fin.

i’ll get over you (or not)

 

Ayaka Arai.

The most popular girl in school.

The prettiest girl in school.

The senior class president.

People would say, "either you want to be her or you want to be with her."

Boys would flock around her to ask her for just one shot at a date with her, but she would always turn them all down.

Now, she was tugging on the hand of a shocked Nina Hillman, leading her into the solitude of an empty girls' restroom.

Nina Hillman was one of the people who wanted to be with Ayaka.

She has had feelings for her for a long time. Feelings that never seemed to go away.

But Nina was another girl. She could not be in love with another girl. Let alone the most popular girl in school. She, an unpopular girl, had no shot with the Ayaka Arai. She just knew she would get bullied even if word of her liking Ayaka came out.

But she could not seem to help her feelings. No matter how long she waited for them to go away, they still remained strong.

She knew there's something Ayaka wants to talk to her about in private. She stopped her in the middle of gym class to be able to. But she had no idea what it could be.

Once they got into the restroom, they finally stopped in front of the sinks. 

Nina was finally all alone with Ayaka. Her longtime crush. She could help but blush a little at this.

"So, uh..." Nina was the first to speak, keeping her gaze on Ayaka, who seemed a bit stressed. "What is it you want to talk to me about?"

"Nina Hillman, do you like me?"

Nina was shocked by Ayaka's sudden question. She was even more shocked that Ayaka even knew her last name.

"L-Like you?" Nina responded in surprise. "Yeah, of course. You're the senior class president and the most popular girl in school. I kind of have to."

"No, not like that," Ayaka dismissed Nina's words. "Do you like me? Like... as... more than just the senior class president. Or a friend even."

Nina knew that was what Ayaka meant. She simply did not want to believe it. But now she just needs to accept it.

She found herself stuttering over her words, trying so hard not to say the wrong thing.

"Y-Yeah..." Nina admitted, breaking eye contact with the older girl. "Y-You're just... amazing. So attractive... and so kind. It's no wonder everyone loves you. Despite also being a girl, I found myself falling in love with you. Just like those boys who go crazy just to have a chance to hold your hand," she chuckled nervously, fidgeting with her fingers out of nervousness.

Ayaka was about to open to respond, until Nina started to speak once again.

"I'll get over you, I promise," Nina then assures to Ayaka. "These feelings, they're- they're only temporary, I-I swear. I-I'll get over you," she was assuring herself too. "Just please... don't leave me."

Nina stepped closer to Ayaka, tearing up a bit from emotion.

Ayaka then stepped even closer to Nina, shocking the younger girl as she rests her hands on the latter's waist.

Nina's heart started to pound faster than ever before. Her face flushed red and started to feel warm. The Ayaka Arai has her hands on her waist.

"Did you ever think, that maybe," Ayaka began to speak. "I don't want you getting over me?" She leaned closer to Nina. Now there wasn't a centimeter between the two of them. "What if I don't want these feelings to be only temporary? That maybe I... like you, too?"

Nina felt like she was going to pass out right at this second.

If this was a dream, she needed to wake up.

But it was not. This was real life.

"A-Ayaka Arai... d-do you like me?" 

Nina had repeated Ayaka's previous question.

"Yes," Ayaka nearly hummed with satisfaction. "Yes, I do."

They both have been holding back for so long, but Ayaka couldn't take it anymore. She has had so many boys ask her out, but she turned them down because her eyes were on no one else but Nina.

They cannot, and will not, hold back any longer.

In a burst of passion, they pressed their lips together. Ayaka moved one hand from Nina's waist to Nina's cheek, while Nina kept her hands on top of Ayaka's shoulders as she kept her close.

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps entered the girls' restroom.

"Ayaka, Nina, are you alright?" A voice called out. "You two have been gone for a while so Mr. Park sent me to check on you and— Oh... My... Gosh."

The girl whom the voice came from, Rima Nakabayashi, sounded shocked. She had just walked in on Ayaka and Nina making out! She paused in her tracks... and just took a moment to stare at the other two girls.

Once Rima spoke, Ayaka and Nina quickly stopped kissing each other and removed their hands from each other. They stepped a bit away from each other, in shock and worry about what Rima would do about walking in on them.

"I guess you both finally confessed," Rima laughed. "Good for you. Took you both long enough."

"W-What? Rima, how did you know?" Ayaka asked, her face redder than it has ever been.

"Oh, a lot of people suspected it," Rima laughed, a bit amused by both of their delusion. "Have you realized the way the two of you look at each other?! You definitely didn't try to hide it. People have been talking about it."

As if Ayaka and Nina couldn't have gotten any more embarrassed... Rima only took it to the next level.

"P-Please don't tell anyone!" Nina panicked. 

"Yeah... m-my reputation would be ruined!" Ayaka also panicked, very ruined about what would happen if everyone learned that she was making out with Nina in the girls' bathroom.

"Don't worry, I won't!" Rima smiled at them both assuringly. "I'm not like that. Now, get back to gym class and save the romantics for later. Mr. Park said we are about to play a game."

Ayaka and Nina both let out sighs of relief. As soon as Rima left, the two of them made eye contact.

They wanted to kiss more. But, they had to get back to class. Or they would get in trouble.

"Let's head back," Ayaka smiled at Nina. "Are you available after school today?"

"Yes," Nina nodded. Actually, she isn't. But that can wait. Ayaka is more important to her right now.

"Want to head over to the café across the street after school?"

Was... Ayaka asking her on a date?

"Oh, I'd love to," Nina smiled.

And so, the two of them headed back to gym class, planning on coming up with an excuse as to why they both took so long.