Alice wondered, so did Jiu, why love was ever so hard, yet so rewarding?

Crack of Seasons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun was shining through the rusty windows of the school, the white curtains on the side allowing it to shine directly on Minji and Yoohyeon's desk. The brightness of the sun blinded them both, except they sat next to each other and couldn't have a single care for the world around them.

The wind blew through the window, swaying the curtains – side by side – mildly. Allowing them to enjoy a small breeze in the autumn weather. The two special plants on the window ledge, enjoying the small breeze and warming, yet bright, sunlight.

Soft hums came from both as they listened to their desired song on the shared headphones, connected to Yoohyeon's mp3. It was quite brave of her to slip this into school, but anything for Minji, although she hadn't admitted that to herself yet.

Minji, who was sitting at the window seat, was doodling on her notebook. Something she was found doing often, a way of her spilling her emotions and freedom. Perhaps, if she hadn't felt this way, her doodles might've been much happier. Most of her doodles are in blue or black, two of her favorite colors. Next to Minji, Yoohyeon was softly doodling with her orange pen. Drawing soft figures and animated characters, a specialty of hers.

Both their faces scrunched up as they focused on the task at hand.

Minji softly looked towards the window, as the sunlight slowly faded. She was curious, seeing as it was day, only to realize a mere cloud had blocked it. She fell into deep thought, squinting her eyes towards the outside.

Oz said: "Alice, it can come very fast or very slow."

Minji turned her head towards Yoohyeon as the latter asked, "What?" Her eyes shone brightly as she looked at the black-haired girl to her left.

Minji shook her head, indicating nothing was wrong. Simply her appreciating the beauty of nature, and possibly, the beauty of the blonde. Yoohyeon giggled and imitated her movement. Carelessly shaking her head left and right as she looked down towards her drawing.

Minji felt drawn to her, she had been for a while. Looking to her right, she gently smiled. Yoohyeon fell back into focus, dismissing around her. The latter blew the hair out of her face and used her left hand to put a piece behind her ear, hoping to stop the annoyance in her eyes.

She put it behind her ear, unaware of the loving sight she had presented to Minji. Minji felt herself stare at the younger, leaning forward and putting her head onto her hand. Truly lovesick, wasn't she? She focused on the visuals of the younger, her eyes tentatively looking at her eyes, moving down towards her lips. Tilting her head, she wondered what they tasted like.

Oh, the joyous feeling they both had that very morning. Now, with their headphones aside, or on their lap, and math book open they tried focusing. It felt as if the class was empty as if nobody except them were there. Except, it wasn't like that. Quite the contrary.

Minji's eyes drew to the board as the professor slammed his ruler against the chalkboard, calling out three people to solve the math problem at hand.

"Today's the third," The professor calmly said, his voice monotone, "Number 3, 13, and 23 come solve this problem."

The students went by numbers, which made it easier for the professor and the students.

A girl from the third row immediately stood up, pushing her chair back and taking confident steps towards the board. Seconds later, a girl from the second row stood up, lazily walking towards the board. Her annoyed expression.

Minji looked to her left, only to see Yoohyeon had still been sitting. Noticing the headphone in her left ear, she nudged the girl. Signaling to her about the professor's calling. Yoohyeon looked at her with shock and immediately stood up, looking at the black-haired girl with confusion. She hadn't known how to solve this, but regardless, was too late to solve the problem.

Her mp3 fell, disconnecting it from the headphones and causing the song to play out loud. Mamamoo's 'Um Oh Ah Yeah' song had been playing.

"That's enough for today. Kim Yoohyeon, come to the office." The professor said, noticing the tense figure of the named girl. The other students didn't pay attention to the backbenchers of class, knowing it was an often occurrence. Although, they did take a quick look back, wondering what was going on inside her head.

Yoohyeon threw herself back on her chair and shook her head, pushing her blonde hair to the side. Giving out a sigh, she felt bad for being in trouble again.

She watched the others get up and leave class, or talk to their friends, she envied them knowing she had to go to the office. Perhaps, ignoring the fact that she was Minji's only friend. That Minji's break would also go to waste because of her, but, lucky for her, Minji didn't mind.

------------

Minji stood outside the office, her bag swung on both shoulders, clung to her back; the blonde's bag clinging to her front. She held the straps of both bags and swung forwards and backward.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, the office door slid open and Yoohyeon stepped out. Not noticing Minji, she immediately closed the door and went toward her class. Perhaps to take her belongings, disappointed that she had to leave alone.

Minji immediately ran towards Yoohyeon, reached Yoohyeon, and walked to her right. They walked side-by-side, quite the whole way. Minji threw secret glances at Yoohyeon, only for the blonde to walk straight ahead.

Finally, reaching the front of their school, they passed through the bridge with Yoohyeon starting a conversation.

"I can't believe he took my mp3." The young blonde said.

"Got scolded a lot?" Minji vaguely asked although the answer was quite obvious. She had still been carrying both bags, yet she didn't mind.

Yoohyeon scratched her neck, hoping to scratch her itching back.

"Can you get this?" She annoyedly asked, although her annoyance wasn't towards the former. She walked in front of Minji, waiting for the black-haired girl's soothing hands.

Minji stepped forward and put her hands beneath the former's white school shirt. Retreating them and swiping the blonde's hair to the side, to open the buttons. After opening the buttons, she put her hand back inside the blonde's shirt and slowly brought it up.

Yoohyeon giggled, feeling a tingling sensation. It felt like fire, ice, and thunder all at once. She moved slightly, hoping to stop the goosebumps on her skin.

"Stay still, will you?" Minji said, hoping to get the intrusive thoughts out of her mind.

Her hand slowly went up. Bile rose in , causing her to gulp multiple times. She felt her hands brushing past the blonde's bra, making her slightly blush. She didn't notice she had stopped moving her hands, making them rest on Yoohyeon's bra strap.

"Yah! Where are you touching?" She jokingly said as she turned her head towards the black-haired girl.

The latter blushed and stuttered, struggling to form a sentence. "Ah, the- Your back..." She vaguely replied. She itched her back and fixed her bra strap, immediately taking her hands away.

"Here." She answered, rubbing her hands together and fixing the taller girl's shirt. Her blush remained.

Yoohyeon turned, inching close to Minji. Minji's blush intensified, as did her eyes. She looked at the girl's features, only to watch her retreat with her bag in hand. Minji hadn't noticed the blonde taking her bag back, too immersed in her beauty. Her heart made a thump.

The black-haired girl remained still as she watch the younger walk away with her bag slung on one shoulder. It was shocking for the older, secretly lifting her hand, taking a look, and pressing it onto her pounding heart. She took a couple of deep breaths to slow it down, but to no avail, it didn't work. She looked around with wide eyes and wondered what was happening to her.

----------------------

The sun shone brightly onto the pair as they walked through the streets. The trees doing their best to shield them from the burning gaze of the sun. The autumn breeze had gone, now replaced with the hot, afternoon weather of summer. After all, autumn hadn't started yet so it wasn't a surprise.

Minji held Yoohyeon's hand in an arm lock, both of them watching the best friends in front of them giggle and hold hands. Minji wondered, had they been too affectionate? Perhaps the 'best friends' in front of them, were a couple.

Or perhaps, she hadn't cared about them, only the reaction of the younger mattered. She wanted to know if the younger was ok with same-gender couples. If, by a slip of hope, she had a chance with her. But, of course, Minji hadn't dared to mention it. They just kept walking, both unbeknown to the fears of each.

Except, Yoohyeon finally gathered the courage to, "Look at the way they're holding hands."

They walked a few steps in silence, "Dating?"

Minji looked forward, her hands forming sweat – totally from the weather and not from what she was about to ask – "Is it weird?" She took a glance at the girl on her right.

She fakely smiled, hoping to mask her emotions when she got no response; and took another glance. "It's weird, right?"

Yoohyeon – who had been staring at the older for too long – looked forward. A few steps later, "It's not weird," she replied, looking to her left and noticing Minji in deep thought. Panicking, she quickly added, "but maybe it's better to not be around them."

Minji felt hope leaving her and took a glimpse at their linked arms, slowly unlinking them and holding the strap of her blue bag.

Oz said it rolls, walks, jumps, and flies.

Alice said that even if it rolls, walks, jumps, and flies, she wishes for it to brush against her.

-------------

The next day they took the same trip toward each other's houses. Except for this time, Yoohyeon was immersed in her Samsung phone. She had been swiping through pictures. What pictures may you ask? Well, it was quite complicated to explain.

To summarize, picture of boys.

She swiped through them one-by-one, in hopes of liking one of them, at least.

Minji, who had been crossing her arms throughout the whole walk, dropped them in defeat and gave out a long sigh. They took a couple more steps when Minji noticed Yoohyeon had distanced herself and almost ran into a tree. Quickly pulling her to her side, she gave out a slight shout. "Yah! Watch where you're going."

Yoohyeon, still immersed in her phone, decided to talk about something her friend had told her. "You know what?" She said, "A friend wants to introduce me to a guy. What should I say?"

Minji felt her heart pick up the pace. She looked to her right, into Yoohyeon's eyes. She gave out a chuckle, "Is he good-looking?"

Yoohyeon gave out a laugh and shoved Minji, "I don't know!" She playfully said.

Minji looked back at Yoohyeon once again, "Meet him if he is," She smiled as she said, "Let me see." Peeking her head toward Yoohyeon, she gave big doll eyes.

Yoohyeon quickly giggled and ran to her house. Leaving Minji to wonder what the ignited fire inside her resembled. Why she felt saddened by the news she had received.

Looking to the ground, she took a deep breath and walked towards her house.

---------

They both kneeled on the ground in front of the office, the glares of Minji towards her troublemaker of a friend visible. Their bags were on their laps as Yoohyeon smiled brightly.

Minji wondered why she had been friends with Yoohyeon at that very moment. Perhaps choking her would fix the problem? But, of course, she could never.

Minji gave the blonde a look up and down, "Shouldn't you be ready on time since I came to pick you up?" She bitterly asked, not known for being punished or late commonly.

"I wanted to! I woke up late because I went to bed late." Yoohyeon softly replied, regret laced in her voice yet a smile visible on her face.

"You don't even study." Minji playfully added, "What were you doing last night?" A creepy smile showed on her face, one shared among the teasing looks.

Yoohyeon glared playfully, messing her hair in the older's face for revenge. The latter covered her face and leaned to her left, away from Yoohyeon. "What are you doing?" Minji asked, only to quickly scramble to her position as she watched the office door slide.

Both of them held their arms above their head and look forward, their faces were shown as strict.

The teacher closed the door behind him, holding a plastic ruler in his right hand, "Keep your hands up." He said in his stoic, robotic voice.

He left the girls and walked down the hallway, unaware of Minji leaning forward and throwing her bag off her lap. They both slowly brought their hands down and fixed their hair, their faces filled with bright sneers.

------------------

Everyone was leaving class, the building was almost fully empty. School had ended, yet the two had to stay behind as punishment. More specifically, they had to clean the school for the next hour or so.

Yoohyeon was mindlessly swiping the floor with the small broom, wondering why they didn't have a taller one. Perhaps she hadn't considered the fact that she was too tall. She focused on the dusty parts of the floor, slightly bending and patting them all in the duster.

Next to Yoohyeon stood Minji, who had been mopping the floor with the half-century-old mop. It was probably much older than she was, which slightly disgusted her. Her lips were pierced in annoyance as she swiped the floor harshly, each swipe delivering an annoying screech. She took a glance at Yoohyeon, curious at how she was holding up. The younger looked beautiful, if not ethereal, and she couldn't help the double-take.

She stopped mopping, holding the mop and placing her elbow on it. With her chin on her hand, she looked at Yoohyeon directly. She smiled softly as she glimpsed outside, only to keep her eyes on the blonde beauty in front of her.

"Hey, did... you do it?" Minji asked.

Yoohyeon was confused, "What?"

Minji looked bewildered, jumbled with her feelings, but continuing nonetheless. "Well... Meet the guy your friend wanted to introduce."

She threw a teasing glance at the blonde, swaying side by

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter