The wish upon a shooting star

The wish upon a shooting star [JeongMi] [One-shot]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“Yoo Jeongyeon,”

 

Jeongyeon slowly opens her eyes. Everything is blurry at first and she's having a hard time opening her swollen eyes. She blinks and lets her eyes adjust before glancing at the person who called her name.

 

"Nayeon." She whispers.

 

Her head starts to hurt. The sunlights that passes through the window is not helping, as well as the scent of alcohol that she consumed last night.

 

‘Damn.’

 

“I thought a can of beer can do no harm?” Nayeon said softly while assisting her to sit on her couch.

 

Jeongyeon chuckles. Guilty about the fact that she drank more than what she promised.

 

And she's sure that Nayeon knows. It takes more than a can of beer to knock her out. She’s so drunk last night that she wasn’t able to make it on her bed.

 

Jeongyeon winces in pain and holds onto her head. Nayeon offers a glass of water to her and that’s when she noticed that Nayeon is kind of different that day.

 

Nayeon is really pretty today. But don't get her wrong, she’s pretty as always, but she’s stunning in her make up and white gown—oh !

 

She suddenly remembers the sole reason why she drank so much alcohol the night before.

 

The realization poured in like cold water along with the pain, and regrets that she's been trying to forget these past few years.

 

She holds onto her chest because of the sudden familiar pain she felt.

 

She started feeling something warm in the corner of her eyes but she dismissed it right away by standing up.

 

“What time is it?” Jeongyeon asked while wiping the corner of her eyes. She searched for her phone, but she found Nayeon’s on top of the table instead. She grabs the phone and checks the time.

 

11:11am.

 

The wedding ceremony is at 1pm and they need at least half an hour to go to the venue!

 

“Oh !” Jeongyeon exclaimed and grabbed her own hair out of frustration. She starts to grab random clothes in her closet.

 

“Stupid! I’m so stupid! Why did I let myself drink too much alcohol last night?!” she added while panicking.

 

What do you mean why? You were drinking last night because she’s getting married to the person who can truly make her happy.... Jeongyeon groaned as her own thoughts reminded her.

 

In the middle of everything, Jeongyeon realized that the girl with her was just sitting still and watching her.

 

“And why are you still here? You’re Momo’s bridesmaid! You need to be there!” Jeongyeon said, pacing back and forth. Can't make up her mind what to do first.

 

“Says Mina’s bridesmaid.” Nayeon replied while looking at her amusingly.

 

Jeongyeon rolls her eyes.

 

“Don’t pick a fight, Nayeon. We’re running late. I’ll take a bath now—"

 

Nayeon suddenly stands up and holds her wrist. The older girl looks into Jeongyeon's eyes as if she's seeking something on it.

 

“What?” Jeongyeon's eyes furrow towards her friend.

 

Nayeon sighs and reaches for both of her hands. Her thumbs are gently caressing the back of the younger's hands.

 

She knows that the gesture is something that can calm Jeongyeon. Because she saw Mina do that a lot of times.

 

“You don’t have to go, you know..” Nayeon whispers softly and gives the other girl a small warm smile while still looking into her eyes.

 

And the younger girl understood what Nayeon meant.

 

She knows that if she selfishly decides to ditch the wedding, Nayeon will not gonna stop her. The older girl witnessed how much pain she had to endure from the very start. She was even there when Jeongyeon finally admitted to herself that she’s in love with her best friend and it was too late for her realizations.

 

But as much as Jeongyeon wants to run away and avoid getting her heart broken more than it already is, she just can't let her down.

 

She just can't take away the smile on her face. The same smile she saw when she told her that she's getting married.

 

“Silly. It's.. It's my best friend's wedding. She's so happy.. and excited. How can I ditch the wedding?” Jeongyeon replied just as softly as Nayeon's voice. She gulped multiple times to suppress her tears.

 

She's trying her best to set aside her own emotion so she could be the best bridesmaid to the best person she'll ever know.

 

“Thank you.. but I’ll be fine.” Jeongyeon gave the older girl a reassuring smile before pulling her closer for a hug.

 

----

 

The wedding venue smells just like her.

 

It reminds her of those times that she hugs her just to annoy her because she hates skinships. She smells like a flower. Daisy and sweets. Just like how the wedding venue smells like today.

 

And it suffocates Jeongyeon in so many ways.

 

"Guess who.."

 

Jeongyeon lips' automatically formed a wide smile upon hearing the voice near her ears.

 

The voice is so low and obviously changed so Jeongyeon can't recognize it while the person is hugging her from behind.

 

But Jeongyeon knows the answer even if the person covers her ears.

 

Because the room suddenly smells like her. Her heart is beating so fast but at the same time her heart is calm and at ease.

 

It's strange and she cannot exactly explain but Jeongyeon knows it's her.

 

"Mina."

 

The wedding song plays and brings Jeongyeon back to reality.

 

Reality where she's standing at the entrance of the wedding hall while waiting for her turn to walk on the aisle before the brides' turn.

 

Before Mina and Momo's turn.

 

Jeongyeon closes her eyes and clears , holding back her tears. The song is so lovely, it suits Mina and Momo’s love story.

 

Get your all together, Jeongyeon. This is not about you. She told herself.

 

"Let me hold you."

 

Jeongyeon glanced at her side and found Nayeon smiling at her. She forgot that she's with Nayeon during the bridesmaids' walk.

 

Nayeon holds onto her arm.

 

"You're not used to wearing high heels. I don't want you to embarrass me by breaking your ankle in the middle of our walk." She teased.

 

At different times, she would surely snap back at Nayeon's teasing but Jeongyeon knows that Nayeon is just looking after her.

 

She knows that Nayeon wants to hold her to support her while she's trembling and holding back her tears.

 

Like she always does.

 

"Let's go." Jeongyeon whispers and they start to walk.

 

----

 

Jeongyeon is drunk.

 

She should be lying on her bed by now and sleeping her drunkness away, but here she is, lying on her back in the middle of a soccer field.

 

This is where she and Mina used to play when they were still young.

 

Jeongyeon can still remember how fast they run while kicking the soccer ball until they get tired, and they would later on settle on the grass to spend their remaining time (before their parents notice that they are not still at home) watching the stars.

 

Despite her sleepiness and drunkenness, Jeongyeon tries to keep her eyes open just so she can continue reminiscing about the good times she had with Mina.

 

“I will call that star Agatha.” the 14-year-old Mina said then giggled right after.

 

Jeongyeon, who's lying beside Mina while watching the starry sky, glances at Mina with curiosity.

 

"Agatha?" Jeongyeon asked.

 

Mina shrugs her shoulders and smiles as she glances back at Jeongyeon.

 

"Just because Agatha sounds pretty."

 

Jeongyeon wasn't able to reply. She can see the reflection of the stars on Mina's eyes and the wind is slowly blowing the few strands of her hair onto her pretty face.

 

Her young mind can't understand why that scene is taking her breath away. But Jeongyeon can still remember how good the feeling is.

 

"You know what else sounds pretty?" Jeongyeon asked while tucking Mina’s hair strand at the back of her ears.

 

Mina giggles and glances back at her with a visible blush on her cheeks. Jeongyeon bites her lower lip to suppress a smile.

 

"What?"

 

"Jeongyeon. Jeongyeon sounds pretty." She said while chuckling.

 

Mina gasped and started pinching her sides.

 

"You're so annoying!"

 

Jeongyeon chuckles and cries because of the memory.

 

Her heart doesn't know what to do and what to feel as the memories break her heart and make her heart beat faster at the same time.

 

It's almost midnight and unfortunately, the sky is not allowing her to have a good glimpse of its stars. The clouds are very thick as if it's intentionally hiding the stars that Jeongyeon is looking for.

 

She wanted to remember that day by looking at the stars above her, but the sky won't let her.

 

"Myoui Mina, do you take Hirai Momo as your lawfully wedded wife?" The sound of the scene that Jeongyeon witnessed a few hours ago suddenly rings in her ears as if it's still on-going.

 

"I do." And Jeongyeon can still remember the prettiest smile she ever saw on Mina's face while looking at her bride.

 

Jeongyeon closes her eyes and sobs.

 

But no matter how tight she shut her eyes close, she can still see the way Mina looked at Momo during their wedding.

 

It's painfully familiar and it breaks her heart more than anything.

 

It was the same look that Mina gave her that night..

 

Jeongyeon cries while breathing heavily.

 

"Hey.."

 

It's Nayeon. Jeongyeon was drowning with her thoughts and emotions that she did not notice Nayeon's arrival.

 

"Let's get you into your room.." Nayeon gently pulled Jeongyeon's arm, helping her to get up.

 

But Jeongyeon can't leave yet. She cannot leave just yet. She has to see it.

 

"I'm waiting for the shooting star.." Jeongyeon said while choking with her tears. She didn't bother fixing herself even though she's aware that she looks like a mess.

 

There is no embarrassment in front of Nayeon. Nayeon is used to it and has witnessed every tear she shed for Mina.

 

Nayeon stops pulling her and settles beside her. She did not argue with Jeongyeon, she did not scold her like everyone else and that's why Jeongyeon is comfortable enough to be vulnerable around Nayeon.

 

"Whatever you are waiting for, let's wait for it.." Nayeon said and let the silence embrace them.

 



 

"Nayeon-ssi."



 

"Hmm?"



 

"If we are lucky enough to witness the shooting star today, what will be y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter