one shot

I hate you (i love you)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Eunbi stands straight, gaze unwavering at the crowd in front of her. She never likes parties, especially those that are filled with snobby rich men who flaunt their wealth to everybody's face. Business parties are a hassle– and it's usually not on Eunbi's job list either. Still, there isn't anything that Eunbi could do. She must keep Yewon safe, no matter how boring and annoying this party is.

 

She is a bodyguard slash best friend of Kim Yewon. The latter's father, Mr. Kim took her in the mansion, raised her and funded her entire school fees. Unlike Yewon's luxurious origins, Eunbi grew up in the orphanage. It was thanks to Mr.Kim that she could go to school in the first place, all in exchange for her to accompany Yewon as her friend. She's already been Yewon's bodyguard from the start, over 7 years ago, even before Eunbi is officially hired.

 

The instinct and need to keep Yewon from harm as well as the high-paying job, it's an offer Eunbi wouldn't refuse.

 

"Ms. Kim, anything you need?" 

 

Yewon walked towards the corner of the room where Eunbi is standing, keeping an eye on her from afar. "Yes. Let's go home, EunbI." The edge of her lips curves into a teasing smile, "I saw you frowning since the start, I don't think we want to be here any longer."

 

Eunbi resists the urge to say ', Thank you god' and resorts to a mere nod. She leads the way, guiding Yewon by her side out of the dining hall, all the way to their fancy car parked right outside. 

 

"That was too tiring," Yewon complains when she collapses on the comfy car seat. 

 

Eunbi sits beside her, motioning the driver to get them home as quickly as possible. "I wanted to hit the man you were talking to." She confesses with a scoff, recalling the arrogant man that approached Yewon amidst the party.

 

"You're not alone on that…" Yewon grimaces. "I'll just hope Sojung unnie comes back quickly. I don't think I can stand any more parties." 

 

"She's coming back next week right?" Eunbi frowns, but for an entirely different reason.

 

Sojung is Yewon's older sister by 3 years. The 27 year old woman became the CEO of their family business after their father retired a few years ago. Despite the large workload overwhelming the woman, she managed to bring their company to another level of success. Of course, at the cost of her health and free time.

 

For Yewon, she's an older sister that lost touch with her.

 

For Eunbi, she's annoying and unbearable.

 

She doesn't get how Eunha, Sojung's personal secretary, could put up with her all these years. Everytime Eunbi bumps into the older woman, they get into multiple arguments that Yewon has to put a stop to it. If Sojung teases her, Eunbi fights back. It’s been like that since the very start.

 

The news that Sojung would be out of the country for an indefinite amount of time brings petty joy to Eunbi's heart. Eunha messaged her that it was due to company matters, somewhere along a foreign investors and contract problems. That's why Sojung has to travel over 100 miles away, leaving Yewon to participate in these parties meant for her. There are pros and cons, but according to schedule, there aren't any more parties or jobs until the weekend ends. That fact alone brings so much relief to both Eunbi and Yewon.

 

"I hope she comes back quicker." Yewon mutters under her breath. 

 

Eunbi hears it, and mumbles in understanding. 

 

Due to Sojung's busy schedule, the siblings barely talk anymore. When Yewon wakes up everyday, Sojung has already left, then returns home at the dead of night. Yewon barely sees her in the mansion anymore. When she actually sees her, Sojung’s too tired to converse anymore. Yewon lets her rest in peace, though there’s a tiny hope that she can interact properly with her older sister again. Yewon misses her a lot.

 

Eunbi suppose it was also the reason she dislikes Sojung, aside from her purposely picking fights with her. Since Eunbi is Yewon's best friend before a bodyguard, she has a soft spot for the shorter woman. No matter how busy Sojung is, she should have spared some time for Yewon. That thought is ingrained inside  her, and Eunbi stubbornly decided that she wouldn't change her mind.

 

In the end, she just wants Yewon safe and happy.


 

***


 

The car parks in the Kim's private lot after a painfully long journey towards the mansion. It’s late at night with the car’s headlight the only thing that lights the way. Eunbi quickly leaves the car first, making sure everything’s safe and sound.

 

As Eunbi secures the area, she finds an odd occurrence– another car parked not far from them. She immediately recognizes the license plate, "Yewon, your dad is here."

 

"He is?" Yewon exclaims in surprise, hopping out of the car as Eunbi escorts her to the mansion. "Does that mean Sojung unnie is back too?"

 

"Eunha hasn't said anything…" The secretary often messages Eunbi about Sojung's schedules, as Eunbi often lends her questions from Yewon. Eventually, it just became a habit for Eunha to message Eunbi in her free time. It ranges from business related talks until random topics such as their love for cute animals.

 

"Hmm. We shouldn't let Dad wait too long," Yewon mutters, masking her own disappointment. "We should return to the mansion quickly.

 

Eunbi nods, preparing herself to face her boss too 

 

Mr. Kim, despite being retired, joined Sojung on her travels to the states. Yewon suspects he wanted a vacation and that his old body needed a change of scenery, though Mr.Kim convinces her that he just wanted to see how Sojung will find the solution to the company's foreign problems. Him being here must mean that the problem has been partly solved. 

 

True to Eunbi's suspicions, Mr.Kim is here in the flesh.

 

"Ah, Yewon-ah! How's the business party?" He greets his youngest (and favorite) daughter with a hug.

 

"Terrible." Yewon smiles, "Mr. Baek is as arrogant as you described him. But the deal is done, and I made some other connections like you requested."

 

Mr. Kim breaks into laughter after hearing Yewon's honest reply. He pats his daughter's head before turning to Eunbi. "How about you, Eunbi-ya? How have you been doing?"

 

"As usual. No one bothered Yewon, and I successfully resisted the urge to punch Mr. Baek." 

 

"Then everything is fine, I see." 

 

Mr. Kim invites both of them to eat dinner with him, though both Yewon and Eunbi are inclined to have rest at that point. Yewon promises that after she washes herself and removes her makeup, she'll come down to accompany him. Eunbi uses the time to lay on her bed, her room just beside Yewon's in case anything happens.


 

***


 

The dinner is awkward.

 

Yewon rejected the meal, opting for small desserts instead as she had eaten back in the party. That leaves Eunbi and Mr.Kim eating in complete silence. If you ask Eunbi, she senses something tense in the air, but she can't figure out what.

 

"Yewon-ah, Eunbi-ya." Mr. Kim breaks the silence. His deep voice pulls both the girls from their meal– furthering Eunbi's suspicion. "There were some problems with the company. I decided to return to assist Sojung-ah in Seoul, but she'll extend her stay in the States."

 

"Ah, I see." Yewon replies shortly.

 

"The problem is much bigger than we anticipated, and we think it may be unsafe for you." 

 

"It's okay, I have Eunbi, right?"

 

"No."

 

Mr. Kim's reply has Eunbi's head abruptly turning towards him, eyes wide in surprise. "...What do you mean?" 

 

He heaves a deep sigh, "I'm hiring another bodyguard– treat it like a new partner or some sort – as soon as possible." 

 

Suddenly the luxurious food tastes like ashes inside Eunbi's mouth. Frozen still, she doesn't know how to react to this news at all. She stays silent upon the abrupt announcement, while Yewon is just as shocked, "Dad, don't you think Eunbi is enough? For the past 7 years she guarded me safely…I don't think a partner is needed."

 

But Mr. Kim shakes his head instead. "I worry, Yewon-ah. Sojung-ah has been targeted a few times. I'm sorry for saying this, but you may become a target too. This foreign investor is stubborn and most importantly strong and has connections with dangerous people…"  He then explains what exactly happened in the states at full length. This foreign investor’s demand is too big for Sojung and the company to agree to. It escalates grimly, and now even Sojung is directly targeted. Mr. Kim worries that sooner or later, Yewon will be in danger as well.

 

"Dad…"

 

"This decision is final and the newest bodyguard will stand by from tomorrow until an indefinite time." He says with an apologetic smile, but more towards Eunbi who can't say anything until he excused himself from the dining room.. 

 

Yewon rushes to Eunbi the moment her father disappears from her vision. "Eunbi…"

 

"I…" Eunbi struggles to collect her thoughts. It's all jumbled and mixed together that she doesn't know what to process first. "Did I not perform as well as he expected?" 

 

"No, you did your best!"

 

"But then…why?" 

 

"He just worries about me. It's not your fault at all, Eunbi." Yewon feels her heart sink as Eunbi's frown slowly turns dejected. She knows how Eunbi is. She's stern and follows protocols to the words, sometimes perfectionistic when it comes to her job. Yewon knows Eunbi is prideful and treats her job very seriously, so her father hiring another bodyguard may insulate that Eunbi isn't good enough– which is not the case at all.

 

Eunbi shakes her head slowly, "He doesn't think I can protect you well, Yewon."

 

"That's not true–"

 

"I'm all you need, I'll make him realize that." Eunbi grumbles loudly. It isn’t new that she gets mad easily, but never in front of Yewon. This turn of events just gets on her nerves to that point. Yes, Hwang Eunbi's pride won't be damaged just like that. "I'm the best bodyguard and Mr. Kim will know it!"

 

Yewon defeatedly watches as Eunbi stomps back to her room, "Oh no…"

 

Hwang Eunbi is many things– a good friend and a good bodyguard– but one thing about Eunbi herself: She's stubborn and prideful.


 

("Like a model Gryffindor," Eunbi proudly says when Yewon points it out. 

 

"It's not a compliment, Eunbi-ya…")


 

Now alone in the dining room, Yewon can only sigh.

 

Half of the food is intact and none of them has the desire to eat anymore.


 

***


 

Eunbi sleeps her worries away, in an attempt to forget the whole ordeal the moment she wakes up the next day.

 

She wakes up with her stomach empty. She didn't exactly finish her dinner the previous night, so when Eunbi rises from her deep sleep, the first thing she notices is her empty stomach growling of hunger. All she wants is breakfast. She limps towards the kitchen in search of snacks and food to eat, yet something else catches her off guard. She doesn’t realize someone else is inside the kitchen, until she turns her head and a woman appears in her vision.

 

The appearance of a young woman with shoulder length black hair and straight bangs confuses her greatly. She won’t ignore how pretty the woman is, but Eunbi knows that’s not important now. As far as Eunbi remembers, no one could come inside the mansion without permission, and Eunbi swears she never allowed anyone to come.

 

"Who the are you?" Eunbi becomes alert quickly, pointing a fork threateningly towards the stranger. Despite her glare and the possible violent threat, this stranger doesn't budge. Instead, she flashes a grin, too bright for Eunbi's taste, and approaches her calmly.

 

"Calm down now, Miss Hwang." The woman says slowly, hands raising upwards in mock defeat.

 

"How did you know–"

 

"Your name? I'll introduce myself first. Good morning Miss Hwang, My name is Jung Yerin and I'm your bodyguard partner from now on." 

 

Eunbi blinks. Right, she was informed last night that Mr. Kim hired a new bodyguard for Yewon. She curses herself from not remembering that important detail, inclining to quickly fill her stomach with breakfast– hence the fork. The fork. She lowers her arm, but is still cautious of this Jung Yerin.

 

"I'm sorry to bother you on your…breakfast. But I'll stand by in the living room for briefings and other information." Yerin bows her head, but before she leaves, the woman takes one good look at Eunbi from head to toe. When Eunbi expresses her confusion, Yerin promptly winks at her. "Just saying though, you shouldn't walk around in only your white shirt, Miss Hwang. You look lovely though!"

 

Yerin strides away with a grin, leaving Eunbi into a flustered mess. 

 

"W-what?!" Eunbi looks down at her body. She realizes what Yerin meant and sinks to the ground in shame. She curses herself again for forgetting the very important detail– and now she made a fool out of herself in front of her new partner. It’s a terrible first impression, but Eunbi isn’t as embarrassed as she is enraged. Her breakfast is long forgotten as Eunbi marches towards her room with anger plastered on her flushed face. 

 

She quickly changes her clothes, tossing the oversized white shirt in disgust, then putting on her undergarments and her usual suit uniform, blushing madly as the images of Jung Yerin's annoying grin appears in her mind. " her, that Jung Yerin…" Eunbi grumbles, finally in a proper outfit. 

 

Being underestimated is one thing, being paired with an infuriating ert?

 

Eunbi wonders how terrible her luck nowadays is.


 

***


 

She finds Yerin sitting comfortably on the mansion's living room couch, drinking a carton of chocolate milk. Eunbi has to point out, “That’s Yewon’s.”

 

The woman turns her head to meet Eunbi's gaze, lips forming into a grin. "Hello, Miss Hwang! I see you are wearing some clothes now!" The grin on her face doesn't waver, and Eunbi has to use all her might not to slap this person. Yerin stands up and approaches the woman, though Eunbi backs away quickly to put distance from her.

 

Her cheeks warm at her words, Eunbi sending a quick deathly glare towards the unserious woman. "Are you informed of your job and client, Miss Jung?" 

 

"Of course. Kim Yewon, 24 years old, youngest daughter of the Kim family." Yerin repeats smoothly as if the information is ingrained on the back of her mind. She tosses a folder that Eunbi easily catches. She smiles as Eunbi sends her an incredulous glare.

 

The folder is filled with various papers on the Kim family and mansion. Maps, schedules, inhabitants, even frequent visitors such as Eunha. Eunbi takes a quick read, flipping the papers until she finds a picture of herself– it was around 5 years ago, when Eunbi was officially hired. She flips the paper again, her frown deepens as she sees Yerin's own face, but with blonde hair instead. She feels herself getting lost when gazing at Yerin’s picture.

 

Yerin probably catches her reading her information, "That's 4 months ago, by the way!"

 

Eunbi ignores her and continues to read.


 

Name: Jung Yerin.

 

Age and Birthdate: 26 years old; 19-8-1996.


 

"You have the same birthday as Yewon?" Eunbi unconsciously comments, regretting it right after.

 

"Yep! 2 years apart. I remember your birthday too, Eunbi-ya. Can I call you that?"

 

Eunbi scoffs, once again ignoring her.


 

Height: 168 cm

 

Weight: Not telling~~~


 

"What the hell…" Eunbi mutters under her breath. It's written in yellow marker too.


 

Highlights: 

- Private bodyguard

- Protection and service

- Martial arts (I'm rlly strong) 

- Strong protection

- I'm fun to be around

- CPR training (i'm a good kisser too if you must know ehe!)


 

"Jung Yerin-ssi, you shouldn't scribble on your resume…" 

 

"That highlights my work experience very nicely though, Eunbi-ya."


 

Experience:

- 2014-2016: Personal bodyguard for Park Sooyoung. CEO of Velvet Corporation.

- 2016-2017: Executive protection for BANG Org. 

- 2018-2020: Personal Assistant / Bodyguard for  Kim Sojung. CEO of Kim Corp.

- 2020-2022: Executive protection for Kim Corp.


 

"You worked for Sojung-unnie?"

 

"Yep! She's nice enough to recommend me for this job…who knows why~" The way she says it makes Eunbi suspect there's something more, but she doesn't ask further.


 

Education: 2012-2014 SOTS High school


 

Huh. Yerin went to the same high school as Eunbi and Yewon, just 2 years earlier. Before Yerin can comment anything else, Eunbi closes the folder with a huff. If anything, Yerin is more qualified for guarding Yewon than she had thought. If anything, Yerin's resume is more crowded than Eunbi's own data– both figuratively and literally, Eunbi groans at the multiple comments, scribbled with bright yellow markers. "Have Mr. Kim or Sojung-unnie briefed you on your duties?"

 

"Yep, follow both of you around, make sure you're not injured, keep away all suspicious people…Oh! I’m supposed to live here too!" Yerin takes a quick look around the mansion, as if she's looking for a place to sleep in the first place.

 

"Both of us…?"

 

"And all the people living in this large mansion." Yerin adds, nodding her head. "Including Yuna, I met her in the garden half an hour ago…she promised to give me flowers later–"

 

"Ah. You met Yuna already."

 

Yuna is the resident gardener, keeping their garden prim and proper. She talks weirdly, often implementing flower language and aesthetic words to her speech. Eunbi finds it hard to understand her, but Yewon seems to enjoy Yuna's company.

 

At that moment, Yewon walks in with a bow. “Yerin-ssi, good morning.”

 

“Yewon-ssi,” Yerin bows as well, her polite demeanor non-existent only when it’s with Eunbi. 

 

“Has my father informed you about your duties?”

 

“Yes, consider everything done, Yewon-ssi.” Yerin confidently smiles, “I’ve studied every part of the mansion clearly, so you don’t need to worry.”

 

Yewon smiles at Yerin’s bright personality. “That’s good. You’ll be working with Eunbi…so I hope you’ll …put up with her personality.”

 

Eunbi shoots a glare at Yewon, “Hey!”

 

Yerin laughs, “Don’t worry Yewon-ssi, we’ll be great buddies.”

 

The woman gives her a look, and all Eunbi wants is to wipe the grin off her face.


 

***


 

Since then, Eunbi doesn’t actually interact with Yerin at all.

 

Yewon spends most of her time at home, so neither Yerin or Eunbi needs to follow her too closely. The mansion is located in a private land that is highly guarded after all. She tries to avoid the woman, but it’s hard when their bedrooms are across from each other. She knows Yerin is befriending the rest of the staff and maids quite nicely, especially Yuna who visits every now and then.

 

The memory of their first meeting, along with the terrible first impression, makes Eunbi have such a bad opinion of the older girl.

 

(“I think she’s fun,” Yewon says lightly,

 

“She flirted with me the first time she met me and pointed out annoyingly that I was only wearing my shirt.”

 

Yewon coughs out her food in surprise. Once she gathers her composure, she gives Eunbi a look. “That sounds like your mistake.”

 

“She was checking me out!”

 

“That sounds like a good thing.”

 

“It’s not!”)


 

***


 

Eunbi hasn’t seen Yerin’s actual capabilities in person, whether or not she’s actually as good as her resume says. She has her doubts, many of them. She has seen Yerin’s clumsiness, especially in the kitchen where she’d occasionally burden some of the maids due to her mistakes. Eunbi is just as terrible at cooking, so she won’t judge her further. She also doesn’t know if Yerin is only doing those to approach the maids and flirt with them.

 

Not only them, even Yuna, Yewon and especially Eunbi, become Yerin’s target for her flirting. However, Eunbi does everything she could to avoid and ignore Yerin’s continuous advances.

 

Basically, Eunbi is doubtful, considering Yerin’s carefree personality. She knows from the start that they won’t work well together in the end. That’s why she’s extra cautious nowadays.

 

“Eunbi-ya, Yewon is an adult. She doesn’t need you to be that close to her.” Yerin points out, following both women some distance away. She talks to the in-ear piece, so that Eunbi can hear her directly.

 

“Didn’t you hear about Sojung-unnie? It’s dangerous, Jung.” Eunbi hisses back, earning a worried look from Yewon.

 

“It’s a convenience store, Eunbi-ya.”

 

Yewon, listening to the entire conversation, regrets her choice of going to a nearby store to test her bodyguard’s performance. If anything, she needs protection from them.

 

***

 

“Do you always glare at high-ranking and wealthy CEOs?” Yerin has to ask, a bit frightened from Eunbi’s intense glare.

 

“That’s Mr.Baek. He’s the no.1 annoying business partner that always bothers Yewon.”

 

“I don’t think he’s suspicious.” Yerin says lightly, “Maybe just greedy and arrogant, but no malice whatsoever.”

 

Eunbi points a glare at her colleague, “We don’t know that.”

 

“He just seems like a guy who loves his money. Partnering with Kim Corp gives him that. There’s no reason for him to offend Yewon.”

 

“He is annoying her though,” Eunbi sees the weary look on Yewon and grumbles under her breath.

 

***

 

“Will you stop bothering me?” Eunbi finally has enough of Yerin’s comments and attempts to start a conversation. 

 

“I’m not bothering you…” Yerin shrugs, “This event is too boring for my taste, I can’t help it.”

 

“You’re a bodyguard, Jung.”

 

“I’m a human too.”

 

Eunbi sighs, realizing that replying to Yerin won’t get her anywhere. She stares at her hand watch and back at Yewon, standing on the stage, currently ending the event with a proper speech. “Jung, stand by."

 

"Is there something wrong?"

 

"Yewon is finishing her speech."

 

"Sure." Yerin departs and stands near the staircase leading to the exit.

 

True to Eunbi's words, Yewon ends the speech, inciting loud claps from the crowds of attendees. She turns to leave with Yerin guiding her down.

 

Suddenly, a man wearing a staff uniform accidentally bumps on Yewon while he is on his way to the backroom. "I'm sorry, Miss." 

 

Eunbi is immediately on her way towards them, but 5 steps away, the staff has already left with a bow. "Who is that?"

 

Yerin glances at Eunbi after she also bows at the staff. "Seems like a clumsy staff who needs to hurry,"

 

"You should've prevented that. He could be there to attack Yewon!" Eunbi's glare deepens as all the built up annoyance, anger and impatience resurfaces. 

 

"It's fine, Eunbi. Let's go." Yewon holds Eunbi's wrist, just in case she'd cause a full blown fight with the new bodyguard.

 

Eunbi sends one last glare at Yerin before dragging Yewon away. 

 

"You should be more patient." Yewon quips from behind her.

 

"She should stop being so annoying."

 

"Yerin unnie is being nice and friendly–"

 

"We're bodyguards. One mistake could risk everything." Eunbi grits her teeth. There may be some irrationality in her worries, but that's how it is. If she let herself relax even for 1 second, she could be 1 second too late in protecting Yewon. Eunbi doesn't want that at all.

 

"Still…" 

 

Eunbi points a look that promptly makes Yewon sigh in resignation. The latter has to leave and actually converse with the guests, leaving Eunbi once again with Yerin alone. She stands straight and only focuses on her friend.

 

"Look, Eunbi-ya." Yerin leans close to Eunbi, "I get that you're so serious all the time, but don't you think you're overdoing it?"

 

"I'm not." Eunbi doesn't flinch at all, despite Yerin's breath brushing against her neck.

 

"Sure, but–"

 

"No buts. Shut the up, Jung."

 

"You don't have to curse at me." Yerin shrugs, finally leaving Eunbi in peace. She walks away until she's a considerable distance from her, mimicking Eunbi's pose– Straight, proper and unmoving. 

 

Once the silence comes and what Eunbi actually says washed in, she realizes that maybe she went too far. Eunbi bites her lower lip, 'it doesn't matter' she chants inside her head.

 

Somehow that night goes longer than usual. The scene replays continuously inside her mind, along with various alternate outcomes if Eunbi could be a little more patient. It has felt like forever when Yewon finally approaches her, not before sneaking a glance at Yerin, and informs her that the event will end soon and she will leave in approximately 10 minutes.

 

"Yewon is leaving in 10 minutes, can you clear the exit?" Once Yewon returns to the center of the event, Eunbi goes to Yerin.

 

"On it." Yerin nods expressionless, immediately leaving to see the exit route.

 

Eunbi blinks, before grumbling under her breath when she returns to her position. 'It doesn't matter.' She chants again in an attempt to brainwash herself.

 

It doesn't work, and Eunbi feels guilt clouding her heart.

 

"You look troubled," Yewon points out.

 

Eunbi doesn't even realize 10 minutes have passed, nor that Yewon has been staring at her for a full moment. "It's nothing. Are you ready to leave?"

 

Yewon is clearly concerned, and her expression screams worry. But she stays mum and nods instead. They can talk about it in a more private place– Yewon's room like usual. She waits for Eunbi to take the lead, following directly behind the bodyguard.

 

The exit route is completely clear, with no journalist or wandering guests that have gone lost. It's empty, and Eunbi knows it's all thanks to Yerin.

 

"Where's Yerin unnie?"

 

"...At the Exit route."

 

Yewon sighs, when she asked Yerin several days ago to put up with Eunbi's personality– she meant it literally. 

 

She can only hope they'll get along in the near future.


 

***


 

They meet Yerin on the exit door, and once she confirms that Yewon will be leaving, she follows Eunbi and Yewon behind without speaking too much. It's definitely different from the usual Yerin– Bright and chirpy. 

 

Eunbi struggles to avoid the sharp glare from Yewon.

 

The ride towards the mansion is as awkward as expected. Normally Yerin would increase the tension and lift up the mood, but it was total silence. It's killing Eunbi inside and she really only wants to be home on her bed right now. Maybe sleeping will chase the feelings away.

 

But of course, that's impossible because the moment they step foot inside the mansion, Yewon has already forcefully dragged Eunbi towards her room.

 

"What did you say to Yerin unnie?"

 

"I reminded her to take this job seriously…"

 

"Eunbi…"

 

"I also told her to shut the up…"

 

"Is that necessary?" 

 

Eunbi is reduced to silence, "Maybe not."

 

Yewon sighs, "You should apologize."

 

Eunbi gets rid of her ego for a moment and nods. She admits she lacks patience that one time and may have gone overboard. There's no reason to act rude and curse at Yerin at all– especially when Yerin is older and is her senior. "I'll apologize tomorrow–"

 

"Now."

 

"Yewon…"

 

Yewon gives her a small smile, "I know you're guilty too, it's all over your frowny face. The faster you finish the problem you made, the better. Don't worry, Yerin unnie is really nice."

 

Eunbi purses her lips, "She talks too much sometimes."

 

"You don't mind that, right?" Yewon points out, "The only reason you blew up at her is because you were too serious lately, and Yerin's personality doesn't mesh with you that well. Your insistence to be better than Yerin unnie is clouding your head. In the end, it's not Yerin unnie's fault at all."

 

It feels like Yewon has shot multiple arrows into her chest– her simple words hitting every worry and insecurities Eunbi had. "I'm sorry." She quietly mumbles. "I guess I was too on the edge lately."

 

"It's fine. Just talk to Yerin unnie and compromise, okay?" Yewon softens slightly right after. She finally turns from Eunbi and sits on her bed. "You should talk to her. That'll clear up the problems."

 

Eunbi nods with a deep breath, once thinking of it deeper, it’s better if she solves their problem as quickly as possible. "I'll find her now."

 

"Good luck," Eunbi smiles at Yewon before leaving her room. All she needs to do now is to find Yerin.


 

***


 

On her way to find Yerin, Eunbi bumps into Yuna near the kitchen.

 

She had knocked on Yerin's door multiple times, before finding out that Yerin wasn't there in the first place. Eunbi sighs, noting that Yerin must have been seriously upset. The guilt only grows after her conversation with Yewon, so she decides to set off and find the older girl immediately.

 

"Oh Eunbi!" Yuna brightens up after Eunbi enters the overly large kitchen. "Rough day?"

 

"You have no idea." 

 

"Cheer up!" Yuna slides her a plate of watermelon slices. "Eat this. Yerin unnie gave me so much watermelon that it can seriously feed the entire mansion."

 

Eunbi freezes, "Jung gave you watermelons?"

 

"Apparently her parents were a little too happy when Yerin unnie told them about her new post here." Yuna shrugs, bringing a slice of the juicy fruit to and biting them.

 

Staring at the tasty looking watermelon, Eunbi wonders if she has the right to take it when Yerin is upset with her. "No thanks. I'm full already."

 

"You sure?" 

 

"Positive."

 

Yuna shrugs again, "Suit yourself."

 

"Do you know where Jung– Yerin unnie is?"

 

Yuna suspiciously stares at Eunbi for a moment. "I saw her walking by after Yewon came back. Though I haven't seen her again. She went that way."

 

Perhaps asking Yuna for directions is an idiotic thing– Eunbi has to guess where Yuna is pointing, vaguely leading her somewhere. "Are you sure?"

 

Yuna fakes offense, "I'm bad at directions, but I'm serious."

 

A chuckle leaves her lips, "Sorry Yuna. I'll go now."

 

"You know– If you just asked, Yerin unnie would definitely give you the watermelons herself."

 

"Huh?"

 

"Nothing~"

 

After Yuna's mysterious comment, Eunbi strides forward to where Yuna pointed at. It leads her to the living room, where she finds someone surprising.

 

"Eunha-unnie? Why are you here?"

 

Eunha is surprised herself, "Eunbi! Long time no see!"

 

Her mind drifts to Sojung for a moment, and Eunbi pieces the hints together. "Is Sojung back already?"

 

But Eunha shakes her head slowly. "Not yet, unfortunately. She still has so much business in the States. I'm here to pick up a few important folders that she accidentally left." 

 

"Ah…" Eunbi then nods, "I can help you search for them if you want."

 

"Oh no need!" Eunha shows the inside of her bag, multiple folders stacked together. "Yerin unnie managed to find everything for me. It's all around the mansion and Sojung's room, but she managed to fetch everything."

 

"...you know Yerin unnie?" It seems like the universe is telling her something important that she has continuously ignored for the past week. That Yerin is really nice but Eunbi is so trapped in her head to realize that fact. She was being friendly for god's sake, and all Eunbi does is reject her kindness.

 

"Yerin unnie used to be Sojung unnie's personal bodyguard in the company. I think Yerin requested to be transferred here when Sojung unnie allowed her." Eunha explains cutely, "She's really nice– she looked tired when I met her but Yerin unnie insisted on helping. Thanks to her, I got all the files I needed pretty quickly!" She zips her bag quickly as she turns to her watch. "I gotta leave, Eunbi. Better not miss my flight."

 

Eunbi waves at Eunha, watching the small girl running with her short legs towards the door.

 

"…" Eunbi curses to herself, slumping her shoulders as she resumes her walk around the mansion.

 

Her steps become shorter as Eunbi starts to feel exhausted. Her face is filled with daze the moment she notices a lone figure in the garden, glazed in moonlight. Her walk comes to a halt, face visibly entranced by that person.

 

And it seems like that person has noticed her too.

 

Yerin stands in the middle of the well-kept garden, having changed to a more casual fit. Bright yellow hoodie and shorts. Eunbi can only describe the look as completely 'Yerin'. She doesn't realize she was staring until the older person's face comes closer to her. 

 

It may be the moon or the different look– but Eunbi suddenly sees her in a new light.

 

"Eunbi-ya?" Yerin slowly nudges her shoulder, finally breaking her out of her imagination.

 

"Yerin unnie…"

 

"Not 'Jung' anymore?" There's sneer in her remark that Eunbi tries hard to ignore.

 

"We–" Eunbi clears , slightly uncomfortable, "We're not working now…"

 

"I see."

 

Yerin has always had a lot of things to share. Some that Eunbi actually listens to thoroughly. When met with an expressionless Yerin who speaks only short replies, Eunbi shuffles in her feet in discomfort. Somehow she's unable to gather her courage to apologize like how Yewon told her to– Hell, she can't even look at Yerin's eyes. Not when the light is gone and there's only coldness there.

 

"I– I'm here to apologize," Eunbi stutters her words, fervently avoiding Yerin's eye contact. "It's completely my mistake that uhm…"

 

"That you…?"

 

Eunbi inhaled sharply. She decides to spit everything out right now. "I didn't like that there's a new bodyguard when I have been with Yewon for years. It felt like I wasn't doing enough and it pissed me off. I'm sorry that I was hard and rude to you– You didn't do anything wrong but I still projected my anger onto you anyway. That's why I'm sorry."

 

She doesn't hear a reply in some time, and Eunbi fears that she actually seriously upsetted Yerin.

 

"It's okay, I'm sorry too." Yerin says, tilting her head to meet Eunbi's unfocused eyes.

 

"W-Why are you sorry?" 

 

"Well first of all– I did tease you when you aren't wearing anything on my first day–"

 

Eunbi flushes deep crimson immediately, "Please don't mention that…"

 

"And I guess I've come to realize that my personality isn't for everyone. I'm sorry I've been too playful while doing serious work." 

Please log in to read the full chapter