June 1984

The First and Only
Please log in to read the full chapter

Camp Echo, Mt. Desert Island, Maine

Taemin aged 11; Minho aged 13

This summer had gotten off to a shaky start. The atmosphere was tense from the get go. When Minho's mother tried to get the now traditional annual picture of them, Taemin made a snide remark when Minho's hand clasped his shoulder, asking him why he wasn't saving that touch for his girlfriend. Taemin angrily stomped off to the cabin, Minho trailing behind at least ten feet at all times, and they unpacked in silence. In the mess hall, Taemin leaned against the wall rather than on Minho, keeping his hands tightened around his knees after his fingers brushed against Minho's one too many times. The way Minho yanked his hand back felt like a knife in his chest.

At activity sign-up, Taemin defiantly chose horseback riding, both because he knew Minho wasn’t a fan of horses, and because he was too embarrassed to tell Minho he didn't know how to swim when he suggested water skiing. When Minho begrudgingly signed up to ride alongside him, Taemin wasn't sure whether to be relieved or disappointed.

"I can't do this!" Minho finally admitted in a panicked shout after his horse began galloping around on its own. The counselor chased after him, slowing the horse to a halt. Minho's face was flushed pale, and Taemin laughed when he dismounted with shaky legs, nearly toppling over. He crossed to where Taemin was mounted on a mare, much smaller than the stallion Minho insisted on in a pointless display of masculinity.

"I missed your laugh," Minho said. "I miss your smile, too. I don't want things to be like this, Taemin. Why are you being so cold to me?"

Taemin's head sank. "It's hard, hyung. Every other thought is an impulse telling me to grab your hand or reach out for you. I'm trying to do what you want. It's still hard. I need time to get used to it," Taemin said quietly. "I still don't understand why I need to."

"Maybe," Minho began, "and please don't take this to mean I don't like you or I don't want to hang out with you because I love you to death, but maybe it would be easier if we were apart for a while? You seem to be enjoying this, yeah?"

Taemin nodded. He wasn't one for sports, but this was something he could do even with his smaller frame. He liked this horse. She smelled nice like hay and her hooves made a nice sound as she clopped through the grass and dirt.

"I'm gonna go to the lake, if you think you'll be okay alone. I mean, your horse seems nicer than mine." Minho patted her snout, and she huffed some irritated hot air out of her nostrils into his face. With a grimace, he took a ste

Please log in to read the full chapter