Final.

a frog and you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Scene 1:

“Dani!”

Danielle turned around just as she heard her name being called by such a familiar voice. The same voice who wakes her up every morning.

Dani smiles as she welcomes the incoming hug of her friend, “Hi, I thought you’re busy with the council today?” she asks, slowly pulling away from the hug.

“Oh, Minji dismissed us early.” Hanni grins as she cling her arm onto Dani’s own, “She’s with Haerin and Hyein now. I just came here to pick you up.”

“Oh, Haerin’s here now? I thought she wouldn’t be back until next week.”

“Well, change of plans, I guess.”

It didn’t take too long for them to meet the others who are seated at the bench just beside the field. Their usual hangout spot.

“Haerin!”

Dani jumped in joy as she saw the familiar cat face of her best friend, “I thought you’ll be back next week.”

She runs closer to hug her best friend, but Haerin immediately put her arms up, hands resting on either of Danielle’s shoulder stopping her to take another step closer.

Haerin cleared , avoiding those confused hazel brown eyes before dropping her hands, “Uhm yeah, change of plans.”

Danielle stops herself from frowning, instead showing another of her bright smiles, “Oh really? That’s great then, you wouldn’t miss a lot of things.”

And amidst their awkward space, three others are seen watching the conflicts running on both of their minds.

Scene 2:

Another competition, another win.

Another championship.

Dani just won her nth championship title for representing their school in the annual swimming interschool competition.

And she just couldn’t contain her joy that she immediately jumped out of the pool before running towards where her friends are.

Minji, Hanni, and Hyein all welcomes her with huge, bright smiles. Congratulating her for another win.

“I never doubted you there, Dani!”

“You were so great, bro!”

“You swam like a shark, Dani girl!”

All those words warmth her heart, feeling the sudden rush of pride in her nerves and chest.

She did it again.

She won.

And as she looks behind her friends, one pair of familiar cat eyes meet her own.

“Haerin! I won!” she run towards her best friend, ready to engulf her for a hug but before she could even wrap her arms around Haerin, she felt a hand tap her head.

Haerin smiles at her, her usual coy smile, “You did great there.” A tap on her head, “I’m proud of you, Dani.”

And as she felt another pang in her chest that she immediately set aside, she realizes she’s still drenched.

Ah, right, how can I hug her like this?

Scene 3:

“Haerin, are you okay?”

Dani took the empty seat beside her best friend, who’s only staring at the ground. Dani never saw Haerin like this within the five years of their friendship.

Haerin nodded but still kept silent and Dani understood.

Just like always.

“I’ll be here, alright?” she mumbled quietly, just enough for the latter to hear.

Haerin didn’t respond. She just sat there in silence, just like how she did for the past hours she’s seated there before being found.

It was silent, but after a while Dani heard soft sniffles from the girl beside her.

She didn’t know what to do.

She just stares before deciding to just hug the latter but before she could even move Haerin spoke, “Don’t. Please, don’t.”

And so, she stayed still.

Scene 4:

“Do you think she hates me?” Dani asked as she slumped beside Hanni, who’s the only one not busy in their circle aside from her.

Hanni stops from taking a bite of her bread and furrow her eyebrows, “Are you seriously asking me that?”

Dani nodded, a small pout on her lips, “I mean, I can feel her avoiding me and she doesn’t even want my hugs!”

Hanni couldn’t help but roll her eyes, “Sweetie, you know how Haerin is. You’ve been best friend since forever, and you know she’s not the cuddly type of person.”

“I know, but it’s my hug.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter