Episode 10: Dinner with Parents Scene

Crazy Over You

- Meet the family of the bride? – Seungcheon sighed unhappy, after Munki gave him the appointment of the night. He preferred to face his father whole empire than having to go to that event. The only thing good that could come out of this was to see Yeojin, but he did not like having to interact with her father and he absolutely hated to subject his fiancée to his own parents. It would be a long night.

- How long do you think I’d have to stay? – he asked the secretary, whom gave him a reprimanding look.

- You know you must keep the formalities. You can’t always stay just the two of you pretending the world doesn’t exist – Munki explained, for what he thought it would be the 100th time.

This only made Seungcheon chuckle and give him a challenging look, lifting his eyebrows as saying “can’t I?”

- Watch me – he said going through his hyung to grab his suit that was hanging near the door.

***

His father was giving Mr. Oh permission to set the wedding date, what made him want to strangle Hyeondo because every time he tried to bring the subject himself, the CEO quickly dismissed.

Seungcheon was almost considering going with Yeojin alone to a registry office and get this all done, but of course the girl had made him come into his senses: mostly because that would be bad for their plans heiring the company; secondly because she wanted a big wedding with a white dress. He was ready to give up hearing the first argument, however with the second his heart melt and he didn’t touch the subject anymore.

He and Yeojin were accustomed to not pay attention to what the grown ups talked in those dinners, usually facing each other, and talking while keeping their mouths shut. It was incredible, really, their ability to communicate with a look. But he knew when he had to come back to the picture. And he had to do it now when Mr. Oh was talking about Nara.

He noticed Yeojin flinching, and her eyes adopted an unfocused gaze. She did things like that when she thought he would be too disgusted with her story, as a reminder that he could change his mind any time and decide she wasn’t worthy of him. As if.

So, he smiled, and since she didn’t see it at first, he gently nudged her feet with his, so she would finally look directly at him. With a smile and a nod, he could see her getting less tense, a weight coming out of her shoulders.

He could stay like that for the rest of the dinner time. Looking at his girl, making sure she knew how much she was precious to him, and he could think of 10 ways to do it, not sitting there with their parents talking bull.

The adults continued with the money conversation, as if they were ever so superior to everyone else, more deserving than everyone. Seungcheon could hardly reprimand his impulse to roll his eyes and Yeojin could see it too because she gave him a look that said “behave”.

He would, he was determined to do it. Then his stepmother opened her venomous mouth.

- But will you be okay? – Youngshin asked Mr. Oh, with her innocent face.

- What? – his father-in-law answered, caught by surprise.

- As you said it yourself, a wedding essence is to mix blood and money. Can you deal with it? – she gave a sweet laugh – You are not in our level.

- Darling… – his father reprimanded the woman, softly. Hwang Hyeondo knew the damage his wife could cause by acting naïve like that and he couldn’t have a scene in front of the employees – I think she drank too much – he directed to Mr. Oh – Please understand.

- No, I’m totally aware – the woman continued, as if what she was saying wasn’t too much of a deal – I’m very curious – she turned to Seungcheon – Why does Taeyong want to marry the daughter of Oh Constructor, which has a market value of less than 1 trillion won? – Seungcheon carefully took a sip of his wine, seeing his fiancée tensing again and her father unresponsive - Is it because she is beautiful? – Youngshin looked at Yeojin with despise – A lot of girls are like her.

- Mother – he interrupted her. Yeojin had tears in her eyes and her head bowed down. Seungcheon hated it. His stepmother was a terrible human being, and he wished his fiancée would never be looked upon by someone like that woman. He knew she hated seeing their happiness and that, deep down, she envied Yeojin because it would be her kids who would heir Doshin and the girl would have a lovely husband by her side. Something Youngshin would never have.

- She’s the one I love – Seungcheon said, and he could sense the surprise atmosphere in the room, but he was only focused on Yeojin. He knew the girl wouldn’t care the first time of him saying that was in front of so many people. In fact, he knew she would like. Because love for them wasn’t only love. It was power, it was achievement, and both liked that. He loved that girl; he loved their journey and he loved already their future. Therefore, he wanted to make sure to rub it in the face of anyone who were willing to see them unhappy. – She trusted me and had my back for 10 years – he diverted his gaze from Yeojin to his stepmother so he could see the look in her face while saying that – She will be the next first lady of Doshin group and Oh Constructor all together, while having a husband who loves her. Isn’t that enough – he gave her a challenging look, watching her brightness fade – Mother?

Youngshin gave away a forced smile and he thought he saw Yeondo mastering a sincere proud smirk. At this point, he didn’t care for his father approval. He wanted to take his girl out of there and make sure she was okay, having enough of this dinner already. So, he politely took his napkin from his lap and got up on his feet.

- Father – he bowed to his father in law then to his father and Youngshin – Mother – can we be excused? – he asked and saw from the corner of his eye Yeojin getting up and silently bowing too.
They got a nod from the head from Yeondo while Mr. Oh seemed more satisfied.

- Aigoo, go ahead – the man said rushing them – Kids those days. I bet you want to be alone, huh? Go, go.

They bowed one more time and quietly rushed to the outside area of the building. When they were out of the house cleaners’ eyes, he slowed down his pace and offered his arm so the girl could hold and walk closer to him, which she gladly accepted.

- Thank you Seungcheon-Ah – she said, with her eyes focused ahead and he stopped walking to face her.

- For saying I love you? – he smiled playful, intending to make her more comfortable and she let out a genuine laugh.

- For that too. But I mean for defending me – she said, her tone adopting a serious focus and them staring directly at his eye, Seungcheon’s head lightly lowered so he could look strictly into her. – After everything I did, and after everything you know of me, yet you still manage to defend me.

- Yeojin ah… - he started saying but got caught by surprise when the girl throwed her arms around him.

- In moments like this you can just touch me – she said happily, nuzzling into his chest, even more when she felt he putting his arms in her back, bringing her closer.

- You want me to promise this too? – he laughs lighthearted while caressing the girl’s hair – Where does this put us as business partners?

- Ya, business partners? – Yeojin pulled a bit away so she could look at Seungcheon.

- Why? Isn’t this what we’re doing? - He put his hand in his chin as if he was thinking – Today our business is to get my father’s company and to get married, later our business will be to make babies. So we’re business partners. – He gave her a thumbs up, laughing as if his argument was the best in the world.

- Lee Seungcheon!! – Yeojin almost screamed, horrified with his last statements and slapped him on the arm – How could you say things like that so naturally?

- Ah – he put his hands in his pockets and pretended to ratiocinate – then shall we have separated rooms like Mother and Father?

- No – the girl fastly said to him, and the speed she answered made her furiously blush – Argh Lee Seungcheon, I will be going first – she shyly proceeded towards the garage, too embarrassed to look back at him.

- Bye darling – the boy screamed and saw her rush her steps, while he stayed there, laughing.

His life with Yeojin would never lack fun.