter when Yuri comments, “Isn't that Yujin's?” 

 

Wonyoung looks down at where Yuri is pointing, the sweater, as she answers, “Yeah it is”

 

“I swear sometimes it feels like you both share a closet” Yena says. 

 

“Hey at least it looks better on her than it does on me” Yujin shrugs as she links her arm with Wonyoung. 

 

“Oh shut up” Wonyoung rolls her eyes playfully. “We both know how good you look in turtlenecks”

 

“Damn if I didn't know any better I would think you both were a couple” Yuri says as they finally enter the almost empty classroom. 

 

“We are something much better than that” Yujin grins. “Best friends”

 

Best friends. 

 

Right, that was all they were ever going to be for Yujin, isn't it? 

 

The word leaves a bitter taste on Wonyoung's tongue as she sits down, Yujin sitting right beside her as usual while the other girls sit behind them. 

 

She opens her textbook, skimming through the first few pages to try and figure out the chapter they would be studying - a good way to distract her thoughts while Yujin chooses to scroll on her phone. 

 

As she often does, she keeps showing Wonyoung her phone every two minutes when she finds a meme or interesting video on her instagram or if someone texts her something remotely funny. 

 

She laughs, and while Wonyoung wishes it didn't, the sound is enough to make her smile too. 

 

In a few minutes, the class is filled with students, and soon enough the teacher walks in too. 

 

The class goes by smoothly, and Wonyoung finds herself thinking that perhaps this school year, being their last, was going to be a good one afterall. 

 

(She's mistaken) 

 

There's a knock on the door, bringing everyone's attention towards it. From where she's seated, Wonyoung can't quite see who it is, but soon enough, the teacher invites the person in. 

 

A girl, looking like she's just about their age, walks in. She makes her way towards the teacher and hands in a slip, keeping her eyes on the ground. 

 

The teacher reads the slip, and smiles at the girl politely before she turns towards the students, “Everyone, this is Rei and she will be studying with us in this class this year”

 

The girl, Rei, finally looks up at the class and Wonyoung smiles, thinking that wow, she's really pretty

 

Rei bows politely before she introduces herself, “Hello, I am Naoi Rei. I came here from Japan and will be studying in this class for the rest of the year. I hope we all can get along” 

 

“Wow, her Korean is really good for a Japanese person, no?” Wonyoung whispers to Yujin. 

 

When she doesn't get an answer, she turns to look at the girl. 

 

Something in her heart drops. 

 

Yujin is staring at the girl in front of them, lips slightly parted as if she's transfixed. 

 

Wonyoung elbows her slightly to get her attention, “Don't stare, it's rude” 

 

Yujin snaps out of her trance then, “Sorry, were you saying something?”

 

“Not really, no” Wonyoung says. 

 

“She's so pretty” Yujin whispers so softly that Wonyoung isn't sure if she meant to say it out loud at all. 

 

“How's your Korean so good?!” Yena questions from behind them, getting Wonyoung's attention before she could think any further. 

 

Rei smiles then, and alright, she is gorgeous. “I learnt it for a year before coming here”

 

“You're so pretty!” Some guy comments and Rei's eyes go slightly wide before she breaks into an embarrassed laugh. 

 

“Take a seat Miss Naoi, it looks like you won't be having any trouble getting along here” The teacher tells the Japanese girl. 

 

Rei nods, a smile on her lips as she walks towards an empty seat at the back of the class. 

 

And Wonyoung can't help but notice the way Yujin's eyes follow the girl as she passes by them and sits down. 

 

Wonyoung clenches her fist unintentionally in her lap, something about the whole situation not sitting right with her. 

 

But then Yujin turns towards her, all smiles, “It's great that we got a new student, right?”

 

Wonyoung nods, albeit just a little, “Right”

 

The rest of the class goes by smoothly and somehow Wonyoung manages to not think too much of it. 

 

Right when the bell rings, the teacher calls out to Wonyoung, “Jang Wonyoung?”

 

Wonyoung stands up obediently, “Yes Miss?”

 

“I need you to help Miss Naoi during the break time. She needs to get some paperwork done at the library so please make sure to accompany her” 

 

Wonyoung nods, class representative duties, taking her seat again once the teacher exits. 

 

Lunch break. 

 

 

“Something wrong?” Yujin asks, apparently having heard Wonyoung cursing under her breath. 

 

“I just remembered that I promised I would help Leeseo with her assignment at break today. Now I will have to cancel, she's gonna be upset with me” Wonyoung sighs. 

 

“Oh no” Yujin says. “I can help her instead if you want?”

 

“It's Maths, I don't think you can help much” Wonyoung chuckles as she packs her things up. 

 

“You're so mean” The older slaps her arm playfully, “I was just trying to be nice”

 

Wonyoung pinches her cheek then, “I appreciate it”

 

“Eh how about..” Yujin suddenly trails off. “I go with Rei instead? That way you won't have to cancel plans with Leeseo”

 

“Wait really?”

 

“Yeah, of course Wony. Plus it's a win for me too, maybe I will get to talk to the newbie” Yujin shrugs. 

 

Wonyoung stares at her for a second before she nods, realising that maybe it's the best option, “Okay then”

 

(She's mistaken) 

 


 

 

An Yujin has always been confident. 

 

There has never been a time when she claimed something and was proved wrong. She prides herself as someone who always stands by her words and never lets other people break through her. 

 

Like when she told Wonyoung that she would win a plushie for her at the arcade back when they were 12, she didn't stop until she returned with it. Or when she promised herself to get a 100 in her Maths exam last year - and she loathes Maths - she ended up topping the class with just the grade she wanted. Or when she made a stupid bet with Yena about eating the most fries a few weeks ago - she successfully defeated her friend by about twenty, with Yena whining like a baby in Yuri's arms. 

 

So really, Yujin thinks that there's nothing she can't do when she puts her mind to it. 

 

And yet, when this new pretty student looks up at her with a smile and the softest “Yes?” Yujin thinks that it feels a little like her insides turning to mush. 

 

Now Yujin isn't one to believe in love at first sight, thinks that even a crush should take a good fifteen looks, if anything. 

 

But Naoi Rei. 

 

Yujin thinks she wouldn't mind falling for someone as beautiful as her. 

 

She shakes her head quickly to get rid of the thoughts, clearing (just in case), “I am here to accompany you… to the library”

 

“Oh” Rei says as she stands up with her bag, “Didn't the teacher ask the other girl to do that? I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch her name”

 

“Wonyoung” Yujin says, almost immediately, “I'm her best friend. She's busy today so I'm joining you instead. I hope you don't mind?”

 

“Not at all” Rei smiles, “Lead the way?”

 

Yujin can't help but smile back, “Of course”

 

They exit the classroom side by side, and Yujin makes sure that the girl is busy listening to her to avoid noticing all the looks people are giving her (It's not just because there's someone new around, it's because the someone is absolutely beautiful, Yujin can't really blame them for being mesmerized) 

 

“So, when did you move here Rei-ssi?” The older asks. 

 

“Just Rei is fine” The girl tells her before continuing, “I moved about a month ago”

 

“You must miss Japan then” Yujin says, looking at her

 

“Sometimes, but it's not too bad. I need to get used to here anyway, my dad's job here is permanent now” The Japanese shrugs. 

 

Yujin hums then, “That's good, you'll like this place. It's not too bad”

 

“So I've seen” Rei says. 

 

A few moments of silence pass as they continue walking

 

“Is it just you and your parents?” Yujin asks as they descend the stairs. 

 

“I have an older sister” Rei answers. “What about you?” 

 

“I’m an only child” Yujin says. “It's always just been Wonyoung and I”

 

“Oh, you two must be close” Rei observes. 

 

“Yeah, we kinda grew up together” Yujin says, realising that they're almost at the library. 

 

“That's nice. I never really had friends like that, we were kinda always moving” 

 

“Well I hope you do here then” Yujin says sincerely as they finally reach. 

 

The older guides Rei to where she needs to get her work done and waits there (although really, she doesn't have to) 

 

It takes about a good ten minutes until Rei is done and she looks surprised to find Yujin still standing there. 

 

“You waited?” She looks at the girl. 

 

“Yeah…” Yujin involuntarily scratches at her cheek, “Thought I might as well accompany you to the cafeteria too”

 

“That's really sweet of you” Rei says, “Let's go then?” 

 

Yujin nods, walking just a step ahead as she falls in a conversation with the taller girl about other basic things.

 

Once they reach, Yujin spots Wonyoung and her other friends sitting together at their usual table. Contemplating whether or not she should invite Rei to their table, she ends up thinking maybe some other day. 

 

“Alright then Rei, I'll be heading to my friends now” Yujin smiles at the girl. 

 

Rei bows politely, “Thank you for helping me” 

 

Yujin waves a hand dismissively, “It's nothing. Take care” 

 

She turns then, catching Wonyoung's eyes immediately and waving at her best friend who smiles back at her.

 

She's about to walk away when Rei calls out to her softly. 

 

“Yeah?” She looks back. 

 

“I never got your name” Rei says, sounding shy. 

 

“Oh” Yujin blushes, but extends her hand towards the girl anyway. “My bad, I'm An Yujin” 

 

Rei puts her hand into the older girl's, and all Yujin can think and feel is how soft it is. 

 

“I'll see you around then, Yujin” 

 


 

Wonyoung has never been a fan of parties, hates them, even. 

 

But when Yena asks both her and Yujin to come to one of the ex senior's house party on the weekend, she finds that there's no space for rejection, not with how Yena practically drags them out of Wonyoung's place (They had been peacefully studying there until Yena barged in and asked them to get ready) 

 

So that's how Wonyoung finds herself getting off of Yujin's car (after pestering them to no end, it turned out that Yena also needed a ride there herself) and towards the house blasting music so loud that Wonyoung could practically feel the bass under her feet. 

 

Yujin walks up to her and links their arms together, the way she always does, as they walk into the house filled with teenagers and young adults. Pushing their way through the crowd, they find their friends seated on a couch together.

 

“Eunbi unnie!” Wonyoung squeals as the said girl looks up. 

 

“Wonyoungie!” The older grins as she pulls Wonyoung into a hug, “I didn't expect you two to be here”

 

“Yeah well, thank me for that” Yena says as she sits down beside Yuri. “I had to drag these two nerds out” 

 

“I'm not a nerd, loser” Yujin says as she takes her seat beside Wonyoung and Eunbi. 

 

“Yeah right, remind me who tops the class every year?” Yuri asks. 

 

“Logically, that could be both Wonyoung and Yujin” Minju comments. 

 

Wonyoung is about to say something when she gets her attention caught by someone else, “What's up with her?” She points at Chaewon who's practically hugging Minju from the back like a koala. 

 

“Had a drink too many before any of us got here, she's been like this all evening” Hyewon answers as she leans her head on her girlfriend's shoulder. 

 

“When I get my hands on the person who let her drink this much, it's over for them” Eunbi says, sounding too serious for someone who seems slightly tipsy herself. 

 

Minju huffs then, “Chaewon let go of me please” 

 

Chaewon mumbles something incoherently. 

 

“Is she talking to herself now?” Yujin asks as she perches her chin on Wonyoung's shoulder, her arm wrapping around the girl's waist. 

 

Wonyoung puts her hand over Yujin's out of habit, rubbing small circles on it with her thumb and she hears Yujin sigh in content right beside her ear. 

 

Wonyoung leans until her back is pressed against her best friend's front. 

 

The moment of bliss is broken as Chaewon suddenly cries, “Why don't you love me?!” 

 

Unlike everyone else, Minju somehow seems unfazed, as if used to such behavior from the girl, “Stop yelling in my ear or I'll push you off this couch” 

 

“Damn that's harsh, what happened now?” Gaeul says as she walks in, looking around to find that there's no space left on the long couch and choosing to lean against the armrest instead. 

 

“Chaewon is complaining about Minju not loving her back” Yuri shrugs. 

 

“So, the usual”

 

“Why can't you love me?” Chaewon says again. 

 

“You change girlfriends every two weeks. I don't want to be another plaything for you Kim Chaewon, thank you very much” Minju says as she rolls her eyes. 

 

Wonyoung sighs, knowing full well how the situation is. Chaewon being the biggest playgirl in her school while she's really only in love with her best friend and Minju having trust issues by now, refuses to acknowledge Chaewon's feelings. 

 

“But Joo.. ” Chaewon trails off as she suddenly falls deep in thought. 

 

Minju uses the chance to get out of the older girl's grip as she stands up and leaves after saying, “I'm gonna go get a cola” 

 

Wonyoung shakes her head, having witnessed similar scenes several times. They all know that Chaewon probably won't even remember any of this by the morning anyway. 

 

She turns slightly to face Yujin and finds the older girl seemingly lost in thoughts. 

 

Wonyoung pokes her side gently to get her attention, “What are you thinking of?”

 

“That it must ” Yujin mumbles as she finally looks into Wonyoung's eyes. “You know, being in love with your best friend” 

 

Wonyoung gulps involuntarily, trying her hardest to not let her smile waver as she mumbles a soft, “Yeah” 

 

You have no idea. 

 


 

Yujin sips on her sprite as she listens to Eunbi rant about some rude customer at her café, the girl being slightly drunk making everything funnier. 

 

“And he tries to ask for my number? I'm gayer than… I don't know, a ing a pride flag” The oldest rolls her eyes and her girlfriend just laughs. 

 

“Well what did you tell him then Eun?” Hyewon asks, and as the conversation goes on, Yujin finds herself distracted after hearing a certain voice from somewhere nearby. 

 

She quickly whips her head around to search for the source and sure enough, she finds the person standing a few feet away at the drinks table. 

 

Naoi Rei. 

 

Yujin wonders if she should approach the girl when she notices a guy walking towards her instead. 

 

She watches the conversation keenly from afar (for safety reasons, of course) and only a minute later, she realises that she was right for doing so. 

 

She sighs, muttering a ‘ing ’ under her breath before she pulls away from Wonyoung who quickly turns to look at her. 

 

“What's up? Where are you going?” Her best friend asks. 

 

“Gonna go help a friend. I'll be back” Yujin tells her as she stands up and walks up to where Rei is. 

 

The Japanese girl notices her before the guy does. 

 

“Yujin, hey” Rei smiles, and Yujin thinks there's relief on her face - and she understands why after she sees who the guy is - Kim Sejoon, one of the most annoying guys of their class. 

 

“An Yujin! Nice to see you here dude” Sejoon says and Yujin fakes a big smile.

 

“Sejoon, hey. That girl from the cheerleading team was looking for you earlier, did you see her?” Yujin asks. 

 

“Which girl?” Sejoon queries, suddenly all his interest in what Yujin is saying. 

 

Yujin resists the urge to roll her eyes. 

 

“I don't remember her name, but she went somewhere around there” She points towards the most crowded part of the house, and the boy stupidly looks around. 

 

“I can't find anyone from the cheerleaders there” The guy mutters as he strains his neck to look for someone. 

 

“Maybe she went out on the porch.” Yujin shrugs. “She looked quite into finding you though, something about getting drinks together” 

 

“I'll just go find her, actually” The guy says as he puts his cup down. “Rei I'll get back to you in a moment” 

 

Yujin curses under her breath again as the guy turns around and leaves. 

 

“Are you telling me someone is actually into that guy?” Rei asks in disbelief once Sejoon is out of sight. 

 

“Nope, I made that up” Yujin chuckles as she faces the younger girl. 

 

“What? Really?” 

 

Yujin nods, “The only way a girl would ever touch that guy would be with a taser” 

 

Rei laughs, “Well,why did you?”

 

The older shrugs, “You looked uncomfortable, and plus he was trying to spike your drink”

 

Rei's eyes widen then, putting her drink away quickly, “Oh”

 

“I just noticed from across the room so I thought it would be best to intervene. I'm sorry if I bothered you though”

 

“Not at all. Thank you” Rei says sincerely. “I was trying to be nice but he was genuinely pissing me off. And I really wouldn't know what to do if he actually did something with my drink” 

 

“It's nothing” Yujin smiles. “Now, let's leave before he comes back” 

 

Rei nods and follows Yujin towards the other side of the big room. 

 

Yujin brings Rei to where all her friends are, and Wonyoung immediately catches her eye as if she was waiting for her to get back (she probably was).

 

“Yujin! Where did y-.. Oh hey..?” Wonyoung mumbles out the last words as her eyes trail behind the girl behind Yujin. 

 

“Everyone” Yujin says, bringing the attention of her friends to where she is. “This is my friend, Rei. She's new to our school” 

 

“Rei? Japanese?” Hyewon immediately quips in. 

 

“Yeah” Rei says, a little shy, as she stands beside Yujin. 

 

Hyewon smiles then, “Oh wow, wh-”

 

“She's so pretty!” A drunk Eunbi suddenly cuts in and while Rei looks horrified initially at the sudden outburst, she realises that the girl only means good. 

 

Yujin chuckles as she introduces Rei to the rest of the girls. 

 

“And these are my two other friends, Yena and Yuri, I'm sure you must've seen them in class” Yujin says and looks at Rei. 

 

“I have. We have a few classes together” Rei says as she politely bows her head in their direction. Both the girls smile at her. 

 

“And this!” Yujin says with a big smile, pointing proudly at the girl seated in front of her, “This is Jang Wonyoung. My best friend but also pretty much my family” 

 

Rei smiles then too, extending her hand in Wonyoung's direction, “It's great finally seeing you, Wonyoung. I've heard Yujin talk about you a lot” 

 

Wonyoung takes her hand and smiles back at the girl, “Glad to see you too Rei. And don't believe the things she tells you about me, I'm a good person I promise” She jokes. 

 

“Hey!” Yujin whines, sitting beside Wonyoung and gesturing Rei to sit on her other side, “I only told her good things about you” 

 

Wonyoung pats her hair affectionately as the older leans her head against her shoulder, “I was kidding” 

 

“So where are you from in Japan?” Gaeul asks Rei in her mother tongue, somehow having picked some language skills from her time in Japan before, and Rei visibly relaxes. She falls into a comfortable conversation with the older girl and the other girls listen in too, trying to make out as much sense as they can. 

 

Yujin smiles to herself, leaning further into Wonyoung, a warm feeling spreading in her chest. 

 

It's a new feeling, but it's welcomed nonetheless. 

 


 

Yujin laughs as Chaewon throws her arms around Wonyoung. With Minju still being nowhere to be seen, the older girl had become a whining mess. 

 

“Wonyoungggg” Chaewon slurs. “Why doesn't she see that I really love her?” 

 

Wonyoung pats her shoulder as Chaewon snuggles up to her, “Maybe someday you can prove it to her” 

 

Chaewon nods into her neck and Wonyoung sighs. 

 

Yujin turns her head then, giving her attention to the girl on her other side - only to find her preoccupied. 

 

“Who are you looking for?” Yujin asks softly. 

 

“Liz” Rei says, facing her. 

 

“You know Jiwon?” The older girl asks in amusement. 

 

“Yeah, we became friends a few days ago. She's the one who brought me here” Rei tells her. “Unwillingly on my side, if I might add” 

 

Yujin chuckles, “I did think that it was a little unlike you” 

 

Rei shrugs then, “Right, and now I can't find her. She's supposed to drive me home” 

 

“You wanna go home already?” Yujin asks casually, trying not to show her disappointment. 

 

“Yeah, this is really not my scene” 

 

“Well then, maybe you should call her and ask” The older one suggests and Rei nods, pulling her phone out of her jacket. 

 

Just then, they see Gaeul walking towards them, a very familiar girl by her side. 

 

Liz. 

 

“Rei chan” Jiwon grins as she approaches them. 

 

“Oh I was just about to call you. I was thinking of leaving, when can you drop me off?” Rei asks as she stands up from the couch. 

 

Jiwon stops in her tracks, suddenly looking guilty, “ I completely forgot about that. I have been drinking”

 

“Oh no” Rei mumbles. 

 

“I'm so sorry Rei chan” Jiwon says. “I'll just ask someone in my friends to drop you off” 

 

“No it's okay, don’t bother them.  I'll just call a cab or something” Rei smiles at her, assuring her that it was alright. “Have your fun” 

 

“You're an angel” Jiwon smiles back. “Be safe, yeah?” The taller pats her shoulder as she walks to where Gaeul is on the other side. 

 

“My Rei we love you” A very drunk Eunbi mutters, making everyone laugh. 

 

Suddenly, Yujin has an idea - it's a little random, but it's worth a shot, she thinks.

 

“Should I drop you off?” 

 

“What? No, you don't have to Jin” Rei says, eyes widening in the slightest. 

 

Yujin thinks that she melts a little at the nickname, “It's nothing really! I'd love to” 

 

“Are you sure?” The Japanese asks. 

 

“Of course” 

 

“Well” Rei mumbles softly. “Should I wait for you outside?”

 

“Alright, I'll see you in a minute” 

 

Yujin watches as Rei leaves before she turns around. 

 

, she completely forgot.

 

Shaking her head a little, she speaks, “Wony?”

 

Wonyoung looks up at her, “What's up? Did Rei leave?” 

 

“Actually” Yujin says, “I'm gonna drop her off, is that okay?” 

 

“Of course” Wonyoung smiles. “I'll come with you” 

 

“Oh perfect then” The older grins. 

 

Wonyoung attempts to stand up but is pulled back down by Chaewon. 

 

“...Or not” Yujin mumbles. 

 

“Wonyoungie don't go” Chaewon mutters as she hugs Wonyoung tighter. 

 

Wonyoung sighs, and then looks back up at Yujin who shrugs. 

 

“Hyewon” Yujin calls out, getting the girl's attention. “Can you please drop Wonyoung off later?” 

 

Hyewon gives her a thumbs up, “You got it Jinnie” 

 

Yujin smiles, leaning down to give Wonyoung a kiss on the forehead, “I'll see you later” 

 

(She doesn't notice the way Wonyoung's cheeks turn bright red) 

 

“Take care” Wonyoung mumbles and with that, Yujin takes her leave. 

 


 

 

Wonyoung can only sigh as she watches her best friend exit through the door. 

 

“Wonyoungie?” Chaewon mumbles. 

 

“Hmm?”

 

“You love Yujin, don't you?” 

 

Wonyoung chuckles, “Of course I do silly” 

 

Chaewon pulls away then, looking into the younger girl's eyes and for a second it seems like she's not drunk at all, “You love her the way I love Minju” 

 

Wonyoung feels her heart drop, “What do you mean?” 

 

Chaewon giggles drunkenly, resting her head against Wonyoung's shoulder, “You're in love with your best friend too” 

 

“I'm n-” 

 

“Shhh” Chaewon cuts her off. “You don't need to lie to me, you know?” 

 

Wonyoung gulps, “Chaewon…”

 

“You can lie to everyone in this room Wonyo, but not me. I know that look, the pain in your eyes. You look just like me” Chaewon mumbles. “I know it hurts” 

 

Wonyoung glances around quickly, making sure no one is listening to them, “Am I that obvious? Do you think Yujin knows already too?” 

 

“Hmmm?” Chaewon hums and then falls into a fit of laughter, “No way. She's as stupid as Joo is”

 

And then suddenly she's sniffling, on the verge of crying as she snuggles back up to Wonyoung, “Wonyoungie, we'll be okay right?” 

 

Wonyoung pats her head comfortingly, “Of course” 

 

She doesn't know if she's trying to convince herself or Chaewon. 

 

But at that moment, it's enough. 

 

She just doesn't know how long she can keep lying to herself. 

 


 

“So I'm guessing you like Twice?” Yujin chuckles as she watches Rei sing along to the song playing on the radio. 

 

Was the song called Feel Special? The Feels? It's something like that, Yujin doesn't really know - she has never been much into Kpop. But seeing Rei have the time of her life singing and dancing along to it in her car makes her want to know more about it too. 

 

“I do! They're my favorites” The younger girl smiles and she's about to say something else when her phone starts ringing. 

 

Yujin turns down the radio with her free hand as Rei talks to whoever is on the phone. 

 

Yujin barely grasps a few things from the Japanese conversation and decides to just wait for the call to end. 

 

“It was my mom” Rei says once it's over. 

 

“Oh? What was she asking?” 

 

“You know, the usual mom stuff, if I have eaten or gotten back home and all. I'm home alone today so” The Japanese says and before Yujin can ask why, she answers herself, “My family had to fly over to Japan yesterday to attend a wedding” 

 

Yujin nods her head in understanding, “I see” 

 

A few moments of silence pass before Yujin speaks up again, “So, have you had your dinner yet?”

 

“Nope” Rei mindlessly answers. 

 

“I know this awesome pizza place a few blocks away, should we get some then?” Yujin asks.

 

Rei hums in thought, “Sounds good, but I'm paying” 

 

“No w-” 

 

“It's either that or we get no pizza” 

 

Yujin sighs in defeat, but smiles nonetheless, “Alright”

 


 

Wonyoung turns in bed restlessly. 

 

The digital clock on her bedside says it's 1:30 am.

 

Yujin isn't back yet. 

 

Wonyoung knows because Yujin's car is not back at her place and she hasn't heard a noise outside at all. 

 

She unlocks her phone for the nth time and looks at the text she sent an hour ago, ‘Text me once you're back 🤍’ - it's still left on delivered. 

 

She sighs, putting the device away. 

 

What could be taking Yujin so long? She had left about an hour before Wonyoung had, shouldn't she have reached long ago? She'd be okay, right?

 

She turns again.

 

Was she still with Rei?

 

Wonyoung clenches her teeth, trying to get rid of the thought. It shouldn't bother her. There's no way Yujin would..

 

Her phone rings just then, cutting off her thoughts. 

 

She grabs the device and looks at the caller id - “ Jinnie 🐶 ”

 

She almost gives herself whiplash with how fast she puts the device to her ear after hitting 'receive'. 

 

“Wony” She hears the older girl say, and she sighs in relief. 

 

“Yujin, where are you?” Wonyoung asks her, sitting up on her bed. 

 

“I'm home, can you come to the window?” 

 

Wonyoung shakes her head in amusement as she stands up and makes her way to the window, pulling the curtains back to see Yujin standing at her window too - their rooms being right opposite to each other. 

 

She can see Yujin grinning as the older waves at her and it makes Wonyoung laugh, “When did you get back?” 

 

“Just 5 minutes ago” She sees Yujin speaking into the phone. “I needed to see you before I slept to make sure you were alright” 

 

Wonyoung feels her heart melt a bit - of course, it's her Yujin, the most caring person ever. 

 

“I reached just fine, although handling a drunk Eunbi was really funny” The younger of the two chuckles and she can see Yujin smile too, “Why didn't I hear you come back by the way? Where's your car?” 

 

“Oh long story actually. It broke down after I dropped Rei off so I had to walk back home, that's why it took me so long” Yujin tells her. 

 

(Wonyoung lets out a breath she didn't know she was holding)

 

“Oh no you should go to sleep then, you must be tired” Wonyoung looks at the girl just then and finds her yawning slightly. 

 

“Yeah, perhaps. But like I said, I needed to see you before I did” 

 

“Dork, go sleep now” 

 

“I will. Goodnight Wony” Yujin blows her a kiss from where she is. 

 

Wonyoung laughs again, “Goodnight Jinnie” 

 

Wonyoung goes to sleep with a smile on her face, thinking to herself that she really has nothing to worry about. No matter what happened, Yujin would never change - not with her. 

 

(She's mistaken)