[IAHIL]

I am happy I loved

 

Miyeon walks to the living room, despite the late hour of the afternoon, it is already dark outside. Someone has already lightened up the candles around her apartment, and she can smell a delicious smell coming from the kitchen. Her tired eyes catch her reflection in the mirrors of the hallway and she smiles when she sees herself. With time, she has started to appreciate seeing herself grow older. The corners of her eyes show how much she has laughed, her forehead is a testimony of her worries, and her cheeks reflect her smiling nature.

 

« You are inviting yourself to my place now? »

 

« My mom told me to cook you something yummy before you come home. »

 

Miyeon chuckles, she enters the living room, and from the bar separating the two rooms, she can see Shuhua doing her best to cook a proper dinner. The young girl jumps in surprise when she hears the rice cooker ringing. Miyeon wants to help her, but Shuhua pushes her away, telling her to relax and that she can handle it all on her own.

 

« I will have to thank your mom, later. »

 

« Mom is worried about you. Everyone is, Miss Cho. Ever since you have felt down the stairs, the whole building has been worried. »

 

« Ah… I am doing fine, I told you already. I know I am not my youngest, but I am not that old already. »

 

« No one thinks you are that old. They just really like you, and we want to be sure you are doing okay. Mom… Since you are living on your own, my mom thinks you could use some company. »

 

« … I see, I see. I don’t want to become a chore for everyone. I can manage on my own. »

 

« You will have to work hard to convince my mom. I think it is better if you just accept it. »

 

Miyeon laughs, and Shuhua looks at her with a happy smile. She is almost done with the food and is now preparing the table. Miyeon likes to eat on the floor, so she made sure it was warmed up before the woman came back home. She settles the rice, and the side dishes before coming back to the kitchen for the main dish.

 

Miyeon is already sitting in front of the table, and by habit, she steals some kimchi with her fingers. Shuhua chuckles when she sees her doing it, she finds it amusing that an adult like Miss Cho is acting like a child at times. And maybe this is why she likes hanging at Miss Cho’s place so often. There, it feels calm, and Miss Cho always has some sweets for her and a cup of tea.

 

« Here. I hope it will taste good. I only learned this recipe recently. »

 

« I wonder who taught you how to cook it… Your mom never has the patience to teach you. »

 

Miyeon watches Shuhua with her teasing eyes while the younger is serving them both. Shuhua can’t hide the red of her cheeks, and she knows Miss Cho knows the answer. Once they are both served and told their thankfulness for the food, Miyeon takes the first bite followed by Shuhua who is watching attentively the woman’s reaction.

 

« How is it? »

 

« Who taught you, dear Shuhua? »

 

Shuhua looks down at her bowl of rice. When she looks back up, Miss Cho is looking at her with a warm smile, and Shuhua knows she doesn’t have to worry so much about what the woman will say. Miss Cho is a very understanding person, she always has a warm tone to her voice, and she likes Shuhua like her own grandchild.

 

« It is Soojin… She taught me last month, and I have been practicing ever since. »

 

Miyeon nods, a contemplative smile on her lips as she continues eating the delicious food. Shuhua lets out a small breath when she realizes Miss Cho doesn’t judge her. Instead, the woman seems even more enthusiastic about the food.

 

« I like this Soojin girl. You should bring her here more often. »

 

« I will. Soojin is a great cook. It is thanks to her that I am better in the kitchen. »

 

« … This girl must love you a lot. I remember seeing your mom trying to teach you. »

 

« She… She has a lot of patience. »

 

Shuhua timidly answers before focusing back on her food. Her eyes wander around the room, and she notices some things have changed ever since her last visit to Miss Cho’s apartment. The plants have been put to the side, and a miniature of a motorcycle is now decorating the library among the books.

 

Shuhua has always liked coming to Miss Cho’s apartment, from the very first time the woman invited her family to get to know them when they moved in, the times her mom sent her to help Miss Cho carry her groceries home, the times her mom told her to join Miss Cho on her walks during winter, and the times during year-end celebrations where her mom always invites Miss Cho to share this moment with them. One year, the whole building gathered to celebrate the new year and Shuhua remembers seeing how teary Miss Cho got.

 

After the event of Miss Cho’s fall on the stairs, everyone has been extra carrying for the woman. Shuhua’s mom has been cooking a lot for her, and Shuhua has been tasked to distract the woman during the time she couldn’t walk. She has played games with the woman and watched old movies. Turns out Miss Cho loves Hong Kong movies and even speaks Chinese, she said she wasn’t that fluent anymore, but Shuhua could understand everything she said, and they watched the movies in their original version to Shuhua’s pleasure.

 

Now that the woman is getting better, Shuhua’s mom only sends her daughter once a week to check on her. Shuhua has grown a lot of affection for the woman and never complains when her mom tells her to go see Miss Cho. She even drops by on her own in the afternoon when she finishes school early. One time she brought Soojin with her, and Miss Cho was even happier to see the girl Shuhua has been telling her about. It was around this time that she understood Shuhua was liking Soojin a bit more than as a friend, and she has been teasing the young girl about it ever since.

 

« Why is there a motorcycle in your library? Did you use to ride one? »

 

Miyeon looks behind her, she notices the motorcycle in question and laughs at Shuhua’s question.

 

« No. I never rode one on my own. But I had a friend, a really good friend who used to ride one. »

 

« Ah, that’s so cool. My mom refuses that I even climb on one. She thinks it is too dangerous. »

 

« She is right, it is dangerous. »

 

Shuhua frowns at Miss Cho’s words and continues to eat with a sad pout on her lips. It doesn’t go unnoticed by the woman. She puts down her chopsticks and Shuhua does as such, even if she is still very much hungry.

 

« My dear Shuhua, have you ever wondered why I live on my own? »

 

Shuhua frowns for a second before shrugging and waits for Miss Cho to answer the question.

 

« A long time ago, I was your age. »

 

Shuhua chuckles, and Miss Cho can’t help but smile at the younger’s reaction. She waits until Shuhua calms down to continue.

 

« Thinking about it now, this is quite a long story. We should finish eating first. »

 

Shuhua groans, Miss Cho has picked her interest and now she wants to know what kind of story she will tell her. She continues to eat, her curious eyes going from Miss Cho to the motorcycle in the library. Miss Cho doesn’t say anything else when Shuhua tries to ask her question, making Shuhua’s curiosity reach a new peak.

 

Shuhua cleans up the table, and the kitchen before preparing a cup of tea for Miss Cho and herself and then joining the woman in the living room. She sits down upright, ready to listen to the woman, her dark eyes sparkling with excitement, and Miss Cho laughs at her before clearing .

 

« As I was saying, I was your age… Maybe older, and for most of my life I have been learning ballet. I always wanted to become a ballet dancer, and every second of freedom I had, I was spending it practicing, until the movements, the music, and the effort became natural. I think, from my early four years old to my late thirties, I danced every day, everywhere. »

 

« I didn’t know you were a dancer. Why have you stopped dancing? »

 

« You are too eager, my dear. This is a long story, and I can’t just tell you everything on the spot. »

 

Shuhua apologizes and asks Miss Cho to continue. She notices the coldness of the night starting to creep around them, and she gets a plaid for Miss Cho and one for herself before the woman continues her story.

« When I was eighteen, I got selected to enter a prestigious school dance. There I could pursue my studies and my passion. I was excited to no end, and I ran around my small town to tell everybody about it. It was a small village and everyone knew everyone.

The day I left it behind me, everyone went to tell me goodbye. I think I cried very hard this day, and when I arrived at the school, my eyes were very puffy. Some students made fun of me. I think… It was around this time that I stopped seeing the world as a colorful place. Everything was gray there. Dancing was stripped of the joy I used to feel, it was very difficult for me to adapt, and I stopped being happy. I passed my first year, but I didn’t come back home for the holidays. »

 

Shuhua watches Miss Cho’s eyes becoming sad, a rare emotion in the woman. Quietly, she reaches for the woman’s hand and caresses it. Miss Cho sighs and drinks a bit from her cup of tea.

 

« What did you do during the holidays? »

 

« I went to a dance studio, and there I danced. I was finally away from the strict looks of my teachers, and the high expectations of everyone. I was dancing just for myself, and I started to feel good again.

It so happens that a girl a bit younger than me has been coming to see me dance every day. She was so discreet I didn’t notice her until one dance teacher at the studio told me about it. One day, I came up to her and asked her if she wanted to join me. We spent the whole summer dancing together. I taught her ballet, and she told me hip hop.

I felt happy again this summer, and I was not at all eager to go back to dance school. »

 

« Did you stay friends with the girl? »

 

« Nope. She was only in Korea for her vacation, and she went back to China. »

 

« Oh! Is this why you speak Chinese? »

 

Miyeon laughs, and Shuhua watches how happiness wrinkles her face. Her young eyes look in admiration at the woman, Miss Cho despite her age is beautiful, and Shuhua wonders if it has something to do with the happiness she seems to carry with her.

 

« Not really. But don’t forget about her, she will come back later on. »

 

« What is her name then? »

 

« Song Yuqi. »

 

Shuhua frowns, somehow her name is quite familiar but she doesn’t remember where she heard it before. She nods to Miss Cho’s words and asks her to continue.

 

« I went back to the dance school. The second year was worse than the first one, I thought about giving up almost every week. I felt exhausted and desperate, I couldn’t find any meaningful relationships, and I was without any friends. Everyone was seeing others as rivals, and there was a strong competitive spirit at all times. Teachers thought it would bring out the best in us to keep us in this state.

It brought me to my lowest, and I fell ill. I acted like it wasn’t the case, but it got to the point that I could barely breathe. They called my parents and I was brought back home. »

 

« What happened? »

 

« I stayed with them for the remaining of the year. I couldn’t move for the first weeks, and I realized I has lost too much weight. The doctor said my muscles were eating themselves because I wasn’t eating enough and my activities were too much. I think I have never felt this weak in my entire life. Fortunately, my parents took care of me.

When the sun came back, I was already so much better. I could walk around and was eating better. I don’t know if I was happy at this time, but I was feeling lighter. With my parents, I decided to drop out of school. »

 

« Your parents weren’t disappointed that you didn’t continue? »

 

« I thought they would be disappointed as well. But they saw their daughter in such a distressed state, I think they believed it was best for me to put an end to this while I still could. They told me they will be here, and that they wanted me to find a job that would make me happy. »

 

« What did you do after? You said you kept dancing until your late thirties. »

 

Miyeon seems to think for a second, she drinks more of her tea. Shuhua looks at her with expectations.

 

« I didn’t dance right away. Instead, I worked with my parents. They were farmers, and so I helped them in the plantations for harvesting. It was a very physical job, but it helped me think about nothing, and focus on the present. »

 

« I know what you mean. Back in Taiwan, my grandparents used to ask me to help them with the garden. It was very tiring. »

 

Miyeon chuckles and settles for a warm smile. She feels her eyes becoming heavy, and she knows for now she should stop her story. Shuhua seems to realize as well, she cleans up the cup and puts everything in its place in the living room. Miyeon notices the pout present on her lips as she does everything in silence.

 

« Come by tomorrow, and I will tell you the remaining of the story. You can bring your friend Soojin too. »

 

Shuhua blushes and turns her head away. Miyeon only chuckles before walking Shuhua to the door, the young girl thanks Miss Cho for the story and wishes her goodnight before climbing the stairs to her floor. Miyeon watches her going home, and closes her door when she hears Shuhua’s door opening.

 


 

Miyeon wakes up finding a word from Shuhua on her counter. She reads it with a smile as she waits for her coffee to be made. Quite naturally, a friendship has been forming between the two ever since Shuhua’s mom has been tasking her daughter to help her. Miyeon doesn’t believe she is that old, but she has to admit she isn’t all young anymore.

 

Her body doesn’t feel the same as it used to be, when she passes in front of a mirror, she always feels surprised to see her reflection. It is a good surprise, she is glad to have lived so long and to have been able to experience so much during her life. This is what she always wanted. Talking with Shuhua brings comfort to her life, in a way she never expected. She never had any children, and she believes she would have loved raising a kid like Shuhua.

 

Her mind wanders to the past, and she has to clean up some tears. It has been quite some time now since she has talked about it to anyone. It feels good to share it with Shuhua, and she hopes it will help the girl.

 

Miyeon meets an old friend of hers for lunch, and when she goes back home in the afternoon, one of the residents of the building asks her for some help. The man is a writer, and he often asks Miyeon for some advice on his work. She stays at his place for an hour, giving her thoughts, and enjoying tea with him before going home. Less than an hour later, she hears Shuhua opening the door.

 

« Miss Cho? It is me, Shuhua. »

 

« Come in. I was just about to make some sweets. »

 

« Soojin is with me too. »

 

Miyeon finishes putting on the counter everything she will need before walking to meet the two girls. Shuhua is smiling big at her, and Soojin is standing behind her, as always a little shy. Miyeon tells them to come in and sit at the bar while she cooks. Shuhua immediately starts to talk, telling Miyeon about her day, and also about her mom who invited Miss Cho for lunch this weekend.

 

Soojin is quietly watching Miss Cho weighing and putting all the ingredients in a bowl. Miyeon watches her too from the corner of her eyes, she sees the necklace hanging around her neck, the BFF one that Shuhua gifted her last year – Shuhua told her about it. Miyeon offers the two students a glass of water.

 

« I told Soojin about your story. She wants to hear the rest of it too! »

 

« Oh really? Then I am glad to have a bigger audience. »

 

Miyeon chuckles and Shuhua smiles Soojin’s way. Miyeon finds them adorable in their uniforms, and she thinks about her own. She hasn’t kept it, but she has pictures of herself wearing it.

 

« Where did I leave off yesterday? »

 

« You were working with your parents in the fields! »

 

« That’s about right. »

 

Miyeon thinks for a moment as she mixed the dough. She doesn’t miss the way Shuhua slightly leans on Soojin as she gets ready to listen to Miyeon’s story.

 

« Summer came to an end, so I decided to go to university. I have always been a good student, and I had enough of living back with my parents. I went to a different city than the one of the dance school, I had too many bad memories there.

I went to a university in a smaller city, and it happened to be situated only one hour away from the sea. »

 

« What did you study? »

 

« Korean literature, with a side of history. I believe you noticed I love my books. »

 

Shuhua chuckles and glances at the giant library in the living room, there is another one in Miyeon’s room as well. The two must count more than a hundred books. Soojin follows Shuhua’s glance and notices the huge library as well.

 

« Miss Cho, why are you telling us all this story when I only asked about the motorcycle? »

 

« You are too eager. It will make sense in the end. If I only answer your question, then you will ask other questions and I will just end up telling you the whole story in bites. »

 

Soojin chuckles as Shuhua is gently scolded by the woman. Miyeon gives them both a bowl of fruits to wait until the sweets are cooked. Shuhua digs in immediately while Soojin only watches Shuhua eat. Shuhua takes one bite for herself before giving one to Soojin, and Miyeon watches with a happy smile how it seems very natural to the two.

 

« I spend my first year at the library. The university has a huge collection of books, and I could spend my days reading there. I don’t know if I was happy, but it was a nice change from everything I experienced before. Expectations weren’t burning me down, and the teachers were passionate about their subject and very willing to answer all of my questions as well. I made some friends and went to parties like young people. »

 

The three chuckle together. Miyeon is now putting the dough on the dish before putting it in the oven. Shuhua gives another bite of fruit to Soojin.

 

« I went home for the summer and helped with the harvest again. »

 

« You didn’t dance? »

 

Miyeon is surprised to hear Soojin’s voice. She pauses a moment to think back.

 

« I don’t think I did. Reading was giving me comfort, and I wasn’t feeling like dancing anymore. »

 

« What made you dance again? »

 

« Love. »

 

« What’s his name? »

 

Miyeon finishes putting the dish in the oven and starts to clean the kitchen. She waits until she can face the two girls to answer.

 

« Her name. »

 

Shuhua opens her eyes big, while Soojin’s cheeks become red. Miyeon laughs at the two and goes back to her sink to clean her utensils. She hears some whispers behind her, and she leaves the two alone for a moment.

 

« What’s her name, then? »

 

« Kim Minnie. Or Nicha Yontarak. It depends. »

 

« It depends? How can she have two names? »

 

Shuhua is very much invested in the story now, and Soojin tries her best to make the younger calm down. She pats Shuhua’s head and tells her to not scream at Miss Cho. Shuhua apologizes.

 

« She was a foreigner. »

 

« Like Yuqi? »

 

Soojin lifts an eyebrow at the familiar name. Miyeon nods at Shuhua’s question.

 

« Let’s call her Minnie. Well, she made me dance again, but we aren’t at this part of the story yet. »

 

« Ergh! »

 

Soojin slaps Shuhua’s side, and the girl apologizes again to Miyeon.

 

« My second year was a bit different. I dated someone. »

 

« Minnie! »

 

Shuhua gasps at the name. When Miyeon tells her it wasn’t her, she immediately starts to pout. Soojin rolls her eyes on the side.

 

« It was a boy. I don’t really remember his name. He was my first real relationship with someone. I don’t know if I was in love with him. Thinking back, I don’t think I ever felt more than empathy for him, but at this time I thought he was everything. I think my friends built in me the want to be with him. He was handsome and was the one who pursued me.

I said yes when he asked me on a date, and I said yes again when he asked me to be his girlfriend. I remember after we became official, it was expected for us to always be with one another. It was a new experience for me, and I was very curious about everything. I think he understood quickly that I didn’t know much about relationships. »

 

« Did he do something mean to you? »

 

« Oh… We can say that. He cheated on me with one of my friends. I was… devastated. Not that he cheated on me, but that my friend never apologized. I thought friendship meant the same thing for my friends as it meant for me. Turns out, it wasn’t the case.

I felt lonely for a while. Once the year ended, I didn’t go back home. I wandered around and ended up taking the train to the beach. One afternoon, I met Minnie. »

 

Miyeon chuckles when she hears the two girls gasping. Shuhua has her hands joined together, and Soojin’s eyes are glued on Miyeon. The woman tells them to come to the living room to be more comfortable. She sits on the floor, and Shuhua and Soojin imitate her, Shuhua sitting between Soojin’s legs.

 

« It was very windy, and the waves were crashing against the sand in a very harsh way. Minnie was riding those waves. I remember sitting on the sand and watching her, thinking this girl was crazy for risking her life like this. Eventually, as clouds were starting to gather, she got out of the water. »

 

« You talked to her? »

 

« Quiet, Shu. »

 

« She talked to me. Asking if her surfing had impressed me, saying she does it all for the pretty girl’s attention. »

 

Miyeon chuckles thinking back on the words Minnie said to her the first time they met. She has always been charming, very charming even if quite cocky at times. Miyeon always liked her spirit, never afraid of anything, not even the scary waves crashing on the shores as she was surfing. Miyeon’s eyes become tender as she remembers Minnie.

 

There is silence for a moment. Miyeon gets her spirit back and continues.

 

« Minnie was very charming. She had a lot of braids in her hair, and some parts were white among the black ones. She told me she was surfing only for her pleasure when I asked her if she was professional. I don’t remember well, but she invited me to her place. »

 

« You went? »

 

« Shu. »

 

« Sorry… »

 

Shuhua bumps her head against Soojin’s cheek as she apologizes.

 

« I went. I was curious, and I wanted to know more about this girl. I think the fact that she was pretty helped a lot. She was living just in front of the sea, and we walked to her place. I remember her smelling like the Ocean, it was very strong and very different from what I am used to. She often joked about how I was from the land and her from the sea, and the beach was our meeting spot.

She showed me her place, it was a big house for only one person. Only on one floor, but each room was huge. I remember her kitchen being so big, and thinking she surely doesn’t cook much. I was very wrong. Everything I thought about this girl at the beginning turned out to be wrong. She always surprised me.

Ah. The sweets are ready. »

 

« I will take care of it. »

 

Soojin gets up and heads to the kitchen. Miyeon looks at her a moment before turning to Shuhua. The girl is looking at Soojin as well.

 

« Should I thank Soojin for teaching you how to cook? »

 

« Miss Cho… You fell in love with Minnie, right? »

 

« Yes. »

 

« How did you know you weren’t seeing her just as a friend? »

 

« Minnie never gave me the possibility to be her friend. She told me one day that she felt attracted to me from the very first second she saw me. And then, she said she just kept on falling deeper for me. »

 

Shuhua looks longly at Miss Cho, and it is only Soojin coming back with the sweets on a plate which puts an end to her staring. Soojin also made some tea and hands it to Miss Cho and Shuhua. She discreetly kisses the top of Shuhua’s head before taking her spot back behind Shuhua.

 

« So, how are my cookies, dear Shuhua? »

 

Shuhua looks up, mouth full of cookies, and nods eagerly to the woman. Soojin tries to clean up the younger girl but Shuhua makes it difficult. Miyeon tells Soojin to relax and that it is okay to make a mess as long as the food is yummy.

 

« Shu… Really, you could eat properly. »

 

« Sho Yummy! »

 

Miyeon takes a cookie too and smiles when the taste is just like she remembers. Soojin watches as a child-like smile spread on the lips of the woman. She too finds Miss Cho interesting, when the woman thinks no one is watching, she does act like a teenager.

 

« Miss Cho, what happened after you met Minnie at the beach? Did you stay at her place? »

 

« … I spent the night at her place, indeed. I think I spent the whole summer at her place. It was like a breath of fresh air, every second with her was exhilarating. I never felt so close to someone before. We would wake up early to see the sunrise, and then she would cook breakfast for us. Then we would usually go out, every day was different. Sometimes we would surf all day long when the waves were nice, other times we would ride around the countryside, and other times we would go hiking in the forest. She was never out of ideas to enjoy the world around her. »

 

« Wait, wait. You surfed? And you rode? You rode a motorcycle? This is why you have a motor-»

 

« Shu! »

 

« Well. Minnie taught me how to surf, I wasn’t bad I must say. I couldn’t follow Minnie’s rhythm that’s for sure, but I managed myself. Minnie was a very good teacher, she was very encouraging, and kept giving me tips to do better. I… Me, a girl of the land, fell in love with the sea. I think… I realized there was more to life than only the things I had always known.

I always knew dancing and reading. Surfing was a very new experience for me. It was a feeling so different from everything else. I… »

 

Miyeon stops talking. She can smell the Ocean around her and feels propelled on a board. She is laying down, waiting for the wave to come, and when she turns her head, she sees Minnie waiting near the shore while giving her two thumbs up. She uses her arms to crawl and gain speed before being taken by the wave, she quickly gets up and rides the wave.

 

« Yeah, Miyeon! Lean forward, lean forward! Yeah! »

 

Miyeon follows Minnie’s directions before jumping from her board as the wave ends. She raises her head from the water and Minnie is now right next to her, congratulating her on her skills. Miyeon sighs, looking behind her to see the infinite Ocean.

 

« You really improved, Miyeonnie. It feels so natural to you, now! Come on, let’s celebrate with some food. »

 

Minnie gently takes Miyeon’s board under her arm and Miyeon’s hand in hers before heading to the sand. They walk back to Minnie’s house, and while Minnie is cleaning up the boards, Miyeon goes for a shower. Only when she is almost done, she feels Minnie’s arms around her.

 

« Hello, there. »

 

« Hi. »

 

Minnie puts a quick kiss on Miyeon’s cheek before turning them around to be the one under the warm water. Miyeon complains but Minnie only responds by pocking her tongue. Miyeon gets out and goes into the bedroom to find some clothes.

 

Minnie’s bedroom is huge. Half of the room works as a closet, and the other part is occupied by Minnie’s bed, but also a bunch of surfing boards, electronics, and art material. Minnie likes to try many different things, even if her favorite two things are surfing and –

 

« Miyeonnie? Why don’t we try the restaurant we saw the other time? »

 

« Miss Cho? Are you okay? »

 

Miyeon blinks a few times before focusing back on the two girls in front of her. She smiles at them, telling them not to worry before clearing .

 

« Where was I? »

 

« I asked you if you rode a motorcycle. »

 

« Ah. I will finally answer your question, dear Shuhua. »

 

Shuhua smiles, showing teeth dirty from the cookies. Soojin is captivated by Miss Cho’s story and her eyes are waiting for more.

 

« I never rode a motorcycle on my own, as I told you yesterday. But. »

 

« Minnie rode one! »

 

« Yes. Minnie rode one, and I was behind her. »

 

« Wow! Minnie must be such a cool person! Where is she now? Can we meet her one day? Do you think she still rides her motorcycle? »

 

Miyeon looks at Shuhua, their gaze meet and Shuhua immediately understands she will never meet Minnie. Soojin squeezes Shuhua against herself, and the younger turns to look at Soojin before reaching out for Miss Cho’s hand.

 

« Can I ask what happened to her? »

 

« I told you, you would ask more questions once I answer you. »

 

Shuhua chuckles, and Miyeon smiles. Only Soojin keeps looking at Miss Cho with the saddest look in her eyes. Miyeon notices but keeps quiet.

 

« As I was saying, Minnie was the one driving. She had a car, but I don’t think I have ever seen her drive it. Her motorcycle was almost a part of her, she would often talk about it, referring to it as her most prized possession. I think she was a bit crazy about it. But … It was cute, and she looked really good on her bike.

I told you already the city we lived in was on an island, and we didn’t have harsh winters, but we had long summers, and even during those hot times, she would wear a completely black outfit. With all those chains hanging from her pockets, a leather jacket, and black jeans. I don’t know think she felt hot but I found her very hot like this. »

 

Miyeon smiles thinking about it again, while Shuhua and Soojin exchange a look. Miyeon can see again how Minnie would wear this big leather jacket at all times when she was riding her motorcycle, and how one time she put it on too and Minnie went crazy for her. It was… a very intense night for them.

 

« When I asked Minnie why did she like so much about riding her back, she never responded. Instead, she took me on a longer ride than usual. It was the day before the university would start again, and we rode until the early hour of the morning. It was magical, the sea being painted by the rising sun, the wind smelling of the new morning, and Minnie…

I think this is when I knew I was in love. I knew for sure, Minnie was my person. I felt a sudden wave of emotions and feelings toward her. We eventually made it back to Minnie’s house, and we made love to each other. … I never experienced anything like this ever again. It was more than anything you could imagine, it felt like sharing my soul with her.

It was at this moment that I started to dance again. »

 

Soojin’s cheeks are red, but Miyeon catches her gaze. The girl's subtlety goes from Miyeon to Shuhua, even more, when Miyeon touches the subject of love. The woman sighs, the night has fallen on them already, and she knows Mrs. Yeh won’t be happy if she keeps her daughter too long.

 

« Miss Cho, what happened when you got back to university? Did you pick up dancing again? Did you continue to see Minnie? And what was Minnie doing? Was she a student as well? »

 

« Well… Why don’t you drop by another time so I can answer you? It is getting late, and your friend Soojin must go home before the night. »

 

« Soojin is sleeping at my place. Can’t you continue more, please? I want to know what happened next! »

 

Miyeon gives Shuhua a stern look and the girl immediately bows her head in submission. Instead, Miyeon promises her to continue her story next time, she also gives Shuhua a whole box of cookies to share with her family. Soojin thanks Miyeon a couple of times for the story and the cookies before following Shuhua to her apartment.

 


 

Miyeon goes to bed, and before laying on her sheets, she perfumes her second pillow with Minnie’s favorite fragrance. She lays down, facing the empty pillow, and as sleep slowly takes her away, she feels the warm presence of the woman at her side. Minnie holds her between her arms, her fingers playing in Miyeon’s hair, petting and brushing the smooth hair. Minnie kisses her forehead a couple of times before leaning her cheek on top of Miyeon’s head.

 

« I love you. »

 

« I love you too. »

 

Minnie’s arms around Miyeon feel so real, and she feels safe again. She keeps her eyes close, not wanting to feel disappointed when she doesn’t see the woman laying at her side. Except she can’t help but open her eyes, and she breaks into a happy smile when she sees Minnie looking back at her before squeezing her against her chest.

 

« Tomorrow, I will drive you to uni. »

 

« I don’t want to leave you. »

 

« Miyeonnie, don’t be so dramatic. I will come and get you at the end of the week. Like we said, every two weeks, we spend the weekend together. I won’t forget about you, I think I love you too much for that. »

 

Miyeon grips Minnie’s shirt, she feels the warm flesh against her hands, and Minnie’s voice feels so real. She knows her mind is making her memories feel like reality. But she doesn’t want it to stop.

 

« One day, we will live together, and you will see me so often, you will become sick of my face. »

 

« I couldn’t be sick of seeing you. You are my favorite person in the world. »

 

« You say it because you aren’t sick of me, yet. »

 

Minnie puts another kiss on Miyeon’s forehead, and Miyeon wonders if she would have been sick of Minnie by now. Maybe, they would have had their moment, but she doesn’t believe she would have lasted long without seeing her.

 

Miyeon feels sleep coming for her, but she tries to fight it off to make the moment last longer. She eventually finishes by giving up. When she wakes up in the morning, she is alone in her bed, and the warm embrace of Minnie is gone. Miyeon gets up anyway and starts her day.

 

In the kitchen, she finds a word from Shuhua again, and she reads it attentively. She makes herself some breakfast and then prepares herself to go out. Miyeon looks at herself longly in the mirror, to the extent that she lost herself in her own eyes. The brown of her pupils has always been quite captivating, and she remembers even as a child looking at her reflection for long minutes.

 

Minnie caught her doing such things many times, and each time, she would come behind Miyeon and kiss her cheek.

 

« You are pretty. »

 

Miyeon turns around, and Minnie is already walking out of the bathroom. She follows her, but when she gets to the living room, it is empty again. Miyeon sighs, talking about Minnie might not have been the best idea. She keeps on seeing random memories of the woman all around her. It seems as if every single one of her actions reminds her of Minnie. Still, she continues to prepare herself, and when she is ready, heads out.

 

« Miss Cho! »

 

Miyeon turns her head toward the floor above her, and she sees Shuhua running down the stairs to meet her. The girl is not wearing her uniform today, and her hair is still wet from her shower. Miyeon waits for her and chuckles when the girl naturally takes her arm.

 

« Where are you going? Can I join you? »

 

« I was going to enjoy my lunch. »

 

« Can I come with you? »

 

« The restaurant is a bit far away. »

 

« How far? »

 

« Maybe an hour. »

 

« Are you driving there? »

 

« No. I ordered a cab. »

 

« Can I call my mom to tell her? I want to come with you. »

 

Miyeon nods and Shuhua immediately calls her mom. Mrs. Yeh asks to have Miss Cho on the phone, and the woman explains the situation to Shuhua’s mom. She promises to get the girl back before night and to treat her to yummy food.

 

The drive to the restaurant is smooth, Shuhua asks the driver to play her favorite songs, and she explains each track to Miss Cho. The woman listens attentively to Shuhua and asks questions about some of the songs. Shuhua is surprised to discover the woman is quite knowledgeable about music, even if she doesn’t know all of the latest releases.

 

Once they arrive at the restaurant, Shuhua gasps at the sight of the Ocean in front of her. She wants to say something, but she keeps quiet when she sees Miss Cho looking at the Ocean in front of them with nostalgic eyes. Shuhua takes her hand in hers and stands next to the woman in silence.

 

« Minnie would have run to the water to taste it – whatever she meant by that. She would have made me join her, even if she knew I would complain about the coldness. »

 

« Miss Cho. What happened to Minnie? »

 

Miyeon doesn’t answer, instead, she starts to walk, holding Shuhua’s hand in hers. They reach the restaurant Miyeon wants to eat at, and they sit together side by side, with a beautiful view of the Ocean.

 

« Minnie died. »

 

« I am sorry, Miss Cho. »

 

« My dear Shuhua, you have nothing to be sorry about. You have all the right to be curious, and I will tell you about it. But first, let’s order something to drink. »

 

« I am only seventeen. »

 

« And I am not your mother. »

 

Shuhua chuckles when Miss Cho orders beer and soju. The woman serves them both a glass and clinks it with Shuhua before downing it in one go and serving herself again. She tells Shuhua it is better to be a bit drunk for this part of the story.

 

« I finished college and got a job as a teacher. This is when I moved in with Minnie, in her house by the beach. Every day, I would drive one hour to the school I was working out, and then one hour back to Minnie. It was a hard rhythm… but Minnie made it easier. She always greeted me with a smile, a meal, and many kisses. She was a very loving person.

After my fourth year as a teacher, I started to have enough, and I decided to take a break. I wanted to do something else, and see something else. Minnie decided to take me on a trip around the country on her motorcycle. That is what we did for a few weeks before going back home. I don’t know if we were happy at this time. There was a hole between us which has started to grow deeper.

One day, we fought harder than the other times. It was so violent, and so stupid now that I think about it again. I left and drove back to my parents. I took the ferry at night and drove again for a few hours to get to their house. I think I stayed a few days there, just the time for things to calm down. And then I went back to Minnie. »

 

Miyeon serves another glass to Shuhua and calls the waitress for more soju. Shuhua looks at her drink and at Miss Cho again. The woman has tears in her eyes already, and Shuhua easily guesses it is almost the end of Minnie’s story.

 

« We talked. I think… at this moment, I realized it had been a while since we had talked to each other. Told each other our true feelings, our thoughts, and our perception of what was happening. I fell in love with Minnie for a second time. It was as intense as the first time, maybe more. I loved her with everything I had.

I loved her so much. I still love her so much. I… I told you how she was from the sea and I was from the land? Well one day, the sea took her back. Just like I first met her emerging from the Ocean, she got taken back by the Ocean. It was a great weather for surfing, and the waves were bigger than usual to Minnie’s greatest excitement.

I decided not to surf as I knew I couldn’t handle those waves. Minnie was never scared of anything, and she had the experience. Except… the sea was stronger than her. She got caught in the tube of the wave and didn’t manage to find the surface before it was too late. I saw her disappear just in front of me. »

 

Shuhua realizes she is crying too when one of her tears falls on her lap. Miyeon looks at the girl with a sad smile, and she tries to wipe out Shuhua’s tears, but the girl keeps on crying more and more. She is soon becoming a mess, and Miyeon has to calm her down. She hugs the girl against her chest and pets her hair in a carrying way. Shuhua eventually calms down.

 

« Miss Cho… I am sorry I am crying. I… »

 

« It is okay, my dear Shuhua. You have the right to cry. »

 

Miyeon orders food while Shuhua is gone to the bathrooms. When she comes back, Miyeon gives her a polaroid picture, she points out to the woman on the right, it is Minnie, holding a surfboard under her arm, and on the left, Miyeon looks at Minnie with the happiest smile. Shuhua looks longly at the picture, she then looks at Miss Cho.

 

« I lost the love of my life thirty years ago. I was only thirty-eight, but I got to live eighteen wonderful years at her side. As sad as I was when it happened, I learned to live with the pain and to look at the brighter side. »

 

Shuhua’s eyes are teary again, but the tears don’t fall this time. Miyeon’s gaze is so profound, it captivates Shuhua, inside she sees a bright light.

 

« I got to love and be loved by someone wonderful. I am only wishing you to live such a thing, my dear Shuhua. I hope you never get afraid to love someone. Time is precious, so enjoy every second you have with the one you love. »

 

The waitress brings them the side dishes and the main dishes at the same time. She apologizes when she realizes she forgot the rice and runs back to the kitchen. Miyeon steals a piece of kimchi with her fingers, and Shuhua smiles when she sees it.

 

« I wanted to tell you, my dear Shuhua, that I am very grateful you made me re-live these beautiful moments. I was happy to share them with you and with Soojin too. »

 

« … You never told me why is the motorcycle among your books. »

 

« A friend of mine offered it to me. They got made a miniature of Minnie’s motorcycle. »

 

Shuhua feels herself tearing up again, but she bites her lips and gets the tears to go away. Miyeon is happily eating her food, her eyes crescent as she is smiling. Shuhua notices the tear rolling down her left cheek, but she doesn’t say anything and eats the warm food.

 

« To answer my question. I am living alone because I have been so happy, and have loved so much, that I know wouldn’t find someone else to share those emotions with again. »

 

« … Aren’t you sad? »

 

« I am. »

 

« I am sorry. »

 

« I am sad to have lost my person. But I am also happy to have continued living. I did it for Minnie, and I did it for myself. I will have so many things to tell her once I see her again. I will tell her about you. »

 

« About me? »

 

« Yes. I think Minnie would have loved you. She always wanted to have a little sister, and you are quite adorable. »

 

Shuhua grimaces at the compliment, but she lets Miss Cho warmly pet her hair. They continue to talk about Minnie, and Shuhua doesn’t miss the happiness and nostalgia mixing in Miss Cho’s eyes. On the way back home, Shuhua falls asleep on Miss Cho’s shoulder.

 


 

Shuhua’s family decides to spend the holidays back in Taiwan, and she feels unexpectedly sad to leave Miss Cho behind, but the woman promises her everything will be alright. Except when she comes back home, she immediately drops at Miss Cho’s apartment, but the code has changed, and it isn’t the woman who opens the door.

 

Shuhua learns Miss Cho moved out of the building during the holidays, and she doesn’t take the news well at all. Shuhua’s mom spends days trying to lift her daughter’s mood, in the last hope she calls Soojin who doesn’t manage to get more than a sad “She didn’t say goodbye.” from the girl. Until Shuhua receives a letter from Miss Cho.

 

The day she finds it in her mailbox, she doesn’t even take the time to climb to her apartment and opens it on the stairs. Miss Cho’s first lines are an apology for leaving without saying anything, she explains she thought a lot about everything and decided to move back into Minnie’s house. She explains how it has been since she left and invites Shuhua to visit her with Soojin anytime she would like to.

 

Shuhua reads the letter another time, and maybe three more times before finally taking the way to her apartment. She finds Soojin waiting for her in her living room, the girl shows her a letter, and Shuhua recognizes the handwriting of Miss Cho.

 

« You won’t believe it, Shu. My dance teacher gave me this letter, and guess what? »

 

« What! »

 

« She is one of Miss Cho’s friends. »

 

« What! »

 

« She is the Song Yuqi from Miss Cho’s story. You only told me her first name, and I asked her today when she gave me the letter. »

 

« Song Yuqi… The one Miss Cho danced with during the summer! »

 

Shuhua is so excited she almost forgets to tell Soojin about the letter she received in her mailbox. The two friends exchange letters, and Shuhua can’t help but smile when she reads the letter Miss Cho wrote to Soojin. Once they are done reading the letters, they each call their moms to ask if they can spend the upcoming weekend at Miss Cho’s place.