Chapter 1

Masterpiece

“I heard the ribs there are to die for!” Wheein said as she skipped around her girlfriend.

 

Hyejin laughed, “I can’t wait, gosh, I’m hungry already.”

 

“This is going to be fun, just me and you together,” Wheein said as she stopped in front of Hyejin and took her hand.

 

They walked holding hands, swinging them occasionally. They were on their way to a restaurant that Wheein just heard of from a friend of hers, a restaurant where she knew Hyejin would love, so she immediately placed a reservation and took Hyejin out. The street was bustling with people going around, some rushing to some place, some walking briskly like they were, couples and singles alike. Wheein used to get jealous when she saw couples going around and even feel disgusted and annoyed when they showed affection in public, but now, she could care less about them as she had her own girlfriend, she even does the things she was disgusted and annoyed with back then.

 

Their walk was suddenly put to a halt when Wheein suddenly gasped. She pulled the surprised Hyejin to the thing that caught her attention. It was a poster of an art exhibition that was happening nearby.

 

"Hyejin, look! They have an art exhibition just across the street. Can we go there?"

 

"Wheein, we're going to the restaurant." Hyejin said as she crossed her arms and pouted.

 

"We won't be long! I want to see it, please?" She pleaded, clasping her hands in front of her and doing her best puppy eyes at Hyejin.

 

"No, I'm hungry, and you always take a long time at exhibitions,"

 

Wheein proceeded to jump from one foot to another, channeling her inner puppy in hopes that it will sway her girlfriend.

 

Hyejin scoffed at her adorable girlfriend's effort, how could she say no to that face?

 

Wheein giggled when she knew she had succeeded and took Hyejin’s hand and pulled her towards the art exhibition. 


 

They arrived at the exhibition, paid for their entrance fee and went inside. The place was filled with art enthusiasts like Wheein, who were busy admiring the art pieces being displayed. It was a group exhibition by artists who shared the same theme and art style but were still able to convey their own meaning in their crafts.

 

The couple moved around the exhibition, pondering and admiring pieces together. Hyejin would share her thoughts then Wheein would share her insights. 

 

"What do you think these chairs mean?" Hyejin asked, eyeing a set of chairs that was placed in the middle of a room.

 

Wheein gave it a thought for a little while before she shrugged, "I don't know, probably some symbolism behind it."

 

Hyejin looked around the room to find clues and snickered when she found them. Wheein was still trying to decipher the meaning of the chairs, tiptoeing to see the top and bending down to see the bottom, when Hyejin came up behind her and pulled her to stand. 

 

"I already know what they are," Hyejin announced proudly.

 

"Really? What are they?" Wheein asked, eyes shining bright.

 

"They're just chairs to sit to watch the slideshow," Hyejin pointed at the screen not far from the chairs, "it's a video instructions for in case of emergencies situations,"

 

Wheein blushed and the pair quickly went out of the room whilst giggling to themselves. "That was embarrassing, good thing there was nobody else in the room,"

 

"True, but there are probably CCTV's but that's none of our concern, unless they decide to upload them to the internet,"

 

Wheein laughed at what Hyejin had said, "Imagine the headlines!"

 

Wheein was staring at a piece, pondering the meaning and story behind the craft, "Hyejin, what do you think-" she paused as she looked around, realizing her lover was nowhere to be found. She started to look around, she must've taken a long time staring at that piece if she didn't even realize Hyejin was gone. She felt guilty. She promised she wouldn't take a long time and they'd go to the restaurant as soon as possible but she broke that.

 

It didn't take Wheein long to find her as she was just around the corner. But what she found took her breath away. Hyejin was staring at a piece, a hand under her chin, head held high in adoration, and a soft smile plastered on her red painted lips. They were in an art exhibition, filled by high qualities art pieces, but in Wheein’s opinion, the woman that stood in front of her was the true masterpiece in this building, in this world even! How lucky was she to be allowed to be with her, hold her hands, kiss her and to wake up next to her. Wheein smiled adoringly as she made her way to Hyejin, who seemed to still be in deep thoughts and appreciation on the art piece, Wheein couldn't help but to feel proud.

 

"Hey, what are you looking at?" She asked as she stood beside Hyejin and placed her arm around her.

 

Hyejin glanced at Wheein as she chuckled, "Tiddies."

 

"What?" 

 

"Look," she pointed, "tiddies!"

 

Wheein sighed as she looked at the painting, it was an abstract painting of two women. No wonder Hyejin was fixated on this thing, she thought. 

 

Hyejin was still laughing and talking about her own analysis of the painting (which was absurd) by the time they arrived at the restaurant, and all Wheein could think about was how much she loves this woman.